No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been a fan of Envision since I first learned about them and their purpose. This sounds like a pretty cool exhibit and workshop by a pretty remarkable individual that I hope people check out this weekend.

WBJ - Blind painter brings internationally recognized artwork, workshop to Envision

On Friday from 5 to 9 p.m., Bramblitt's "Tactile Emotions" exhibit will be available for viewing during a free and public reception at the Envision Arts Gallery, 801 E. Douglas, Suite 106. During the function, musical artist Charlie Wilks, who is blind, will perform.

Bramblitt lost his vision in 2001 from complications with epilepsy and Lyme's disease. He taught himself to paint using raised lines to navigate the canvas and distinguishes colors by feeling the textures.

The Saturday workshop, from 10 to 11:30 a.m., includes painting where participants are blindfolded and given pre-mixed paints and canvas with raised lines. Registration is required for the workshop, which has a suggested donation of $10.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• TSO coming to Wichita earlier than usual, with a November 17th performance scheduled for Intrust Bank Arena.

Blabbermouth - TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA Announces 2022 Tour, 'The Ghosts Of Christmas Eve - The Best Of TSO And More'

Multi-platinum, progressive rock group TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA (TSO) today announced the dates for its highly anticipated 2022 winter tour, "The Ghosts Of Christmas Eve - The Best Of TSO And More".

After its first year off the road in more than two decades, TSO made a triumphant return to touring in 2021 with a 25th anniversary celebration of "Christmas Eve And Other Stories". For 2022, TSO brings a completely updated presentation of the unforgettable, multi-generational holiday tradition "The Ghosts Of Christmas Eve" to 60 cities across the nation. This year's tour kicks off on Wednesday, November 16 with performances in Green Bay and Council Bluffs, and will conclude after 101 shows on Friday, December 30 (see full itinerary below).
      I've seen TSO multiple times, both at the Cow Palace and IBA. They do put on an entertaining show with a lot of production. Still one of my favorites to see live.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• It’s a nice show. Having it a week before Thanksgiving pretty much blows.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I think I've made it clear by now that I'm an advocate for the Zoo. We truly are blessed with one of the best in the country and they're continually trying to improve it for both the animals and the guests.

Wichita by EB - The Sedgwick County Zoo's biggest fundraiser, Zoobilee, returns for a roaring good time

Wichita is blessed to have an outstanding attraction like the Sedgwick County Zoo. Constant upgrades, new things to do, and exciting additions have been taking place the last few years.

Of course, all of that isn’t cheap to do. That’s why they have an event like Zoobilee. Much of what you see when you stop by the zoo is made possible by the zoo’s signature fundraiser.

In past years (outside the virtual event year), Zoobilee has brought in $800,000 – $1,000,000 which has been a big portion of the annual operating budget. So, attendees of the event have played a big role in making much of what you see at the zoo possible.

This year, Zoobilee takes place on Saturday, September 10 from 6 p.m. to midnight and plans to be a Roaring Good Time. Tickets which can be purchased here run $150 per person until Wednesday when it goes up to $175 on September 1. All but $30 of the ticket price is tax deductible.

If you’ve never been to Zoobilee, guests to the event get to enjoy live music, drinks and delicious food from many local restaurants while roaming the zoo. Here’s the live music lineup for the 10th.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Ad Astra Technology Summit promises unique experience in Wichita

A statewide technology conference next month in Wichita is swinging for the fences.

The Ad Astra Technology Summit, being hosted by FlagshipKansas.tech, is slated for Sept. 12 — with organizers promising a daylong event intentionally designed to educate, inspire and impress.

“It’s really hitting on all key points of our mission,” says Amanda Duncan, a board member of the locally based technology council and vice president of the Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas.

And, organizers say, they hope attendees leave feeling like they attended much more than just a conference.

Bolstering that feeling will start, they believe, with the format of the event.

“Some of this is strategic and some of it is just being wise,” said Luis Rodriguez, chairman of FlagshipKansas and president of Keycentrix.

The Ad Astra Technology Summit will kick off at Riverfront Stadium in downtown Wichita and feature a keynote address from home plate.
            I'm a fan of anything that promotes the Tech sector in Kansas.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• The Zoo has lost some of it's largest donors in the last couple of years. There are some incredibly generous philanthropic souls in this town who are in the twilight of their lives or have recently passed on. Time will tell I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                The Zoo has lost some of it's largest donors in the last couple of years. There are some incredibly generous philanthropic souls in this town who are in the twilight of their lives or have recently passed on. Time will tell I suppose.
                Side note: the Sedgwick County Zoo is pretty remarkable for a city the size of Wichita. It's fantastic.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Side note: the Sedgwick County Zoo is pretty remarkable for a city the size of Wichita. It's fantastic.
                  100% agree. Living in San Diego and with the amazing zoo we have here, I make sure to tell people about the SC Zoo whenever I can. It is phenomenal for the size of Wichita.

Comment

• AOL - North Wichita bridge is closing soon for construction. Here's what you need to know

The Amidon Avenue Bridge, which has spanned the Arkansas riverbend at 18th Street North for nearly 60 years, is slated for replacement.

Northbound Amidon will close for utility work starting Sept. 19 ahead of a full bridge closure beginning the first week of October, the city announced Tuesday. Construction will last at least 14 months.

An average of 16,500 vehicles travel over the aging four-lane bridge every day, city data shows. During construction, through traffic will be detoured to West Street at 21st and 13th Streets.
                    FYI for any of you who live or travel in the area.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I noticed on one of my construction bid sites that KDOT has a tentative plan to expand K-96 from Hillside to Greenwich to 6-lanes starting in 2025. $225 million estimated.
                      Last edited by NCAABound; August 31, 2022, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• KSN - Wichita wins bid to host major youth soccer tournament

Get ready for thousands of soccer players to stream into Wichita next July. The City of Wichita has been chosen to hose the U.S. Youth Soccer (USYS) 2023 National President’s Cup.

Organizers say the tournament is projected to bring more than 2,000 athletes, coaches and officials, plus players’ friends and family to Wichita. They say the estimated economic impact will top $4 million.

Visit Wichita, the official marketing organization for Wichita and Sedgwick County, submitted a bid earlier this year to host the event in collaboration with the City of Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas Youth Soccer and the state of Kansas. The bid provided information about the city, its facilities and amenities. The organization also coordinated site visits to give USYS a first-hand look at the city.

Visit Wichita found out Wednesday that it won the bid.

The National Presidents Cup will be held July 7-12 at the Stryker Sports Complex, K-96 and Greenwich. The regional tournaments leading up to the National Presidents Cup will be in June in Pennsylvania, Ohio, South Carolina and Idaho.
                        This is a big get for Wichita.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I was just thinking about how well Wichita has been doing in landing national level events lately. We will be hosting this soccer tournament, we just hosted some national skiing competition out in Maize, we had USA Boxing here this summer for an event and I believe there was some sort of national figure skating thing that took place earlier this year.

Visit Wichita and friends have been on it. And we have an event that will have fewer people but possibly more national recognition within the sports world and TV with the HS basketball showcase involving Sunrise and a few national powerhouses in a few months. I don't know what's gotten into them but I hope they keep up the good work. The preseason NHL game also doesn't suck and I believe they were behind that as well.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• An update on the Andover Y after it took a direct hit from the tornado a few months back.

WBJ - Rebuild of tornado-ravaged Andover YMCA targeted to finish in 2024

It was the first time the YMCA has announced its next steps in Andover since the tornado tore a 13-mile path through portions of Sedgwick and Butler counties three months ago. One of 10 branch locations in the Wichita area, the YMCA was one of the worst-hit businesses in the storm, which wrecked the outdoor waterpark, tore back portions of the roof and launched vehicles from the parking lot into the front lobby.

While recovering from a tornado isn't ideal, McMahon said it is a unique opportunity to enhance several areas around the building while largely keeping the same 120,000 square-foot footprint.

"Everything will be enhanced, in a sense. All new equipment, it will be a new layout, it'll be up to the latest standards in every way," he said.

The plans include an all-new gymnastics area and several new outdoor waterpark features, including cabanas that families can rent for the day. The iconic climbing wall at the entrance will be removed and reimagined into a "really cool" family gathering space.

McMahon said the goal is to reopen the outdoor water park by summer 2023, and the building itself in spring of 2024, depending on construction timelines.
                            Definitely not ideal for those that relied on the Y in Andover, but you do what you gotta do. The Andover Y takes a lot of pressure off of both the East Y and the North Y, and possibly a bit off of the El Dorado Y as well. I know they're still able to utilize some local facilities, including the Farha Center which was untouched, but they can currently only do so much.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KAKE - Kane Brown tour with Dustin Lynch and LOCASH is coming to Wichita

WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) - Country artist Kane Brown announced his Drunk or Dreaming Tour will make a stop at INTRUST Bank Arena in Wichita in the spring.

Tickets go on sale Friday, September 9 at 10am and can be purchased online at selectaseat.com by phone at 855-755-SEAT (7328) or in person at the Select-A-Seat Box Office at INTRUST Bank Arena.
                              I know Kane Brown is a fairly big name these days. Dustin Lynch sounds familiar and I swear I've heard LOCASH somewhere. Can't tell you a lot about any of them, but I do know I've heard a few Kane Brown songs that I've liked. Seems like a solid concert for Wichita as I know there are a lot of country fans.

Concert is scheduled for Thursday, April 13th.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• If any of you have teachers in your life

KSN - Scooter's Coffee celebrating teachers with free drinks

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Scooter’s Coffee will be celebrating teachers with a free drink on their own “Scooter’s Coffee Teacher Appreciation Day,” Wednesday, Sept. 7.

Scooter’s Coffee says, “Teachers are not only passionate about what they do, but they also exemplify Scooter’s Coffee Core Values of Integrity, Love, Humility and Courage, day in and day out.”

The company says they look forward to serving amazing teachers as they embark on the new school year.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X