Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biden

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    There were term limits passed by states, but it was declared unconstitutional by the SCOTUS. It would require an amendment to the Constitution for ALL STATES to enforce term limits on Congressional members. I believe that Doc stated above that the Congress isn't going to begin the Constitutional Amendment process of passing term limits, it would limit their own power and their own institution. I agree with him that while possible to pass, not probable.

    This was a close 5-4 decision, so it is possible that if the SCOTUS was faced again with this law from many states, they would rule differently. The obvious reason that the SCOTUS didn't pass it was because it only pertained to elected officials (Senate and House) of 23 of our 50 states.

    Senators and Representatives from 23 states faced term limits from 1990 to 1995, when the U.S. Supreme Court declared the practice unconstitutional with its decision in the case of U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton.

    In a 5-4 majority opinion written by Justice John Paul Stevens, the Supreme Court ruled that the states could not impose congressional term limits because the Constitution simply did not grant them the power to do so.

    In his majority opinion, Justice Stevens noted that allowing the states to impose term limits would result in "a patchwork of state qualifications" for members of the U.S. Congress, a situation he suggested would be inconsistent with "the uniformity and national character that the framers sought to ensure." In a concurring opinion, Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote that state-specific term limits would jeopardize the "relationship between the people of the Nation and their National Government."
    I definitely have to disagree with SCOTUS here. We're talking about representatives from the States and the States should be able to choose how they want to work in this sense. It wasn't eliminating representation by blocking parties or anything of that nature, though there is evidence of States essentially doing that elsewhere. It's only stopping career politicians who lose touch with reality by living in a taxpayer sponsored bubble in which they grow filthy rich. I may have to go back and re-read some things as it's been a bit, but I would think that this would fall under Article X.

    Though I also agree that if people weren't blinded by party affiliation and such that they could enforce term limits without needing the government to step in, but too many blindly support certain people. Not always the case as there are those that truly believe in certain people, but many vote for a letter and don't care about anything else. Many of those same people will still cry for term limits which part of me finds hysterical.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

      I definitely have to disagree with SCOTUS here. We're talking about representatives from the States and the States should be able to choose how they want to work in this sense. It wasn't eliminating representation by blocking parties or anything of that nature, though there is evidence of States essentially doing that elsewhere. It's only stopping career politicians who lose touch with reality by living in a taxpayer sponsored bubble in which they grow filthy rich. I may have to go back and re-read some things as it's been a bit, but I would think that this would fall under Article X.

      Though I also agree that if people weren't blinded by party affiliation and such that they could enforce term limits without needing the government to step in, but too many blindly support certain people. Not always the case as there are those that truly believe in certain people, but many vote for a letter and don't care about anything else. Many of those same people will still cry for term limits which part of me finds hysterical.
      Anthony Kennedy's opinion in in the case of U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton., uses really bad logic, and makes little sense. How much lower can the public's opinion of their federal elected officials get?

      Stevens opinion is at least understandable and uses some logic, even if people disagree.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by WstateU View Post


        He cannot seriously believe this or being saying this with a straight face...

        Comment


        • Biden lied, not fibbed, out and out lied about where the US is on abortion compared to the rest of the world.

          Nobody calls him out, nobody cares. They lie to win votes and stay in power. They all must go.

          Comment


          • https://www.facebook.com/reel/443883034225981?fs=e&s=cl
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

            Comment


            • "This is about the future of the Liberal World Order and we have to stand firm."

              https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...hOjGjIkwZo3s4M

              Comment


              • Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                "This is about the future of the Liberal World Order and we have to stand firm."

                https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...hOjGjIkwZo3s4M
                I'd even be upset if someone said "the Conservative World Order and we have to stand firm", so you can only imagine p*ssed off I am about this.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  "This is about the future of the Liberal World Order and we have to stand firm."

                  https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...hOjGjIkwZo3s4M
                  WTF?!?!
                  Kung Wu say war not determine who is right, war determine who is left.

                  Comment


                  • https://mobile.twitter.com/CurtisHou...96745371975680

                    Imagine thinking world stability depended on abortion on demand.

                    Comment


                    • Comment


                      • Biden's DOJ is suing Arizona because Arizona just passed a law requiring proof of citizenship to vote in federal elections.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          Biden's DOJ is suing Arizona because Arizona just passed a law requiring proof of citizenship to vote in federal elections.
                          I haven't seen this anywhere, but every state runs their own elections. There is no law (from our Federal Congress) agency, or mechanism for the federal government to run an election. In Kansas, we have a Secretary of State who has county agencies that administer our elections. In Sedgwick County, we have an Election Commissioner who handles our elections, under the direction of the Secretary of State. Kansas requires voters show a proof of citizenship too. They require a driver's license, and I believe that only citizens can have a driver's license in Kansas.

                          https://news.yahoo.com/want-know-run...104308944.html
                          Last edited by Shockm; July 5, 2022, 07:15 PM.

                          Comment


                          • https://news.yahoo.com/doj-sues-ariz...ycsrp_catchall

                            you can see it here

                            Comment


                            • https://markets.businessinsider.com/...a-crude-2022-7

                              the son of a ***** released 5 million barrels of oil from the Strategic Oil Reserve and shipped it overseas

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                https://markets.businessinsider.com/...a-crude-2022-7

                                the son of a ***** released 5 million barrels of oil from the Strategic Oil Reserve and shipped it overseas
                                WTF man!! I seriously think he hates the US and relishes this sh!t. I can't think of any other explanation because nobody could be that stupid.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X