No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN - Plan calls for Wichita to spend $31 million paving dirt roads over the next 10 years

Oct. 18—The city of Wichita will spend $1 million paving dirt roads around schools in 2023.

The City Council on Tuesday approved year one of a 10-year capital improvement plan to fund $31 million of paving projects near schools and in disadvantaged neighborhoods.

Public Works and Utilities Director Alan King said 160 of the 5,100 lane miles managed by his department are dirt roads.

"We have these islands within the city, within neighborhoods, of unpaved roads," King told council members. "The historical approach to this has been to have petitions circulated and then the cost of those streets are borne by the people on that street."

That petition process can be contentious and cumbersome, Plainview Neighborhood Association President Chauncey Kemp told The Eagle in June. Several years ago, he organized a petition asking the city to lay new asphalt and gravel in Planeview cul-de-sacs.

"They came out to a meeting and told us that they could do that but in order for them to do that cost-effective, we would have to put our property on a levy at eight grand — I think it was $8,600 bucks, each piece of property at $8,600 bucks in order for them to do it," Kemp said.

King said the 10-year city paving initiative will remove those barriers for neighborhoods that have been unable or unwilling to bear the cost of modernizing roads. Each year of the plan will have to be approved by the City Council.
    I didn't realize that Wichita still had some dirt roads. Guessing they're mostly on the south side, since I spend very little time over there.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      MSN - Plan calls for Wichita to spend $31 million paving dirt roads over the next 10 years

I didn't realize that Wichita still had some dirt roads. Guessing they're mostly on the south side, since I spend very little time over there.
      Love me some "dirt roads"... turn it up!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• KHS is at capacity again.

MSN - Kansas Humane Society at full capacity, hosting $25 adoption event

The Subaru Loves Pets Adoption Event is from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 22, at the KHS, 3313 N. Hillside St.

Adult dogs six months and older and kittens 11 months and older will have a $25 adoption fee.

Adoption fees cover spay/neuter surgery, microchip and age-appropriate vaccinations for each pet.

There will be no holds or dog-to-dog introductions on event days. The event excludes puppies and high-profile pets.

To view adoptable animals at the KHS and learn more about the adoption process, click here.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm no fan of NuWay. It seems to be a place you either love or hate. I haven't had it in at least 25 years
          My Dad & Mom went there on date, maybe even their 1st. That my be the reason I love it. Like the sandwich, love the root beer

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post

My Dad & Mom went there on date, maybe even their 1st. That my be the reason I love it. Like the sandwich, love the root beer
            Not fond of their chili, but everything else is scrumdiddlyumptious…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Those onion rings! While I don’t like the sandwiches, those onion rings are the best!

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Try the chili with the vinegar. Root beer is great though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                  Any updates on the Riverfront Legacy Masterplan?
                  Last legit update I read was about 30 months ago indicating a wait until Covid was under control.

An RFI has gone out for the old central library.
                  The Riverfront Legacy master plan is a joke as are those pretending to be working on it.
                  Underwhelming, slow to develop, confused, lack of leadership, little to no communication. Come on Wichita. Grow up and be inspirational!

Comment

• I once went to the same church as the NuWay owner. Nice guy!
                    78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                      I once went to the same church as the NuWay owner. Nice guy!
                      Maybe they can put a huge Nuway in the old downtown library. That would be brutalist.

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
                        love the root beer
                        DING DING DING! It's the root beer!

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
                          NuWay? Is that the pre-chewed hamburger place? My wife, a Wichita native, told me I had to try it. I tried it. Definitely not my thing.
                          Sucks to be you.

Although I will say their overall product has gone downhill. Did they outsource their chili? I haven’t been there in a while because of it.

I think the original location probably holds up to the test still.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Sucks to be you.

Although I will say their overall product has gone downhill. Did they outsource their chili? I haven’t been there in a while because of it.

I think the original location probably holds up to the test still.
                            This is the chili that Nu-Way uses. Owned and manufactured in Wichita since 1925. I don’t know if NuWay owns it or not.

Comment

• WBJ - Sandbox in Derby anticipates opening by the end of the year

Sandbox, a two-story restaurant in Derby with a sports and events area opening by the end of the year, has something for everybody to enjoy. And no, it isn’t just another Chicken and Pickle.

“I think there was definitely a need in Derby, to have some sort of entertainment center that we are offering, as well as a vendor space or an event space, like we're offering as well,” Shaynna Brown, lead event coordinator, said. “So there was definitely a need here so people from Derby didn't have to travel into Wichita, or any further for any type of entertainment needs.”

Foodies will feel right at home with a full bar and restaurant. There will also be a rooftop deck with a full bar, outdoor fireplaces, and TVs viewable from everywhere in the restaurant.

In their sports area, eight sand volleyball courts and six pickleball courts will be available to use year round. There will be outdoor courts through early spring to November, and then will be under a 65,000 square-foot dome from November until the end of March.

For those with a competitive spirit, leagues for cornhole, pickleball and sand volleyball will be available.

Sandbox, at 2412 N. Rock Road, will also have an event center with over 72,000 square feet of usable event space for anything from small private dinners, corporate dinners, or wedding receptions. It will be the largest event space available in Derby.
                              Hope that this works out for Derby. I'm a big fan of them trying to do more and offer more independence from Wichita itself. That's how you increase quality of life in an area and help yourself grow.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• The Garvey Center doing what it can to stay relevant and attractive now and in the future.

WBJ - Longtime staple of ICT skyline positions for the future of work

Over the last year, multiple commercial tenants have taken — and revamped — space in the mixed-use, multi-building property on Douglas Avenue.

In March, Knowledge as a Service Inc. (KaaS) moved into 5,530 square feet in the center's Page Court building.

KaaS co-founder Robert Feeney, Bonavia Properties CEO Nick Bonavia and longtime Garvey Center manager Larry Weber clicked, Feeney said, when it came to the potential for KaaS' headquarters and the Garvey Center overall.

"They were particularly flexible and accommodating with us because we had a shared vision," said Feeney, whose startup technology company previously worked out of Groover Labs.

That meant an office featuring open space, collaboration areas and windows throughout that double as whiteboards filled with ideas — Feeney's favorite feature.
                                Sounds like some of the new renovations are catching the eyes of others and increased tours and interest have been a result. Though there's also a stat in the article that says the Garvey Center is at 97% occupancy for commercial and 99% for residential.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X