No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBJ - Lead for America moves HQ to Wichita as it works to keep young talent in their hometowns

An organization whose mission it is to retain young talent in their hometowns has moved its headquarters to downtown Wichita.

Lead for America, launched in 2017 by Kansas native Joe Nail, has opened an office at 100 S. Market St., in the COrTen building at the southeast corner of Douglas and Market.

"We wanted to always maintain that connectivity and connection to Kansas, and so we felt like Wichita was the right pick," Nail said.
    "It seemed like success was always defined in terms of leaving and not coming back," he said. "I really fully absorbed that message and I didn't apply to any colleges or universities within an eight-hour driving distance of Kansas."

It wasn't until Nail left Kansas that he began to question the notion: What does it mean for the future of those communities if their brightest talent is encouraged to leave and not come back?
    "We want people who are in this area, who want to work on challenges facing the community, to know that they can come in here, they can work on those challenges, they can hold listening sessions or engaging sessions with folks," Shepard said.

To underscore its Wichita headquarters, Nail said the goal is to continue investing in the community and in the state where it's officially headquartered. That includes getting involved with the NextGen Under 30 program, for example, or facilitating forums or debates for upcoming local elections.
    Sounds like a solid organization doing good work.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• AOL - Growing Wichita company expands with new headquarters and a new office in Orlando

In July, the company is moving into the 21,000-square-foot former National Guard Armory on Edgemoor just north of Central.

“We’re remodeling it,” owner and president Ben Farha said. “It’s a pretty substantial project.”

The company currently is in smaller space near Harry and Hillside.

Farha said bad parking and a lack of space prompted the move.

“We’re growing,” he said.
      Along with the new headquarters, Farha Roofing now has a sixth office, this time in Orlando.

A former employee lives there, and if it weren’t for him, Farha said he probably wouldn’t have opened an office there. However, he said hurricanes make the state a good one for roofers.

“Obviously, that’s a big attraction. We know the work’s there. There’s always storms down there.”

In addition to Orlando and Wichita, the company also has offices in Denver, Durango and southeast Colorado as well as Kansas City, Mo.
      I know nothing of Farha roofing other than I've heard/seen commercials for them and the Farha name is well known in this area. But a local company growing its footprint is always a good thing. Establishing themselves in Florida will probably do them a lot of good.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Music and movies. Sounds fun.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Eastsiders about to get a taste of the Artichoke.

AOL - Popular Wichita Irish bar and restaurant is expanding, adding an east-side location

The owners of the bar at 811 N. Broadway, which has been in business for nearly 40 years, have just signed a lease to take over the former Wendy’s space on the ground level of the Terra-Cotta Tower, the tall office building at 2959 N. Rock Road. They plan to use it for an east-side version of the Artichoke that they’ll call Artichoke East.
          One difference: During the dinner hour, Artichoke East will also offer a menu of Irish favorites like baked potatoes, shepherd’s pie, mulligan stew, and bangers and mash. The bar is famous for serving the latter two dishes every year during its St. Patrick’s Day party.

Artichoke East will also have a small outdoor patio, and the owners will utilize the drive-through that’s already there.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• PROGRESS!!!

KSN - Long-awaited new I-135 ramp to open in north Wichita

The Kansas Department of Transportation says the flyover ramp from northbound I-135 to I-235 will probably open on Wednesday, May 31, about two months earlier than expected.

“Everyone will breathe a sigh of relief, and traffic will be much better in the North Junction area,” Tom Hein, Wichita Metro public affairs manager, said. “We look for fewer crashes, just a smoother flow of traffic, less stop and go, and we won’t be dealing with that loop ramp where you have to merge in with the westbound K-254 traffic that just doesn’t work anymore. So this is going to be a great day when this opens.”
            As someone who travels that area often, mostly from 254 to 235, this will be a welcomed relief. Especially when I'm on the bike as that loop really complicates travel and can be quite dangerous at times. And I know the traffic off of 135 to 235 will be a massive relief as well.

K-96 work is next. I didn't realize that there will be a direct connection from 235 to 96 when that's completed. You'll no longer have to exit onto 135 and then almost immediately exit to 96. That will be a huge improvement as well.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm not Asian. I don't attend this event. But this news makes me happy. I love the idea of massively successful events and this kind of cultural event is something I'm glad to see is being embraced. Maybe one day I'll head down and check it out. That's a lot of people for me to go on my own.

AOL - Wichita's first Asian Night Market so unexpectedly crowded, it's moved to baseball stadium

This year’s Asian Night Market will happen from 5 to 10 p.m. Saturday at Wichita’s Riverfront Stadium, 300 S. Sycamore. It will feature 60 vendors, about half of them food vendors. That’s up from last year’s roster of 40, which included food vendors that all sold out.

The list of vendors that will spread out on the ball field on Saturday also will include booths stocked with arts and crafts items like henna body art, jewelry, T-shirts and anime figurines. Among the many food vendors will be Wichita favorites like Kobe Steakhouse of Japan, Great Wall, Rice & Roll by Xing Xing, Tiger Rice Japanese Kitchen, Mochinut and Komugi Japanese Bakery. Several other Asian associations and home cooks also will be serving food, and five boba tea vendors, including Feng Cha and Joy Tea, also will be there.

The evening will also include games and activities for adults and kids, an interactive community art project lead by a local Asian-American artist, and an Asian-American film that will be played on the big screen at 9 p.m.
              There's a list of vendors at the bottom of the article.

I really hope this continues to grow and be successful. I enjoy learning about and experiencing new things, and cultures fascinate me in general.

Events like this should absolutely be embraced and only make Wichita a better place.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm a small town kid so I can appreciate this.

KSN - Betty's is the place to be in Douglass

It’s an all too common occurrence in small Kansas towns; grocery stores and restaurants closing, leaving residents with few or no options other than driving to a bigger town to purchase fresh produce or to buy a meal.

Douglass is one of those towns, but a new burger joint is up and running and thriving.

There was a time when Douglass had lots of places to eat. But like so many rural Kansas towns, most of those establishments have disappeared. Just as restaurants were closing, a new place opened. Now, Betty’s is the place to be.

Dining options in Douglass have dried up in recent years.

“There was a little cafe called The Triangle. It had been here for many, many years, and they shut down a little bit after we opened up,” said Betty’s co-owner Terry Gulick. “And there was a Pizza Hut, and they went out after we opened this up.”

“The Triangle was great, and Craig’s was great, but when they closed down, they really did need somewhere to go,” said Betty’s co-owner Kathy Gibson.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Some Capitol Federal Amphitheater news.

May 31 - June 4: Rock of Ages put on by Music Theatre Wichita. Seven shows to choose from.

KEYN is hosting a Concerts in the Park series featuring what I believe are all local bands. Admission is free to these events and there will be food trucks available. All shows are from 8-10 pm

Friday, June 16 - Liew Brown Band
                  Friday, June 23 - Across The Pond
                  Friday, June 30 - Annie Up
                  Friday, July 7 - Lucky People

They don't appear to have any national type acts scheduled as of right now. They can sometimes get an older band/artist that can be fun to get out and watch. I'll try to update if I see/hear any more on what's going on there in Andover.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Wichita's free Q-Line expands route for summer

Wichita’s Q-Line will extend its route for the summer.

The free bus typically serves Douglas from Crown Heights to Delano. The bus will now extend west along Museum Boulevard to provide direct access to Exploration Place, Mid-America All-Indian Museum, Wichita Art Museum, Old Cowtown and the Advanced Learning Library. During the summer, children and their parents can explore museums for free through the Sunflower Summer program.

The Q-Line’s summertime extension runs from Saturday, May 27, through Saturday, Aug. 12, and will operate Monday through Saturday from early morning to late evening.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Speaking of concert series, this article lays out a number of summer concerts in different areas.

AOL - Sounds of the season: Wichita's many summer concert series are back

BRADLEY FAIR SUMMER CONCERT SERIES

All five Thursdays in June are booked for the concerts in the 23rd year of the series. Performances are from 7:30-9:30 p.m., with kid-friendly pre-show activities from 6 to 7 p.m. They happen at the shopping center at 2000 N. Rock Road, and people can bring blankets and lawn chairs and set up along the grassy area that surrounds Bradley Fair Lake. They also can set up lawn chairs at 5 p.m. the day of the concert on the plaza near the fountain. The final concert will be capped by a fireworks show at approximately 9:30 p.m. For more information, visit bradleyfair.com/event/summer-concert-series-2023/

Featured this year:
                      • June 1: Rudy Love Jr. (R&B, soul, funk, jazz)
                      • June 8: Daydream (funk/fusion)
                      • June 15: Music Theatre Wichita: “Broadway Unplugged”
                      • June 22: Josué Estrada Band (funk/soul/jazz)
                      • June 29: Low Pressure System (rock/alternative, indie)
                      TREEHOUSE CONCERTS SERIES

Bartlett Arboretum in Belle Plaine continues its Sunday concerts through the summer and fall. Admission is $15 at the gate, and the music starts at 4 p.m. Attendees are free to pack picnics and explore the grounds when they arrive. Gates open at 3 p.m. The arboretum is at 301 N. Line St. in Belle Plaine.
                      • June 4: Logan Mize (country singer/songwriter)
                      • June 11: Robbie Fulks Band (alternative country)
                      • June 18: Dustin Arbuckle and the Damnations (Americana)
                      • June 25: Brave Combo (polka/rock)
                      • July 16: Mary Gauthier with Jaimee Harris (folk/country/Americana)
                      • Sept. 10: Driven (acoustic pickers)
                      • Sept. 24: Kelly Willis Band (country/Americana)

TWILIGHT TUNES ON THE TERRACE

Botanica at 701 Amidon continues its concert series, which happens from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. the last Tuesday of each month. Admission is $10 for Botanica members, $6 for premier members and $12 for nonmembers, and all tickets must be pre-purchased at botanica.org. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., when cocktails, beer, wine and non-alcoholic beverages will be for sale. Molinio’s Mexican Cuisine will sell dinner on-site. People can pack picnics, but no outside alcohol is allowed.
                      • June 27: Llew Brown Band (rock, country, pop covers)
                      • July 25: The Echos (‘80s music)
                      • Aug. 22: Jared Brown and the Dirt Road Misfits (country, blues, classic rock)
                      • Sept. 25: Lucky People (pop songs from the ‘80s until now)
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• AOL - Wichita drivers, your commute at I-135, I-235 north interchange is about to get smoother

Drivers headed into the North Junction will have a smoother commute when a long-awaited flyover ramp opens this week.

The northbound I-135 flyover ramp to southbound I-235 is slated to open Wednesday. A ribbon cutting is set for 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, with the flyover opening to traffic sometime after the ceremony.

Until now, traffic has crowded into a single-lane loop ramp to move from northbound I-135 to southbound I-235. That loop often is congested during weekday peak hours, Kansas Department of Transportation spokesperson Tom Hein said.
                        Wish it were today. This means I have to deal with the loop drivers for one more morning.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I've been looking for a review of Asian Night and finally found one. I did see one of the news sites had something, but the print aspect of their coverage told you nothing, but there did appear to be video that I couldn't listen to so I ignored it. But of course, our good friend Eddy has us taken care of.

Wichita by EB - Reaction to the 2023 Asian Night Market at Riverfront Stadium

The next two days, I looked at the feedback and reaction to the market. People were generally very happy with the move to Riverfront Stadium.

Two of the biggest criticisms of the Asian Night Market came down to parking and long lines. It’s a couple of things I’m not sure will ever be sufficient to satisfy patrons. With the number of people who attend these events, there’s just not a venue in town that’s outside and can accommodate everyone’s parking needs and hatred of walking. As for the lines, unless tickets are limited, crowds and lines are a party of any event. The lines at the Asian Night Market were a testament to the popularity of Asian food and culture in Wichita. It was such a cool thing to see.

If there were no lines, then that may spell doom for future events.

All in all, I had an absolute blast. I arrived an hour early and was able to visit 40+ different booths and rack up a large food bill. My favorite dish I had was the Khao Soi Chicken from a booth called The Thai-Thai Booth by Apple Snook. I wish I took a picture of the dish, but it is featured in the video at the end of this blog. I need to find them online somehow.
                          I'll never understand Wichitan's complaints about not being able to park within 100 feet of their destination. I've been to Riverfront and Intrust and never had to walk more than a couple of blocks tops. Shorter walks than I remember having in the giant parking lot at the Cow Palace or most Royals or Chiefs games I've been to.

I do get there's a comfort of parking at the venue, but those large places with larger parking lots don't really save you walking distance compared to what you can pretty easily access for free near both the stadium and arena. I hate paying for parking and generally don't. I'll walk a little further if I have to, but generally I don't. Or not so much as to be a noticeable difference and a pain in the ass.

But back to the event, it sounds like it went very well and I hope that I can find a way to make it out next year. I do love some Asian food and culture. I'm hoping to find an estimated attendance number at some point, or I guess since there were tickets they should know. I'll post that if I find it. Last year they estimated around 10K people were there and I hope this year was just as good.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Eagle - Another real estate sign is coming to Hartman Arena, but new owner isn't flipping it

“We’re going to be developing the area around the building.”

The arena is on just over 31 acres, and there are almost 13 acres left to develop.

Robertson said the idea is to “grow what the arena could be.”

That includes the space between the frontage road and I-135, which likely will include some restaurants. There are three pad sites along the interstate.
                            Park City could look quite a bit different in 10 years. Lots of plans going on there and developing around the arena makes sense.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Not going to lie, I didn't realize Riverfest was about to start until I read this piece on KAKE. It was apparently published yesterday but I didn't see it then.

KAKE - Wichita Riverfest a few days away, tents already setup in Downtown

Wichita Riverfest is three days away. If you've noticed, part of the road by Main and Douglas is already blocked off and there are tents set up.

“This is the biggest party Wichita throws every year,” said Jen Remsberg, Director of Marketing and Communications for Riverfest.

Wichita's yearly party is just a few days away. People are gearing up and excited to see RiverFest 2023.

“I'm always excited to see what's going on, the food, the people, just good vibes,” said Wichita resident Tiayla Maholmes.

“There's so many different activities. There are something for everyone. We love the concerts, the food, and all of the people-watching that you do,” said Cindy Marion, a Wichita resident.

Right now, it's the calm before the storm. Riverfest is expected to kick off Friday morning with the Admirals Breakfast before the opening ceremony just before Noon. There are some new things this year, but you can expect to see many familiar things like fireworks and the parade.
                              There could be some parking issues because Hamilton is also running during part of this.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• The zoo has lost a legend.

KSN - A Sedgwick County Zoo favorite for 50 years has died

One of the most iconic animals at the Sedgwick County Zoo died Tuesday. Pudgie, a hippopotamus, had ongoing health issues, and her advanced age made it harder for her to get around.

The keepers and veterinarians at the zoo spent several years trying to keep her comfortable. But she recently took a downturn.

“It became clear that her pain was too difficult to manage,” the zoo said. “The very tough decision was made to compassionately and humanely euthanize her in order to prevent any suffering.”

Sweetie Pie and Pudgie (Courtesy Sedgwick County Zoo)

Pudgie was born in 1972 at Houston Zoo. She arrived in Wichita in 1973, joining SCZ’s other hippo, Sweetie Pie.

Keepers will devote extra time to Sweetie Pie since she will no longer have Pudgie to interact with.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X