No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a story I didn't expect to come across, but it's also West High so it is what it is. No offense meant to any West graduates we may have on board. They just haven't really been a pillar of excellence on any sporting field for as long as I can remember.

KSN - Brother-sister start together on West High's football team

Working together to be the best offensive line they can be.

“I know his tendencies better than anyone else,” added Druzzla. “There’s like an unspoken chemistry, so like we are just more in sync than everybody else.”

Coach Rosenstiel agreed, “They usually correct each other really fast, which as a coach is what you want.”

Druzzla and Chance are both coming off injuries, so this season marks the first time they get to play side by side.
    I'm not opposed to capable girls playing football should they choose. I just never imagined that we'd see one starting on an offensive line at one of the larger class of schools. Best of luck to the young lady.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Wichita's warehouse incentive may attract another speculative investment in southwest Wichita.

WBJ - Overland Park firm will tap city's spec program for Ironhorse project

On Tuesday, Wichita's City Council will vote whether to approve a letter of intent authorizing the use of up to $17.5 million in industrial revenue bonds for a 200,000-square-foot spec warehouse planned for vacant land near the southwest corner of MacArthur Road and Seneca Street, according to an agenda report for the upcoming meeting.
      The request is in relation to the city's spec warehouse program, which provides property tax incentives to developers who might otherwise prefer to have a building pre-leased prior to construction to reduce risk — addressing what many in the commercial real estate industry say is the ongoing need for existing industrial space in Wichita.

"Wichita currently has very little modern industrial space on the market for lease, which in turn acts as a hindrance for economic growth," Daniel Schulte, Aspen Funds' managing director and COO, wrote in the company's IRB application to the city. "Many national companies looking for space for their products and employees simply pass Wichita over as they are unwilling or unable to wait the time required for a facility to be planned and built."

The spec program requires developers to build at least 100,000 square feet of industrial space with a ceiling height of 28 feet. To be eligible for the program, construction must also begin within 120 days of City Council approval and must finish within 15 months after approval.
      I believe this is the same program that was used for the new ICT21 Industrial Park that just landed the dessert company out of Pennsylvania.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This might interest some. They have a breakdown of 30 cities in the metro area with data on house price changes over the past year, five years and what they call typical home value, which I believe is the median value of homes and not the average. They also breakdown where these cities fall in most expensive within the metro in regards to housing. As one might expect, Eastborough in the most expensive and Andover is 3rd. Andale surprised me at #2 and Benton surprised me at #10.

KSN - Cities with the fastest growing home prices in Wichita metro area

It goes without saying that the coronavirus pandemic has sparked a wave of uncertainty across myriad industries, and not other market has quite felt its impact like that of real estate.

The pandemic has become a driving force behind the continued real estate boom, with high demand for vacation homes and a limited supply of housing that has prompted buyers and investors to bid up prices for affordable properties, causing home prices to skyrocket. The ability to work remotely played a role in the vacation home demand in mid-2020, as affluent Americans opted to ride out the pandemic with more amenities and space outside dense urban areas.

Stacker compiled a list of cities with the fastest-growing home prices in Wichita, KS metro area using data from Zillow. Cities are ranked by 1-year price change as of August 2022. The typical home value in the United States increased over the last year by +14.1% to $356,054. Data was available for 53 cities and towns in Wichita.
        There are towns not included in this data, for some reason unknown to me, like El Dorado and Augusta and Hutch. There are a number of smaller towns, some of which you would think of and others you may not. But I found it kind of interesting to see some of the data. I'm not familiar with some of these towns, in regards to housing, or in some cases anything, but it's still interesting to see.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Pratt Industries' new Park City plant is 'largest and most technically advanced' in U.S.

Operational since March, the facility totals nearly 1 million square feet and represents a total investment of $200 million, state officials say.

The plant, located at 5700 N. Hydraulic, converts raw paper materials into 100% recycled corrugated sheets and boxes for customers such as Amazon, Proctor & Gamble, the U.S. Postal Service, Coleman and Johnson Controls, as well as Envision, Inc., based out of Wichita.

"Many of these customers we've had for many years," said the Park City facility's general manager Dustin Karber. "It's been a lot of steady customers and it's just great to continue to grow with those customers as they grow."

Headquartered in Conyers, Ga., Pratt is considered the fifth largest corrugated box manufacturer in the U.S.

Pratt Industries' new Park City plant added 58 new jobs, bringing total employment in the area to about 300 people.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Kansas home prices are still high, but what's next?

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Whether you are in the market for a new home or trying to sell a home, a new report has information that could help you decide what to do. The 2023 Kansas Housing Markets Forecast says Kansas home values will end 2022 up 12.3% and then rise by another 5.4% next year.

The Wichita State University (WSU) Center for Real Estate released the 2023 forecast Wednesday. Stan Longhofer, director of the center, will present the finding at a state realtors conference on Thursday.

“Home price appreciation is slowing, but the supply of homes available for sale remains near historic lows,” he said. “Although bidding wars may not be as intense as they were earlier this year, it will continue to be a sellers’ market across most of the state.”
            As someone who put buying a house on hold and chose to just pay off my student loans instead, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Sometimes I think I should have just kept paying down the student loans and kept the bulk of my savings for a down payment on a home. Hindsight...

Personally, I'm still probably a couple of years away from pulling the trigger. But lack of availability may still be a problem. I do know of the last two years there were homes I saw that intrigued me, but they were sold before I had a chance to even visit. It has been crazy how fast they were selling, and I wasn't about to get into a bidding war with anyone. I'm not that desperate for a new place.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A lost tradition

KSN - Delano St. Patrick's Day parade organizers discontinue event

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Organizers of the Delano St. Patrick’s Day parade announced on Tuesday, Oct. 4, that they have made the decision not to continue with it.

“It is with a heavy heart that, moving forward, we have made the decision not to continue with the Delano St. Patrick’s Day Parade,” said parade organizer Cameron Lawrence.

The event was Wichita’s only St. Patrick’s Day parade.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                KSN - Kansas home prices are still high, but what's next?

As someone who put buying a house on hold and chose to just pay off my student loans instead, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Sometimes I think I should have just kept paying down the student loans and kept the bulk of my savings for a down payment on a home. Hindsight...

Personally, I'm still probably a couple of years away from pulling the trigger. But lack of availability may still be a problem. I do know of the last two years there were homes I saw that intrigued me, but they were sold before I had a chance to even visit. It has been crazy how fast they were selling, and I wasn't about to get into a bidding war with anyone. I'm not that desperate for a new place.
                You should've bought. Even with the seller's market craziness, you can't pass up rates in the twos that we will possibly never see again in our lifetimes. Don't need much down either. FHA is 3.5% and there are conventional programs at 3% down. First time home buyer incentives make those amounts even smaller.

Comment

• I wasn't in a hurry and I wasn't going to fight or rush to a decision so it wasn't meant to be. As for the down payment, for me, that's all about keeping the monthly payments in a range I like. I pick a range that I would be comfortable with and go from there. And being that I currently own my home, there would be no first time buyer incentives for me.

At this point, I'm probably a couple of years away. I have a few requirements for a home for me to pull the trigger and getting them all has been difficult anyway. There are also certain areas I won't consider which has eliminated a number of homes. I'm just going to sit back and save up more over the next few years and reevaluate then. Though I still get friends sending me links to houses near them.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Economic forecast calls for Wichita to lead Kansas in job growth in 2023

According to a forecast released Thursday morning in conjunction with the Kansas Economic Outlook Conference, held at Century II by the Center for Economic Development and Business Research at Wichita State University, the Wichita metropolitan statistical area is expected to add 3,185 jobs next year.

That would translate to an increase of 1.1% year over year.

It also compares to a 0.7% increase statewide, according to the forecast, which also sets a lower bound of 0.3% growth for Wichita against a statistically flat year for Kansas.

All of that is set against the backdrop of a possible recession, the chances for which CEDBR Director Jeremy Hill put at greater than 70%.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I've been out of town on vacation and have missed a lot. Time to play catch up as work is slow today.

WBJ - Wesley seeks rezoning for new rehabilitation hospital in east Wichita

Approval will require 6 of 7 Council votes because the case received eight protest petitions from nearby property owners, according to an agenda report ahead of Tuesday's meeting.

Details for the plans are sparse; Wesley didn't immediately respond to questions about the project, but it appears the new location could be a replacement for the Wesley Rehabilitation Hospital, an affiliate of Encompass Health, that closed earlier this year on West 13th Street.

"We will have nice facilities for this and believe it will be a positive impact for the community as a whole and additional health-care coverage which is much needed in today's landscape," said Ian Anderson of Catalyst Design Group, a Nashville-based civil engineering firm, on behalf of Wesley during a Metropolitan Area Planning Commission meeting on Sept. 15.
                      According to public documents, Wesley proposes to build a one-story rehabilitation center with 41 beds, with the option to expand to two stories and 82 beds, but the maximum building height will be 35 feet. The facility will have 72 parking spaces, with driveway access off of Vassar and Holyoke.

The former Wichita Children's Home at 810 N. Holyoke and a tennis court have already been demolished to make room for the development. Those properties are already appropriately zoned for the project.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Speaking of Wesley why the hell is the construction on Hillside in front of it taking so long?

Comment

• WBJ - These 5 projects are reshaping downtown Wichita - even south of Douglas

150 N. Main

Description: The 10-story, former Commerce Bank building is expected to get new life with luxury apartments and a "fashionable co-working space," with potential for some retail. Initial plans outlined in public documents include a rooftop pool and patio, a dog park, large fitness center, in-unit washer and dryers, modern finishes, new plumbing and HVAC systems. There could be up to 152 apartment units — 33 studios, 105 one-bedrooms and 14 two-bedrooms — on floors 2 through 10, with co-working space on the main floor. It's expected to be a $21.3 million investment.

105 S. Emporia

Keycentrix New Headquarters

Description: Vacant since 2018, the former Legacy Antique Mall building at Douglas and Emporia will get a major refresh as the office headquarters for two local technology companies, Keycentrix and Net-Ability, which will relocate downtown from northeast Wichita. The remaining 2,700 square feet will be available for lease. The renovation is targeted to complete in summer 2023.

124 S. Broadway

Description: A renovation is nearing completion at the old Henry's department store building at the northeast corner of Broadway and William Street. Expected to open this fall, the National Institute of Culinary and Hospitality Education will be WSU Tech's new 45,000 square-foot culinary and hospitality school. The completed project will have maximum occupancy of 600 students, with a demonstration kitchen, a rooftop outdoor kitchen and event center, and an open-to-the-public food hall with student-run restaurants.

123 S. Market

Description: A multi-million dollar renovation effort is expected to begin this month transforming the office building at the northwest corner of Market and William, vacant since King of Freight moved out in 2019. Plans are for the first and second floors to include 14 to 18 apartments. Local coffee roaster Nameless Coffee Co. and ICT Creative Group are lined up as tenants, and a multi-floor shared workspace called Kingdom Collective will be available to faith-based nonprofits. It will be a $5.7 million investment.

303 S. Broadway: Wichita Community Foundation

Description: Wichita Community Foundation's move into a 3,200-square-foot space on the first floor of the Broadway Autopark will bring a new use to the building, located at the southwest corner of Broadway and English. The reimagined parking garage has 44 apartment units on the upper levels, but the Wichita Community Foundation, one of the city's largest nonprofits, will be a new addition by early next year.
                          Just a few of the downtown projects reshaping and bringing life to downtown.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                            Speaking of Wesley why the hell is the construction on Hillside in front of it taking so long?
                            I'm not sure off the top of my head, but is that related to the children's hospital addition/upgrades?
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Textron Aviation announces large Wichita expansion project

Textron Aviation will add 180,000 square feet to its parts distribution center in Wichita, as the Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company works to meet aftermarket demand.

The company announced Monday at the National Business Aviation Association convention in Orlando that work on the facility will begin in the fourth quarter.

“We are continuing to invest in growth across the company,” Textron Aviation CEO Ron Draper told the WBJ in a pre-NBAA media briefing.

While the company expects the expansion to open around the end of 2023, Draper said it will be completed “as fast as we can do it.”

The local growth is being driven by increased flight activity among Textron Aviation’s Cessna and Beechcraft products.
                              Expected to be completed by the end of 2023, but sounds like they hope to complete it as soon as possible. No word on how many more jobs may come from this.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - The Overland Park firm taking over Ironhorse development has Wichita ties

"I understand the strength of that area, I understand the manufacturing base in that area," Schulte said, "... so it made sense to go in there and finish it out."

Aspen Funds has purchased the remaining vacant tracts of land within the park and, as reported by the WBJ last month, will break ground on an initial 200,000 square-foot speculative industrial warehouse before the end of the year and finish construction in summer 2023. Schulte said the plan is to follow that up with a second building along Seneca — a 140,000 to 150,000 square-foot build-to-suit warehouse.

Already, pet product manufacturer Cosmic Pet occupies about 303,500 square feet within Ironhorse.

"It was initially designed for six 100,000 square-foot buildings with additional space off Seneca," Schulte said of Ironhorse. "What we decided to do was take the majority of the remaining land and build what we consider to fill a void with a 200,000-square-foot building, and that leaves us room to do build-to-suit on Seneca."
                                While Wichita has so far been passed over for major, econony-changing megaprojects — such as Panasonic's battery plant headed to De Soto — Peterson said smaller-scale deals attracted to industrial parks such as Ironhorse are setting the stage.

"I believe that Wichita has tremendous value and advantage when you stack it up against other cities because of the availability of labor, the great highway access, and the relatively inexpensive costs to do business," Peterson said, "and that story needs to be told over and over again and the more you do that the more likely you are to attract that kind of project. ... You have to take baby steps to get there."
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X