• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe we were better off with mean tweets and world peace

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Maybe we were better off with mean tweets and world peace
      He definitely had a novel way of dealing with geopolitical events. Bluff and bluster can be effective when you're the #1 world superpower. I don't think it works as a long-term strategy though.

Comment

Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
        Wonder if there are any kind and understanding Ukrainian brides available for old baby boomers who aren't worth a billion....
        Don't need a billion, just need to be prepared for them to bounce once they get their full citizenship. Or so I hear......

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

He definitely had a novel way of dealing with geopolitical events. Bluff and bluster can be effective when you're the #1 world superpower. I don't think it works as a long-term strategy though.
          Two terms (8 years) isn't a long term strategy. But at least he didn't tell them that anything was off the table (everything should be on the table with few words said). Instead, Biden showed Putin his hand early, already informing Putin that Russia would receive severe sanctions.

Obama (with VP Biden) gave the Crimea to the Russians without a whimper.

Then Trump followed up by giving Ukrainians weapons to defend themselves. Biden should have given the Ukraine government more weapons to defend themselves (and kill more Russians if they invaded), but he was afraid that Russia would use that as an excuse to invade. I think they will create an excuse if they invade. They aren't listening to Biden anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

They aren't listening to Biden anymore.
            Anymore? IDon't think they ever have listened to Biden.

Sadly, when the Democrats spent four years dogging Russia, all for domestic political gains, there can be long term results. Add a new president from the party that dogged Russia, throw in a flaming case of dementia, and nobody in Moscow is giving him the time of day.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

My wife is a Missourian bride from a little town in the Ozarks. I think she would frown on this kind of activity so I will probably not be pursuing it in the future, but if I hear anything through the grapevine here in S. Colorado I will let you know.

Comment

Russia sent paratroopers into Kazakhstan this morning to put down the protest. Video yesterday of security forces shooting indiscriminately into the protesters with dozen killed. BBC reporter says today:

It sounds like a real battle going on the square. From what I can tell - the sound of gunfire, machine guns in addition to stun grenades.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  Russia sent paratroopers into Kazakhstan this morning to put down the protest. Video yesterday of security forces shooting indiscriminately into the protesters with dozen killed. BBC reporter says today:
                  I don't see how Russia would have entered Kazakhstan's sphere of influence (they border both Russia and China) without at least notifying, and having the blessing of China. Kazakhstan is a very diverse country, with a good number of ethnic groups (at least 40), religions (Muslim is probably the largest), as well as a country rich in minerals and natural resources.

Comment

I don't see how Russia would have entered Kazakhstan's sphere of influence (they border both Russia and China) without at least notifying, and having the blessing of China. Kazakhstan is a very diverse country, with a good number of ethnic groups (at least 40), religions (Muslim is probably the largest), as well as a country rich in minerals and natural resources.
                    It's just another former Soviet nation, why would they care what China thought?
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

It's just another former Soviet nation, why would they care what China thought?
                      China borders Kazakhstan just as Russia does. Russia doesn't have a majority of ethnic Russians that live in Kazakhstan, and China has designs on everything that is happening in their sphere, plus a huge interest in the natural resources wealth. Kazakhstan could cause a major conflict with Russia in that region, and it sounds like both countries are currently making efforts to not have conflicts.

Comment

As diverse as our troops are, Putin wouldn't dare

Comment

Kazakhstan belongs to the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO). CSTO members include Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, and Tajikistan.

Kazakhstan's government invoked the treaty and requested support. Russia has started a strategic airlift of Russian paratroopers and Belarus soldiers. Tajikistan is sending special forces.

Now this likely has impacted future operations in Ukraine in two ways.

1. Strategic assets are being diverted and used in Kaz which could delay potential actions in the Ukraine

2. Russia it seems thinks the insurrection in Kaz is being created by NATO/CIA which could make Russia more likely to move when they stabilize the situation "peace keep" Kaz to go into Ukraine.
                          Last edited by SB Shock; January 6, 2022, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            As diverse as our troops are, Putin wouldn't dare
                            What does diversity have to do with . . . oh, I see what you did there.

Comment

At present Germany seems to be the stumbling block for a NATO response, not so much old Joe Biden. The new Social Democrat chancellor is wavering and attempting do his own reset with Putin. The Greens, the junior partner in the coalition government, are staunchly opposed to the chancellor's position. They want to see firm German support for the Ukraine.

However I still don't see how sanctions alone can be that effective in dealing with Putin. He can see the inherent weakness in the alliance, so for him now may be the time to make his move.

Comment

Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
                                At present Germany seems to be the stumbling block for a NATO response, not so much old Joe Biden. The new Social Democrat chancellor is wavering and attempting do his own reset with Putin. The Greens, the junior partner in the coalition government, are staunchly opposed to the chancellor's position. They want to see firm German support for the Ukraine.

However I still don't see how sanctions alone can be that effective in dealing with Putin. He can see the inherent weakness in the alliance, so for him now may be the time to make his move.
                                Isn’t Germany’s current energy policy to stop all nuclear and go to Russian natural gas? A war with Putin could turn the lights off in Berlin.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X