General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not sure how I feel about this one. I know there are local retailers that if the beer is available/allowed in Kansas, they already have it in their store. I'm sure there are others here that could speak to the wine availability in the Wichita area, but I'm guessing it is the same. Personally, I will support "local".
    I hate beer and don't really care for wine. I have no idea how much of either your general liquor store will carry. But 8k different wines from all over the world sounded impressive and I figured it was probably a fair amount more than most if not all in the area. If someone is a big wine person, this could be a huge deal as they may have more options and better pricing. Same with the beer and spirits. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could definitely see myself going here if there were a certain beverage that I couldn't find elsewhere. I know there's a whiskey I want to try but the nearest seller seems to be about 500 miles away. If they carried it, I'd definitely go pick it up. Though I also don't drink that much, especially home alone. My business doesn't mean much of anything to anyone in that regard.

And I'm all for supporting local, but if this place carries what the locals don't then there's not much of a choice if it's something you want or want to try. And it sounds like they have connections with a number of small or regional beverages that they can bring in. This will be good for transplants or people who may have traveled to certain areas and really liked something local. The 'local' stores don't always have such abilities.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I hate beer and don't really care for wine. I have no idea how much of either your general liquor store will carry. But 8k different wines from all over the world sounded impressive and I figured it was probably a fair amount more than most if not all in the area. If someone is a big wine person, this could be a huge deal as they may have more options and better pricing. Same with the beer and spirits. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could definitely see myself going here if there were a certain beverage that I couldn't find elsewhere. I know there's a whiskey I want to try but the nearest seller seems to be about 500 miles away. If they carried it, I'd definitely go pick it up. Though I also don't drink that much, especially home alone. My business doesn't mean much of anything to anyone in that regard.

And I'm all for supporting local, but if this place carries what the locals don't then there's not much of a choice if it's something you want or want to try. And it sounds like they have connections with a number of small or regional beverages that they can bring in. This will be good for transplants or people who may have traveled to certain areas and really liked something local. The 'local' stores don't always have such abilities.
      Like I said, I don't know how it works regarding wine, but the state of Kansas determines what beer can be sold in Kansas. Also, some beers may (and have) pulled out of Kansas and that's another reason one may not find it here. I believe it also is dependent on the wholesalers who the retailers must buy from. Even if it is available here, they may not stock it. Maybe things have changed, and I just didn't know it (that wouldn't surprise me).

Comment

• KAKE - Riverfront Stadium to host 7 high school football games

Riverfront Stadium Schedule:

Matchup #1- Friday, September 29: Maize South High School vs Maize High School – 7:00 PM

Matchup #2 - Friday, October 6: Bishop Carroll High School vs Kapaun Mt. Carmel – 7:00 PM

Matchup #3 - Saturday, October 7: West High School vs North High School – 7:00 PM

Matchup #4 - Thursday, October 12: Northwest High School vs West High School -7:00 PM

Matchup #5 - Friday, October 13: Andover High School vs Andover Central High School – 7:00 PM

Matchup #6 - Thursday, October 19: Buhler High School vs McPherson High School – 7:00 PM

Matchup #7 - Friday, October 20: Derby High School vs Newton High School -7:00 PM

Tickets are available for purchase online, by phone, or at the Riverfront Stadium box office Monday through Friday 9 AM to 5 PM. Adult tickets are $8 and student and child tickets are $4.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Are they planning to resod after the season? I’d like to see what the field looks like after October 20th.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Eagle - Here's what $25 million in planned upgrades would bring to Exploration Place, riverfront

Big changes could be coming to Exploration Place in the next three years, including an amphitheater and an outdoor playscape and education center, as well as indoor renovations at the science museum.

It’s part of a $25 million plan that received $2.5 million in funding from the Sedgwick County Commission on Wednesday.

The county’s contribution brings Exploration Place’s fundraising total to roughly $12.5 million and opens the door for matching grant funds to be secured.

Construction is expected to begin later this year on an amphitheater by the Arkansas River that would open in 2024 and host various events, including drone shows.

The most expensive phase of upgrades is the $17 million playscape modeled after The Gathering Space in Tulsa and featuring multi-story, age-progressive landmarks and play structures.
            Also of note is that Exploration Place has the goal to increase attendance from the 315,000 they're getting now to 1 million annually. They believe the yearly economic impact they provide can go from $21M to $67M.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If any of you are big wine drinkers, a Total Wine & More is coming to Greenwich Place.

Eagle - Supersize national retailer coming to the former Stein Mart space at Greenwich Place

Love Total Wine. Visit it when I go to Palm Springs area. Huuuuge selection of wine and liquor. Almost every conceivable option and tons of specialty and rare drinks. No idea about their beer selection.

Comment

• KSN - Cowtown to celebrate National Day of the Cowboy

Wichita’s Old Cowtown Museum is celebrating National Day of the Cowboy Saturday.

From 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., there will be live demonstrations of many of the tasks required of cowboys in the Old West, like roping and branding, leather tooling, and the farrier trade. There will be several historical lectures and displays, wagon rides, a hobby horse rodeo, plus food and craft vendors.

The Tri-State Holden Posse will present two children’s gun safety programs. Starting at 12:45, the River City Renegades will hold a gunfight overseen by Wichita Police.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Eagle - Here's what $25 million in planned upgrades would bring to Exploration Place, riverfront

Also of note is that Exploration Place has the goal to increase attendance from the 315,000 they're getting now to 1 million annually. They believe the yearly economic impact they provide can go from $21M to $67M.
                  One million annual visitors is akin to a mid-level US national park, or a little less than twice what the SG CO Zoo sees, so good luck to whomever came up with those numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

One million annual visitors is akin to a mid-level US national park, or a little less than twice what the SG CO Zoo sees, so good luck to whomever came up with those numbers.
                    The Gathering Place in Tulsa averages around 2M visitors a year. Had 3M the first year it was open. With what they're trying to do, along with what Exploration Place already offers and will offer with more renovations, I don't think 1M is necessarily overly crazy with ambition.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If any of you are big wine drinkers, a Total Wine & More is coming to Greenwich Place.

Eagle - Supersize national retailer coming to the former Stein Mart space at Greenwich Place

We have a couple of stores in Louisville. You can find about anything there. With the potential to become the highest-volume liquor store in Wichita, maybe will bring more of the allocated products to town (though those usually get sold via a lottery)

Comment

Will also be good for burbon drinkers.

With their volume, Total Wine can sell allocated whiskeys at MSRP, which should help bring down some of the exorbitant prices some local stores have placed on the bottles they sell.

You could still buy for your local store, but (hopefully) at a better price.

Win, Win.
                        The Assman

Comment

• Eagle - New food festival planned for Wichita will take people on an international tour of flavors

A new international food festival set for September at the Wave venue is just one of many food-centric events coming up over the next couple of months in Wichita.

Put on by an event company called G1 Sports and Entertainment, the Taste and Tour Food Festival will happen from 5 to 9 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 16, at Wave, 650 E. Second St.

The event, said festival organizer Van Bui, is intended to showcase cuisine from all around the world. The company is hoping to attract around 35 vendors — including restaurants, home cooks and caterers — who will serve food items from booths set up throughout the venue. Patrons will buy $7 tickets to get into the festival ($15 for VIP early entry) then will purchase food items from the individual booths.
                          Other food related events coming up

Burger Battle, 5-9 p.m. Aug. 5, Capitol Federal Amphitheater, 1507 E. Central, Andover: This annual event, a fundraiser for KETCH, features several local burger vendors battling it out for the Best Burger trophy and bragging rights. Tickets are on sale and are $30, free for 6 and under. A general admission ticket includes unlimited samples, or an upgrade to the $50 VIP ticket also includes two drink tickets, a cookie and reserved parking. Get the tickets at www.ictburgerbattle.com/tickets-directions

Zoobilee, Sept. 9, Sedgwick County Zoo, 5555 Zoo Blvd.: Wichita’s zoo closes only two days a year: the day of and the day before this big fundraising event that features food samples from local restaurants, adult beverages and live music. The event lasts from 6 p.m. to midnight. Tickets go on sale starting on Tuesday, Aug. 1, and cost $150 through Aug. 31 then go up to $175. All but $30 of the ticket price is tax deductible. Tickets will be available at SCZ.org, by phone at 316-266-8273 or at the Zoo membership desk.

Orie’s Garlic Fest, Sept. 10, Public at the Brickyard, 129 N. Rock Island: The sixth annual Orie’s Garlic Fest, an event by the owners of Orie’s Farm Fresh in west Wichita, lasts from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and will again feature food and drink vendors, artisans, live music and complimentary garlic shots. Participating food vendors will provide ready-to-eat dishes made with garlic plus garlic-y beverages. Admission is free, but attendees should bring money for food, drink and shopping.

Wagonmasters Downtown Chili Cookoff, noon, Sept. 30: This annual fall cookoff always draws big crowds downtown, and will be centered in the 500 Block of East Douglas, near Naftzger Park. The event will feature teams competing for chili-cooking bragging rights and prize money, and attendees will be able to sample their creations with a $5 tasting kit, available at the gate. For more information, visit www.wagonmasters.org/chili-cookoff

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Air Capital Flight Line seeks $60 million in IRBs for new Spirit AeroSystems building

Air Capital Flight Line LLC is planning to construct a 300,000 square-foot building for the city's largest employer to lease at the sprawling former Boeing Co. property adjacent to Spirit's headquarters, according to the agenda report for Tuesday's Wichita City Council meeting.

ACFL, owned by developers Johnny Stevens and Dave Murfin, is requesting a letter of intent from the City Council to issue industrial revenue bonds up to $60 million to build the facility.

Stevens said the project is tied to additional defense work for Spirit (NYSE: SPR), and that this could be the first of multiple phases of new construction at the site for the locally-based aviation supplier.

"This is a big deal for the city," Stevens told the WBJ.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Just a general observation here, the use of goats in eliminating the foliage at Sims park went really well. The area they defoliated was very complete and I was amazed by the totality. The problem was it seemed the area they were confined to was about half of what seemed like a natural start and stop point. The next problem is I was under the impression that this was the first phase of removing the undergrowth to allow city workers to remove and clear dead wood that has accumulated. It has been probably six weeks since the goats did their job and nothing else has been done by the city and some vegetation is already coming back. So was this a limited experiment by the city to see how effective the goats would be or just another example of the city burning through a few thousand dollars and no follow up to the original stated plan? This was just a rhetorical question but it still chaps my ass with the lack of follow through on the cities part. There was an opinion printed last week in the Eagle by a former lobbyist for the city of Wichita that called for the city commissioners to fire the city manager and then turn out the commissioners during the next election period. The first part of this sounds like a plan to be investigated since the city manager plays pretty loose with city funds or those he is supposed to hold accountable.. I feel better now thanks for reading. Go Shocks

Comment

• I've put this in the Wichita State growth thread, but it also goes beyond Wichita State and will have a larger impact so here it is.

KAKE - Wichita city council to vote on leasing downtown land to WSU and KU for biomedical campus

Right now the parking lot at the corner of William and Broadway in downtown Wichita is just that, a place to park your car. However in a few years it could be the home to a project city leaders say will be transformative.

"By turning that parking lot into something that's looking like it's going to give us like a seven to one or a six to one economic return, it's a good use of that area," said Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple.

The City Council will vote on Tuesday to approve an agreement with Wichita State University and the KU School of Medicine to lease two pieces of land, that parking lot and the Wichita transit center next to it, to build the school's new joint biomedical campus.

The campus would be right next to the Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine that opened in 2022.

“It's an incredible opportunity for Wichita," said Whipple. "We are creating a medical training and research facility that complements the current medical school. They're and we're gonna see more synergy."
                                It will benefit all of downtown, especially the small businesses down there. It will bring more office and retail/dining to the area and there's a belief that this will be what finally attracts and grocery store to downtown. I'm sure there will be even more medical expansion down in the area as well. It's really exciting.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X