Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Does anyone think Dr. Whipple sounds eerily similar to a particular Shockernetter?
    Nope. He doesn’t make up a bunch of **** to make his delusions seem real. He just says nonsense and leaves it at that.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        What did he say this time?
        Dude is spending way too much time on Twitter. But he's an arrogant politician who has claim he's a doctor publicly, so you know he's going to point out how right he is as often as possible.

(And I spend too much time on Twitter too). Here's another one, am I reading too much into it?

Dr. Brandon Whipple
        @BWhippleKS
        Aug 22

The school board voted to postpone school sports, not the City Council (where I work). We'll see how it goes for these private schools. Thanks for the invitation to the Libertarian event but I'll have to pass. Take care.

"We'll see how it goes for these private schools"? I asked my wife and 3 friends and they all read it the same way. Are we all wrong? Sure sounds like he's blissfully waiting for bad news.

For the record, this comment was in response to a list of schools still planning to participate in sports, most of which were area schools that are NOT private. A few were (KMC & BC most prominent).

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Dude is spending way too much time on Twitter. But he's an arrogant politician who has claim he's a doctor publicly, so you know he's going to point out how right he is as often as possible.

(And I spend too much time on Twitter too). Here's another one, am I reading too much into it?

Dr. Brandon Whipple
          @BWhippleKS
          Aug 22

The school board voted to postpone school sports, not the City Council (where I work). We'll see how it goes for these private schools. Thanks for the invitation to the Libertarian event but I'll have to pass. Take care.

"We'll see how it goes for these private schools"? I asked my wife and 3 friends and they all read it the same way. Are we all wrong? Sure sounds like he's blissfully waiting for bad news.

For the record, this comment was in response to a list of schools still planning to participate in sports, most of which were area schools that are NOT private. A few were (KMC & BC most prominent).
          I think he can’t see it as possible that he’s wrong, so he just assumes it will go poorly. One notch up from hoping they will fail.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I think he can’t see it as possible that he’s wrong, so he just assumes it will go poorly. One notch up from hoping they will fail.

Yet another example of why you're one of, if not the most, fair, honest and also informed poster on this fine forum. Excellent analysis, and thank you.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Why, because their 30-something, 40-something year old parents might get sick for 4 or 5 days? Maybe those young, healthy parents should get antibodies so that they don't have to live in fear when they are 70+?
                First-off, I don't know what percentage of varsity HS parents are in their 30's but... I'm gonna guess few. Parents will be in their 40's on up.

So as I've stated many times before, there are bad outcomes with Covid-19 beyond just dying. There is a syndrome occurring and it's only going to get worse. This is not the Flu.

We have one person in this forum (mid 50's) that described day 3 of Covid as "considering death a reasonable alternative". He had a very mild case. I do not know if he has any lingering symptoms.

Yes, parents should get the antibodies, and they will under safe circumstances when the vaccine is released. Anybody proposing that folks need to just start going out and getting infected so they can "get the antibodies" is either cognitively challenged or unfamiliar with the reality of the situation - perhaps due to getting all their medical news from Fox News.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...yndrome-2020-8

Doctors are finding striking similarities between chronic fatigue syndrome and long-term coronavirus symptoms

Many COVID-19 patients who have long-lasting symptoms report feeling weak or foggy after too much physical activity.
                That's a hallmark of chronic fatigue syndrome, an often debilitating illness that can last several years or more.
                Researchers are just beginning the understand the link between the coronavirus and chronic fatigue syndrome.
                A follow-up study of SARS patients in Hong Kong found that 27% met the CDC's clinical criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome four years after their illness began. Another study of 109 SARS patients in Toronto found that more than half the patients hadn't returned to work due to persistent fatigue and weakness a year after they were discharged from the ICU.

Some doctors suspect that COVID-19 patients may wind up out of work for long periods as well.

"One can anticipate — and this is a prediction — that a significant proportion of the population who were employed when they became ill with [COVID-19] may not be able to return to work in any meaningful way," Dr. Harvey Moldofsky, a professor emeritus at the University of Toronto who studied SARS patients, told Business Insider. "Can you imagine the economic impact?"
                An overactive inflammatory response could impair the nervous system, resulting in depleted energy, muscle weakness, or trouble concentrating or sleeping. Moldofsky's 2011 study of SARS patients in Toronto found evidence that the virus had crossed the patients' blood-brain barriers, leading to long-lasting neurological problems that disrupted their sleep and cognition. The new coronavirus could operate in a similar manner.

"It's an inflammatory disease that is interfering with the conduction of the normal pathways of the nervous system," Moldofsky said.

Dr. Noah Greenspan, a physical therapist in New York City who works with long-haul coronavirus patients, said he's seen many patients for whom the simple act of sitting up or walking across a room makes their heart race or blood pressure drop. That's likely because the coronavirus is disrupting their autonomic nervous system, he said, which regulates blood pressure, heart rate, and body temperature.

https://theconversation.com/im-a-cov...-months-143676

I’m a COVID-19 long-hauler and an epidemiologist – here’s how it feels when symptoms last for months
                Imagine being young and healthy, a nonsmoker with no preexisting health conditions, and then waking up one morning feeling like you were being suffocated by an unseen force. Back in March, this was my reality.

I had just returned from Europe, and roughly 10 days later started having flu-like symptoms. I became weak overnight and had trouble breathing. It felt like jogging in the Rocky Mountains without being in condition, only I wasn’t moving. I went to the hospital, where I was tested for COVID-19.

I was one of the first people in Texas given a non-FDA-approved test. My results came back negative. As a social epidemiologist who deals with big data, I was certain it was a false negative.

More than four months later, the symptoms have not gone away. My heart still races even though I am resting. I cannot stay in the sun for long periods; it zaps all of my energy. I have gastrointestinal problems, ringing in the ears and chest pain.

I’m what’s known as a long-hauler – part of a growing group of people who have COVID-19 and have never fully recovered. Fatigue is one of the most common persistent symptoms, but there are many others, including the cognitive effects people often describe as brain fog. As more patients face these persistent symptoms, employers will have to find ways to work with them. It’s too soon to say we’re disabled, but it’s also too soon to know how long the damage will last.

So yeah... to reiterate once again, Covid-19 is a novel coronavirus, it shares some similarities to other coronaviruses, and in other ways it is totally foreign... kinda like aliens from outer space...

We are going to have a vaccine for sure sooner rather than later. It makes absolutely no sense risking lives (and quality of life) for a few recreational activities. That being said, I would be all for the temporary on-campus housing like I've mentioned prior. That would be a win-win for athletes as well as parents. Short of that though, it will have to be a case-by-case basis in different regions around the country. If the pandemic is raging in a particular city, they're gonna have to hold off on opening up. And in cities that are low-spread, they will likely create their own hot spot by opening up. It's a tough situation.

My advice remains: Do your best to not get infected by this insidious, alien virus. There are many unknowns. The best strategy is to be proactive and not allow it to enter you. Eventually everyone will have their chance to taste the Corona in a few short months. Stay vigilant and stop the spread!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

First-off, I don't know what percentage of varsity HS parents are in their 30's but... I'm gonna guess few. Parents will be in their 40's on up.

So as I've stated many times before, there are bad outcomes with Covid-19 beyond just dying. There is a syndrome occurring and it's only going to get worse. This is not the Flu.

We have one person in this forum (mid 50's) that described day 3 of Covid as "considering death a reasonable alternative". He had a very mild case. I do not know if he has any lingering symptoms.

Yes, parents should get the antibodies, and they will under safe circumstances when the vaccine is released. Anybody proposing that folks need to just start going out and getting infected so they can "get the antibodies" is either cognitively challenged or unfamiliar with the reality of the situation - perhaps due to getting all their medical news from Fox News.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...yndrome-2020-8

https://theconversation.com/im-a-cov...-months-143676

So yeah... to reiterate once again, Covid-19 is a novel coronavirus, it shares some similarities to other coronaviruses, and in other ways it is totally foreign... kinda like aliens from outer space...

We are going to have a vaccine for sure sooner rather than later. It makes absolutely no sense risking lives (and quality of life) for a few recreational activities. That being said, I would be all for the temporary on-campus housing like I've mentioned prior. That would be a win-win for athletes as well as parents. Short of that though, it will have to be a case-by-case basis in different regions around the country. If the pandemic is raging in a particular city, they're gonna have to hold off on opening up. And in cities that are low-spread, they will likely create their own hot spot by opening up. It's a tough situation.

My advice remains: Do your best to not get infected by this insidious, alien virus. There are many unknowns. The best strategy is to be proactive and not allow it to enter you. Eventually everyone will have their chance to taste the Corona in a few short months. Stay vigilant and stop the spread!
                  One cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is mental illness. I wonder if people being quarantined and with no outlets for socializing is contributing?
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Comment

One cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is mental illness. I wonder if people being quarantined and with no outlets for socializing is contributing?
                      My efforts to social distance is definitely affecting me mentally/emotionally. It's tough. But I'm a man and I will do what is right. I exercise, meditate, and socialize as much as possible. Posting on this site excluded - this counts as charity... :P

I also take risks meeting the occasional "strange woman" in parks and such. That sounds really bad lol. This weekend it will be in a hotel. No I don't partake in evening women. I met a really fine person and have been slowly building something over the last month and a half. She's not a Covidiot either which is refreshing. Her kids just restarted school so we skipped last weekend... for obvious reasons... (always a risk analyst) :P

Comment

My efforts to social distance is definitely affecting me mentally/emotionally. It's tough. But I'm a man and I will do what is right. I exercise, meditate, and socialize as much as possible. Posting on this site excluded - this counts as charity... :P

I also take risks meeting the occasional "strange woman" in parks and such. That sounds really bad lol. This weekend it will be in a hotel. No I don't partake in evening women. I met a really fine person and have been slowly building something over the last month and a half. She's not a Covidiot either which is refreshing. Her kids just restarted school so we skipped last weekend... for obvious reasons... (always a risk analyst) :P
                        I assume that you will bang her and you will both be fully masked?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

I assume that you will bang her and you will both be fully masked?
                          Yes, our animal costumes come with n95 masks.

All joking aside:

I'm going to try not to bang her. I'm a gentleman you should know. That will be up to the gods... and how much she tries to seduce me.

I'll wear my mask in the lobby, but not when we're alone. We've already made out at the park. :P

I'm not perfect.

Comment

Yes, our animal costumes come with n95 masks.

All joking aside:

I'm going to try not to bang her. I'm a gentleman you should know. That will be up to the gods... and how much she tries to seduce me.

I'll wear my mask in the lobby, but not when we're alone. We've already made out at the park. :P

I'm not perfect.
                            A hotel meetup is definitely quite classy.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

A hotel meetup is definitely quite classy.
                              It’s the best set up if you want to escape the reality that is your life. Also, adults making out in parks is a totally normal and healthy thing. I bet cold learned some new techniques from those sophomores he parked next to.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• place_image-image-7ad84e6f-f42e-4cb3-a756-08b06c35649f.jpg When I'm meeting classy broads in Wichita, I always take them to the Braidwood Inn.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I have no idea how this thread got to here, but sometimes you just have to throw a Planes, Trains and Automobiles reference into the mix.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X