No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just saw that the Wind Surge schedule for next year has been released. The NBC will definitely not be at Riverfront in '23. The NBC is usually the last week of July/beginning of August right? The Surge will be home for that stretch.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      TSO coming to Wichita earlier than usual, with a November 17th performance scheduled for Intrust Bank Arena.

Blabbermouth - TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA Announces 2022 Tour, 'The Ghosts Of Christmas Eve - The Best Of TSO And More'

I've seen TSO multiple times, both at the Cow Palace and IBA. They do put on an entertaining show with a lot of production. Still one of my favorites to see live.
      When I saw this I found out they are in Atlanta after Thanksgiving and bought a couple of tickets $220 each. Hefty for my budget, but looking forward to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post

When I saw this I found out they are in Atlanta after Thanksgiving and bought a couple of tickets $220 each. Hefty for my budget, but looking forward to it.
        Have you seen them before? It's been a few years for me, but I've always loved their take on some classical pieces and the stories they've put together, along with the music, is well done.

I also like that, at least in the past, they've done their story based show and then finished with what's essentially their greatest hits.

If it weren't for my damned anxiety, I'd be tempted to purchase a ticket and go solo.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Have you seen them before? It's been a few years for me, but I've always loved their take on some classical pieces and the stories they've put together, along with the music, is well done.

I also like that, at least in the past, they've done their story based show and then finished with what's essentially their greatest hits.

If it weren't for my damned anxiety, I'd be tempted to purchase a ticket and go solo.
          Never been, loved their Christmas album

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post

Never been, loved their Christmas album
            I want your thoughts after you go.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I want your thoughts after you go.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

100% agree. Living in San Diego and with the amazing zoo we have here, I make sure to tell people about the SC Zoo whenever I can. It is phenomenal for the size of Wichita.
                I went to the San Diego Zoo about 10 years ago and came away thinking if this is the best zoo in the country the Wichita zoo is not far behind. If you factor in the value based on ticket price, the Wichita zoo is a clear winner.

San Diego had plenty of other things Wichita doesn't though; La Jolla cove, the weather, scenery, etc.
                Last edited by Ta Town Shocker; September 1, 2022, 11:18 PM.
                Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• WBJ - List analysis: Wichita's industrial market not cooling down, brokerages say

And it's not just industrial that's looking up.

Evidence of that sector momentum could be seen last week, as the ICT21 industrial district landed its first tenant, Pennsylvania-based JTM Foods, for a 195,000-square-foot facility set for completion in 2023.

The national industrial market is showing signs of cooling from its torrid pandemic pace, as Amazon — one of the biggest consumers of warehouse space in the U.S. — announced earlier in the year it would be pulling back.

But Cushman & Wakefield recently found tenant demand to be up 30% on an annual basis, and local firms gave multiple reasons why interest in metro area industrial space remains high from companies looking for options inside the U.S.

Landmark Commercial Real Estate president Kevin Dreiling said the city is "very well located" for continued industrial opportunities.
                  "Restaurants — especially with drive-thrus — have been easy to fill," he said. "QSR (quick-service restaurant) and fast casual concepts have continued to purchase ground and expand quickly."

Weigand highlighted retail and restaurant momentum, as well, with "a definite uptick" particularly in the Class A sector.

For commercial activity, overall — in addition to rapidly-growing areas on N. Greenwich Road (from 21st to 37th Street) in northeast Wichita and N. Maize Road (from 29th to 45th Street) in northwest Wichita — Saville noted several other hotspots, including Derby and N. Ridge Road.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - SETTING THE TONE: Wichita's new medical school welcomes first class of students

Years in the making, the new DO school is now a reality. For now, KansasCOM has about 82 faculty and support staff, but as the years progress the school says it will hire more as class sizes eventually increase to 170 students.

Besides a few minor technology glitches, interim dean and chief academic officer David Ninan said the opening has gone smoothly so far.

"There's a little bit of learning on both sides, but a little bit of an opportunity to impact how things will go going forward," Ninan said. "I think it'd be pretty exciting to see this place in three years, five years."
                    KansasCOM is already recruiting for its next class. Ninan said the school has received around 2,800 applications so far for the 130 spots that will available starting in Fall 2023.
                    BY THE NUMBERS
                    • Number of students in the class of 2026: 91
                    • Number of students from Wichita area: 9
                    • Number of students from Kansas: 20
                    • Number of students anticipated for the class of 2027: 127
                    • Current number of faculty and staff: 82
                    • Number of preceptors identified so far who will supervise clinic rotations: 20 sites and 77 individual physicians approved to date
                    Lots of good information and personal stories from a couple of students, both being first generation Americans. One local, one from Alabama. But it sounds as though this school has everything it needs to succeed and has been blessed with an abundance of tech as well as community support from the medical field. There's obviously no shortage of applicants so that's always a positive.

Still going to be a number of years until we start seeing what kind of impact this school truly has as the medical profession has a ton of training, teaching and residency requirements. But I have little doubt this will absolutely be a positive as a whole and look forward to following its progress for years to come.

And we'll see if WSU is ever able to pull it into the system. One can dream.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• An interesting little place I wasn't the least bit familiar with. I may have to look into this place a little more.

AOL - A sleek new cocktail lounge has just been added in Delano, and it will have many uses

Odd Fellow Hall’s owners have just taken over an adjoining space directly north of the ballroom that previously held offices and transformed it into a swank lounge that offers seating for 50 to 60 people, said Cody Lonergan, who along with Jimmy Vo manages the venue at 930 W. Douglas.

The room, which has a full bar, leather sofas and chairs, and the same big windows as the main ballroom, is called Rebekah’s Lounge at Odd Fellow Hall. The name is a reference to The Daughters of Rebekah, which was the female counterpart group to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The building the venue occupies was built as a home for Wichita’s West Side Odd Fellows in 1911.

The new lounge, accessible to the ballroom through a set of doors, will serve many purposes, Lonergan said. It will increase the venue’s capacity enough that it will be able to host 200- to 300-person events, and it will allow couples who want to host separate pre-wedding cocktail hours a place to do that.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

I went to the San Diego Zoo about 10 years ago and came away thinking if this is the best zoo in the country the Wichita zoo is not far behind. If you factor in the value based on ticket price, the Wichita zoo is a clear winner.

San Diego had plenty of other things Wichita doesn't though; La Jolla cove, the weather, scenery, etc.
                        Did you go to just the zoo or also the safari park up north? Safari Park is actually a better experience in my opinon. They have added a bunch in the last ten years also including the new kids zoo and Africa Rocks. I agree though that with the size of Wichita the zoo is second to none.

Comment

• WBJ - 'Extensive' renovations could be coming to downtown Wichita building

A new era for the former Sterling building at the northwest corner of William and Market appears to be coming.

Kingdom Investment I, LLC has purchased the 26,242 square-foot building at 123 S. Market — also previously used by King of Freight — and has plans for "extensive interior and exterior improvements to the building," according to an agenda report for Tuesday's Wichita City Council meeting.

The report says the estimated total investment by Wichita-based Kingdom, including the acquisition and renovation, will be $5.7 million. Nathan Vander Griend, president and CEO of Wichita's PROtect LLC, is the managing member and resident agent for Kingdom.

Vander Griend confirmed plans are for a mixed-use (apartments, office and retail) development at the location but had no further comment.
                          I've heard from others that this building has been in dire straights since King of Freight left. It will be nice to see new life brought back to it.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

WBJ - 'Extensive' renovations could be coming to downtown Wichita building

I've heard from others that this building has been in dire straights since King of Freight left. It will be nice to see new life brought back to it.
                            What happened to king of freight?

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

What happened to king of freight?
                              They’re back up and running in the Gander.
                              Last edited by shocktown; September 3, 2022, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Did you go to just the zoo or also the safari park up north? Safari Park is actually a better experience in my opinon. They have added a bunch in the last ten years also including the new kids zoo and Africa Rocks. I agree though that with the size of Wichita the zoo is second to none.
                                I didn't go to the safari park. I thought I may have been missing something at the time. Overall we had a great trip though.
                                Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Working...
                                X