Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Let me spell it out for you: the absence of masks creates the necessity for lockdowns.
    I'm fine with masks. Next.

The virus is real.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Your idea on how to handle it is to deny the reality of the death count and blame the infections on more testing.

P.S. THE VIRUS IS REAL.

P.P.S. I cannot believe we hit 2k deaths yesterday a month and a half ahead of schedule. I am livid!

P.P.P.S. Merry ****ing Christmas.
      There’s a schedule out?

Wasn’t there a 5 million death projection laid out in April by somebody? Or did our drastic measures save that off by 95%?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Oh and the virus is real. I wear a mask.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

There’s a schedule out?

Wasn’t there a 5 million death projection laid out in April by somebody? Or did our drastic measures save that off by 95%?

Comment

• I’m sure that thing is airtight with projecting deaths.

Wait, we’re averaging 2,000 daily deaths now? My data shows 1266. Not good. But not 2000.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

I don't mean to be nit-picky, but citing military life and China doesn't seem like it's going to persuade those saying that Covid regulations are tyrannical.

Mainly because in the military, you do WTF your told by anyone above you, and failure to do so means your ass. And it's a pretty strict chain of command of who can tell you what to do (so I'm told).

And China is literally a communist dictatorship. (again, so I'm told).
              So are we, in time of war. Just check the history books. The government can absolutely take over manufacturing (which Trump did a little of at the start) and conscript your ass and send you off to die. I take this pandemic seriously, and so does the rest of the world. Excluding America.

Free societies and national emergencies; i.e. war, pandemics, etc. do not mix.

You sacrifice and pay a little now, or you create an alternative reality and pay a lot more later.

We. Are. Not. In. Danger. Of. Becoming. China.

Comment

So are we, in time of war. Just check the history books. The government can absolutely take over manufacturing (which Trump did a little of at the start) and conscript your ass and send you off to die. I take this pandemic seriously, and so does the rest of the world. Excluding America.

Free societies and national emergencies; i.e. war, pandemics, etc. do not mix.

You sacrifice and pay a little now, or you create an alternative reality and pay a lot more later.

We. Are. Not. In. Danger. Of. Becoming. China.
                What do we need to sacrifice? What are you sacrificing, so that I know what I need to.

Who needs to sacrifice their jobs? Most of us are already sacrificing our children's education.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

What do we need to sacrifice? What are you sacrificing, so that I know what I need to.

Who needs to sacrifice their jobs? Most of us are already sacrificing our children's education.
                  What do you need to sacrifice? Well... you asked!

You need to wear a mask at all times when indoors around strangers.

You should not be inside a building like a gym, church, restaurant, or bar. But absolutely support restaurants by carrying out or using the drive-thru. And absolutely support your church by watching services online or congregating in the parking lot for outdoor services.

Do Not assemble with your extended family for Thanksgiving or Christmas, but instead use phone calls and video conferencing. Meeting at parks should be okay, but masks are likely necessary unless everybody is religious about spacing and/or the air is really moving. (I'm starting to rethink the risk of infections outdoors when in a large group for an extended period of time due to a friend that was part of a super-spreader event at a lake party - nothing indoors)

That should be all.

If America would follow these guidelines for 4 weeks we'd cut the infections and deaths by 75% (I pulled that number out of my ass).

I don't have much to add on the school problem other than the kids shouldn't be bitchin'. And, if you have a PC, why is their education suffering? This country educated itself for centuries with pencils, paper, and a chalkboard. Am I to believe that drills and assignments can't be completed online?

P.S. I'll put my personal sacrifice up against anyone's short of losing their business. My business is not negatively affected by the pandemic. My personal discipline is tailormade for this situation. I eat stress and resistance for breakfast. That being said, I am hurting from the social isolation and lack of normalcy just as much as the next guy or gal. :(

Comment

You should not be inside a building like a gym, church, restaurant, or bar. But absolutely support restaurants by carrying out or using the drive-thru. And absolutely support your church by watching services online or congregating in the parking lot for outdoor services.

Do Not assemble with your extended family for Thanksgiving or Christmas, but instead use phone calls and video conferencing. Meeting at parks should be okay, but masks are likely necessary unless everybody is religious about spacing and/or the air is really moving. (I'm starting to rethink the risk of infections outdoors when in a large group for an extended period of time due to a friend that was part of a super-spreader event at a lake party - nothing indoors)

That should be all.

If America would follow these guidelines for 4 weeks we'd cut the infections and deaths by 75% (I pulled that number out of my ass).

I don't have much to add on the school problem other than the kids shouldn't be bitchin'. And, if you have a PC, why is their education suffering? This country educated itself for centuries with pencils, paper, and a chalkboard. Am I to believe that drills and assignments can't be completed online?

P.S. I'll put my personal sacrifice up against anyone's short of losing their business. My business is not negatively affected by the pandemic. My personal discipline is tailormade for this situation. I eat stress and resistance for breakfast. That being said, I am hurting from the social isolation and lack of normalcy just as much as the next guy or gal. :(
                    I don't have an issue with masks. Most everyone is wearing them where I live. I have no idea if they work or not, but, yes keep wearing them.

I don't have an issue with those establishments being closed, but I also think that if the government mandates it, compensation of any loses is due. I am not sure if churches are having services or not, and I don't care.

If you want to attend Thanksgiving or Christmas, I don't think it's a problem. Personally, I am not going to meet with our family since my wife just had it and our folks are elderly. I think that's common sense. If you are sick, you don't go. In fact, I think that if you are sick at all, you shouldn't go anywhere!! If you have been stuck inside for months, wearing your mask when you go to the store and haven't gone to bars and restaurants, then you should be fine. If you have elderly relatives, then don't risk it. If I can make those decisions, I don't feel like it is my place to tell someone else they can't.

Schools -- Well, you would think online would be fine, but I'm just gonna say that we have some lazy ass teachers. I'm just gonna say that 50% of the curriculum is being taught at this point.

I think that at the end of the day, people need to take responsibility with their own lives and risks they are willing to take. They have to deal with it if they infect their parent not me.

I can say that at least in your case, you aren't screeching on this board and then meeting your friends at Tanners for an afternoon beer. So for that, I commend you.

Because I know a lot of people who are.

Comment

That should be all.

Whew, you have no clue the devastation this isolation has on the mentally fragile. You lose a lot of credibility with post like this.

Trade you the councelling bills I am paying for the family of 5 (now 4) I moved into my house 8 years ago for what we thought was a "short term" convalescent stay. You need to stop talking about the "inconsequential" effects the solution you advocate is causing.

I am not whining, at all. I am thankful that my wife and I have the emotional and financial resources to help, but the burden of watching their struggles is stressful at times. Fortunately my wife and I have been able to get away for a night here and there when the quarantine was lifted. I don't see 2 of 4 ever recovering, but miracles do happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post

Whew, you have no clue the devastation this isolation has on the mentally fragile. You lose a lot of credibility with post like this.

Trade you the councelling bills I am paying for the family of 5 (now 4) I moved into my house 8 years ago for what we thought was a "short term" convalescent stay. You need to stop talking about the "inconsequential" effects the solution you advocate is causing.

I am not whining, at all. I am thankful that my wife and I have the emotional and financial resources to help, but the burden of watching their struggles is stressful at times. Fortunately my wife and I have been able to get away for a night here and there when the quarantine was lifted. I don't see 2 of 4 ever recovering, but miracles do happen.
                        Thanks for sharing your story.

The length this plague has endured in our country is not what anybody wanted. I would have preferred we kept it under control from the start but... Liberty. If we would have had a coordinated national response early on we would have had similar experiences to Australia or Germany. And much less psychological pain. We would have paid a little in the beginning instead of paying a lot over 9 months. And this nightmare is far from over.

Comment

I don't have an issue with masks. Most everyone is wearing them where I live. I have no idea if they work or not, but, yes keep wearing them.

I don't have an issue with those establishments being closed, but I also think that if the government mandates it, compensation of any loses is due. I am not sure if churches are having services or not, and I don't care.

If you want to attend Thanksgiving or Christmas, I don't think it's a problem. Personally, I am not going to meet with our family since my wife just had it and our folks are elderly. I think that's common sense. If you are sick, you don't go. In fact, I think that if you are sick at all, you shouldn't go anywhere!! If you have been stuck inside for months, wearing your mask when you go to the store and haven't gone to bars and restaurants, then you should be fine. If you have elderly relatives, then don't risk it. If I can make those decisions, I don't feel like it is my place to tell someone else they can't.

Schools -- Well, you would think online would be fine, but I'm just gonna say that we have some lazy ass teachers. I'm just gonna say that 50% of the curriculum is being taught at this point.

I think that at the end of the day, people need to take responsibility with their own lives and risks they are willing to take. They have to deal with it if they infect their parent not me.

I can say that at least in your case, you aren't screeching on this board and then meeting your friends at Tanners for an afternoon beer. So for that, I commend you.

Because I know a lot of people who are.
                          We needed everybody wearing masks at the very start. They are much less effective the more concentrated it gets in a community.

I agree on compensation.

The problem with holiday gatherings is 30-40% of the infected don't know they're sick, but the virus they carry is just as potent.

The teachers may be lazy, but the computers sure aren't. I have cousins who have homeschooled kids that graduated way earlier because they could study at their own pace. They also scored VERY high on their college entrace exams. I'm sorry for what may be out of your control.

Unfortunately, when people take "responsibility with their own lives" and it falls contrary to the CDC's guidance, the rest of us have to bear the costs. This is why central government mandates are essential in times of war or pandemic. The costs to general society for non-compliance are way too high.

I have not been inside a restaurant or bar since at least March. I do go into stores with a mask. I rarely visit my parents, but when I do we're on the deck while they complain. I returned an invite to a family member's wedding (which clearly pissed them off), and have shut down the vast majority of my social life. I have visited a few gals in parks and such (lol) and one I dated for a short while and took the risk for some action. I'm pretty much numb at this point.

My rage today is mostly theatrical, but does offer some catharsis. When I hear MKR or 'Fever speak in Covidiolese, I direct my rage for an "invisible" army of deniers towards them. So essentially (in my mind) I am punishing, in the only way I know how, those who I deem as causing this virus to extend into perpetuity. I firmly believe, had we enjoyed solid/firm leadership from the start, we would be living "fairly" normal lives today like the Australians, Taiwanese, Koreans, Japanese, Germans, etc.

Good day to you sir and thanks for the exchange!

Comment

• mrs p tested positive Monday. She was kinda sick a day and a half prior. Seems fine now, just tired. She got a registered letter yesterday from the County Health Dept (7 bucks postage,) supposed to be signed for, but wasn't. Today she gets a strongly worded letter from the County Attorney basically demanding that she isolate at our home address.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              mrs p tested positive Monday. She was kinda sick a day and a half prior. Seems fine now, just tired. She got a registered letter yesterday from the County Health Dept (7 bucks postage,) supposed to be signed for, but wasn't. Today she gets a strongly worded letter from the County Attorney basically demanding that she isolate at our home address.
                              Sorry brother. Didn't you say she had some extra risks? Keep a close eye on her and don't hesitate to call the doc right away. Get some vit. C, D, and zinc in her. "Airborne" will take care of the C and Zinc.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story.

The length this plague has endured in our country is not what anybody wanted. I would have preferred we kept it under control from the start but... Liberty. If we would have had a coordinated national response early on we would have had similar experiences to Australia or Germany. And much less psychological pain. We would have paid a little in the beginning instead of paying a lot over 9 months. And this nightmare is far from over.
                                So Australians and Germans are all out having a good time in the streets now since they defeated it with their early control?
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X