• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting KGS is reporting 3.4 and 3.5. USGS is report 3.1 and 3.2

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      Interesting KGS is reporting 3.4 and 3.5. USGS is report 3.1 and 3.2
      I didn't read through this yet.

Why do USGS earthquake magnitudes differ from those published by other agencies?

Comment

• Interestingly I was driving on 29th east of Woodlawn when the 3.4 at 8:52 hit and south on Webb Road near 13th street when the 3.5 hit at 8:59 heading to my office. When I went into my office my associate ask me if I felt those earthquakes and surprisingly I did not feel or hear anything. I had one other experience during the Holiday season swarm when I was driving and did not feel the quake. Not sure exactly why that is. Possible that the car's suspension is absorbing most of that energy. Perhaps being in motion on the surface is a factor as well.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 15, 2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Interestingly I was driving on 29th east of Woodlawn when the 3.4 at 8:52 hit and south on Webb Road near 13th street when the 3.5 hit heading to my office. When I went into my office my associate ask me if I felt those earthquakes and surprisingly I did not feel or hear anything. I had one other experience during the Holiday season swarm when I was driving and did not feel the quake. Not sure exactly why that is. Possible that the car's suspension is absorbing most of that energy. Perhaps being in motion on the surface is a factor as well.
          I don't think I've ever felt one while in the car.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
            The USGS National Earthquake Information Center reports on earthquakes worldwide. We strive for global consistency in the methods used for calculating earthquake parameters. This approach requires a systematic process as well as a more generic model of Earth's physical properties. A seismic network that is focused on a specific region will often tune their underlying models to their area of interest and monitoring history

As I mentioned in a previous report a retired geology professor at WSU stated his preference for data and location was the KGS. One thing he mentioned is that they have more numerous measurement stations in the state.

Part of the difference may also be due to where the measurement stations are location. The USGS does report an estimated depth while I have not seen that data on the KGS site. Most if not all or our quakes have been reported about 5km deep (about 3.1 miles). According to the USGS a shallow earthquakes is any that are up to 70km deep. So ours are pretty shallow which increases the extent to which they are felt.

Comment

As I mentioned in a previous report a retired geology professor at WSU stated his preference for data and location was the KGS. One thing he mentioned is that they have more numerous measurement stations in the state.
              I would go with the USGS. KGS I doubt is staffed adequately or resourced properly. At one point they were sticking to the narrative that waste water injection due to fracking was not causing earthquakes - when OGS had already did the research to conclusively say it was and had developed mitigation plans.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I would go with the USGS. KGS I doubt is staffed adequately or resourced properly. At one point they were sticking to the narrative that waste water injection due to fracking was not causing earthquakes - when OGS had already did the research to conclusively say it was and had developed mitigation plans.
                I think that was true in Oklahoma. But I don't think that was true in Kansas. Kansas never had much of the horizontal drilling Kansas that led to the large volumes of waste water requiring disposal. Oklahoma on the other had did have quite a bit of horizontal drilling. Now whether Oklahoma was shipping waste water to Kansas for injection I do not know for sure but am not aware of that. So it is possible that waste water disposal in Oklahoma was a problem but the volume of water disposal in Kansas was not big enough to cause a problem. Both of those statements could be true.

Comment

I think that was true in Oklahoma. But I don't think that was true in Kansas. Kansas never had much of the horizontal drilling Kansas that led to the large volumes of waste water requiring disposal. Oklahoma on the other had did have quite a bit of horizontal drilling. Now whether Oklahoma was shipping waste water to Kansas for injection I do not know for sure but am not aware of that. So it is possible that waste water disposal in Oklahoma was a problem but the volume of water disposal in Kansas was not big enough to cause a problem. Both of those statements could be true.
                  South Central Kansas (mainly Harper and Sumner Counties, but also some in Reno) had a lot of horizontal drilling after 2012.

horizontal fracking wells kansas.JPG

Here is earthquake maps prior to 2013 and after 2012.

Prior to 2013

earthquakes 1970-2012.JPG

After 2012

earthquakes 2013-present.JPG

Comment

• Could the earthquake felt yesterday simply been an aftershock (pun intended) from the 500,000 plus in the metro area jumping out of their seats when the Shocks were announced on CBS???
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• No one mentioned it, but there was a 2.5 magnitude earthquake yesterday at 5:22 PM, just south of 13th between Rock Road and Webb; north of Central between Rock Road and Webb).

M 2.5 - 3 km NE of Eastborough, Kansas (usgs.gov)

KGS had it occurring at 5:21 PM as a 2.3 magnitude and located just north of Central between Rock Road and Webb.

KGS Earthquakes (ku.edu)

Comment

• It was just a wee little one
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think that was true in Oklahoma. But I don't think that was true in Kansas. Kansas never had much of the horizontal drilling Kansas that led to the large volumes of wasteI water requiring disposal. Oklahoma on the other had did have quite a bit of horizontal drilling. Now whether Oklahoma was shipping waste water to Kansas for injection I do not know for sure but am not aware of that. So it is possible that waste water disposal in Oklahoma was a problem but the volume of water disposal in Kansas was not big enough to cause a problem. Both of those statements could be true.
                          I think that this story was shown earlier in January but it shows where the Humboldt Fault Lines are (mainly in East Wichita and into Butler County), and that it is believed that these quakes aren't caused by fracking. It shows a good map of the fault lines, and a Lily Wu video story partially down.

https://www.kwch.com/2021/01/05/geol...a-earthquakes/

Comment

• image_8115.jpg
                            Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I think that this story was shown earlier in January but it shows where the Humboldt Fault Lines are (mainly in East Wichita and into Butler County), and that it is believed that these quakes aren't caused by fracking. It shows a good map of the fault lines, and a Lily Wu video story partially down.

https://www.kwch.com/2021/01/05/geol...a-earthquakes/
                            Wichita lies on the Nemaha ridge. There is research showing that pore pressure through Harper and Sumner Counties have increased considerably due fracking waste water disposal and this has been found to activate faults. This poor pressure increase is expanding into Reno and Sedgwick county. This is not to say this is the primary cause, but it maybe factor. The question there any other disposal wells in Sedgwick county, especially near the epicenter of recent quakes. It possible that with the pore pressure increasing due to fracking, combined with other factors, the county has reached a certain threshold that triggered some old faults.

poor pressure.JPG

Comment

• Recent article in the Wichita Eagle on March 21 - State said Wichita earthquakes were likely natural. New evidence suggests otherwise - https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...250044639.html

After a series of earthquakes rocked Wichita in November and December, state regulators said the oil and gas industry was not to blame, giving the impression that the earthquakes were natural.

Now, the state’s senior seismologist says he’s 99% sure that’s not the case.

More recently available data led Rick Miller, the senior scientist and seismologist at Kansas Geological Survey, to believe the earthquakes were caused by wastewater sent deep into the earth.
                              Miller was also in a story on KWCH on March 25 - https://www.kwch.com/2021/03/26/kans...a-earthquakes/
                              Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• “I don’t know what’s causing them, but it’s this!”

Comment

Working...
                                X