General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

What trend is this continuing? Strip malls?
    The garage condo trend. This will be the fifth in the area over the last few years I believe.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

The garage condo trend. This will be the fifth in the area over the last few years I believe.
      Why are they called condos if you can't live in them?

I'll have to look into the other 4. Just seems odd to me.

Comment

• I’m sure they’re building them in most medium to large markets across the country. I’ve seen several complexes in the KC area… probably not for the average Joe; they’re quite costly.

Storage Condos are typically used to store cars (collector type vehicles), recreational vehicles, boats, etc… mostly high end luxury toys… a place to have a dick measuring contest. Most I’ve seen have a loft where the owner or renter (most offer either option) can have a personal office or mancave (he-shed or she-shed) and restroom. They're not for overnight stays, but I’m sure occupants stay overnight in some cases. Too much partying or the Mrs. sends them to the shed. Of course in today’s world, the Mr. (Mrs.) might send the other Mr. (Mrs.) to the shed.

The Cornejo boys (Ron and Marty) either own or rent a couple of large storage condos on the east side. Might be one that Steve Clark’s involved in also. Some complexes have a common space or clubhouse for larger dick measuring contests. I kid, I kid! :)

The ROI on the concept looks pretty solid and there seems to be high demand.
        Last edited by WstateU; November 26, 2023, 11:57 PM.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Some of them are actually affordable if you want to go that route. I know a lot of people have talked about turning them into luxury man caves where they can host large watch parties and such.

I want to say there's one out by Maize/NW Wichita that I believe is in an expansion phase, or approaching one. There's one in east Wichita and one just outside of Andover. Seems like there might be another one on the west side to go along with the planned one in Maize. They're apparently doing pretty well. Some, you rent and those can get pretty costly. Others you can essentially buy and while not cheap, the smaller ones aren't crazy expensive. There are also a number of safety features to keep things locked up and limit entries onto the property.

It's kind of a cool concept for those that need it, or want to have a fun space. I do believe there are some small businesses that have found using these for storage and some working is a cost benefit compared to some other more traditional options.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This is pretty cool

WBJ - A PIECE OF NASA'S NEXT SUPERSONIC JET - The Lockheed Martin aircraft testing low-boom noise effects has several Wichita-made components

Several aerospace companies in Wichita have been a part of a NASA mission by sending rockets into space. By the end of the year, three Wichita-area businesses will be represented in the first flight of NASA's Quesst mission, having a supersonic plane travel three times the speed of sound, without making much of a boom.

The project helps underscore Wichita's role in the multi-billion dollar next generation of supersonic aircraft.

True Blue Power, a subsidiary of Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics, The McGinty Machine Co. and D-J Engineering are contributing components to the X-59 supersonic jet that is being manufactured by Lockheed Martin.

These three Kansas manufacturers are the only companies from the Sunflower State contributing to the jet. But there are more local connections. The chief engineer in charge of the Quesst mission is a Kansas native, and the supersonic jet may travel over Wichita in its first voyage over an urban center.
            Some interesting things of note from the article.

KDOT has an agreement with the FAA for a Kansas Supersonic Transportation Corridor going east to west and includes all of Wichita. Planes would be allowed to fly up to Mach 3 over the city.

The X-59 would produce a decibel level of 75 or less, which is apparently less than hearing a car door slam from 20 feet or a bouncing basketball.

First flight should be sometime next year over the Mohave Desert.

There's no guarantee that a future test flight will include Wichita, but those flying over city tests should take place in late '25 or early '26.

If this works it will be a potential game changer when it comes to commercial flights as the prohibition of flying supersonic over land would be eliminated. If they can still make it work economically it has the potential to be massive for the aviation industry as well as travelers.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More Heartland Flyer talk.

KSN - Bringing Amtrak back to Wichita - KDOT wants input

KDOT, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, and the Texas Department of Transportation are interested in extending the Heartland Flyer daily passenger rail service from Oklahoma City to Newton, where it would connect with the Southwest Chief national route.

The Heartland Flyer currently provides service between Ft. Worth and Oklahoma City. The Southwest Chief offers daily roundtrip service between Chicago and Los Angeles.

If transportation experts decide it is feasible, the extended Heartland Flyer route would add stops in Wichita and Arkansas City in Kansas. It would also add stops in Ponca City, Perry, Guthrie, and Edmond, Oklahoma.

KDOT sees Amtrak as a transportation solution for persons with college students, senior citizens, people with disabilities, and low-income residents.

A spokesperson said that in a recent study, nearly 50% of college students in the Midwest said they would use Amtrak to get home on breaks if Amtrak was available.
              With the growth of students from the I-35 corridor in Oklahoma and Texas this could be of value to a number of students. It could also be an option for Shocker fans that head down to Ft. Worth for the AAC tournament.

Friends of Passenger Rail Oklahoma posted a message on Facebook Sunday saying that the Oklahoma Department of Transportation has turned the public input process over to KDOT.

ODOT says it is still working with KDOT and Texas on the project, but KDOT is the lead agency and is where public input should be directed.

KDOT confirmed that it wants public input. It has an online form you can fill out regarding KDOT Passenger Rail.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Why are they called condos if you can't live in them?

I'll have to look into the other 4. Just seems odd to me.
                A condominium is a form of legal ownership, not necessarily a style or a type of construction. With condos you typically own the interior of whatever unit you hold the deed to, plus a proportional share of the condo development as a whole (i.e.: 1/48th all land and improvements, for example). Then the condo association assessments handle maintenance of grounds and exteriors. So, anywho, the condo model is used for things other than actual residences.

#TheMoreYouDidn’tCareToKnow

Garage condos have been around in our market for a long time, but just more recently took off in greater number. The first of them I recall was built many years ago (maybe 90’s?) over to the south of Sports World on Webb north of Central. Most people don’t even notice that it’s there behind the golf shop and the little strip center.

They are a ridiculous price to pay instead of just moving somewhere with a large lot or acreage and just building an outbuilding. The $/SF for the garage condos is bonkers. Before I moved I rented and kept all my crap in a 14x45 storage unit at $340/mo, which is a far cry from any payment on one of these garage condos. No bathroom or HVAC, but I did have electric.
                Last edited by SHOCKvalue; November 28, 2023, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Mentioned in the WSU growth thread, I'm putting it here as well in case someone misses it.

WBJ - Wichita might soon get its first internet exchange point to boost broadband service

Made possible in part by a state grant, Wichita might soon get its own internet exchange point, or IXP, allowing networks to exchange data traffic.

The hub, which will be the first IXP in Kansas, is expected to be built at Wichita State University to improve internet performance, including reliability, speed and affordability, for the campus and surrounding community.

If the Kansas Board of Regents approves the location, the IXP will be built on WSU property on a vacant lot at the northwest corner of East 21st Street North and Fountain Avenue, directly across from Eck Stadium, according to a news release from WSU.

Gov. Laura Kelly announced Wednesday that $28.5 million in grants were awarded to 12 organizations throughout the state for internet connectivity, including a $5-million grant to fund the construction of the IXP at WSU.

Connected Nation Internet Exchange Points, a joint venture between the Kentucky-based nonprofit Connected Nation and Hunter Newby, will own the venue.

Connected Nation plans to provide space and services for WSU to establish a free network in the facility for 40 years, the university said.

"A connected community is a stronger community," said WSU President Rick Muma in a release. "A carrier-neutral IXP located in the heart of Kansas at Wichita State will build bridges of connectivity and access to meet the ever-evolving demands of education and commerce to all Kansans.”
                  In one of the articles I've read on this today, I believe it was someone at NetApp that mentioned they believe something like this not only gives advantages to local businesses due to better connectivity and speeds, but that it will also help attract people to the region so that they can enjoy the same perks and advantages this will provide.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Uptown Landing's Phase 2 set to welcome apartment tenants later this week

A prominent College Hill development's luxury apartment expansion, several years in the making, is now ready for residents.

Uptown Landing's 125-unit second phase will have its first tenants move in on Friday, developer Mike Brand said.

The three-story, U-shaped complex — located just north of the development's first building at Douglas and Rutan Street — is the latest high-profile project delivering Class A apartments in Wichita.

Brand, managing partner of the development, said leasing demand has been strong for Phase 2.

"We are quite surprised with how well we're doing," he said.

The second phase's apartment mix is about 70% two-bedroom units, 12 three-bedroom apartments and the rest are one-bedroom residences, Brand said.
                    Unlike Uptown Landing's first phase, there is no ground-floor commercial space in the new building.

But there's a wealth of amenities. Those include the central courtyard's 80-foot exterior pool, two pickleball courts and firepits.

On the inside's first level, there's an exercise room, tanning room and large clubhouse with a dual-sided fireplace, multiple TVs and coffee bar, among other features. A sizable community room can also be used by residents for birthday parties and other events.

There are also lounge areas on the second and third levels for residents, with the second floor including a pool table.

"No. 1, people love amenities," said Brand on what he sees as an attraction of Class A developments.

Brand and Lisa Hicks of Key Management, which is leading Uptown Landing's apartment leasing, said Phase 2's underground, heated parking garage — which also has a dog wash — is another stand-out feature.
                    This looks like another nice addition to the city. I drive by this place fairly often as my therapist is in the area and it looks nice from the outside and the slideshow in the link makes the inside look pretty nice too.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Mentioned in the WSU growth thread, I'm putting it here as well in case someone misses it.

WBJ - Wichita might soon get its first internet exchange point to boost broadband service

In one of the articles I've read on this today, I believe it was someone at NetApp that mentioned they believe something like this not only gives advantages to local businesses due to better connectivity and speeds, but that it will also help attract people to the region so that they can enjoy the same perks and advantages this will provide.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Professional football (kind of) coming to Wichita this spring.

KSN - New women's tackle football team coming to Wichita

A new women’s tackle football team coming to Wichita this spring.
                        The “Wichita Knights” will be a part of the National Women’s Football League.

Other teams in the NWFL include the Kansas City Rush, based out of Shawnee, Kansas, and the River City River Rats, based out of the Omaha/Council Bluffs area in Nebraska.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Plum hair league.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• WBJ - Frist Kansas Global Holiday Market to launch next weekend in Wichita

A new event set for next weekend at Riverfront Stadium aims to put the diversity of Kansas and Wichita on display — with organizers saying they hope it showcases the area as welcoming to businesses and talent across the globe.

The inaugural Kansas Global Holiday Market runs from 4 to 9 p.m. on Dec. 8, with gates also open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Dec. 9 and noon to 6 p.m. on Dec. 10.

More than 40 countries will be represented through food, vendors and performances.

Laura Lombard, the event's planning chair, said visitors won't be able to miss the wide range of cultures.

"I think that might — all in one place — be quite shocking in a good way," she said.

The holiday market is the brainchild of Lombard, who is now director of the international division for the Kansas Department of Commerce, who said that in her professional travels over the years she had been impressed by holiday events in New York, Chicago and Europe.

As the Air Capital and the state compete for talent and businesses, she thought a similar showcase locally would be a great fit.

"(A) company wants to know that their locals coming into Kansas are going to be welcomed and they're going to be able to find accessibility to cultural restaurants and communities that are going to make their life here easier for them," said Lombard, who had previously been president and CEO of Kansas Global Services before starting with Commerce in September. "So as we're trying to recruit companies into Wichita and into Kansas, generally, the more we can show that we are a welcoming, diverse community, the more that these companies are going to look at us compared to other places."

The international presence next weekend will include a delegation with ties to the home Canadian province of Bombardier, which has U.S. headquarters in Wichita.

Bombardier and a delegation from Québec's government office in Chicago are partnering on a left-field lounge that will have children's activities and alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages for adults.

Lombard said Québec's involvement is an example of what she hopes the event can become.

"The hope is in future years to leverage this event to bring in more government and artisan groups from across the world," said Lombard, adding that delegations of artisans from China and Mexico will also be attending. "It's an event, and it's fun. But there's a lot of broader good that can come out of this from a business standpoint, from a reputational standpoint."
                            I like that Wichita and Kansas are looking for ways to promote both and the diversity that can be found here and showcase that to those outside the market in hopes of drawing more business.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Local and state news in this one.

WBJ - Coming and going: State-to-state migration in and out of Kansas

Kansas appears to be winning the migration battle over its neighboring state to the east.

The trend has major implications on the demands for housing, jobs and infrastructure.

Between 2021 and 2022, Kansas recorded a larger net gain of residents than Missouri, about 3,250 more people, according to new data from the U.S. Census Bureau. Overall, Kansas welcomed 94,200 new residents over that year, but 84,500 people also moved away.

About half of the state's new residents came from the following five states that year:
                              • Missouri: 22,333
                              • Texas: 8,257
                              • Oklahoma: 7,440
                              • Florida: 5,111
                              • California: 3,387
                              Kansas' losses, though, were to the following five states:
                              • Missouri: 20,905
                              • Texas: 7,767
                              • Colorado: 7,359
                              • Oklahoma: 6,466
                              • California: 5,520
                              From a metro perspective, Wichita recently ranked as the seventh-most affordable among the nation's 100 largest metros. According to a Business Journals analysis of Bureau of Economic Analysis’ Regional Price Parity Index data, Wichita topped all regional peers on the list, including Little Rock (No. 12), Tulsa (13), Oklahoma City (16), Fayetteville (21), Omaha (25) and Kansas City (27).

And among Gen Z — a growing segment of the homebuying market — Wichita also topped Kansas City, Mo. in a ranking of the 70 most attainable cities for Gen Z homeownership. Wichita was No. 1 on the ranking from home improvement website Today's Homeowner.

In terms of job growth, the Kansas workforce grew by nearly 1.8% year-over-year in October, which outpaces Missouri's 1.5% growth during the same timeframe, according to data from the Census Bureau. It's worth noting that Missouri calculations include the entire Kansas City metro, including the Missouri and Kansas sides.
                              Really curious what things will look like should both microchip plants get built and when the Panasonic plant is up and running. There will surely be those from outside the state needed to fill jobs and those jobs could create quite a bit more that will need filled as well. Then there's the downtown medical facility and such. Really curious as to how things will look around 2030.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - 'Redefining aviation': Wichita's Textron eAviation at the forefront of electric aircraft

Textron expects U.S. certification of one of its planes, the Pipistrel Velis Electro, by the end of this year or early next year.

"It's this new evolution that hasn't happened since probably the jet age, where you have these types of technologies that really redefine aviation and make an impact," said Tony LaCorte, director of external affairs for Textron eAviation. "We're redefining aviation."

The company has two electric aircraft lines — the Slovenian-produced Pipistrel and the Wichita-based eVTOL (electric vertical takeoff and landing) Nexus. After creating the eAviation division in 2021, Textron moved an air taxi program started by Bell to Wichita, as well.

Textron (NYSE: TXT) bought Pipistrel, the pioneer of electric planes, in April 2022 for approximately $241 million. Pipistrel designed and manufactured the world’s first certified electric aircraft — the Velis Electro, a two-seat training plane.
                                Apparently the USAF has there eyes on this as well.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X