2024 Summer Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    I haven't seen it. I've seen a couple of photos from it which lead me to not want to watch.

But by all accounts it didn't mock Christianity, even though some got upset about it.

Paying tribute to the original Greeks isn't necessarily a bad thing for an Olympic ceremony. Would the ancient Greeks have approved of it? That I have no idea.
    I didn't watch either, but I saw stories about it.

But if you think that portraying Jesus and his apostles as "heavy drag queens", (and included children in it's depiction) during his Last Supper prior to his crucifixion, is factual, and historical to the Olympic movement, you're unaware.

The Greek games actually began in 776 BC between the city states of Greece. I won't get into the rest of the Greco-Roman influence of the day that led to Christmas, Good Friday, and Easter.

Comment

Men's archery team Bronze match, China v Turkey is on.

Comment

Turkey wins Bronze.

By the way, since they never show you how far they shoot in archery.....at the Olympic level:

It's 70 meters (77 yards from one endzone to almost the 20 yard line on the opposite end of the field) and hit a circle about the size of a typical coffee cup saucer for the inner 10 ring.

Frankly, it's laughable to me.

Korea vs France for the Gold. Korea, obviously, is the huge favorite.

Comment

People will think I'm trying to be funny....but I'm not. The women's badminton doubles match between Thailand and Denmark was tremendous. Denmark saved several match points (down 1 set, best of 3) then trailed maybe 16-20 (to 21 by 2) in the 3rd, saved at least 7 match points and won the set and match 25-23 I think. Remarkable rallies back and forth between the 4 ladies.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
            Ouch!

You probably aren't going to get a very good score if you a) land on your back, b) grimmace like you just ate my wife's cooking the entire time you are spinning in the air without an effing clue as to where you're at in reference to the planet, and 3) the judge needs a towel to wipe off your splash.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              People will think I'm trying to be funny....but I'm not. The women's badminton doubles match between Thailand and Denmark was tremendous. Denmark saved several match points (down 1 set, best of 3) then trailed maybe 16-20 (to 21 by 2) in the 3rd, saved at least 7 match points and won the set and match 25-23 I think. Remarkable rallies back and forth between the 4 ladies.

Dude. I watched the USA women's badminton team yesterday (a couple of twin sisters last named Xu). That's the first time I ever watched badminton before and I was surprised at how fun it is to watch. Definitely looking forward to following them going forward!

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                Ouch!

What's even better/worse is his teammate appears to attempt the same dive and fails just as bad. The celebrate with a dip in the hot tub or whatever it is they have in the back.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

That dive fail was from Singapore 2015, not the Olympics, but still funny! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

You probably aren't going to get a very good score if you a) land on your back, b) grimmace like you just ate my wife's cooking the entire time you are spinning in the air without an effing clue as to where you're at in reference to the planet, and 3) the judge needs a towel to wipe off your splash.
                    I would have to see if the lifeguard on duty looked like Wendy Peffercorn before I criticized this dive too much. Come to think of it, that diver did look a little bit like a little older version of Squints.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I would have to see if the lifeguard on duty looked like Wendy Peffercorn before I criticized this dive too much. Come to think of it, that diver did look a little bit like a little older version of Squints.
                      Haha, you might be on to something!

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post

That is a b.s. revision. In the original description, it was, in fact a "recreation" of the Da Vinci's painting. Erick Erickson on X: "The memory holing of the Last Supper thing is remarkable. Before the event, it was accepted. Sortiraparis documented it. Afterwards, they have scrubbed their site and everyone denies it was at all connected to The Last Supper. You can find the references, not in English, in https://t.co/HK8B5FRvPO" / X

"Others, including a statement from Paris 2024 producers obtained by TheWrap Sunday, said that it was in fact inspired by Da Vinci’s famous painting — a skewing of the religious imagery that has been slammed by the Christian right as a mockery of Jesus Christ.

“For the ‘Festivities’ segment, Thomas Jolly took inspiration from Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting to create the setting,” producers said in the statement. “Clearly, there was never an intention to show disrespect towards any religious group or belief … [Jolly] is not the first artist to make a reference to what is a world-famous work of art. From Andy Warhol to ‘The Simpsons,’ many have done it before him.”"

Paris Olympics Say The Last Supper Inspired Opening Ceremony (thewrap.com)
                        I accept your facts. However, the French organizers statement that hey were not being disrespectful to Christians, but only were only pointing back to the original Greek Olympics with facts, to the beginning Greek Olympics is just a bunch of lies. The Last Supper happened 700-800 years after the original Olympic movement began. The organizers did their false interpretation of the Last Supper with the total intent to disrespect Christians, and to move forward their depiction of the modern trans movement that boys are girls and girls are boys if they choose, and their use of locker rooms and bath rooms are up to their choices, no matter how uncomfortable it makes little girls.

Comment

OmG. The USA men's beach volleyball team has an ex-NBA player (Budinger who played basketball at Arizona State) and he blocks EVERYTHING. Almost not fair!
                          Last edited by Kung Wu; July 29, 2024, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            OmG. The USA men's beach volleyball team has an ex-NBA player (Budinger who played basketball at Arizona State) and he blocks EVERYTHING. Almost not fair!
                            He also played VB at ASU didn't he? I'm pretty sure he was one of the highest rated recruits in VB coming out of HS anyway. Unless I'm mixing him up with someone else.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

He also played VB at ASU didn't he? I'm pretty sure he was one of the highest rated recruits in VB coming out of HS anyway. Unless I'm mixing him up with someone else.
                              I think he was a highly rated recruit coming out of high school. I didn't see them mention he played VB at ASU, but that doesn't mean he didn't. I don't know anything about him other than what they said and they showed a clip of him playing basketball in college and then in the NBA for 7 years. Then he decided to retire from basketball and hit the beach VB circuit. He took second in some dunking contest and had a 42" vertical on hard surfaces.

Comment

My brother is a KU guy and follows recruiting pretty hard. I was thinking they recruited him and may have been a finalist. It's also possible that it's another guy that played both sports I'm thinking of. I could definitely see a connection to both basketball and volleyball for some athletes.

Though I was thinking that the guy I'm thinking of went to Arizona, but Arizona State could have been the call and I was just messed up in the head on it.

It's not a big deal either way.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X