General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita by EB - The Sandbox at Derby is officially open

After months of waiting, The Sandbox at Derby is officially open to the public as of today.

Located at 2412 N. Rock Road in Derby, the much anticipated 11.2 acre facility will be one of the biggest entertainment attractions just south of Wichita.

While there is outdoor entertainment, The Sandbox also features eight sand volleyball courts, five outdoor and four indoor pickleball courts, cornhole area and yard games. This will all be covered by a soon to be open 65,000 sq foot dome during the winter months to allow year around play.

The bar and grill side, though, is now open. Their hours will be Monday through Saturday 11am to 1:30am and Sunday 9am to midnight. Brunch will be available from 9am to Noon.
    Eddy doesn't have a review yet, but he does have their menu available in the link above. It looks like a solid menu and is using Yoder Meats.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Park City making some moves.

WBJ - Wichita's Lange Real Estate will develop 48-acre 'downtown' Park City

Lange Real Estate said Wednesday it will partner with Park City to develop a sprawling mixed-use development that city officials say will serve as a vibrant city center on 48 acres of city-owned land near the southeast corner of 61st Street and Hydraulic Avenue.

Called Park Centre, the project includes initial plans for a central park, a 416-unit apartment complex, an 89-unit townhome complex, and 96,000 square feet of commercial space available for lease.

Construction is expected to begin in June on the multifamily phases, which have an anticipated completion in 2024.

"We identified the area as ready and in place for what we feel like is exponential growth," said Rachel Lange-Mills, who is supervising broker at Lange Real Estate.
      I like seeing metro communities looking to grow and enhance themselves. It just makes the Wichita metro a more attractive place as a whole. It will be interesting to see how this takes shape over the next couple of years.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Park City making some moves.

WBJ - Wichita's Lange Real Estate will develop 48-acre 'downtown' Park City

I like seeing metro communities looking to grow and enhance themselves. It just makes the Wichita metro a more attractive place as a whole. It will be interesting to see how this takes shape over the next couple of years.
        Im going to moan about a development even knowing that I am not invested in it. But...these multifamily places always seem to be duplexes and they are ALWAYS the same floorplan nowadays with concrete floors, no basement, etc. Literally a medium sized apartment with a garage at crazy high prices.

Comment

• There will be some duplexes, mostly apartments. The business/retail side of this is what I like the most. I don't frequent Park City, really I only go there for Twister City HD, but trying to add a "city center" that can bring character and maybe even a central area to gather and develop and grow around is a good thing in my opinion. Park City also has the potential to grow due to a few growing/new businesses that have made a home there. I know Valley Center is trying to capitalize a bit on the growth of Park City on the residential side as well.

We'll have to wait and see what the finished product looks like, but there is something special about a small town that has a downtown area. That's what they're hoping to help create and I like it.

I get what you're saying though, and I'm sure Park City still has something to say about how it all comes together. I know my own hometown has had talks with developers who won't commit to a certain quality but "promise" they'll do it and the city refuses to commit until they have some level of standards they're comfortable moving forward with. They want to grow, but they want to do it right. We'll see if PC will do the same or just allow whatever to go up. I get the feeling they really want this to be a big deal though and I'm not sure they'll allow it to be too cheaply done.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Harlem Globetrotters coming to Wichita in 2023 World Tour

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — The Harlem Globetrotters are coming to Wichita during their 2023 World Tour.

The Harlem Globetrotters will play the Washington Generals at 3 p.m. on Sunday, April 2, at INTRUST Bank Arena, 500 E Waterman St.
            Your favorite Globetrotter stars are bringing out their amazing basketball skill, outrageous athleticism and a non-stop LOL good time.
            INTRUST Bank Arena

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 19.
            I know as a kid I always loved getting to go see the Globetrotters when they came to Wichita. Haven't seen them in years, but I'm assuming it's still a pretty big deal for the kids.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KAKE - City of Wichita and League 42 to build additional baseball field at McAdams park

WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) - The city of Wichita and League 42 Chairman Bob Lutz have announced that they will renovate space in McAdams park to clear space for another field.

League 42, a youth baseball program for children ages 5 through 14, was created to allow urban children to play baseball.

The league has said that they have nearly 600 kids registered, so the additional field will give more of them the chance to participate.
              I'm no fan of the Lutz family, but I fully support League 42 and its quest. Getting another field to allow more games and participation isn't a bad thing.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita set to benefit from Air India deal (rumored) with Boeing

WBJ - Air India's rumored order said to include 190 MAXes from Boeing

More details have emerged on an expected Air India order, with both U.S. and Indian media reports pointing to a deal that will include 190 737 MAXes and 30 787 Dreamliners from Boeing.

According to a report from Reuters, the order will also include a slightly larger number of A320 and A350 jets from Boeing’s (NYSE: BA) European rival, Airbus. Altogether, the orders are expected to be worth over $100 billion at list prices.

The airline came back under control of multinational investor Tata Group earlier this year after being nationalized several years ago and announced its merger with Vistara, a joint venture between Tata and Singapore Airlines. The Tata Group has reportedly committed $75 million to $100 million to Air India's budget subsidiary Air India Express over the coming years.

Up to 50 of the MAX aircraft will be delivered from Boeing’s inventory of 737s built up during the 20-month global grounding of the bestselling jet that followed deadly crashes in 2018 and 2019. Boeing ended September with 270 Max jets in inventory.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Much needed housing apparently in the works for the metro.

WBJ - Builder advances large 'attainable housing' efforts in Wichita area

Gilbert said Liberty Communities has 13 projects — at various stages of planning and development — that could bring more than 1,000 single-family homes within the $210,000 to $270,000 range to the south-central Kansas market.

"I sought an avenue to address something that's needed," said Gilbert, who calls the homes "attainable housing."

In late 2021, Kansas released the Kansas Housing Needs Assessment, which highlighted adding or freeing up middle-income housing supply as one of its takeaway goals.

While Sedgwick County's 1.3 months' supply of homes is already considered tight, the supply for some middle-income ranges is even lower. According to November's South Central Kansas MLS active listings data, 0.5 months' supply exists for homes in the $200,000-249,999 range.

Gilbert, who also owns Artistic Builders, said Liberty Communities is striving to deliver 1,200-1,400 single-family homes and 300-400 duplexes in the next few years.
                  Sounds like he's got things in the works for Wichita, Bel Aire, Mulvane, Derby, Garden Plain, Haysville, Newton and Valley Center.

Someone needs to get him in contact with Benton lol.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A lot of office space is about to open up in northeast Wichita (37th and Rock).

WBJ - Thorn Building owner optimistic about finding Ascension replacement

The Thorn Building owner voiced optimism about the property's future in an interview with the WBJ late Tuesday, as he discussed the upcoming departure of Ascension Via Christi that will open up more than 100,000 square feet of office space near 37th and Rock Road in northeast Wichita.

McNabb said renovations since he purchased the property in 2019 (including adding amenities such as pickleball), as well as his development plans for newly-acquired land near Thorn, should help his efforts. He said he has options for Ascension's portion of the two-building Thorn complex.

"That building can be kept as a single tenant or can be divided into multiple tenants," he said.

In addition to Ascension, Integra Technologies also plans to leave in 2023. Medova Healthcare remains a Thorn tenant.
                    Google shows Integra having office space at Northrock Business Park closer to 96.

I understand Ascension has a lot of people now working from home and those that aren't will relocate to office space in or near the hospitals.

If McNabb can accomplish what he wants with the land recently purchased in the area, it could make the newly freed space a little more attractive to potential tenants. Would love to see a major player move in and take up the space being vacated by Ascension, but odds are it'll be a number of smaller entities that will have to do it.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• MSN - Zoo, Illuminations at Botanica to close this week ahead of frigid weather conditions

Dec. 21—The bitter cold expected later this week is causing closure for two popular outdoor attractions in Wichita.

The Sedgwick County Zoo and Illuminations at Botanica both announced Tuesday that they will be closed Thursday and Friday.

Both places cite the dangerously low temperatures and below-zero wind chills that are forecast to move into Wichita on Wednesday night.

The zoo closing will allow staff to keep animals safe and warm inside, according to a news release from the zoo.

The zoo plans to reopen with normal business hours on Saturday and be open for the holiday weekend, said Jennica King, director of strategic communication.

Illumination tickets purchased for either Thursday or Friday can be used for any other night Illuminations is open for the remainder of the season, said Jamee Ross, director of development.

The other nights are Dec. 20-21 and Dec. 26-31. There is no need to change reservations online, according to a Botanica news release.
                      FYI in case anyone had plans for either.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Ark City business expanding their scope for more business.

WBJ - Arkansas City aviation business eyes start of major new service

The aviation maintenance, repair and overhaul business is planning an early-2023 start to new work dismantling used commercial aircraft engines to salvage workable components.

The company said the new project is in partnership with CFM Materials LP, and will result in components being reutilized for MRO work at General Electric Co. (NYSE: GE) and Safran overhaul shops worldwide.

That includes the GE facility near Jet AirWerks at Strother Field in Cowley County.

Engine-maker CFM International is a joint-venture between Safran and GE.

"It’s an exciting time at Jet AirWerks,” said CEO Keith Humphrey. “This project will be the largest single investment we’ve made in the company’s 15 years. It’s a great opportunity to overhaul more parts right as they come off of the engine, add some diversification to our business model, and create more jobs here in Ark City. I started my business here because of the technically skilled workforce and the region’s commitment to grow and maintain it. I’m just glad we get to be a part of it and there’s nothing better than creating a job for someone.”
                        Expected to grow employment by around 50%
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Eagle - Kansas approves $15 million to help build 50-bed state mental health hospital in Wichita

Kansas officials approved $15 million toward the construction of a new 50-bed mental health hospital in the Wichita region Wednesday.

The state finance council, consisting of Democratic Gov. Laura Kelly and legislative leaders from both parties, voted unanimously to allow the Kansas Department of Aging and Disability to begin using $15 million allocated in last year’s budget on the new hospital.

The potential hospital was the subject of an interim legislative committee this summer exploring solutions to Kansas’ need for additional mental health resources.

Kansas’ existing mental health hospitals, Larned State Hospital in western Kansas and Osawatomie State Hospital near the KC Metro, have been plagued by wait lists and understaffing.

“South central Kansas accounts for 50 percent of the people transported to Larned,” incoming Speaker of the House Dan Hawkins, a Wichita Republican, said last week at a Wichita Regional Chamber of Commerce event. “It doesn’t take long to figure out that we need a mental health facility here in Wichita.”
                          50 sounds a little small, and there are people trying to get it built to hold more than 50.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• If this new airline endeavor is successful, this could be a nice niche for Textron and a benefit for Wichita.

WBJ - Startup airline in Mexico launches with Textron Aviation order

The local Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) says that new carrier Aerus has ordered two Cessna SkyCourier and four Cessna Grand Caravan EX aircraft in anticipation of launching passenger service in the first quarter of 2023.

"A fleet of Cessna SkyCouriers and Cessna Grand Caravans will enable Aerus to be successful in growing service range and frequency of flights," Marcelo Moreira, vice president of sales for the Latin America region for Textron Aviation, said in a press release. "Both aircraft offer superior performance and low operating costs in combination with flexibility in cabin and payload."

The airline has already received its first three turboprop Caravans.

The SkyCourier, meanwhile, will be delivered in its 19-seat passenger configuration.

That turboprop entered service earlier this year, with first delivery going to launch customer FedEx in May. The SkyCourier is built in both a cargo and passenger variant.

Aerus, which is part of conglomerate Grupo Herrera, will be based in Monterey, Mexico, and plans to fly underserved national and international routes.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Devastating news from our zoo.

KWCH - Kucheza, baby chimp, dies at Sedgwick County Zoo

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) –The Sedgwick County Zoo released the following statement Thursday morning.

Friends, our hearts are broken today. It is with the greatest sadness that we have to announce the sudden and unexpected passing of Kucheza, 5-week-old Chimpanzee.

Keepers found Kucheza deceased, and cradled in his mother Mahale’s arms, when they arrived at the Zoo this morning.

Mahale is not quite ready to part with him, but when our team is able, a full medical assessment will be done to determine the cause of death.

Mahale’s love for Kucheza was and will continue to be felt by billions of people around the world.

In his few short weeks of life, Kucheza brought joy and light to so many, and sparked an opportunity to educate the world about chimpanzees, the dangers they face in the wild, and most importantly - why we should care.

We’ll continue to share these messages and inspire respect and conservation for Kucheza’s wild counterparts in his honor.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Free! Wichita Art Museum no longer charges general admission

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — The Wichita Art Museum has stopped charging general admission to visitors. Entry is now free for the galleries that showcase the museum’s permanent collection.

General admission used to cost $10 for adults, $5 for seniors 55 and older, and $3 for students.

“The museum’s founder, Louise Caldwell Murdock, wanted Wichita to have an art museum, and her will established the collection of art by American painters and sculptors as a gift to the city,” Anne Kraybill, WAM director and CEO, said in a news release. “We want everyone to have access to this incredible collection every day the museum is open.”
                                They'll still charge adults for special exhibits, but WAM is essentially free for all now.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X