Russia-Ukraine War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natasha Bertrand @NatashaBertrand

Just in from Psaki: “President Biden will soon issue an Executive Order that will prohibit new investment, trade, and financing by U.S. persons to, from, or in the so-called DNR and LNR regions of Ukraine.”

Oh. So no sanctions on Russia after all?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Natasha Bertrand @NatashaBertrand

Just in from Psaki: “President Biden will soon issue an Executive Order that will prohibit new investment, trade, and financing by U.S. persons to, from, or in the so-called DNR and LNR regions of Ukraine.”

Oh. So no sanctions on Russia after all?
      LOL, if Trump was president the left would be going crazy about how soft he was on Putin.

Comment

• Putin seems to have our number. Pretty laughable sanctions by NATO members so far. Look at the messaging on the part of old Joe....gives his OK to Nordstream 2 in 2021, and then as the crisis begins messages that it would be fine with him if Russia just does a small territorial incursion into the Ukraine. Looking forward to seeing more "I'm proud of President Biden" threads on the phog net.

Comment

• Germany has frozen a new gas pipeline and the United Kingdom has hit Russian banks with sanctions in response to Russia's recognition of two separatist regions in Ukraine and a speech by President Vladimir Putin suggesting more belligerent aims.

https://www.riverineherald.com.au/wo...nctions-banks/

Comment

• ........and Biden has compared Putin to Cornpop.......

Comment

• I get the sense that Putin's end goal here is something that resembled the USSR.

"Peacekeeping operations" What is this? The Hunger Games?

Comment

• On the one hand, Ukraine wants to say that their country is being invaded by Russia. But I haven't seen any reports of Ukraine's army meeting the invasion force of the Russians. So which is it? These 2 actions don't seem to jive, if Ukraine wants to assert territorial claim, they should be fighting for it.

I understand Russia is larger, but you could at least make them pay a toll.

This just proves to me, that there are too many moving parts and lots of missing info.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Comment

• I was looking up why Boeing stock took a dip yesterday and turns out they get some of their supplies from Russia and Ukraine - https://www.fool.com/investing/2022/...crashed-today/

Why would a full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine be bad news for Boeing?

For one thing, it could interrupt supplies of Russian titanium that Boeing needs to build its airplanes. Judging from past comments by the company, Boeing spends roughly $9 billion every 10 years on Russian titanium.
                    Potentially, it could soon become outright illegal to do business with Russian companies, and that's a danger that could bite Boeing two ways.

On the one hand, sanctions against Russian purchases of American products could shut Boeing out of the Russian airline market entirely. On the other hand, they could threaten Boeing's supply of metals needed to build airplanes to sell to anybody else. Not only is Russia the world's No. 2 producer of the metal, but the No. 5 producer is Ukraine. (And suffice it to say that source of supply is looking increasingly tenuous.)

All that being said, Russia and Ukraine aren't the only places Boeing can get the titanium it needs. Japan is the No. 3 producer of the metal globally, and India is No. 6.
                    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                      On the one hand, Ukraine wants to say that their country is being invaded by Russia. But I haven't seen any reports of Ukraine's army meeting the invasion force of the Russians. So which is it? These 2 actions don't seem to jive, if Ukraine wants to assert territorial claim, they should be fighting for it.

This just proves to me, that there are too many moving parts and lots of missing info.
                      They are mainly fighting the Russian backed (maybe more accurately Russian induced ) Separatists in the Eastern Dombas Regions. When the full invasion begins, Russia will soon be invading from the SE Crimea (where Russian troops exist), the Eastern and NE Dombas regions (where the Russian backed Separatists military exists), the NW Belarus regions (who have Russian troops waiting), and the Northern Russian borders (where Russian troops exist). Russians are currently trying to disrupt Ukraine from within with pressure, and infrastructure attacks. The air attacks haven't begun yet, but when they do, the tanks will begin to roll in.
                      Last edited by Shockm; February 23, 2022, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                        On the one hand, Ukraine wants to say that their country is being invaded by Russia. But I haven't seen any reports of Ukraine's army meeting the invasion force of the Russians. So which is it? These 2 actions don't seem to jive, if Ukraine wants to assert territorial claim, they should be fighting for it.

The two regions invaded by Russia have had a government acting independently of Ukraine for the past 8 years. They were backed by Russia and have gained more and more power over the region in the last 5+ years. Russia is simply “formalizing” their colonization over the two regions which Ukraine had already let go.

Putin will not invade further in Ukraine in the near future.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

The two regions invaded by Russia have had a government acting independently of Ukraine for the past 8 years. They were backed by Russia and have gained more and more power over the region in the last 5+ years. Russia is simply “formalizing” their colonization over the two regions which Ukraine had already let go.

This is what I thought all along. Yet the Ukraine PM (I think) keeps wanting to say "nothing is a small invasion, it's an invasion" or something along those lines. If that is truly the case, then what are you waiting for, dude?

But I think most of this is all bullshit and the majority of these regions might be perfectly fine being part of Russia.

But Biden is in the pocket of Ukraine, lest we forget. And my guess is that Putin is more than happy to rub that crap in Joe's face and pick up some territory while he's at it.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

From Putin's speech the other day, I think he wants all of Ukraine, and maybe more of the former Soviet Empire. The Separatists in the Dombas regions were more linguistically tied to Russia (maybe 60/40), but they weren't all Russian speaking. We will see how it turns out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

From Putin's speech the other day, I think he wants all of Ukraine, and maybe more of the former Soviet Empire. The Separatists in the Dombas regions were more linguistically tied to Russia (maybe 60/40), but they weren't all Russian speaking. We will see how it turns out.
                              I think his speech was intentional is saying he wants all of Ukraine in that he will use that as his bargaining chip. “If you allow me to keep these areas, I will not invade further.”

Certainly he does have aspirations for more territory in Ukraine and elsewhere, but I think you will see more of the already tested slow game: Support insurgents and separatists, use diplomacy and threats to further the divide, annex them when the time is right in the future.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Interestingly - russian bot accounts in a concerted attacked targeted OSINT (open source intelligence) on Twitter and got their accounts suspended (by making fake violations reports). Twitter is now trying to figure out and fix.

Comment

Working...
                                X