Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    The Arcade is moving later this fall.

AOL - The Arcade in Wichita is about to get a new Old Town address, expand with food and drink

Alcohol has been the hot topic for The Arcade ever since they opened in 2017. I still haven't been down there, but I've heard nothing but good things from those who have.
    Sounds like Pizza Ranch minus the alcohol.

Comment

I'm not sure how much impact this proposal would have in the metro area, as the plan seems to deal with more outside of it, but I suppose if it happens that it could still end up being a benefit here as well. I'll have to spend more time thinking about this as a whole as this is the first I've heard of it and I'm still fully processing. I do think it could be a benefit to those it professes to help, but again, it's fresh and needs more analysis. As someone who has traveled both directions along this path more than a few times, it would definitely help traffic flow on some roads that can be decently busy as is.

Joplin Globe - Derek Schmidt proposes construction of four-lane Kansas highway linking Pittsburg to Garden City, Liberal

I would be interested to hear other opinions on this one as I continue to think it all through.
      Four lanes to MO would be a game changer for folks traveling back and forth to the Ozarks/Lakes/SW MO/NW AR, but it would basically help Kansas export dollars out of state. Would bet traffic counts would support it.

Four lanes to CO would be nice, but there's a whole lot less going on out that direction population-wise. It would be a hard sell for use of tax dollars. Besides, 96 is a nicer way to get to CO rather than 400 (personal take), if where you're going doesn't make sense via I-70 (basically anything in the Hwy 50 corridor).

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Four lanes to MO would be a game changer for folks traveling back and forth to the Ozarks/Lakes/SW MO/NW AR, but it would basically help Kansas export dollars out of state. Would bet traffic counts would support it.

Four lanes to CO would be nice, but there's a whole lot less going on out that direction population-wise. It would be a hard sell for use of tax dollars. Besides, 96 is a nicer way to get to CO rather than 400 (personal take), if where you're going doesn't make sense via I-70 (basically anything in the Hwy 50 corridor).
        They're claiming that this could boost economic development in communities along the highway. That's the part I'm not entirely sure about, though it couldn't hurt. Somewhere in the article it did mention that companies are often looking for quality highway access. I could see where this could be a benefit to the likes of Wichita, and nearby communities as I-35 has long been one of the benefits to Wichita. Now, that accesses I-70 so another E/W option may not be a huge deal, but it's possible that it could be.

Now, would this expanded highway help communities in SE KS potentially grow? Do any of them become more attractive to certain entities? That SEKS, SWMO, NWAR, NEOK area could have some potential. Helping that KS portion achieve a little more of that wouldn't suck, if it's possible. Competing with Joplin/Springfield, NWA and Tulsa probably isn't easy. But any little wins in that area would be a good thing.

As to SWKS, I'm not sure. I'm sure the expanded highway would help with what they already do with the ease of access and opening up some of the congestion. I'm not sure if it does anything to expand beef operations and such down in that area and I'm not sure if that area is going to have the potential to draw in much more, but you never know. But that part of KS, along with the nearby areas of OK, TX, CO and NM don't necessarily have a lot going on outside of ranching.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Biden's southern drug cartels are supporting it too (TIC but sadly, likely some truth to it).

Comment

• I've been curious to hear more specifics about this development in Andover, and here we get some.

WBJ - Eye to the sky: An up-close look at Heritage Square's progress in Andover

"The great thing is you come out and see that it's happening," said Jones, who noted The Heritage development is now a $200 million effort overall.

Heritage Square will feature 53,000 square feet leasable for commercial use on the ground floor, 186 luxury apartments on floors 3-5, a second floor dedicated to parking (including secured parking for apartment residents) and 493 free public parking spaces.
            Office, retail and restaurants are all possibilities for Heritage Square. Street Commercial is leading the marketing of the commercial space.

"The interest level is very high," Jones said.

Heritage Square is on pace for completion in 2023, and Jones said he's hopeful businesses could open there by summer of next year.
            While Heritage Square rises, there are other significant pieces of The Heritage vision.

Perfection Builders continues to advance construction on the Heritage Commons and the Courtyards at The Heritage residential projects on the north side of the development where there will be 96 and 89 homes.

Dirt is moving on Heritage Plaza, west of Heritage Square, which will have a prominent water feature and is intended to serve as a central gathering point within the community.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita by EB - What's Happening This Weekend in Wichita (August 19-21)

Here are some of the things happening around town.

Improv Show at Flying Pig Improv | August 19-20
              Where: The Flying Pig
              It’s showtime at Flying Pig Improv! You provide the ideas and we take it from there with games and scenes that will thrill and confound you. Laughter guaranteed.

A Summer of Magic: Harry Potter Dome Theater Experience | August 19
              Where: Exploration Place
              Exploration Place is bringing the world of Harry Potter to Wichita! Each week our wizard and muggle guests will watch one movie in the series on the dome screen with booming surround sound. Before the show, participate in themed classes and interactives provided by a variety of Hogsmeade shops and magical places. Butterbeer will flow freely and there will be an opportunity to take home muggle artifacts.

Fleur by Quixotic | August 20
              Where:
              Botanica
              Botanica presents Kansas City’s very own, Fleur by Quixotic, a group of over a dozen acrobats, musicians, circus artists and performers, dancers and aerialists weaving vignettes together to provide an immersive multimedia performance inspired by the beauty of nature. Fleur brings an impressive spectacle to the stage through mesmerizing light shows, magnificent colors and live music. With a striking history of debuts in venues such as The Powell Gardens, Union Station, and The Ulrich Museum, the Quixotic crew promises to deliver an exhilarating live performance guests are not soon to forget.

Grape Harvest Festival | August 20
              Where:
              Grace Hill Winery
              For those unfamiliar with the harvest process, all of the Grace Hill Vineyard grapes are picked by volunteers! On Saturday mornings throughout August and September, we head out into the vineyard beginning at 8am, spend the next 2ish hours collecting grapes, followed by a tour of the facilities to watch the grapes as they begin their journey into wine, after which we head inside or to the patio for a barbecue lunch and lots of Grace Hill Wine (or fresh grape juice for the kiddos as all ages are welcome)! And to sweeten the deal a little bit more, all pickers also receive a 20% discount on any items purchased at the winery that day!

ICT Burger Battle | August 20
              Where: O.J. Watson Park
              This year’s event will put 10 Wichita food trucks head-to-head for the title of the best burger in town!

Community Fair Days! | August 21
              Where: Old CowTown Museum
              Free admission for all, plus shop over 50 great local vendors! Food, treats, and great handmade art, home decor, glasses, t-shirts, jellies, jams, local authors and more!
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Here's one I don't really understand.

KWCH - Riverfront Stadium to host Dodge City, Garden City matchup in 'Hatchet Rivalry'

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - The Wichita Wind Surge announced today they will host the 85th Annual Hatchet Rivalry at Riverfront Stadium featuring the Dodge City Red Demons and Garden City Buffaloes. The football game will be played on Saturday, Oct. 15 at 6 p.m.

“We are excited to host two outstanding programs from Western Kansas at Riverfront Stadium this fall,” Wind Surge CEO Jordan Kobritz said. “The game was scheduled so as not to conflict with the local high school football schedule. It will give local football fans an additional opportunity to watch high school football at its best in downtown Wichita.”
                This just seems like a long, out of the way place to hold a regular season matchup. Will they bring a lot of people from western Kansas with them to the game? Are people out there willing to travel that far for this game? Will there be much in the way of local interest for two teams that have no connection to the metro area?

Maybe it works out better than I imagine. It just seems odd. Kapaun v BC makes sense. Any metro area teams having a game there could make sense. I guess we'll see come mid-October.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Here's one I don't really understand.

KWCH - Riverfront Stadium to host Dodge City, Garden City matchup in 'Hatchet Rivalry'

This just seems like a long, out of the way place to hold a regular season matchup. Will they bring a lot of people from western Kansas with them to the game? Are people out there willing to travel that far for this game? Will there be much in the way of local interest for two teams that have no connection to the metro area?

Maybe it works out better than I imagine. It just seems odd. Kapaun v BC makes sense. Any metro area teams having a game there could make sense. I guess we'll see come mid-October.
                  Agreed. Makes zero sense. Will have zero local interest. They got this matchup but couldn’t get Maize and Derby? I mean wow.

Also, they’re able to work with high schools for FOOTBALL games there but couldn’t make it work for BASEBALL’S NBC World Series?

Great stadium. Horrendously ran.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Agreed. Makes zero sense. Will have zero local interest. They got this matchup but couldn’t get Maize and Derby? I mean wow.

Also, they’re able to work with high schools for FOOTBALL games there but couldn’t make it work for BASEBALL’S NBC World Series?

Their season is over when these games are taking place so there's no concern about availability or field conditions for the Wind Surge.

Both the Surge and the NBC have said there's still hope for the future, but there was some overlapping of needs this year. I believe Riverfront could have hosted the final three or four days of the NBC and that's probably about the best that can be hoped for most years. Not sure if the NBC locked down Eck before the MiLB schedule came out or if there were other issues.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• That's fine, but even if it's replacing 10 diesel vehicles, the "improvement" in air quality for Kansans would be similar to a kid not peeing once in Cheney Reservoir. And paying him $4 mil to hold it until he finds a port-a-potty.

Comment

• Not sure if this topic was covered on this thread or elsewhere. If so, my apologies.

The new Wichita Southeast High school (and I mean south and I mean east) opened in August 2016 I believe. So they are started year number 6. They have very nice athletic facilities including a nice football stadium with artificial turn. However, the Golden Buffaloes football team are unable to practice on their home turn nor will any games be played their this fall.

Apparently, there is some problem with water seeping underneath the turf and causing enough issues that it has been deemed to be unsafe to play on.

Sounds like it may have to be totally replaced although have not really seen or heard many details about that.

Comment

• Derby Informer - Derby's Olivia Prue set to make film debut

Premiering soon in Wichita, “The Contested Plains” follows the story of the German family’s westward crossing – filled with tragedy and violence – and serves as a stark reminder of the difficulties those who crossed the central plains faced while making the perilous journey.

Despite all that, Derby’s Olivia Prue shines a bright and endearing light on the story even as the character she plays faces an unimaginable challenge on the open plains. It will mark Prue’s film debut, opening at Wichita’s Orpheum Theatre on Sept. 9.

“I'm so, so excited for this to come out. We've been working on it for such a long time with such a hard-working cast and crew,” Prue said. “I think they're all as excited as I am, but for this being my first film, I'm really excited to, I don't know, see everyone's reaction, but I can't help but be nervous at the same time.”
                          Sounds like an interesting story.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

That's fine, but even if it's replacing 10 diesel vehicles, the "improvement" in air quality for Kansans would be similar to a kid not peeing once in Cheney Reservoir. And paying him $4 mil to hold it until he finds a port-a-potty.
                            Logic and reason does not come into play in the "green" decision-making matrix. Choices are made so the irrational folks with kool aid hair can sleep better at night and/or have more time to ponder pronouns.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Shocking how the new stadium and associated development has worked out, isn't it? An outcome never seen before in the realm of public-private partnerships and the City of Wichita and/or Sedgwick County. Who could have foreseen it?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

That's fine, but even if it's replacing 10 diesel vehicles, the "improvement" in air quality for Kansans would be similar to a kid not peeing once in Cheney Reservoir. And paying him $4 mil to hold it until he finds a port-a-potty.
                                I believe they've also replaced some buses and such. Sure, it's not a major impact, but having less exhaust being released doesn't hurt the potential air quality in and around the area. And I can tell you from being on the bike so much these days, some of the exhaust coming out of some vehicles is down right offensive. So having city buses that run all day not pumping it out in large amounts doesn't hurt. And I don't see the city patting themselves on the back with a bunch of look at us, we're so good talking points. It's just an inevitable transition that they're slowly and responsibly doing. So I give them some credit there.

And Wichita will in the near future get a fairly significant boost in EV charging stations. Will that lead to more people being open to changing to EV or hybrid vehicles? I don't know. But I know one of the early complaints was that the infrastructure wasn't there for electric vehicles and that will be changing. And they do lead to less exhaust in the area which can have some positive impacts.

Personally, the next time I'm in the market for a car, I'm still more likely to look at a hybrid than an all electric car.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X