Another Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    KGS is now showing it on there website as a 3.9.

However, they are showing it centered about 1/4 mile east of Greenwich Road and 1/4 mile South of Central.

Magnitude wise KGS and USGS seem to always vary a few miles in location. Not sure why that is.

My colleague at work said she felt the quake in Rose Hill.
    The USGS recorded it at 5:04:44 AM, while the KGS recorded it at 5:04:43 AM, so basically the same earthquake, yet the epicenters were around 2.5 miles apart. Is that possible?

Comment

• There was another smaller one

Comment

• 10:53 pm. Small rumble and shake....was there a tiny one just now?

Comment

• Lol getting comical. Guessing 2.8 just now.

Comment

• Had to be southwest of 13th/greenwich

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Lol getting comical. Guessing 2.8 just now.
              It is pretty sad when us kansans can predict the strength of an earthquake

Comment

• Thought I heard something. Didn't feel anything. Wife didn't hear or feel anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

The USGS recorded it at 5:04:44 AM, while the KGS recorded it at 5:04:43 AM, so basically the same earthquake, yet the epicenters were around 2.5 miles apart. Is that possible?
                  They seem to consistently have a that kind of variance in location. Not sure why. Perhaps because of different locations of their detection equipment. I'm guessing the USGS has the equipment in or near Eastborough as they usually express the location using Eastborough as the reference point. But I really do not know what accounts for this.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                    10:53 pm. Small rumble and shake....was there a tiny one just now?
                    Yep. I'm guessing 2.5 - 2.7 maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      <context removed> Wife didn't hear or feel anything.

Comment

• According to KGS a 2.6 centered at the intersection of 13th and Greenwich.

USGS is showing it as a 2.4 centered at 29th and Greenwich. Located by reference to Bel Aire this time. But there is that location discrepancy again.

Perhap it simply shows that earthquake science is far from exact????
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 31, 2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• It is known to be far from exact. It is just a triangulation based on location of seismographs. Depending on what the wave has to travel through can slightly impact the time and strength. The quality of the machine can also impact it.

Comment

• Did a little searching around the internet and here's information on where the seismographs are located:

From https://geokansas.ku.edu/monitoring-earthquakes-kansas -

"In 2016, the KGS established a permanent seismic network throughout the state. Before it was set up, there were only two seismic monitors in the state. Operated by the U.S. Geological Survey, they were located at Cedar Bluff Reservoir in western Kansas and the Konza Prairie Biological Station south of Manhattan. Larger Kansas seismic events and smaller ones close to the Oklahoma state line also were picked up by the Oklahoma Geological Survey seismic station network."

Here are maps for each:

USGS - the map is at https://earthquake.usgs.gov/monitori...ns/network.php and you can zoom in and see the exact locations of all the USGS locations.

KGS - they have a map of all their locations at http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Geophysics/Ear...s/network.html and there is one is SW Sedgwick county and one in southern Sumner county

Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                According to KGS a 2.6 centered at the intersection of 13th and Greenwich.

USGS is showing it as a 2.4 centered at 29th and Greenwich. Located by reference to Bel Aire this time. But there is that location discrepancy again.

Perhap it simply shows that earthquake science is far from exact????
                                The earthquake location is determined from triangulating from the seismograph network the time and distance. The question is which network (KGS or USGS) you trust the most.

Location of KGS seismic monitoring locations. You would think that the KGS one in SG county would be the gold standard, excepts it doesn't seem to be working when I query their data. So I would probably trust the USGS. I would suspect (but maybe I'm wrong) they have agreements with each state to have access to their data also. OK has extensive seismic monitoring. OK seems to value science more than kansas with Mesonet and seismic networks.

kssiesmic2.jpg

Here is the USGS locations

usgsseismic.JPG

USGS has also some temporary locations. Not sure if this all of them, they did have one installed at one point in West Wichita near Kellog..

usgs temp.JPG
                                Last edited by SB Shock; December 31, 2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X