General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    Pretty sure I shared the basic news on this a few weeks back, but the following link has renderings of what the project should look like when finished. This appears to be a good addition to downtown.

WBJ - Check out new renderings of downtown Wichita's latest mixed-use project [IMAGES]
    These are the same people that have done a lot of the multi-family development on 17th Street North across from the WSU Campus. Looks like Dave Murfin and George Laham, a couple of local deep pockets, are also investors in the development.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 20, 2023, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• No more challenges from Sikorsky, finalizes win for Wichita.

WBJ - Report: Sikorsky-Boeing cedes FLRAA to Textron's Bell

Following the denial of a defense contract protest, a manufacturing team seeking work that will have significant impact in Wichita through the winning contractor is said to no longer be considering contesting the deal.

According to a report from Breaking Defense, the Sikorsky unit of Lockheed Martin Corp. (NYSE: LMT) and the Boeing Co. (NYSE: BA) will not pursue a lawsuit over the U.S. Army’s Future Long-Range Assault Aircraft competition.

That would have been the partners’ next recourse if were to seek blocking the contract award to the Bell unit of Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT).

The decision follows a win in the massive competition by Bell late last year that was officially protested by Sikorsky-Boeing — a protest that was denied earlier this month by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

A Sikorsky spokesperson said in a statement to Breaking Defense that, while disappointed in the GAO decision, it won’t pursue legal action, though adding that the company believed its Defiant X helicopter remained the right choice for the program.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• A new apartment complex going up next to The Alley

WBJ - Dirt moving on Plazzio apartment complex in northeast Wichita

Construction has begun on a prominent northeast Wichita dining, shopping and entertainment center's first residential development.

Plazzio Place Apartments is set to be a three-story, 40-unit apartment complex within the Plazzio near the southeast corner of 13th and Greenwich.

"Aesthetically, it's going to really complement the Plazzio development and will kind of jive with the existing buildings," said Tim Farha, owner of Point Guard Management, which is managing construction and the leasing at the property. "It'll provide a good residential presence over in that area, which is kind of lacking."

Farha said construction is anticipated to wrap in 2024. Earlier this month, a new commercial building permit with a valuation of $1.3 million was issued for the effort, according to city-county records.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Exploration Place planning cleanup for Earth Day, other events.

KSN - Earth Day in Wichita: Plogging, river cleanup, and more

On Saturday, April 22, the grand opening of Exploration Gallery Place will happen at noon. It is in collaboration with Harvester Arts. The Exploration Park playground overlooking the Arkansas River will be reimagined as a gallery space. The gallery will be available to view throughout the summer, including games and other activities provided by Harvester Arts from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursdays, 3 to 6 p.m. Fridays, and 1 to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.

Other events include:
          • Parkrun and Litter Pickup —Meet at 8 a.m. on Festival Plaza at the museum for a park run that includes a new global movement that originated in Sweden called “plogging.” Participants will pick up litter as they jog. The park run is a free, fun and family-friendly weekly 5K.
          • Kansas: An Immersive Dome Experience — Enjoy free screenings all day long of Exploration Place’s movie that serves as a love letter to Kansas. Screenings are hourly, starting at 10:30 a.m. As a bonus, moviegoers will also see “Energy Makes Our World,” a five-minute short before the 25-minute main feature.
          • Volunteer River Cleanup — Help beautify the Arkansas River. Volunteers and Exploration Place staff will spruce up the riverfront from 9 a.m. to noon.
          • High Five for the Future — With the guidance of Harvester Arts from noon to 5 p.m. at the new Exploration Gallery Place, visitors can contribute to a collaborative mural that imagines the future of STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and the sustainability of our planet.

For more information about the activities, click here.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Bring your pup to the Wichita Wind Surge game Saturday

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — You can bring your pup to “Bark in the Park” at the Wichita Wind Surge game at 2:05 p.m. Saturday, April 29.

“We are Paws-itive your four-legged friend is going to have a ball!” Wichita Wind Surge says.

The Wichita Wind Surge says only one dog is allowed per adult.
            I've always thought that this could be fun, but I also don't do a good job of keeping track of my vax records and wouldn't want to harass my vet to get them so I can take my dog. Though if you're more organized than me it's no big deal.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - These 4 projects in Sedgwick County will receive $11M in state grant money

• City of Bel Aire: $4,716,225 for Sunflower Commerce Park sewer infrastructure
              • Exploration Place: $3 million for Destination Playscape
              • Hutton Corp.: $2 million for Maize Industrial Park
              • Groover Labs: $1,150,554 for CyberLink infrastructure expansion

According to the application, several national companies had recently toured sites within Bel Aire, and all five indicated the lack of water and wastewater mains prevented them from moving forward with site selection.

"Our goal was to get all that — there's a total of about 400 acres that are still developable over there — and to get all those shovel ready, which is a major economic development advantage for the state and for the area," Lasher said.

That possibility is much closer to a reality now that Integra Technologies and up to five suppliers are expected to locate along the K-254 corridor in Bel Aire, depending on whether Integra receives national funding support.

"This is just the start of our needed improvements because what we're hearing is that the chances of suppliers coming are pretty high," Lasher said of the BASE grant.

Phase 2 will be a $17-million project to build an outdoor Destination Playscape to the south of Exploration Place. With the addition of the BASE grant, $7.6 million has been committed to the effort, with a completion planned in 2025.

"The best way I can sort of express what we're trying to do is it's making a true tourism destination out of a playground," Smith said.

He compared the playscape concept to the hugely popular Gathering Place in Tulsa — a new generation of playground that has a theme park feel.

The Wichita-based Hutton received $2 million from the state to support expansion at Maize Industrial Park, which is near 53rd and 119th and includes facilities for Reiloy USA, Evans Building Co., Shuttle Aerospace and other businesses.

“We are excited to support the continued economic growth in our region by expanding the tremendously successful Maize Industrial Park," Hutton CEO Ben Hutton said in an emailed statement to the WBJ. "With rail access, ample utilities, and proximity to K-96, the park is an excellent location for the many companies considering relocating or expanding their operations to south-central Kansas.”

Groover Labs co-founder Tracy Hoover said the $1 million BASE grant is "very much appreciated."

She said a portion of the funding will go toward a build-out of Knowmadics' office space within the facility. The Virginia-based cybersecurity and software company plans to open a Cyber Center of Excellence at Groover Labs; they've been operating in the building through a temporary office membership.

"They came here and thought that Groover Labs would be a great location for them, and we happen to have 5,000 square feet on the second floor... that we had not done anything with,” Hoover said. “So we’ve been talking with them about renovating that and making that their office here at Groover Labs.”
              Also of note, Exploration Place Phase 1 project is the Amphitheater along the river which is already funded. Construction is set to begin this year and finish sometime in 2024. Adam Smith has been a wonderful hire for Expo Place and Wichita in general.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another major addition to ICT21

WBJ - ICT21 Industrial District adds global company as latest tenant

Grant Glasgow, NAI Martens president and leasing broker for the district, and Morgan Koon, who is a part of the ICT21 development group, confirmed to the WBJ that CNH Industrial has leased the entirety of one of the park's 180,000-square-foot warehouses.

CNH Industrial (NYSE: CNHI) — whose brand portfolio includes Case IH, Case Construction, New Holland Agriculture and New Holland Construction — took the completed space in February.

It's unclear the number of employees CNH plans to hire for the facility; the company couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

Financial terms of the lease were undisclosed.
                Also of note in the article, JTM Foods is expected to begin production by September 1, as their space is being finished up.

The third and final building at ICT21, another 180k sqft facility, is expected to be completed by June and they expect to have that space filled in short order.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Go Wichita!

AOL - Where's one of the best places to own a pet? Wichita, Kansas, and here's why

According to the report, Wichita is one of the most affordable cities in the U.S. to own a pet. With a score of 91.46 out of 100, Wichita ranked the No. 4 best place for pet owners, right above Cincinnati and right below Nashville.

The rankings were done by measuring the cost of veterinarian visits, spay/neuter surgeries, vaccinations, the amount of pet stores, vet clinics and more.

Overall, Wichita was ranked the second best city for dog and cat veterinary costs.
                  Here are Forbes’ 10 best cities for pet owners:
                  • Tucson, Ariz.
                  • Raleigh, N.C.
                  • Nashville, Tenn.
                  • Wichita, Kansas
                  • Cincinnati, Ohio
                  • Plano, Texas
                  • Albuquerque, N.M.
                  • Kansas City, Mo.
                  • Louisville, Ky.
                  • Glendale, Ariz.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Love's coming to Wichita?

KSN - Love's seeks rezoning to build a truck stop in north Wichita

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Love’s Travel Stops is seeking rezoning from the City of Wichita for land near 21st Street and Interstate 135 to build a new truck stop.

The proposed site is west of the I-135 on land that was once the site of the Derby Refinery. The proposed truck stop would include:
                    • Filling station for automobiles and semi-trucks;
                    • Semi-truck repair and wash;
                    • Restaurant with drive-thru;
                    • Convenience store;
                    • Electric vehicle (EV) charging station;
                    • Recreational vehicle (RV) hookups for overnight parking (recreational vehicle campground);
                    • Dog exercise area.

The land is currently zoned as LI Limited Industrial District and GI General Industrial District. Under that zoning, everything in the proposal could be built without rezoning, with the exception of the RV overnight parking, the electric vehicle charging station, and some of the signs for the travel stop.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      I know no one is a fan of a truck stop in the middle of town, but the fact that SOMEBODY finally wants to build something in that area is fantastic.

Comment

• I probably mentioned this before, but one of my favorite football podcasts features former OU O lineman Gabe Ikard. Played in the NFL a bit. Gabe married Tom and Judy Love's grand-daughter. Gabe is no dummy. The Love's started with one store on a 5K business loan and they each are billionaires #Chaching Tom Love just recently passed away RIP.

Comment

• A lot of info from ASM on CII.

KSN - Century II update shows tough decisions could be ahead

I don't even know what to quote for this one. There's a lot here. Instead, I'm just going to list the sections of discussion on it.

Scheduling Conflicts
                          Benefits for Tenants
                          Too Many Discounts, Not Enough Rent
                          City Council May Have to Change Policy
                          Which Events Bring in Money?
                          New Facility Fee
                          $5 to Park
                          The Roof and Other Century II Projects
                          What ASM has Learned and Done
                          What is Century II Missing?

We still need a dedicated Performing Arts Center.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

I know no one is a fan of a truck stop in the middle of town, but the fact that SOMEBODY finally wants to build something in that area is fantastic.
                            It’s really not in the middle of town and Wichita does not have a true truck stop. It’s a great use of that property.

what they really need up there also is a Waffle House.
                            An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Why Wichita still doesn't have a Waffle House or five baffles me.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

It’s really not in the middle of town and Wichita does not have a true truck stop. It’s a great use of that property.

what they really need up there also is a Waffle House.
                                Agree, the lack of a major truck stop in Wichita has always baffled me. McPherson, Salina, Hutchinson all have major truck stops… and of course a plethora of “lot lizards”.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X