No announcement yet.

Another Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One that struck in Croatia yesterday - not sure if it was the main one or an aftershock - was caught on camera in the video below -

I wonder if KWCH captured something this morning on their cameras on their early morning news. I checked their site and they had a story only so maybe there's no video.
    Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; December 30, 2020, 10:43 AM.
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
      By far the strongest one I've felt at 13th & Greenwich. If a 3.9 is that much stronger than a 3.7...I'd hate to experience something in the fours centered so close.
      Well a 4 is 10 times the amplitude and 32 times the energy released by a 3. According to this calculator on the USGS site a 3.9 is 1.584 times bigger than a 3.7 and is 1.995 times stronger (energy release).

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program, responsible for monitoring, reporting, and researching earthquakes and earthquake hazards

A magnitude 4.5 would be 4 times bigger and about 8 times stronger than a 3.9. So yeah, let's hope we topped out with this one.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 30, 2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Kansas Earthquake.jpg
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
          One that struck in Croatia yesterday - not sure if it was the main one or an aftershock - was caught on camera in the video below -

I wonder if KWCH captured something this morning on their cameras on their early morning news. I checked their site and they had a story only so maybe there's no video.
          Yipes Stripes Beechnut Gum!
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I wonder if the one this morning is more of a "frost quake" type than a regular earthquake. Here's a short video on what those are - https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/frost-quake-60730929 - but basically all the rain we had yesterday gets down in the ground and then a freeze expands the ground. We're suppose to get 3 - 6 inches of snow on Friday, so if there are more quakes over the weekend they may be weather related.

Or it could all be related to the outdoor ice rink at the Chicken N Pickle at 13th and Greenwich since the quakes started happening shortly after it opened - maybe Mother Nature doesn't like a skating rink there and is determined to crack it and destroy it :)

Comment

• I live between Towanda and Potwin and felt the one at 5:05. It rattled d the house and shook pretty good. It seemed to last a while and I could hear it. First one I have felt in a while, but it was pretty good sized.
              Go Shocks!

Comment

• Is Wichita going to continue to have these small quakes, is there any sense that they will either diminish or get worse?

Comment

By far the strongest one I've felt at 13th & Greenwich. If a 3.9 is that much stronger than a 3.7...I'd hate to experience something in the fours centered so close.
                  Each whole number step up in magnitude increase the energy released by a factor of 31. So going from 3 to 4, is 31x more energy released. 3 to 5 is 961x more energy released.

Comment

• I was at the web site for the Sunflower and saw they had an article a couple weeks ago where they interviewed William Parcell, WSU’s Geology Department Chair - https://thesunflower.com/53885/news/...s-earthquakes/ - and this part was interesting:

Although we likely will not know the exact cause of Wichita’s earthquakes, Parcell believes that because of the amount of wastewater injected into Southern Kansas and Northern Oklahoma wells, it is likely that this is the cause for the recent earthquakes.

“What we do know is that from Wichita going North East towards Kansas City and up into Iowa, there is a large buried fault system throughout there,” Parcell said.

Parcell said that over time, the water injected into these wells has spread underground and is now disrupting faults that run close to Sedgwick County.

“There were studies in the past couple of years that showed that those injection wells down in Northern Oklahoma and Southern Kansas, that the water they injected didn’t stay put, it started to move out along these deep layers underground,” Parcell said. “As it moves out, it changes the pressure in other places, and it is possible that it may be connected.”
                    The investigation done a couple weeks ago basically just said drilling and disposal hadn't changed, but maybe there are issues with the water still not staying put. We also had a dry summer and fall, so the rain yesterday could have soaked in quite a bit if there are deep drought cracks. Anything over 3.5 triggers an investigation by the state, so it'll be interesting to see what they say.

Comment

• 13th & Greenwich. The first one woke me. It actually shook a couple of pictures off the wall(never had that happen before). I heard the much smaller second quake as well....
                      Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                      Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Holy Crap. Maybe the biggest shake yet at my house. 5:05 am, Wednesday morning. Loudest and longest shake. I could do without that.
                        Woke me up too. All the handles on my dressers were rattling. When it wakes you up on memory foam, you know **** is shakin' hard.

Comment

According to the Richter magnitude scale - Wikipedia, "...each increase of 0.2 corresponds to approximately a doubling of the energy released."

Comment

• I was already awake when I felt it. It started out as a low rumbling sound, then my house started to shake. This all happened within a 2 to 3 second period.

Using Google Maps, a straight line from my location to the earthquake location (Rock Rd and Polo Dr) is about 6.6 km. That comes out to around 8.3 km from my location to the epicenter 5 km below.
                            Last edited by 1979Shocker; December 30, 2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• It sure rustled my jimmies...
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                                One that struck in Croatia yesterday - not sure if it was the main one or an aftershock - was caught on camera in the video below -

You can see it shake a little bit in their newsroom in the video here.

Magnitude-3.9 earthquake wakes up Wichita (kwch.com)

Comment

Working...
                                X