Comment

• Originally posted by shoxplode View Post
      Starlite drive-in theater closed.
      Huh?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Nevermind. it was a different Starlite drive in that closed. I searched it on Facebook looking for movie times and it was a 6 hour old message that said they were closing. The Wichita Starlite is alive and well for now.

Comment

• KSN - City offers a new way to experience the Arkansas River

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita residents will have a new way to be able to experience the Arkansas River.

Wichita Park & Recreation is now offering self-service rentals of kayaks and equipment thanks to funding from the Wichita Parks Foundation.

Rentals include a life jacket, paddle and kayak and are facilitated through the Rent.Fun app.

Users will scan a QR code on the cage to reserve and pay for a kayak for a specific amount of time at their chosen location. When finished, users unlock the cage in the app and return the equipment. Users must be at least 18 years old, and rentals are only available during park hours.
          The river still needs some work, but I'd love to see more activity in and around it. How Wichita has still failed to properly utilize the river is impressive.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• KSN - Wichita's new rehab hospital will provide beds and jobs

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Construction is beginning on a new rehabilitation hospital for Wichita. Wesley Healthcare leaders broke ground for the new facility this week.

The 41-bed physical rehabilitation hospital is being built on the site of the former Wichita Children’s Home in the 800 block of North Holyoke. It will be one block north of Wesley Medical Center.

The hospital is expected to be complete toward the end of 2024 and is projected to employ about 90 full-time staff members in its first year.

Wesley used to have a 65-bed rehab hospital in west Wichita, near 13th and Tyler, but it closed in March 2022. Wesley Healthcare said the building needed significant investment to remain viable, and the location was challenging.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A cool new business on the east side that truly does offer a lot of value to those who will use it.

WBJ - From office workers to athletes, a new-to-Wichita business wants to help you feel better

As a Kansas State University football player in the early 1980s, Jerry Poole said he experienced first-hand how flexibility helped him avoid major injuries.

Now, Poole and his wife, Cheri, have launched Wichita's first StretchLab, an assisted stretching concept, that they hope can bring wellness benefits to everyone — including athletes, grandparents and office workers who spend most of their days at a desk.

"It's all about mobility, and mobility makes life better," Jerry Poole said.

StretchLab opened this week in 1,200 square feet at the Waterfront. The Pooles are the local franchisees for the California-based business, founded in 2015, that has more than 300 locations nationwide and over 800 across the globe.

The studio offers personalized stretching services — with what the brand calls a "flexologist" — as well as a MAPS (Mobility, Activation, Posture and Symmetry) machine, which identifies what to address across those four MAPS areas and helps create a custom plan for an individual.
              I complain about my flexibility and range of motion all of the time. It didn't used to be this way, but years of sitting at a desk for hours on end have really cramped my style. I always talk about needing to stretch more as my hammy's and hips are way too tight. I might consider looking into this as having better mobility in general might help motivate me to be a little more active as well.

StretchLab

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Sedgwick County Zoo puts a dollar figure on its economic impact

According to the organization, a study by the the Center for Economic Development and Business Research at Wichita State University shows the zoo has a total annual economic impact of $59.4 million on the region.

The total tops the $55 million in economic impact from all such facilities across the state of Kansas found in a 2011 study done by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. It also exceeds the $43 million most recently estimated for the zoo itself.

“It had been more than a decade since our last economic impact study,” said Scott Newland, CEO of the Sedgwick County Zoo. “The zoo has grown tremendously, and we are proud of the impact we make in our community.”
                They've completed the first phase of the 25 year plan they came out with in 2018.

What's left is the African Lodge hotel and waterpark, a community events center, aquarium, new concert stage and an animal carousel.

I know Wichita wants an aquarium pretty bad and having that be the next focus of SCZ would be huge news. I'm not sure if that will be the next thing up though as I'm sure they'll need to do more fundraising for that. I suppose building the hotel and waterpark could end up helping in funding the building of an aquarium.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Some resistance to Love's

KAKE - Northeast Wichita residents express concerns about proposed truck stop

The city of Wichita is looking at putting a new Love's location at the intersection of Interstate 135 & 21st St.

But some who live in that area aren't happy with what that could mean for their community.

Northeast Wichita is known as the city's industrial heart, where factories and former oil refineries can be found.

Aujanae Bennett has lived in the area for most of her life and said that the industrial activity has damaged the area's environment, and people's health.

She said that adding running semi-trucks to the mix will only make things worse.

"They need cooling in the summer and heating in the winter," Bennett said. "So that means they sit here and they idle. Well, emissions are being put out into the air. Where are they going to go? Hey, right here where I live."

On Monday, the District 6 Advisory Board looked at the plans for the truck stop.

Board Member Bill Washburn said that he doesn't think the environmental impact would be substantial.

"I think that the past usage and abuses of that land, before we had the regulations in place, probably far exceed anything that could happen with air pollution from the newer diesel trucks. I don't see that as an issue."

Washburn did, however, say he's concerned that area infrastructure couldn't keep up with the expected volume of semi-truck traffic.
                  I'd be much more concerned about traffic flow than environmental issues.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More east side development beginning.

WBJ - New retail center breaks ground next to east Wichita HTeaO

Suellentrop, who is also behind the Sandlot Garage Condos project in northwest Wichita, said he hopes to complete the 9,000 square-foot building — called Hawthorne Retail Center — by the end of the year.

He said while there are no tenants lined up yet, he expects the start of construction to generate increased interest.

"It's a solid area that's filling in nicely," Suellentrop said in an email. "(There is a) need for more neighborhood and workforce services and food establishments."

He said he's heard feedback from area residents desiring "more choices closer than at Greenwich (Road)."

A mile east of the 21st and Greenwich area — which includes Greenwich Place and the Wichita Sports Forum, with Topgolf and Scheels Stryker Sports Complex just to the north — development momentum has been increasing near the northeast corner of 21st and 127th, including the opening of HTeaO's first east-side location in December 2022.
                    It will be interesting to see what tenants he lands for this development.

I always thought north Andover needed more options and this gets a little closer. Pretty much all food options in Andover are at Central and then south to Kellogg. The exception being Timbuktu at 13th. With the area along 21st and on west from Andover Rd continuing to develop and grow, more options inching towards Andover wouldn't hurt either. Not sure what land is available in that stretch and what it's zone for.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More Riverfest news.

MSN - Riverfest to host first Gravel Grinder biking event

Wichita Riverfest will be hosting its first Gravel Grinder at 9 a.m. on Saturday, June 10, at REI Co-op, 2774 N. Greenwich Rd.

“This bike event will feature a 20-Mile Ride and 40-Mile Race on a combination of riding surfaces,” Wichita Riverfest said on Facebook.

The 20-mile ride requires a $25 registration fee. The 40-mile race requires a $35 registration fee. A Riverfest button is included in the cost.

The 20-mile ride is an untimed ride, while the 40-mile race is a timed race. Both start at the same time.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• New plant coming to Maize in 2025!

WBJ - Maize will be site of $80M plastics plant bringing 50 jobs

Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Charlotte Pipe and Foundry was founded in 1901.

In a separate news release, the company said it purchased 80 acres for the plastics plant, which will total 134,000 square feet and have access to the Kansas & Oklahoma Railroad to support its production of PVC pipes for plumbing and irrigation applications.

The site is between 119th and 135th streets and to the north of 53rd Street — nearby all of the growth and activity at Maize Industrial Park, which has facilities for Reiloy USA, Evans Building Co., Shuttle Aerospace, Kyodo Yushi Manufacturing and other businesses.

“This is a great day for the city of Maize," Maize mayor Patrick Stivers said. "Our skilled workforce is eager to get to work and help Charlotte Pipe and Foundry solidify its 122 years in business by bringing quality piping to customers across the globe while diversifying the Maize economy. The company’s strong, family-oriented culture is a perfect fit in our community.”
                        I was surprised to only see 50 jobs, but it's a start and it's a new industry in the area which is always a win.

Construction is set to begin in January.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - By the numbers: Textron Aviation expansion in Wichita will drive parts efficiency

On a recent tour of both the existing 65,000-square-foot parts building and the expansion project, the company shared some eye-popping numbers related to the plan.

For example, the total facility footprint will be around 250,000 square feet when it's complete — which is larger than four football fields.

That will support the shipment of more than 1.5 million line item parts per year to customers, accentuated by its proximity to Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport.

Steve Hanson, director of distribution operations for the company, said it is believed that the existing facility is already the final pickup of the day in the entire state for FedEx. That means more time to get more parts out the door, which can make all the difference in how quickly a customer can get a part.
                          It's also designed to make future expansion easier. I believe they said they could easily build on another 40k sqft. They took a lot of feedback and ideas from employees. I think they had over 100 submitted ideas and have implemented around 70% of them. Also admit that about 20 of them they'd probably have never come up with on their own.

They'll be shutting down the parts facility at the Beech plant in east Wichita and moving it all to this new facility. They say it will eliminate 40k miles a year transporting parts to and from. That's a pretty decent cost savings there.

If Textron keeps growing and maintaining success here, they could end up rivaling Spirit for the largest employer. I want to say Spirit has between 11k and 12k employees and Textron is now between 10k and 11k.

I want as much diversity as possible, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see the heart of Wichita employment to falter. Thriving large businesses as well as new and exciting businesses is good for the entire metro.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Transformation at Botanica this summer.

Yahoo! - Parts of Botanica to be transformed into prehistoric jungle for animatronic dinos

A group of dinosaurs — some more than 27 feet long that have been making their way across Europe and the U.S. for the past few years — is coming to Wichita’s Botanica attraction for the summer.

Starting May 20, when the “Dinosaurs Around the World: The Great Outdoors” exhibition opens, several areas of Botanica will be transformed into a prehistoric jungle to display the 10 animatronic dinosaurs. The exhibition runs through Sept. 17.

One of the distinguishing features of the exhibition, which was put together by Imagine Exhibitions with the help of world-renowned paleontologist Gregory M. Erickson, is that it’s also an exploration of the prehistoric Pangea subcontinent when the North American continent was connected with Africa, South America and Europe, said Nikki Smith, Botanica’s community engagement coordinator.

“All of the dinosaurs are placed based on the geographic region of where they would have lived. And then throughout the garden in the (display) areas, there will be information for families and children to learn about how the continents shifted and divided to create our current continents,” Smith said.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• New program attempting to help improve the Wichita area.

Newswires - Brand 316: A Christian Ministry Focused on Reducing Recidivism Launches in Wichita, KS

Brand 316 is a Christian ministry focused on stopping the revolving door of incarceration through Christ-Centered personal, professional and spiritual development and training for the formerly incarcerated. They focus on the core issues causing recidivism through training, support and mentorship which begins while inmates are still in prison and continues upon release.

“Release from prison is not as easy as most think. The concept is wonderful; the realities faced are difficult from the minute you walk out of the prison doors. You are leaving one society you had to fully adapt to in order to survive and being put into a new society, with a different set of rules and several immediate obstacles. Most inmates leave prison without the training or support needed to survive” states David Phillips, founder of Brand 316 “putting them in a nearly impossible task once released.”

Training is essential but it is not as simple as a few workbooks here and there. Brand 316 invests the time into every aspect needed to realistically thrive after prison. This process starts when inmates are less than 4 years from release and continues with a 52-week real world career and reintegration training program once they are released. Members of Brand 316 are provided immediate employment upon release, an intense training program focused on the future, a strong Christian support network, trauma counseling and a realistic path to long term success. Learn more about Brand 316’s training program: Prison Reintegration and Career Training Program.

The amount of hopelessness inside prison is alarming but equally devastating are the amount of people that are excited for release yet have little hope of staying out. “The numbers do not lie; the high recidivism rate substantiates that lack of hope upon release. The hope of getting out of prison must change to the hope of staying out of prison. Meeting the immediate needs of the recently released is important” said David Phillips “but it is vital to focus on their long term growth. It is critical that they can envision a successful future and have a realistic path to achieve those goals.”
                              Out jails definitely fail when it comes to actually working to rehabilitate those who've made mistakes for one reason or another. Our jails are simply focused on punishment and barely care about actually helping and improving the potential of those who are there. Hopefully a program like this can help make a difference as a released individual being able to get on the right track and contribute to themselves, their families, and society is good for all.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This is an interesting event to be in town.

KWCH - John Cusack to host 'Sixteen Candles' screening at Orpheum

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Actor John Cusack will host a screening of one of his most popular movies, “Sixteen Candles,” followed by a live conversation about his career and the making of the film, followed by a Q&A. The event happens at the Orpheum on Sunday, Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. Tickets range from $49.50 to $249.50 and go on sale May 19 at 10 a.m.

Cusack first gained the attention of audiences by starring in a number of 1980′s film classics such as “The Sure Thing,” “Say Anything” and “Sixteen Candles.” Following these roles, Cusack shed his teen-heartthrob image and starred in a wide range of dramas, thrillers and comedies including “The Grifters,” “Eight Men Out,” “Being John Malkovich,” “High Fidelity” and “Grosse Pointe Blank.”

In 2001, Cusack was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical for his role in the feature version of Nick Hornby’s English novel, “High Fidelity.” Cusack also co-produced and co-wrote the script with Steve Pink and D.V. DeVincentis. In 1999 Cusack’s performance in “Being John Malkovich” earned him an Independent Spirit Award nomination for Best Actor.
                                It's not cheap, but when you have a legit celebrity involved it probably won't be. I've also never actually seen Sixteen Candles myself, but I do really like Cusak. Better Off Dead is still my personal favorite movie of his, but I'm also big on Eight Men Out, Runaway Jury, Con Air and Stand by Me.
                                Last edited by SubGod22; May 15, 2023, 01:48 PM.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X