Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    Yep. The US coach can talk all he wants about how the US dominated...but we still lost. Very disappointing.
    I have a lot of experience with that as an SKC fan.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

This is why soccer is a dumb game. You can't use your hands to protect your face or you might foul, and males have to cover up down low on a shot like that. In Soccer, One is left with No viable options.
      There are many other reasons my friend. I do not believe I'd watch a soccer match if I were locked up in a Mexican prison.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

There are many other reasons my friend. I do not believe I'd watch a soccer match if I were locked up in a Mexican prison.
        Only Shocker fans get to hate on soccer.

Banned for three days.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
          if I were locked up in a Mexican prison.
          We can only dream of this scenario...

Comment

• US wins 3-0 tonight. Not sure who decided to schedule an important qualifying matching in freaking Minnesota on Feb 2 but they probably should be fired. Yes, it's extra brutal right now, but what did they think Minnesota was going to be like in early February?

That being said, I don't like how this sets up for team USA.

As I type, the important standing are thus

Canada 25
            USA 21
            Mexico 20
            Panama 19
            Costa Rica 16

(Mexico and Panama are currently tied in the 78th minute)

Top 3 qualify, 4th goes to a playoff.

We have by far the toughest last 3 of the contending teams.

At Mexico, Panama here and at Costa Rica.

Canada is all but locked in.

Uh oh....penalty on Panama. Mexico converts and it's 1-0 and I'll update the standings as soon as the match concludes.

Canada is at Costa Rica, hosts Jamaica and goes to Panama. Not needing points, they'll beat JAM and let's say they lose 2 roadies against teams having to win. Not impossible. 3 points.

Mexico hosts the US, goes to Honduras and host El Salvador. Getting nine is really likely.

Panama hosts Honduras, travels to the US and hosts Canada. Even if we beat them they could get 6.

Costa Rica hosts Canada, goes to El Salvador and hosts the US. They could get 9.

New standings after Mexico beats Panama: (The Mexicans are in full Broadway fake diving that even UNI would be embarrassed about)

Canada 25
            USA 21
            Mexico 21
            Panama 18
            Costa Rica 16

If my scenario plays out:

Mexico 30
            Canada 28
            Costa Rica 25
            USA 24
            Panama 24

Would goal differential break that tie for the playoff? We should be in good shape if so, but sheesh. We HAVE to beat Panama and either get help or a result against Mexico or CR, which will be no small feat.

Panama had a decent chance at an equalizer in the 94th minute but couldn't get a head on the ball in front of the goal.

I guess the one decent thing is that even if things all go wrong, we can play at Costa Rica knowing a win will clinch 4th at least. Not exactly what we want to happen, but we do control our own destiny to the last match even if everything goes wrong until then.
            Last edited by WuDrWu; February 2, 2022, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Have faith brother. 4 points out of 9 is completely doable for this squad even with the tough draw. That would put the us at 25. I don’t see Costa Rica getting 9. I see them with 4 maybe 5. Same with Panama.

Comment

• You have Panama with one too many points. That are at 17. Clinch a berth with a win over Panama at home.

Comment

• I think we're all a bit cynical after the 2018 Qualifying Cycle. Haha.

concacaf.jfif

Basically, our scenarios to getting in (without the playoff) are this:

A) Win against Panama
                  B) Draw against Panama (keeping us 4 clear of them) and drawing with Costa Rica - means that we end up with at least 23 points and Costa Rica would have to win at Canada - highly unlikely
                  C) Losing against Panama and having to get 6 points from two away matches, one at the Azteca and one at Costa Rica

C would mean hard core panic mode. We cannot lose that game. And if we do, we cannot lose the Costa Rica game as it could potentially put us in 5th.

Mexico's schedule is much easier than ours. At Honduras and home against El Salvador. They're likely in regardless of what happens against us.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• How does just beating Panama guarantee 3rd? What am I missing?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      How does just beating Panama guarantee 3rd? What am I missing?
                      Because we play three games, regardless of what happens in the other two, that would leave Panama having to make up at least 4 points with one match to go. So even if we lost at Mexico and they won their first match, they'd be down one point to us. A win puts us four points clear of Panama with one match remaining.

It's not guaranteed, but unless Costa Rica reels off seven points in their last three games (including against us) and we only get one, it would be highly unlikely they would be able to catch us either, securing at least third place. One win from us means they would have to win all three games to catch up.
                      Last edited by Kel Varnsen; February 3, 2022, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• The other good news is that even if it gets bad, we still have a +9 GD in our back pocket while Panama and Costa Rica both only have a +1 GD.

Comment

• The decision to play in Minnesota in early February is one that would make even Bill Belichick blush.

Comment

• BIG matches coming up for the US this week.

at Mexico - 3/24 at 9 PM - CBS Sports Network/Paramount+
                            vs. Panama - 3/27 at 5:30 PM - FS1
                            at Costa Rica - 3/30 at 8 PM - Paramount+

A win vs. Panama basically puts us in the World Cup. There has been discussion about resting key players and those on yellow card accumulation for the Mexico game to save them for the Panama game. Not sure what I think about that strategy.

Again, for the most part, we're okay. But that's also what we thought going into the last few days of the 2018 qualifying window. Get a point at the Azteca and we're looking pretty good. Lose, and Panama becomes a game we absolutely cannot afford to lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                              BIG matches coming up for the US this week.

at Mexico - 3/24 at 9 PM - CBS Sports Network/Paramount+
                              vs. Panama - 3/27 at 5:30 PM - FS1
                              at Costa Rica - 3/30 at 8 PM - Paramount+

A win vs. Panama basically puts us in the World Cup. There has been discussion about resting key players and those on yellow card accumulation for the Mexico game to save them for the Panama game. Not sure what I think about that strategy.

Again, for the most part, we're okay. But that's also what we thought going into the last few days of the 2018 qualifying window. Get a point at the Azteca and we're looking pretty good. Lose, and Panama becomes a game we absolutely cannot afford to lose.
                              Hell no! Play anyone and everyone against Mexico and get at least a point.

Comment

• Dest is out. Aaronson is out. Turner out.

Reyna and Steffan are back.

4 points put us against Oceana, 5 points in the field.

Unfortunately, I believe we will lose two of these games and again fail to qualify. We seem to focus too much on developing people and not enough on getting experience winning.

Comment

Working...
                                X