No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas tech conference is off and running.

WBJ - Inaugural summit highlights Kansas' strength, potential in tech

"If I could ask one thing of each of you, it would be to be loud," said Rodriguez, chairman of FlagshipKansas.tech, the locally-based technology council which put on the event. "It's time for us to get louder. It's time for us to take every opportunity to update the picture of Kansas, one that doesn't confuse our humility for a lack of ingenuity, a lack of will or a lack of opportunity."

In remarks in front of around 150 attendees from across the state — including educators and those in business — Rodriguez said Kansas and its cities "have a branding problem" in spite of a skilled workforce and gifted teachers within its education system.

The conference, featuring the tagline "connecting industry and education," sought to help with that issue through engagement and practical sessions in an entertaining environment.

“Some investors say you can’t succeed in Kansas — that’s ridiculous," Rodriguez said. "If we want tech businesses and entrepreneurs to choose Kansas, then we have to change how we talk about Kansas.”
    I'd love to see Wichita pick up a few more wins in this area. Having a strong tech industry can really help change some of the perception about this area and help reel in more business and better jobs.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• KSN - Monster Jam coming back to Wichita

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Monster Jam is coming back to Wichita.

On Saturday, Feb. 25, 2023, and Sunday, Feb. 26, Monster Jam will be coming to INTRUST Bank Arena.

On Saturday, performances will be at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. On Sunday, the performance is at 1 p.m.

Doors to the event will open one hour prior.

Ticket prices start at $15 and go on sale Sept. 20 at 10 a.m. on selectaseat.com.
      Not really my scene these days, but it is a popular event.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        KSN - Monster Jam coming back to Wichita

Not really my scene these days, but it is a popular event.
        I'll admit if I lived in a major market where they do these at the NFL stadiums I'd 100% be down. In the small hockey/basketball arenas they are kind of silly.

Comment

• Wichita by EB - What's Happening This Week in Wichita (Sept 13-18)

As always, there are more than I share. I just share ones I think might be the most interesting to everyone, but I'm probably wrong about it.

Blooms, Brews & Bloody Marys | September 15
          Where:
          Botanica
          Get ready to kick back and enjoy the finer things in life! Stroll our beautiful gardens, and taste Bloody Marys and small bites from local restaurants. Local bars duke it out for the best Bloody Mary in town! Also, enjoy local beer from some of our favorite breweries in town. We will also have live music performances throughout the gardens to keep us all entertained.

Backstreet Boys: DNA World Tour | September 13
          Where: INTRUST Bank Arena
          Following the success of last summer’s sold-out North American tour, the Backstreet Boys are excited to announce a second North American tour. Produced by Live Nation, the extensive 45-date, three-month trek will see the group performing their impressive catalogue of award-winning hits in arenas and amphitheaters all over the U.S. and Canada

Kansas State Fair | September 13-18
          Where: Kansas State Fairgrounds
          Celebrate Kansas with the Kansas State Fair Sept. 9-18, 2022! The Kansas State Fair has been the state’s largest gathering of Kansans since 1913.

Disney Junior Live On Tour: Costume Palooza | September 14
          Where: Wichita Orpheum
          The Pollstar-nominated Disney Junior tour is back with an ALL-NEW show, Disney Junior Live On Tour: Costume Palooza! This show brings beloved Disney Junior characters and favorite Marvel Super Heroes together live on stage for a jam-packed, concert-style show with singing, dancing, acrobatics, and more. It will feature favorite songs from hit Disney Junior series, as well as new original music. Mickey, Minnie, and their pals are getting ready to throw a huge costume party but mysterious green rain, wind, and smoke keep interrupting the fun. Can Spidey and his Amazing Friends help save the Costume Palooza?

Autumn & Art Festival | September 16-18
          Where: Bradley Fair
          Come celebrate the creative spirit of our community at Kansas’ premier boutique alfresco fine art show.

Latinfest ICT | September 17
          Where: OldTown
          Latinfest isn’t just a festival… It’s an Experience!!! Join us for a day that celebrates the culture and traditions from Central/South America, Mexico and the Latin Caribbean There will be music, live dance and music performances, a variety of authentic cuisine and merchandise

Keith Urban: The Speed of Now World Tour | September 17
          Where: INTRUST Bank Arena
          Four-time Grammy Award winner Keith Urban has set Summer ’22 for the North American debut of his first world tour in four years, THE SPEED OF NOW WORLD TOUR. The tour’s newly announced North American leg, with 3x Grammy nominee Ingrid Andress, will add fifty shows to the previously announced concerts in Australia, Germany, Netherlands and the U.K.
          So Backstreet Boys might be more for you wives, or kids, depending on how old you are. Disney is obviously geared towards kids or grand-kids.

I love Autumn & Art at Bradley Fair. Been a few times. You see a lot of local and national artists and some of them have amazing talents. My friend from Infinity Art Glass usually has a spot there. You'll see glass blowers, painters, photographers. People who design jewelry or other handcrafted items. I've never been overly artistic, but I really do appreciate those that are and can make a living at it. I know I'm going to try and find my way out there this weekend.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This one may get political, but I hope we can keep the thread on track and not go down the rabbit hole. Especially because we have a thread dedicated to that rabbit hole on the political forum.

MSN - Wichita may decriminalize small-time marijuana possession under City Council proposal

On Tuesday, the City Council will vote on whether to decriminalize possession of less than 32 grams of marijuana in the city limits. If that passes, marijuana cases could no longer be filed in municipal court.

he change would not affect state and federal prohibitions on marijuana. Wichita police could still arrest people for marijuana possession or use it as a reason to search their property.

But any criminal charges would have to be filed by Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett, who told The Eagle his office doesn't have the capacity to take on the city's minor marijuana cases, or Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt, who typically does not prosecute local drug cases.
            "No one deserves a criminal record that follows them for their entire lives because they decided to use marijuana or THC products that are legal in every state that surrounds us," Whipple said.

According to the city, an average of 750 to 850 possession of marijuana cases are filed annually in Wichita Municipal Court. Whipple said those convictions make it harder for those people to find and keep jobs. Although the City Council can't change state law, Whipple said he hopes the police department will focus on solving more serious crimes than marijuana possession.

"The Wichita Police Department told (the City Council) that they're really not prioritizing single-use THC cases as a reason to bring people to court," Whipple said. "But they've been bringing two or three people a day to court, so we really want the actual practice to match what the voters have asked for and what some us thought was going on already."
            This move doesn't surprise me as voters in Wichita voted for this, or something similar, seven years ago. I expect the Council to pass it and then we'll see if the State tries to push back.

But really, it in theory will allow resources to be spent elsewhere on much more important criminal activities.

Though I will say that neither candidate for AG approve of this.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - 'The city believes in us': Keycentrix president talks vision for downtown office, growth plans

The move positions Keycentrix for growth from its current 80 employees. While Rodriguez did not give an employee growth target number, he said the move is aligned with anticipated expansion.

Rodriguez said Keycentrix is looking at buying companies to boost its impact beyond work with pharmacies.

”We have an acquisition strategy we’re vetting," he said, adding there will also likely be organic growth. "Nothing’s on the table for close yet. We’re eyeballing some acquisitions that will allow us to step broader into health care."

Rodriguez did not disclose specific software solutions or companies being evaluated.

"We think there are a lot of community-based health organizations and humble private practices that need better operational software and are currently being overcharged, and it’s contributing to the cost of health care," Rodriguez said.
              Sounds like they're going to put the space to good use. They're also looking at leasing space on street level. Could be a restaurant/coffee shop sort of thing that they believe could benefit and be supported by their employees, as well as the community.

I also like hearing them talk about expansion, which is one of the reasons they moved into this building as if offers more space than they currently need. Gotta love a local tech company making their mark. They talk of acquiring other companies to expand their place in the market and growing to other aspects of healthcare. I look forward to seeing what comes of this building and how the company grows in the future.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm not the least bit familiar with this car; as this is the first I've ever actually heard of it.

WBJ - Plans advancing for new Genesis dealership in east Wichita

The brand's first standalone dealership opened in Lafayette, La., earlier this year.

"It's been very exciting to be a part of figuring out this design and making it constructible," Huiras said.

This summer, J.D. Power named Genesis, owned by Hyundai Motor Group, its top premium brand in its 2022 U.S. Initial Quality Study.

Hatchett said that while Genesis vehicles have a higher price point, customers can be "swept away by the car you're getting for your money."

"We're really looking forward to launching the brand," he said.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

WBJ - New Carriage Park owners have new name, ambitious plans

I admit I'm not familiar with the area, but the claim of bringing a little Rock, Webb and Greenwich to the area seems a bit much, but we'll see.

Also in the article is that they've already lined up a Salon and a laundry company to come in and are working on another mattress company, coffee shop and fitness center.

Am I the only one that doesn't understand how there's such a huge mattress demand in town to support so many of those businesses?

Also, according to Google maps that I pulled up, there's already a mattress business there.
                  I don't understand all the mattress stores either. One just opened below our office in downtown Hutch. It probably indicates there's a gigantic retail markup, like with jewelry.

They're like those car washes with one in every neighborhood.

Comment

I'm not the least bit familiar with this car; as this is the first I've ever actually heard of it.

WBJ - Plans advancing for new Genesis dealership in east Wichita
                    Not a single car. A line of models making up a brand. Hyundai's been bringing it along for the better part of a decade now.

Genesis; Hyundai
                    Lexus; Toyota
                    Infinity; Nissan
                    Audi; Volkswagen
                    Acura; Honda

That sort of thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I don't understand all the mattress stores either. One just opened below our office in downtown Hutch. It probably indicates there's a gigantic retail markup, like with jewelry.

They're like those car washes with one in every neighborhood.
                      Money laundering...

Comment

• Derby Informer - Kansas front and center in new Exploration Place film

WICHITA – Exploration Place is getting set to premiere an immersive movie experience later this month, one that has been custom-made for the giant, 60-foot screen in its Dome Theater. Produced by a Wichita-based team over the last 18 months, “Kansas: An Immersive Dome Experience” will take viewers on an enthralling journey to more than 40 locations across the state.

The movie was filmed entirely by drone, allowing a unique perspective of the beautiful scenery and landmarks of the Sunflower State. In addition to majestic landscapes, wildlife, industry and agriculture, the presentation includes remarkable, never-before-seen drone footage of the tornado that struck Andover in April 2022.

“From the outset, our goal was to create a love letter to Kansas,” said Adam Smith, Exploration Place’s president and CEO, “something that makes local residents feel proud, while giving tourists a whole new perspective of the state. We feel that we have achieved the goal, in a unique experience that can only be fully appreciated in the immersive environment of our Dome Theater.”
                        I wouldn't mind checking this out. It's a 25 minute video shown in the dome and begins on Friday.
                        Last edited by SubGod22; September 14, 2022, 08:48 AM.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Wichita to host wheelchair basketball national championship

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Visit Wichita and the National Wheelchair Basketball Association are proud to announce that Wichita will be the location for adult and junior division portions of its 2023 National Championship Series.

The event will run from Friday, March 24 to Sunday, March 26 and from Friday, March 31 to Sunday, April 2 at Wichita Hoops located at 5620 Toler Drive in Bel Aire.
                          Apparently we've hosted this the past three years. It's projected to bring in 1100 athletes, coaches and officials and have an economic impact around $1.3M.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Motocross event in Wichita empowers veterans

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Hundreds of motocross racers are in Wichita to compete in a national championship this weekend. They will be joined by a couple hundred more racers competing in a state championship.

The first event involves more than 300 veterans from across the country who will compete in the Vet MX AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) National Championship. The other event is bringing in more than 250 civilian racers to compete in the Kansas AMA State Championship.

Bar 2 Bar MX is hosting both events at its track at 7800 W. 61st Street North, north of Wichita. The track hosted the veterans for the first Vet MX AMA National Championship last year.
                            A pretty cool event with a purpose behind it all. I used to love watching motocross back in the day and always wanted to try it.

This event may not be as big as some of the others we've been hosting, but it's still bringing more people into the area and putting money into the local economy. That's never a bad thing.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Riverfront has just announced two more HS football games.

KSN - 2 Wichita high school football games move to Riverfront Stadium

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Some Wichita high school football teams will get to play under the lights at Riverfront Stadium this year.

The Wichita Wind Surge announced Thursday that the baseball field will be converted to a football field for two local games:
                              • West High v. Northwest on Friday, Oct. 14 at 7 p.m.
                              • South High v. West High on Friday, Oct. 21 at 7 p.m.
                              “Wichita Public Schools is excited for our players, coaches, and fans to be able to experience two football games at the Riverfront Stadium this fall season,” Kaleb Stoppel, Wichita Public Schools district athletic director, said in a news release. “It is the hope that this is only the beginning, and all Wichita Public Schools’ football teams and fans can experience games at the Riverfront Stadium in the future.”
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Looks like we may see some changes between Maize and Colwich.

WBJ - Proposed zoning change advances for development west of Maize

Heath Marx, the contract buyer of the land located in unincorporated Sedgwick County, intends to develop around 56 acres into single-family residential, while the remaining acreage would be for commercial uses, according to a MAPC agenda packet.

"The SF-20 single-family residential district has a minimum lot area of 20,000 square feet," according to a MAPC staff report within the packet. "However, the applicant indicates they intend to develop one-to-two acre residential lots and a single commercial lot."

The land has not yet been platted, so the configuration of lots or the street network within the potential development are unknown, at this time.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X