No announcement yet.

Another Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is interactive map of the KGS locations. You can just click on the Greed triangles and see the semi-realtime monitoring

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
      I was at the web site for the Sunflower and saw they had an article a couple weeks ago where they interviewed William Parcell, WSU’s Geology Department Chair - https://thesunflower.com/53885/news/...s-earthquakes/ - and this part was interesting:

The investigation done a couple weeks ago basically just said drilling and disposal hadn't changed, but maybe there are issues with the water still not staying put. We also had a dry summer and fall, so the rain yesterday could have soaked in quite a bit if there are deep drought cracks. Anything over 3.5 triggers an investigation by the state, so it'll be interesting to see what they say.
      That's interesting, as I read something recently from an expert that said those things had nothing to do with recent quakes. Something to do with depth and locations.

Wish I could remember who it was or where I read it.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

That's interesting, as I read something recently from an expert that said those things had nothing to do with recent quakes. Something to do with depth and locations.

Wish I could remember who it was or where I read it.
        A few pages back there was a link to an article on KAKE - https://www.kake.com/story/43096185/...ivity-kcc-says - and the state seemed to imply then it wasn't fracking circumstances related. It mentioned:

The KCC's investigation examined many factors including:
        • A review of historical disposal well records for Arbuckle or Granite Wash injection wells within a six-mile radius of the earthquakes. Five wells were located in the radius. No recent volume increases were found.
        • Any new drilling activity within three miles of the epicenters. No new wells were recently completed within the area.
        • Spot checks of the wells within the radius area to verify compliance with permit conditions.
        So bullet points one and two could be right, but if the water is going outside the area, then that could be what the WSU guy was talking about. That may be what the third bullet checked, but I'm not sure they could really tell what's happening with the water, especially with just spot checks.
        Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• KWCH had a story on their news Monday saying there was 2.2 m earthquake early Monday am in the same area as the others (http://maps.kgs.ku.edu/earthquake_mi...&id=1001466370) and they interviewed a retired WSU geology professor who said there may be a fault where they're happening that hasn't been discovered in the past. He also said the KGS has better data coverage than the USGS. Here's a link to the article and video - https://www.kwch.com/2021/01/05/geol...a-earthquakes/
          Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; January 4, 2021, 10:47 PM.
          Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• I thought I might have felt a mild bump early this morning. I've been wondering whether USGS or KGS had the better data as there were consistently some differences.

Comment

• WTF was that?

Comment

• Wow

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  WTF was that?
                  Damn. We had one that seemed to last longer than normal followed shortly thereafter with a big popper and shaker. Around 6'30 CDT.

Mother Nature bringing in daylight savings time with a bang this year.

Comment

• According to KGS it was a 3.6 emanting from the 13th and Greenwich area. Same general location the swarm we had in December was located.

http://maps.kgs.ku.edu/earthquake_mi...&id=1001467326

Per KSN news USGS reported 2 quakes just minutes apart at 3.4 and 3.5 magnitude.

https://www.ksn.com/news/local/wake-...-early-sunday/

There was number 3 just now at 7:02 am CDT. A 3.2 near the Wichita Country Club just SE of 13th and Rock Road.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 14, 2021, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• Might be in for a repeat of that November Saturday when we had about half a dozen over a couple of hours. Kind of feels like the "big" one is yet to happen in this sequence.

Comment

• Sounded almost like an explosion.

Comment

• I hadn’t felt any of these on the northwest side but those ones finally did it. Wow
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Might be in for a repeat of that November Saturday when we had about half a dozen over a couple of hours. Kind of feels like the "big" one is yet to happen in this sequence.
                            By the time the "big" one hits, we'll all probably be pushing up daisies.

Comment

• Felt all three as quick jolts to the house here in BuCo.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• The wife asked me if I felt them. My reply "I always feel the earth move with you sweetheart" was not the response she was looking for or expecting. But really in my defense she should have totally expected my response.

Comment

Working...
                                X