No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This coming Saturday, Feb 18th, 135 South will be shut down at the north junction for bridge work and drivers will be detoured onto 235 and have to doe the Broadway detour to get back on 135 south.

Other project impacting traffic this ween include:
    • Tuesday, Feb. 14 — The northbound I-135 exit to eastbound Kansas Highway 254 will be closed from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. for bridge work over the ramp.
    • Tuesday, Feb. 14 — The Hydraulic entrance ramp to northbound I-135 will close from approximately 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. as a barrier wall is installed on the ramp.
    • Wednesday, Feb. 15 — Workers will install a barrier wall at the bottom of the westbound Kansas Highway 96 ramp to southbound I-135 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The ramp will remain open, and the right lane of southbound I-135 will be used as the acceleration lane for ramp traffic. Southbound I-135 traffic going into the area will be reduced from three lanes to two lanes for a short distance.
    • Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday — This project is not connected to the North Junction project. If the weather is good, the right lane of westbound K-96 between Greenwich and Webb will close for pavement patching between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      This coming Saturday, Feb 18th, 135 South will be shut down at the north junction for bridge work and drivers will be detoured onto 235 and have to doe the Broadway detour to get back on 135 south.

Other project impacting traffic this ween include:
      • Tuesday, Feb. 14 — The northbound I-135 exit to eastbound Kansas Highway 254 will be closed from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. for bridge work over the ramp.
      • Tuesday, Feb. 14 — The Hydraulic entrance ramp to northbound I-135 will close from approximately 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. as a barrier wall is installed on the ramp.
      • Wednesday, Feb. 15 — Workers will install a barrier wall at the bottom of the westbound Kansas Highway 96 ramp to southbound I-135 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The ramp will remain open, and the right lane of southbound I-135 will be used as the acceleration lane for ramp traffic. Southbound I-135 traffic going into the area will be reduced from three lanes to two lanes for a short distance.
      • Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday — This project is not connected to the North Junction project. If the weather is good, the right lane of westbound K-96 between Greenwich and Webb will close for pavement patching between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
      135 South will not be closed this weekend. Weather has pushed some other projects back a day or so and that project has been pushed.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• ICT looking to expand flight offerings.

WBJ - Wichita airport chooses consultant to help add air service

“There are several opportunities for new destinations, particularly to the east and west coasts,” the Council agenda reads. “As Wichita competes with all airports in the U.S. for air service, the consulting firm will need to present convincing cases for airlines to increase capacity and add new service.”

Eisenhower National Airport is coming off a rebound year from Covid-19 that, as previously reported by the WBJ, ended with total ridership within 14% of the passenger record set in 2019.

The 1.53 million passengers in 2022 included 768,837 people flying out of Wichita, which was 88% of the emplacement mark in 2019.

The airport’s existing route network has year-round destinations to Seattle, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Denver, St. Louis and Houston.

Those are served by six airlines: Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Air Lines, American Airlines, Allegiant Air and Alaska Airlines.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More big news for Newton. GAF Materials will build a manufacturing facility up there.

WBJ - $350M project in Newton will be region's largest private investment in 5 years

The site is planned on 230 acres in Kansas Logistics Park, an industrial park in Newton at the southwest corner of 12th Street and Hillside.

The project is expected to create at least 137 full-time employees within four years.

So far, there are few details about the plans, including the size of the facility, what manufacturing operations will take place within the facility, or the construction timeline. GAF has not immediately responded to a request for comment.

"What we really wanted to bring to the table tonight was the fact that we found it a very good experience working with the city, with the commissioners, with the city staff," Tommy Richardson, GAF's vice president of operations, said during the City Commission meeting on Tuesday. "... It would be a travesty not to mention Beth Shelton (Harvey County Economic Development) as well."

Richardson added that the officials "have been very gracious and very tough in their negotiations, and we appreciate that a lot."
          Last edited by SubGod22; February 17, 2023, 03:50 PM.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

More big news for Newton. GAF Materials will build a manufacturing facility up there.

WBJ - $350M project in Newton will be region's largest private investment in 5 years

FIFY

Comment

• Good call.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Goddard takes aim at Park City. Doesn't want competition.

Eagle - Park City unhappy with Goddard officials: 'Not the time to give their two cents'

When the city of Park City held a forum for comments about a proposed STAR bonds district last week, city administrator Sean Fox said his intent was for members of the public to comment — not other cities and their administrators.

However, Goddard city attorney Ryan Peck and Goddard Mayor Hunter Larkin appeared at the meeting to express their concerns that a new Park City development could hurt the existing sales tax and revenue bonds district in Goddard.

“This is not the time to give their two cents,” Fox said. “If the city attorney for Goddard doesn’t understand that, well, then I think they’ve got bigger problems.”
                Then this is the part that made me laugh a little.

Champtown Partnership member and spokesman Matt Baty said Goddard’s own research ahead of its STAR bonds project showed that the greater Wichita market could sustain more than 100 new baseball and softball fields.

“That’s their own words, not our words,” he said.

As the owner of the 316 Sluggers Elite baseball academy, Baty said he has a feasibility study that shows “there is plenty of opportunity in this market for additional baseball and softball fields.”
                I'm assuming the Goddard study that Baty used is true and if so, it really cuts into the beef that Goddard has with Park City.

I think they also mention something about the fields being a part of the STAR bond being illegal, which I don't fully get off the top of my head, but if new fields are built elsewhere in PC, then there's nothing that could be done in that regard, even if they're right next to the district.

I get people not wanting to face competition if they don't have to. The Goddard facility is relatively nice from what I can recall. I know I attended a couple of games out there last summer. But I'd also say as someone from Butler County, I think the teams from here or based in east Wichita and such might prefer having a little closer option at times.

But what it still comes down to is who hosts what where and how good the competition is or isn't. Most teams, or most higher level teams, don't generally chose a tournament strictly on location. Hell, I've watched tournaments at the fields in Colwich and that is an inadequate facility. Almost zero parking at the park. People were parking down the street at the grocery store or The Keg.

I do think the metro area could use a few more facilities. Most tournaments I've been to have been at Two Rivers, which is a pretty good setup unless soccer is being hosted there as well. Then the parking is mad house and can be tough to come by. But to my recollection most are held at Two Rivers, Genesis or Southlake. Though I think all of the Southlake fields are larger and they have to utilize the temporary fencing on all of the fields which can be a bit of a pain in the ass.

I think the next closest facility that's generally used in the area would be in Hutch. I always want to call it Happy Valley or something. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Goddard takes aim at Park City. Doesn't want competition.

Eagle - Park City unhappy with Goddard officials: 'Not the time to give their two cents'

I'm assuming the Goddard study that Baty used is true and if so, it really cuts into the beef that Goddard has with Park City.

I think they also mention something about the fields being a part of the STAR bond being illegal, which I don't fully get off the top of my head, but if new fields are built elsewhere in PC, then there's nothing that could be done in that regard, even if they're right next to the district.

I get people not wanting to face competition if they don't have to. The Goddard facility is relatively nice from what I can recall. I know I attended a couple of games out there last summer. But I'd also say as someone from Butler County, I think the teams from here or based in east Wichita and such might prefer having a little closer option at times.

But what it still comes down to is who hosts what where and how good the competition is or isn't. Most teams, or most higher level teams, don't generally chose a tournament strictly on location. Hell, I've watched tournaments at the fields in Colwich and that is an inadequate facility. Almost zero parking at the park. People were parking down the street at the grocery store or The Keg.

I do think the metro area could use a few more facilities. Most tournaments I've been to have been at Two Rivers, which is a pretty good setup unless soccer is being hosted there as well. Then the parking is mad house and can be tough to come by. But to my recollection most are held at Two Rivers, Genesis or Southlake. Though I think all of the Southlake fields are larger and they have to utilize the temporary fencing on all of the fields which can be a bit of a pain in the ass.

I think the next closest facility that's generally used in the area would be in Hutch. I always want to call it Happy Valley or something. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.
                  I believe it's Fun Valley, but has lost most of its luster... they probably call it 'Sad Valley' now.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I believe it's Fun Valley, but has lost most of its luster... they probably call it 'Sad Valley' now.
                    That sounds right. I honestly haven't been up there in a few years. My oldest niece played there a fair amount 12 years or so ago, but less as she got older. Her youngest sister is a FR this year in HS and I think has only played there once for any of her clubs. Outside of the lack of shade, it always seemed like a decent place.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

That sounds right. I honestly haven't been up there in a few years. My oldest niece played there a fair amount 12 years or so ago, but less as she got older. Her youngest sister is a FR this year in HS and I think has only played there once for any of her clubs. Outside of the lack of shade, it always seemed like a decent place.
                      It was the cat's meow in the late 1980's and 90's...

Comment

• We'll see what comes of this. I no longer go down in that area on a regular basis, but damn, hitting a train there around 21st and Broadway(ish). I could casually eat my entire lunch while waiting.

KSN - Wichita to study 21st Street railroad crossing delays

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — For all the drivers who get frustrated by the railroad tracks on 21st Street North in Wichita, there is hope for smoother rides and fewer stops ahead.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) is giving the City of Wichita a $1 million grant to study ways to improve traffic in the area.

Kansas Congressman Ron Estes said that he and Senators Jerry Moran and Roger Marshall sent a letter to Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg in November and outlined the problems along 21st Street.

The street is one of the connectors between east and west Wichita. It is used by people in Wichita’s North End, Nomar, ict21 Industrial District and Wichita State University.

“Currently, the 21st Street Corridor runs between two distinct and culturally rich communities in the city,” Estes wrote.
                        I also didn't realize there was so much vacant land in that area. I'm not surprised when thinking about it, as the trains do disrupt quite a bit. If something could be figured out to keep delays minimal then we might see more economic development in that area and that would be huge for north Wichita.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

We'll see what comes of this. I no longer go down in that area on a regular basis, but damn, hitting a train there around 21st and Broadway(ish). I could casually eat my entire lunch while waiting.

KSN - Wichita to study 21st Street railroad crossing delays

I also didn't realize there was so much vacant land in that area. I'm not surprised when thinking about it, as the trains do disrupt quite a bit. If something could be figured out to keep delays minimal then we might see more economic development in that area and that would be huge for north Wichita.
                          That would be a big win for the city… it’s been a problem in forever.

Well, not quite this long, but it was even a challenge back in Ross and my day…

“On May 16, 1872, the first train arrived in Wichita on a dark and stormy night. No photographer was on hand to record the historic event. However, weeks later, a photo was taken where a stockyard facility was located near Kellogg street.”

http://ausbcomp.com/~bbott/winfield/...llogg%20street.

Comment

• New endangered animal born at Tanganyika.

Live 5 News - 'Incredible moment': Zoo announces birth of endangered rhino calf

WICHITA, Kan. (Gray News) – A zoo in Kansas is welcoming the arrival of a baby Indian rhino that made its way into the world Thursday night.

Tanganyika Wildlife Park in Wichita said the male baby rhino, named MarJon – or MJ for short – was born to mom Monica and dad Stacks.

MJ weighed in at approximately 80 to 90 pounds and was up and nursing just a few hours after birth.

“Monica is a new mother but acts like a pro and has been bonding with her rhino baby,” TWP said in a news release. “Both mom and baby are doing great, and we are excited to see MarJon grow and develop in the coming weeks and months.”

The park said MJ’s arrival came after 462 days of pregnancy, which is now the record for shortest rhino gestation.
                            Wichita has had a rough go of animal zoo babies the past few months. Hopefully MJ stays healthy and has a remarkable life.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita doing a bit to try and help with the child care shortage in the area.

WBJ - Wichita changes zoning code to increase capacity of home daycares

In an effort to improve access to child care, Wichita's City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to increase the capacity of home daycares from 10 to 12 children.

More specifically, the vote was to approve an amendment to the Unified Zoning Code, which is shared by Wichita and Sedgwick County and includes regulations for home occupations and daycares.

The effort is in response to a desperate need for child-care availability in the Wichita area that officials say has a significant impact on the local workforce.

"This truly is an economic development issue, it’s a workforce issue," said City Council member Becky Tuttle, who helped spearhead the effort. "Almost every meeting I’m going to in the community we’re talking about child care in some way, so I’m glad that the city can be forward leading and really take some steps."

Local officials say the previous zoning code was more restrictive than state regulations, so the new version more closely aligns with the state.
                              This alone won't open enough spots for what the need is, but it could help some people.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Goddard takes aim at Park City. Doesn't want competition.

The City of Goddard, as in the admin, officials, and staff, is to good governance what the surface of the sun is to just a run-of-the-mill, everyday dumpster fire. Add in the Shhhtevens sucking so hard at the Goddard STAR nipple that it mimics the vacuum of space, and the City of Goddard might as well be a Supernova at current time.

That's not to give Park City a pass. Park City wishes it could channel public development corruption and nincompoopery as well as Goddard has pulled off the past few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X