General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    I should stop reading comment sections online. This story was posted by multiple news agencies and the overwhelming number of comments were negative. Mostly from uninformed dopes who parrot things they here elsewhere. Had many people bitching about parking. I pointed out a few times that they're adding a parking garage with nearly 300 spots and it was either ignored or I was told parking garages don't matter. Even though they take up less space and offer more parking.

A number of other comments about needing more mix used space where ground levels are restaurants and shops. Others pointed out that that's the plan for just about every office/hotel/apartment building in the area. Then they ***** about there being too many empty spaces in those units, even though they're new and they will fill in as there is more going on down there.

Then there's the group of people who don't think we ever need another hotel built ever again. I saw someone who runs some festivals point out that the downtown hotels are at 100% capacity when they have events which would indicate a need. Then people claim that's only for a few days and not the other 360. I forget what hotels shoot for for profitability, but it's not 100% and I believe is closer to half. Others pointed out that the downtown hotels have much greater usage than most locals realize. I did see someone claim that they bring clients to town that love staying at the Ambassador or Hyatt and like what downtown has to offer.

I've said many times that people refuse to look at the big picture and aren't patient enough to let things develop and demand everything happens at once. Those are the people that hold back progress. I do agree that I would love to see more shopping/dining developed along the river and I do think that it will happen. But it will take continued development along the ballpark village and would be greatly assisted if we would build a new performing arts center and convention center in the area. Those are a couple of other things that can bring people into town and focus them down in the river district. I'm also sure that we will continue to see more apartments go in as I hear that most are nearly full so the demand for downtown living continues. It wouldn't suck if someone would build something new, and a little larger, rather than just repurposing old warehouses, but those warehouses do have some character. Would just like to see something that maybe offers a few hundred units go in that could help grow the downtown population and attract more things.

Just needed to vent a little this morning.
    I'm in the hotel/tourism business and it always amazes me how locals can ***** about more hotels being built. If they are being built - it typically means there is a need due to increased travelers or a need for better/different type of product. Believe me - we aren't building hotels in rotten markets that can't support it. We want to make money and analyze lots of data before a shovel is turned.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

I'm in the hotel/tourism business and it always amazes me how locals can ***** about more hotels being built. If they are being built - it typically means there is a need due to increased travelers or a need for better/different type of product. Believe me - we aren't building hotels in rotten markets that can't support it. We want to make money and analyze lots of data before a shovel is turned.
      That doesn't surprise me at all. More and better hotels also increase the odds of us hosting things like the NCAA tournament more often, men's or women's. When we get a new convention center built it can only help that as well. And who knows what else.

I should be surprised at how short sighted many are in regards to so much. What business would spend millions of dollars to build something somewhere that couldn't support it? There are times where part of me wishes you had to past some sort of test to breed or vote lol.

Question, I'm not sure if there is a "standard" or not, but can you ballpark approximately what kind of capacity a relatively decent/nice hotel needs for profitability? Not trying to get to specific on brand or whatnot, just wondering if there's an industry average or something out there.

I wonder how pissed some of these people will be when the Zoo builds a hotel in the next decade or so.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

That doesn't surprise me at all. More and better hotels also increase the odds of us hosting things like the NCAA tournament more often, men's or women's. When we get a new convention center built it can only help that as well. And who knows what else.

I should be surprised at how short sighted many are in regards to so much. What business would spend millions of dollars to build something somewhere that couldn't support it? There are times where part of me wishes you had to past some sort of test to breed or vote lol.

Question, I'm not sure if there is a "standard" or not, but can you ballpark approximately what kind of capacity a relatively decent/nice hotel needs for profitability? Not trying to get to specific on brand or whatnot, just wondering if there's an industry average or something out there.

I wonder how pissed some of these people will be when the Zoo builds a hotel in the next decade or so.
        The typical break-even point has been around 40% occupancy. Some a little higher or lower depending on type of hotel. Resorts and Luxury hotels can run a little lower because they have more profit centers (restaurants, spa, golf, etc). The standard select service hotels around here pretty much only rely on guest rooms and a little bit of meeting space for money. Obviously breaking even isn't the goal - but it gives you a good starting point.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

The typical break-even point has been around 40% occupancy. Some a little higher or lower depending on type of hotel. Resorts and Luxury hotels can run a little lower because they have more profit centers (restaurants, spa, golf, etc). The standard select service hotels around here pretty much only rely on guest rooms and a little bit of meeting space for money. Obviously breaking even isn't the goal - but it gives you a good starting point.
          I appreciate that information. I know I'd heard that number, or something similar, years ago and I don't know why or where. It may have had something to do with a business class, but I thought it was relatively "low" compared to what the average Joe may think. Or maybe it's the below average Joe.

And this new hotel will have the rooftop bar which I'm sure is going to generate some revenue for them as I've always thought it was a cool idea and was surprised that I haven't heard about such in Wichita previously. I think there may be a one or two story building downtown that has something, but that's not the same as I believe this one will be six or seven floors up.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm not sure if this really adds anything more than we already know, but...

Ballpark Digest - Wichita Ballpark District details unveiled

The team and the city are working with EPC Real Estate Group on the development. The new hotel, featuring 155 rooms, will be part of the Dream Hotel Group, a luxury brand designed to be tailored for each location. The specific design hasn’t been finalized–those are concepts on the renderings here–but the plan is for the hotel to run seven or eight stories, featuring multiple food and beverage offerings, including an indoor-outdoor rooftop bar and lounge and a signature restaurant on the street level. The hotel will also include balconies providing views directly into home plate. The hotel represents $40 million of the total projected $70 for the district, which will also include riverfront trails and other improvements on the west bank of the Arkansas River.
            Am I reading this correctly? The hotel will be $40M, then the other $30M is the parking garage, other office buildings and improvements along the river?

The 'signature restaurant' will be interesting to see. One has to wonder what direction they'll go with it. They keep talking about this brand of hotels is tailored to the location and I wonder if that includes the restaurant. And if so, what does that mean?

“This is an exciting day,” said Jordan Kobritz, CEO of Wichita Riverfront LP, via press release. “It’s another step in fulfilling the vision and commitment we made to the City when we moved the team here from New Orleans. Like the stadium has done in Minor League Baseball, Unscripted Wichita will set the standard for quality, customer service and value in the local hotel industry.”
            I hope they can live up to this.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Why not...

ftn News - Dream Hotel Group to Open Unscripted Hotel in Downtown Wichita

Scheduled to open in 2024, Unscripted Wichita will feature 155 beautifully designed guest rooms and multiple food and beverage offerings, including a signature restaurant on the street level and an impressive rooftop bar and lounge with sweeping views of the downtown skyline and Riverfront Stadium, transforming the section of S. McLean Blvd between Maple and Texas Streets into a communal gathering place for guests and local Wichitans to meet, eat, drink and play.

“The Unscripted Hotels brand is a great fit for the city of Wichita. Driven by local food and beverage, thoughtful design and a culture of friendly service, Unscripted gives travelers what they want in a hotel – an authentic experience that delights the senses and enhances their lifestyle, but at a more accessible price point,” said Dream Hotel Group CEO Jay Stein.

“We found a great partner in EPC Real Estate Group, a company that plays an important role in Wichita’s history and transformation story. We are excited to collaborate with such a talented group who understands and appreciates our brand of hospitality and represents the values we share in contributing to the revitalization of great cities.”
              I'm just enjoying the publicity and the potential of the area.

City of Wichita Mayor Dr. Brandon Whipple stated: “This new addition to our riverfront adds a much-needed amenity, that furthers vitality to the popular Delano neighborhood, while advancing our overall downtown redevelopment efforts. Wichita presents the perfect opportunity for growth, and we’re thrilled to see continued investment in our city.”

Home of the Wichita Wind Surge Minor League Baseball team, Riverfront Stadium hosts 150-175 events each year with approximately 500,000 annual visitors. The new office-retail development will open directly onto the ballpark’s concourse to the west, with plans for a pedestrian sky bridge to the east of McLean Blvd connecting to the new Unscripted Wichita hotel.

The largest city in Kansas, Wichita is a vibrant destination that radiates friendliness and ingenuity as the “Air Capital of the World.” Proud of its history as the birthplace to iconic aircraft manufacturing companies Beechcraft, Cessna and Stearman Aircraft, the city remains a major center of the American aircraft industry today with Textron, Learjet, Airbus and Boeing/Spirit AeroSystems continuing to operate in Wichita.

The assets that led to its success – connectivity, innovation and people – are now heralding a new era for the Heart of the Country. With the city undergoing considerable regeneration and gaining momentum on the sporting and cultural events stage, Wichita is quickly becoming one of the country’s most popular tourist destinations and a place where art aficionados, history lovers, self-proclaimed foodies and outdoor adventurers all find a lot to love.
              I need a fact check on that last paragraph. I would love for it to be true. Has tourism picked up in Wichita? Are there some secrets that are getting out there? I know we have more to offer than most know, or will admit, but nothing that jumps out at you as a big attention grabber.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Improvements at Southwestern. Not technically in the 316, but I'm pretty sure is still a part of the metro area.

Southwestern College residence hall groundbreaking a part of 'brighter future'

Students and staff had input on the design, according to the college. The residence hall, which is yet to be named, will be targeted toward sophomores and juniors, but it will include a fitness space and common gathering areas that all students can access.

The building will take a suite-style living approach, and each unit will have access to a lounge with natural light from several large windows.

Simpson Construction president Jared Simpson said the building will emphasize technology, security and students' mental and physical well-being.

He added that durability and efficiency — without compromising on comfort or aesthetics — are a focus, and that the residence hall will feature a variable refrigerant flow system that allows each suite independent temperature control while maintaining the building's energy efficiency.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Putting the Wichita region at the forefront of cancer clinical trials

And Humphries says Via Christi is the only hospital in Ascension's national network to offer CAR T therapies to patients.

"We're actually working with national to help other sites have this therapy available," she said. "What I really love is several of our patients have actually been rural-area patients, so we've been able to keep them closer to home."

Via Christi is also part of an effort to explore the newest and most innovative cancer treatments through clinical trials — not only in Wichita but around the state.

The treatments are made possible through a collaborative clinical community oncology program called Cancer Research of Kansas, and its participation in the National Cancer Institute's National Clinical Trials Network system. The program recruits participants for investigational studies designed to determine new ways to treat, prevent, detect, diagnose and control cancer.

And Via Christi is considered one of the top accruing sites in the network.
                  And to get a feel for the scope of what they're doing

Current trials

Cancer Research of Kansas — a clinical community oncology program lead by Ascension Via Christi — is currently conducting trials targeting the following types of cancers:
                  • Bone marrow transplant: lymphoma, myeloma
                  • Brain: malignant gliomas, anaplastic astrocytomas, oligodendroglioma, medulloblastoma
                  • Breast: DCIS, preoperative chemotherapy followed by surgery,
                  • Stage I, II, III and IV
                  • Cancer control: Studies for prevention of cancer and to manage symptoms such as weight loss, nausea, fatigue, pain control
                  • Gastrointestinal: colorectal, esophagus, pancreas, stomach
                  • Gynecology: cervical, ovarian, endometrial
                  • Head and Neck: cancer of larynx, oral cavity, oropharynx, hypopharynx
                  • Leukemia: ALL, AML, CLL, APL, cytogenetics
                  • Lung: non-small cell and small cell, Mesothelioma
                  • Lymphoma: non-Hodgkin's, Mantle cell, Hodgkin's, gastric malt, CNS lymphoma
                  • Melanoma: adjuvant, metastatic
                  • Multiple myeloma: Waldenstrom's & Multiple Myeloma
                  • Sarcoma: soft tissue
                  • Urinary: bladder, prostate, renal
                  Who knew?
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Get ready for Taco Fest in Andover Saturday

It will be a fest with more than just food.

“We also have the Lucha Libre Wrestling that’s gonna be taking toward the evening part of the events,” Okpara said. “We have a Jalapeño Competition. We have margaritas. We have beer. We have a kid’s playground area. We’re gonna have a bunch of cool yard games.”

Thousands of people are expected to turn up for a taco after a two-year hiatus due to COVID-19.

“We definitely think people want the festival back and are happy to have it back,” said Okpara.

With a large crowd expected, vendors are stocking up.

“We plan on having about 5,000 tacos available.” said the Owner and Manager of Los Compadres, Juan Carlos Renteria.
                    Who doesn't love tacos?
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Fireworks shows around Kansas for the 4th of July

Those of you outside of the metro can find a list of potential displays in the link above. There are a lot of them all over the state. I'm just going to list the ones in the metro area though.

Arkansas City

Fireworks Show, July 4, Spring Hill Golf Course – The fireworks display will start at dark. The music will be provided by 95.9 BOB FM. Bring lawn chairs or blankets to watch at the golf course. Earlier in the evening, at 7:30, enjoy the Arkansas City Community Band Concert performance at Wilson Park, 701 N. Summit St.

Augusta

Fireworks Display, July 4. Augusta City Lake at dusk.

Derby

Independence Day – Multiple events and locations. Kansas Grown Farmers Market, 8 a.m.-noon, Madison Avenue Central Park; parade at 10 a.m. begins at Panther Stadium and circles back to the stadium; free admission to Derby Historical Museum 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; Fire Station 81 Open House 10:30 a.m.-Noon, 715 E. Madison Avenue; Annual Firecracker Race 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., High Park, 2801 E. James Street; Fireworks in the Park, July 4, High Park, 2801 S. James St. – Event begins at 6 p.m. with fireworks around 9:40 p.m. Bring blankets, lawn chairs, picnic dinners, but no alcohol or personal fireworks. Food trucks will be available.

El Dorado

Fireworks Show, July 4, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. East Park and McDonald Stadium, 298 N. Griffith St.

Garden Plain

Independence Day Celebration, July 4, Garden Plain City Park – Full day of events starting with a breakfast at 6:30 a.m. Other events include a 5K Freedom Run, a parade, ax throwing, money dig, washer tournament, cornhole tournament, watermelon-eating contest, and a dance. Fireworks are set for 10 p.m. There are fees for some events. Help cover the cost of the fireworks display by purchasing a commemorative button or koozie.

Goddard

Goddard Lions Club Fireworks Show, July 2, north of Clark Davidson Elementary, 333 S. Walnut – 7:00 to 10:30 p.m. All events are free. Free food will be available while supplies last. Pool party to follow fireworks show until midnight at the Goddard city pool. Bring lawn chairs and blankets. The fireworks begin when it’s dark.

Haysville

4th of July Celebration, July 4, Riggs Park, 706 Sarah Ln. – Full day of events for the family, including a parade at 8 a.m., kids fishing derby at 9 a.m., frog races at 10 a.m., free hot dogs at 11 a.m., water games at 11 a.m., raft races at the pool, a water carnival at the pool from 1–6 p.m., a food court from 6 p.m.-10 p.m., a concert from 7:30 p.m.-9:45 p.m., and the fireworks show around 9:45 p.m.

Hutchinson

Independence Day Fireworks Extravaganza, July 4, Kansas State Fairgrounds Lot C, 2000 N. Poplar – Bring a lawn chair or blanket and enjoy the fireworks at dusk.

Kingman

Family Fest, July 4, Riverside Park. A day of fun, starting with a family parade down Main Street at 9 a.m. A kids’ fun zone, swim at the city pool, and karaoke will be free. Other events, such as the dunk tank, a duck race, splash dash, and cornhole tournament, have a cost and may need pre-registration. The free fireworks show is set to start at 9:45 p.m.

Park City

4th of July Celebration, July 4, Hap McLean Park, 6801 N. Hydraulic – Full day of events includes a parade, car show, pet show, water carnival, a clown, inflatables, music and food trucks. Fireworks at 10 p.m.

Wellington

City Fireworks Display, July 4, Hargis Creek Watershed Park – Free fireworks display will begin shortly after dusk.

Wichita

Bradley Fair Summer Concert Series Presents Injoy Fountain, June 30 at 7:30 p.m. Bradley Fair, 2000 N. Rock Road. Fireworks following the concert. Free.

Veterans Memorial Park Ceremony, Saturday, July 2, from 9 to 10 a.m. Held at the Revolutionary War Memorial, 339 Veterans Parkway. The event includes a color guard, a rifle salute, and a bugler playing taps. Free.

Celebrate America at Old Cowtown Museum, 1865 W. Museum Blvd, July 2, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Regular admission applies. Enjoy an old-fashioned Independence Day with horseshoes, sack races, and carnival games. The Old Cowtown experience includes saloon girls and a Wild West gunfight reenactment.

Red, White & BOOM! July 4, 7 p.m. Riverfront Stadium, 275 S. McLean Blvd. Free. Hosted by the Wichita Parks Foundation and Wichita Park and Recreation. Food and drinks will be available for purchase at food trucks south of the Hyatt Lawn. Fireworks will start at 9:40 p.m. or if the Wind Surge game is running late, 10 minutes after the end of the game.

Some of these may not have fireworks displays and are just Independence Day celebrations.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - I-235 ramp to I-135 closing for 2 hours Friday night

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Northbound drivers may get a surprise if they try to take the northbound ramp from U.S. Interstate 235 to northbound U.S. Interstate 135 in Wichita Friday night, June 24.

The Kansas Department of Transportation is closing the northbound ramp for two hours, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

KDOT said the closure is so workers can safely off-load bridge beams for the interchange construction in that area.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Eagle - A once-premier east Wichita shopping center is about to undergo a transformation

It's premierness was apparently well before my time, but I've driven by Normandie Center many times over the years, but don't think I've ever stopped there for anything. I have been across the street for some Wichita Brewing Company pizza though.

New owners Brent and Kerrie DuPont want to change that through substantial renovations and a new, vibrant mix of tenants.

“There’s been a lot more demand than I would have ever thought,” Brent DuPont said.

He’s already signed a deal with Sebastian Gordon, who has been a minority partner in Dempsey’s Burger Pub, to open a new restaurant called Red Bird.

Several more deals are in the works.

“We want to try to stay local,” DuPont said. “That’s important to us.”
                          Il Primo Espresso Caffe will remain in its end spot along Woodlawn along with NuWay next door and Yokohama Ramen Izakaya next to that.

Two longtime businesses have to go. Dee Clark’s barber shop already has closed, and her husband Richard Clark’s Advanced Shoe Repair will be leaving. The building where they’ve been will be reconfigured and likely enlarged.
                          River City Sweet Shop also is leaving.

Marilyn Ramsey said she decided her shop couldn’t weather the renovation period.

Her last day in business will be July 31. She has an auction scheduled for Aug. 9, but Ramsey said she’s still hoping something will work out for her to open elsewhere.
                          I've seen a number of people on social media not pleased with this one. I never knew there was any kind of sweet shop there. I may have to try and check it out before she closes.

But we'll have to see if this new vision helps the area out and helps boost business.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Eagle - Blowing off steam by breaking things is all the rage at new north Wichita business

“After COVID, we’re all frustrated and fried. I figured we could use a release,” said Tyler Koch.

Koch and partner Jayden Martinez opened the doors to ICT Rage Room in April. Four days a week, they serve customers looking to blow off steam.

Hundreds of similar businesses have popped up across the U.S. in recent years, but ICT Rage Room is the first of its kind in Wichita. It’s open to customers 10 and older, and Koch says almost two-thirds of their clientele are women.
                            I've often wondered how places like this acquire things to break and how much it may cost to stock said objects. Apparently the answer is it doesn't cost a thing as everything is pretty much donated. They'll gladly come and pick up anything people want to get rid of and are planning to throw out at no charge.

Again, this isn't my scene, but I get it and understand how it can be therapeutic to many and can be good for mental health.

They open at 5pm on Friday's and then noon Saturday-Monday.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Eagle - A once-premier east Wichita shopping center is about to undergo a transformation

It's premierness was apparently well before my time, but I've driven by Normandie Center many times over the years, but don't think I've ever stopped there for anything. I have been across the street for some Wichita Brewing Company pizza though.

I've seen a number of people on social media not pleased with this one. I never knew there was any kind of sweet shop there. I may have to try and check it out before she closes.

But we'll have to see if this new vision helps the area out and helps boost business.
                              The demo-ing of the large pharmacy building in front of Normandie helped it out a great deal. The new McDonald's that replaced it is far more aesthetically-pleasing, and more importantly since the McD's is much narrower in width it opened up the shopping center to a good deal more street exposure from Central.

Wish Prairie Village one mile to the north would get the same love, although it is admittedly doing far better since Walter Morris bought it.

Comment

• Wichita Warbird Weekend

The five-day event will feature nine vintage and historic warbirds and aircraft, including four airplanes that will have ride flight opportunities. It will also include a Saturday night concert in the hangar (July 9), featuring the Echos Band, which will play music from the 1980s to provide fun for all ages. A food truck and beverages will be available during the evening event on July 9. Admission throughout the week, including the evening concert event, will be $10 per person or $20 per family.

The aircraft attending the July 6-10 event will be:
                                • Aircraft Available for Ride Flights and Static Display
                                  • B-29 Doc (Doc’s Friends, Wichita, KS)
                                  • B-25 Berlin Express (EAA: Oshkosh, WI)
                                  • Stearman PT-13 (CAF Heart of America Wing: Gardner, KS)
                                  • Cessna UC-78 Bobcat (CAF Jayhawk Wing: Wichita, KS)
                                • Aircraft Available for Static/Ground Display
                                  • Cessna L-19
                                  • North American Aviation T-6 Texan
                                  • Beech Staggerwing
                                  • Fairchild PT-26
                                  • Taylorcraft L-2

In addition to the aircraft on display and operating ride flights, the Kansas Women in Aviation Hall of Fame and Exhibit, along with the B-29 Doc Hangar, Education and Visitors Center will be available for tour.
                                Looks like this could be a cool event. A chance to get a look at some old warbirds up close and personal.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X