No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker grad and WBJ journalist Daniel McCoy passed this weekend suddenly and unexpectedly.

WBJ - Longtime WBJ reporter Daniel McCoy dies at 45

The Wichita Business Journal family is mourning the death of our friend and longtime colleague Daniel McCoy over the weekend.

Daniel suffered an unknown medical episode on Saturday evening outside his home.

He was 45. An autopsy is planned.

Daniel joined the WBJ in 2008 and for 15 years was our go-to reporter for all things aviation and manufacturing. He was a self-described "aviation geek," a lover of airplanes small and large.

His endless curiosity about the aircraft industry made him a terrific beat reporter for a business newspaper in a city where manufacturing remains the dominant industry. He immersed himself in the beat, always knowing what aviation stories were important to Wichita and always able to explain the why of the information — with perspective on the past and what it meant for the city in the upcoming months or years.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• This might be of interest to some.

Wichita by EB - A new cigar bar is potentially headed to east Wichita

Nothing has been officially confirmed, but many credible sources are telling me that a new cigar bar is headed to east Wichita at the Waterfront.

The location of this new bar will be at 1720 N. Webb Road, which was the former space of Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Alliance building. It’s also been the home of Ciao Italian Kitchen and Piztro’s.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        This is an interesting event to be in town.

KWCH - John Cusack to hose 'Sixteen Candles' screening at Orpheum

It's not cheap, but when you have a legit celebrity involved it probably won't be. I've also never actually seen Sixteen Candles myself, but I do really like Cusak. Better Off Dead is still my personal favorite movie of his, but I'm also big on Eight Men Out, Runaway Jury, Con Air and Stand by Me.
        Interesting. He had a minor role in 16 candles. But his soliloquy in "Say Anything" after being quizzed by his date's dad is an all-time classic.

"You mean like career? Uh, I don't know. I've, I've thought about this quite a bit sir, and I'd have to say considering what's waiting out there for me, I don't want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or... process anything sold, bought or processed, or repair anything sold, bought or processed, you know, as a career I don't want to do that. So, uh, my father's in the army, he wants me to join, but I can't work for that corporation, so what I've been doing lately is kickboxing, which is really a, uh, new sport, but I think it's got a good future. As far as career longevity goes, I don't really know, because, you know, you can't really tell. Your training sticks (?) as a fighter, you know, but it's no good, you know, you have to be great, but I can't really tell if I'm great until I've had a couple of pro fights. But I haven't been knocked out yet. I don't know, I can't figure it all out tonight sir, I'm going to hang with your daughter."

Many great things about this, but the last two sentences are awesome.

Comment

• We should find out if Love's gets its approval today.

KSN - Wichita City Council to consider Love's truck stop

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Wichita City Council on Tuesday will consider rezoning an area northwest of Interstate 135 and 21st Street for Love’s truck stop.

The development would include a convenience store, RV hookups for overnight parking, electric car charging stations, a dog exercise area and a restaurant.

The applicant is proposing seven ground or pole signs throughout the campus that conform to the Wichita Sign Code standards for industrial zoning districts. The largest of these signs will be a 25-foot pole sign along East 21st Street listing fuel prices and other on-site uses. The other six signs will be a combination of directional and way-finding signage. Additionally, the applicant is also proposing an 80-foot pole sign with approximately 1,400 square feet of signage along the I-135 frontage.
          Metro Area Planning Commission unanimously approved the project while the District Advisory Board VI rejected it. We'll see what the Council decides today.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Wichita will allow aerial fireworks this year

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita residents will be allowed to shoot fireworks into the sky over the Fourth of July holiday this year.

The Wichita City Council approved changes to the City’s fireworks ordinance during its meeting on Tuesday. As with most Council votes, the members will have to vote on the issue again at their next meeting.

The ordinance change defines two types of fireworks: aerial and safe and sane. It legalizes aerial fireworks from July 1 to July 4. The previous City ordinance banned fireworks that shot farther than six feet in any direction.
            Surrounding communities will be disappointed to hear this, as sales within the city for such fireworks will now be permitted, which will cut into the profits elsewhere.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm completely shocked that the current city council approved this.

That said... more freedom, and more freedom to be exercised on July 4th... hell yeah 'Merica.

At least there is one less thing that is a killjoy to life in Doo Dah.

Comment

• KSN - Wichita City Council votes to rezone area west of 21st and I-135 for Love's truck stop

The Wichita City Council on Tuesday voted 6-0 to rezone the area northwest of Interstate 135 and 21st Street for Love’s truck stop.

The development would include a convenience store, RV hookups for overnight parking, electric car charging stations, a dog exercise area and a restaurant.
                I know there were some late concerns from some in the area, but I'm not surprised this was approved.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  KSN - Wichita City Council votes to rezone area west of 21st and I-135 for Love's truck stop

I know there were some late concerns from some in the area, but I'm not surprised this was approved.
                  I'm completely shocked v2.0.

Comment

• DC is the vision

KSN - Could Wichita get direct flights to D.C?

Cautiously optimistic. That’s the line on getting direct flights from Dwight D. Eisenhower to the Washington, D.C. market.

“We are cautiously optimistic,” says Jesse Romo, director of Airports for Wichita.

Romo says just this week, Wichita sent off its application for a federal grant to help land a new Wichita carrier.

“So our application is going to be for service to an east coast airport,” said Romo. “With an emphasis on DCA, Washington National Airport, Reagan National.”

Far from a done deal, Romo explains the U.S. Department of Transportation has $15 million total up for grabs this year in the way of Small Community Air Service Development.

Wichita is asking for a million to help guarantee an air carrier’s financial success if they come to Wichita to offer direct flights to the east coast, with an emphasis on the D.C. market.
                    I figured it was that general area they were targeting as they already have a number of SE destinations. We should know sometime in October if this works out for ICT.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• NYC would be optimal.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• KSN - Sedgwick County gets $25M for mental health hospital

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Wichita and Sedgwick County got a major boost Wednesday to bring a mental health hospital to the area.

The state has approved $25 million for a south-central Kansas psychiatric hospital. The money comes from the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS).

Sedgwick County will use the money to create a new 50-bed mental health hospital, which will be owned and operated by the state. Currently, the only state psychiatric hospitals are in Larned and Osawatomie.
                        A little something else out of the $65.4M in grants

Wichita State University and the University of Kansas: Health Sciences Education Center (HSEC) – $15 million
                        Wichita State University and the University of Kansas are partnering to build a joint health sciences education center (HSEC) in Wichita. The health sciences complex will centralize health care education, collaboration, and research. Students will receive state-of-the-art health care education that will ultimately improve the quality of health and health outcomes for all Kansans. Initially, approximately 3,000 students and 200 faculty and staff will be housed at the center with opportunities for growth in existing and new programs.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• And in unexpected news

Yahoo! - Wichita is among the top summer travel destinations in the US, analysis says. Here's why

Wichita has recently been named one of the top five summer travel spots in the U.S. by personal finance site WalletHub.

The list was compiled by ranking the most affordable destinations in the country that are the easiest to reach. WalletHub looked at 100 metro areas in six categories: travel costs/hassles, local costs, attractions, weather, activities and safety. Each category had a point system that could total 100 points.

Wichita was named No. 4 on the list with 63.5 points. It ranked right below Washington, D.C., and right above New York City.

Wichita boasts dozens of museums and local attractions. Some popular attractions downtown include the Keeper of the Plains, the Exploration Place, the Mid-America All-Indian Museum, the Wichita Art Museum and the Old Cowtown Museum.

Outdoor attractions include Botanica, which offers gardens and events, and the Great Plains Nature Center for those looking to learn more about the environment. Wichita is also home to the Sedgwick County Zoo, where you can see more than 3,000 animals, according to its website.

Wichita also has a busy foodie scene, with more than 1,000 restaurants to choose from, according to tourism authority Visit Wichita, many of them local.

As the “air capital of the world,” another popular attraction is the Kansas Aviation Museum. Wichita gained the title in 1928 and is the site major aircraft companies Cessna, Beechcraft, Learjet and more began, according to WichitaAviationHistory.com.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• What are the chances this was written by AI?
                              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

What are the chances this was written by AI?
                                Funny, but I think the ratings accurate... Doo-Duh's an underrated gem. Once we get a new 'mayor' like Lily Wu, we'll be cookin' with Crisco again. Don't know her party affiliation and don't really care. I know she loves Wichita and is the best person for the job. You can't go wrong with "Wu"...

Lily Wu announces candidacy for Wichita mayor (ksn.com)

I've never been to the aviation museum, but have heard great things about it... probably something we need to 'toot our horn' about more.
                                It's a treasurer and something we're known for nationally and globally.

Last edited by WstateU; May 17, 2023, 04:05 PM.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X