No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBJ - NEW DAWN FOR DOWNTOWN - The Pieces Are In Place For Major Revitalization, But Challenges Remain

In just a few years, a $300-million biomedical campus is expected to rise in place of nondescript parking lots near Broadway and William streets and a neighboring city transit center destined for replacement.

It's a landmark endeavor in downtown Wichita's history, and the project's driving visionary says it couldn't have happened without being audacious.

"What all this has taught me is that you need to have big, bold ideas," Wichita State University president Rick Muma said. "I think sometimes, in the Midwest, people are not prone to have those kinds of big ideas."
    Wichita definitely hasn't been prone to those kinds of big ideas, but this could start something in the core.

The future Wichita biomedical campus is a leading example of a city — not known for intrepid development — taking bigger steps toward showcasing its core as a jewel to residents and visitors.

Along the Arkansas River, additional transformative projects — a $100-million mixed-use development next to Riverfront Stadium and a multimillion-dollar outdoor expansion at Exploration Place — are also on track to break ground next year.

The years ahead are not without challenges, but they could be poised to deliver a downtown hard to imagine at the start of this century.
    There's a lot to be excited about happening soon. I guess the hope is that more will come as these things start to take shape.

Across from WSU Tech's new National Institute of Culinary and Hospitality Education (NICHE) and near the recently opened Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine, the 471,000 square‑foot biomedical campus is expected to initially bring about 3,000 students and 200 faculty and staff downtown.

Muma said he expects ground-breaking on phase one by June. The target is to have all educational programs coming over from the three institutions' campuses in time for 2026's fall semester.

By that point, he said the goal is for funding to have been identified for phase two, which will include clinics.

Over time, thousands more people — up to 12,000 — could eventually be on campus, Greater Wichita Partnership president Jeff Fluhr said.
    Up to 12,000? I haven't heard anything like that prior to this article. I figured there would be growth from the initial amount projected, but damn! That kind of increase would lead to the necessity of more happening in the area and would be a massive benefit to businesses already down there.

Fluhr said years of work tied to Project Downtown has enhanced infrastructure and added life in the heart of the city, helping create the environment for major projects like the biomedical campus to happen. Since 2010, $1.6 billion in investment has gone into the city's core.

"Now you're creating within the core itself this whole new industry, surrounded with health care and health-care education, which is going to be incredibly important for our downtown," Fluhr said. He and Muma said they expect private-sector investment to come in alongside the center, similar to WSU's Innovation Campus.

Infrastructure improvements and added vibrancy downtown over the last decade factored into the decision for the center's home, Muma said.
    I've said for years that it's a process and Wichita just needs people with vision and patience. Nothing happens over night. But the investments have been made and the benefits are coming.

To the west, more action is happening along what many have seen as a long-underutilized part of Wichita: the Arkansas River.

Exploration Place, on the river's west bank, has funding in place to start construction by early 2024 on an outdoor amphitheater. Then, phase two will feature a $17-million playscape, a new generation of playground with a theme-park feel for all ages.

“I want to say to the people of Wichita, the river is a much bigger asset than you seem to think," said Adam Smith, Exploration Place president.

The U.K. native, who has worked in multiple museums across the U.S., added, "Anywhere I've ever lived and worked in the past, water is a universally understood asset. People are attracted to it.”
    They're aiming for the playscape to be open in 2025. Smith does voice concern about the elevated violent crime rate that has hit the cities core as a possible negative to maximizing what can be done with all of this.

After an expected project next to Riverfront Stadium went nowhere in 2022, the City Council last month approved a new agreement with Overland Park-based EPC Real Estate Group anticipated to push forward a $100-million mixed-use commercial development.

Austin Bradley, executive vice president at EPC, said theproject is set to include an approximately 165-room hotel, 180-unit luxury apartment complex, 10,000 square feet of retail space and a parking garage.

It's projected to break ground in the middle of next year and wrap construction in 2026.

Bradley, whose firm spearheaded the 225 Sycamore apartments in the Delano District, said Wichita can expect a multifamily development with top-level amenities, hotel with a rooftop cocktail lounge and restaurant on the riverfront and commercial uses that complement the area.

"We want to make sure it's not a seasonal destination, but a year-round destination," he said.
    Wichita has been waiting for this area to take off. Laham Development has been very complimentary towards EPC and what they've previously done in the area and look forward to what they do here. Laham apparently also owns land to the north of Riverfront Stadium and has plans there, and I think with this project beginning next year, we may see Laham start more planning and even construction not long after it begins as the Ballpark District could be a go to destination even outside of events at Riverfront.

They also talk about the Century II area and the Performing Arts need. The city manager says serious talks about that plan and action needed should take place next year. Everyone is in agreement that we have to have a new PA facility.

One of the biggest shifts ahead for the community, when it comes to downtown, could be its own mindset — influenced by Kansans' well-known humility and other grand plans for the core (See: The Minnesota Guys in the mid-2000s) going by the wayside.

"It's like there's a bit of a suspicion of the grandiose," Exploration Place's Smith said.

But this moment seems different, and very real, led by the KU-WSU biomedical effort.

“I'll say, just flat out, it's going to happen," WSU's Muma said of the campus.

Including the campus, nearly $700 million of downtown investment is in the pipeline, GWP's Fluhr said.

"There's truly a concerted effort to build this remarkable city," he said. "We're seeing that in action with the projects that have been announced.”
    There's a lot of optimism and that goes a long way. Especially once dirt starts to be moved.

The article also lists a few current downtown projects

The new Keycentrix HQ on Emporia. They should be moved in by November. This is the former Legacy Antique Mall.

The National on Main. It's a mixed-use luxury apartments and co-working space. It's in the former Union National Bank and Commerce Bank building.

NICHE on Broadway. WSU Tech's culinary and hospitality school. I believe it's open but they're still working on it and it will continue to grow. This is the former Henry's department store.

Kansas African American Museum on Main. They're still working on a $6M fundraising campaign. This is the former Sunflower Bank building.

Then they finish up talking about how big Intrust Bank Arena and Riverfront Stadium have been in helping the downtown energy in recovering from the Covid slowdowns. IBA just set a new record with the Zach Bryan concert having 16,172 fans in attendance while Riverfront saw the biggest year over year jump in home attendance for all of MiLB.

If you can't see good things ahead for downtown, I don't know what to tell you. It's going to be massively different, and better, by 2030 and who knows what we'll be looking at by then.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Too bad Hannah doesn't play for them anymore.

MSN - Harlem Globetrotters return to Intrust Bank Arena

The Harlem Globetrotters are returning to Intrust Bank Arena in 2024.

Tickets go on sale Sept. 25 for the game that will be held at the arena on April 5, 2024. As always, they will face their rivals since 1952, the Washington Generals.

The Globetrotter’s roster currently consists of 38 players, 35 men and three women. Known for their trick plays, trick shots, and basketball handling skills, the Harlem Globetrotters have been entertaining crowds for over 90 years.

Tickets go on sale starting at 10 a.m. Sept. 25 online at www.selectaseat.com. They can also be purchased by phone at 855-755-SEAT (7328) or in person at the Select-A-Seat Box Office at Intrust Bank Arena.

To learn more about the current team roster or its history, visit their website.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Eagle - Thirsty in downtown Wichita? The city plans new drinking fountains; new restrooms, too

The city of Wichita plans to install new restrooms at two centrally located parks, as well as four drinking fountains across downtown.

If the City Council approves the staff’s $630,310 proposal at Tuesday’s meeting, Naftzger Park and A. Price Woodard Jr. Memorial Park will both get new restrooms.

A. Price Woodard’s restrooms have been closed for years and Naftzger, the city’s most heavily programmed downtown park, has no restrooms.

The proposal also calls for installing drinking fountains at Naftzger Park, Old Town Square and two additional downtown locations that have yet to be determined.

The city’s 2024-2033 capital improvement program allocates $435,000 for park restrooms. An additional $195,310 would come from the sale of a 14,496-square-foot parcel of land in A. Price Woodard Park to the Hyatt Hotel.
        Not the worst idea. Naftzger has been used for a number of gatherings and I'm sure would benefit from restrooms. Having a few places to get a quick drink downtown isn't the worst thing for people down there for events or whatever.

And having easily accessible water for the homeless isn't the worst thing ever.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Eagle - Hutchinson's Prairie Dunes lands a pair of prestigious US Senior Open golf tournaments

A pair of future United States Golf Association championships are headed to Hutchinson.

The USGA announced Tuesday morning that Prairie Dunes Country Club has been selected as the host site for the 2029 U.S. Senior Open and 2032 U.S. Senior Women’s Open.

Prairie Dunes is no stranger to hosting premier USGA events, as the Hutchinson course has hosted eight previous championships, the last coming in 2006 with the U.S. Senior Open.
          The Wichita area also received another USGA championship bid earlier this summer, as Sand Creek Station will play host to the third U.S. Adaptive Open in Newton from July 8-10, 2024.

U.S. Senior Open events are open to professional or amateur golfers with a qualified handicap (3.4 for men, 7.4 for women) and who are at least 50 years old by the start of championship play.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Goddard business is growing

WBJ - Stroot Lockers' expansion in heart of west Wichita suburb isn't far from completion

The company, a full-service butcher that has been processing beef, pork and deer for more than four decades, is expanding its location at 111 N. Main St. from 3,500 square feet to more than 10,000.

Co-owner James Gaida said the project will significantly grow the company's retail space in the west Wichita suburb, as Stroot sells its own sticks, jerky and summer sausage and looks at expanding into new products and flavors.

"We're going to be about eight times bigger (including retail)," Gaida said. "It'll give us a lot more shelf space."

Evans Building Co. is leading the design-build effort that started in May. Gaida said the goal is for project completion by the end of November or early December.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This is a big deal

KSN - Adam Sandler bringing 'I Missed You Tour' to Wichita

Adam Sandler is bringing his “I Missed You Tour” to Wichita.

Sandler’s stop in Wichita will be on Sunday, Dec. 10, at Intrust Bank Arena.

Presale tickets will go on sale Thursday, Sept. 14, through Live Nation and Intrust Bank Arena.

General tickets will be on sale for “The I Missed You Tour” on Friday, Sept. 15, at 12 p.m.

Tickets will be available online at www.ticketmaster.com, www.selectaseat.com, by phone at 855-755-SEAT (7328) or in person at the Select-A-Seat Box Office at Intrust Bank Arena.
              I know Sandler isn't for everyone, but even if you don't like him, you know how big he's been and how big of a draw this could be. He hasn't toured a ton in recent years so getting him to ICT is definitely a win.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Trans-Siberian Orchestra returning to Wichita in December with 'The Ghosts of Christmas Eve - The Best of TSO & More'

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is returning to Wichita in December with “The Ghosts of Christmas Eve – The Best of TSO & More.”

The show will be at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 6, at Intrust Bank Arena, 500 E. Waterman St.

“Prepare for a musical journey like no other this winter,” says Intrust Bank Arena.

The TSO says this year’s tour promises a new and larger presentation of the beloved holiday tradition, “The Ghosts of Christmas Eve.”

A product of the imagination of TSO’s late founder Paul O’Neill, and based on TSO’s multi-platinum CD and TV special, “The Ghosts of Christmas Eve,” follows the journey of a runaway who breaks into an abandoned vaudeville theater on December 24th. While seeking shelter from the cold, the teen is discovered by the theater’s caretaker who uses the ghosts and spirits from the building’s past to turn her life around. Following the performance of the rock opera, 2023’s tour also boasts a rocking, blazing, and laser-lit second set containing more of TSO’s greatest hits, fan-favorites, and surprises.”
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• There's a slideshow in the link to show what things look like and I believe it's accessible for everyone.

WBJ - Sneak peek: The National, a downtown Wichita mixed-use project, is coming to life

While construction continues to progress in parts of the 10-story building, the first residents started arriving this past July, and — from the newly-installed, prominent exterior sign to the two amenity decks — components of the project continue to come together.

In addition to 151 apartments, The National will have a two-floor coworking component, called the Commerce Club, that will include a coffee bar and cafe and a bodega convenience store.

Tyler Ellis of High Plains Development, The National's developer, said more than half of the 61 currently available apartments are full and that the rest of the units and Commerce Club should be wrapped and open by the end of November.

He said he believes the Commerce Club will add a notable boost to the area once it's open.

"Once the vibe and hype starts to come, we're excited about what that will do for the building and for downtown," he said.

The Commerce Club's website launched this week and provides more information for those interested in memberships.
                  Apartments on floors 2-4 are available, with floors 5-7 coming next, followed by 8-10 — with Ellis noting pre-leasing demand has been especially strong for the higher levels.

The property has secured access throughout, on-site covered parking with two electric vehicle charging stations and amenities that include a lounge-style pool on one of The National's two outdoor amenity decks, a rooftop observation deck, dog run, yoga studio, fitness center and more.
                  This looks to be another nice addition to downtown
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I know I've said it a lot over the years, but I really do hope more metro towns look at what Derby has continued to do and make an effort to do similar things for themselves. Goddard seems to have begun down that road. Andover seems to be thinking about it. Park City is making efforts. I still think Maize and Valley Center could do more. Augusta seems to be trying something with their downtown revitalization and we'll see where they go from there. El Dorado has long needed to figure something out and needs to do more to attract an industrial base that they seem to be well setup for. And honestly, with the growth of Derby, I would think an opportunity exists for Mulvane and Rose Hill to maybe start benefiting from it. Rose Hill could have a good opportunity to tie in to the growth of both Derby and Andover.

Hutch and Newton are a little further and I would think have a fair amount of potential to do more, and maybe they are, but I just don't see/hear as much about them. They still have a pretty good location along the highways and still being nearish to Wichita but also far enough away that they could potentially create a little more of their own identity.

The above wasn't a random thought and was brought on be the following article.

WBJ - Future of Derby business development grows north and east

Since the opening of Derby Marketplace in 2008, 87 storefronts have been developed north of Meadowlark on Rock Road in Derby.

For Derby city administrators who plan years ahead, it's about geography.

"We're not growing west across the river," city manager Kiel Mangus said. "We have agreements with Mulvane as to (growing south), but we can grow up," pointing north of Patriot Avenue along Rock Road on a map in his office.

Recent additions along the Rock Road corridor include Rock Regional Hospital, Field Station Dinosaur, 10-Minute Oil Change, and The Sandbox. May 2022 saw the approval of a STAR Bonds project proposing the addition of a hotel, sports zone, and lagoon with space for glamping (or "glamorous" camping).The bond also proposed an addition of 300 apartment units and 29.7 acres of senior living space on the east side of Rock between the Marketplace center and Patriot.
                    According to year-end reports, 340 residences were added to the Derby area since 2021 and 663 since 2018. Mangus' map, updated in April 2022, displays another 17 locations labeled for new residential development. Five are along Rock Road or Patriot Avenue; another nine are north and east of those streets. Three locations within the existing developed space of Derby are marked for further development, including a transformation of Pleasantview Elementary School into a future Pleasantview Senior Living. Construction is in the early stages.

"There's a lot of pent-up demand for housing in Derby," Mangus said.

Residences aren't the only properties being built to fill-in the green spaces of "old Derby." While two of the three existing industrial spaces are full, a third zoned for industrial is looking for new ownership — and possible development. Previously owned by Bill Lusk, the more than 150 acres is now on the market through Grant Glasgow at NAI Martens.Restaurants, retail and office strips are also in development.

First Man Brewery opened in an existing space along Madison Avenue in 2022. Road Runner Mexican opened on K-15, and BG Products expanded in an existing industrial park in Derby, just east of the river along 83rd. The Derby BG office hosts BG Automation LLC, a robotics integrator providing solutions for various industries including the aerospace and aviation manufacturing industries within the Wichita area.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KAKE - Wind Surge 'Road to 10K' aims to end season how it started - sold out

As the Wind Surge laces up against the RockHounds, the team says it has big plans for its final games.

Wind Surge President Jay Miller says it's called "The Road to 10K."

He said the goal is to completely sell out Riverfront Stadium on Saturday just as it did on opening day.

"We know we're going to hit that 10,000. And it's just going to be a fun night. And some of the staff has never seen a baseball game with that many people, and they're going to understand why I get so excited about it after Saturday," said Miller.

But Miller said the team already has a lot to be proud of. With an increase of about 1,600 fans per game compared to last year, he says the Wind Surge has the biggest attendance jump of any minor league team.

Miller says as he reflects on a successful season, he can't help but feel grateful.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        I know I've said it a lot over the years, but I really do hope more metro towns look at what Derby has continued to do and make an effort to do similar things for themselves. Goddard seems to have begun down that road. Andover seems to be thinking about it. Park City is making efforts. I still think Maize and Valley Center could do more. Augusta seems to be trying something with their downtown revitalization and we'll see where they go from there. El Dorado has long needed to figure something out and needs to do more to attract an industrial base that they seem to be well setup for. And honestly, with the growth of Derby, I would think an opportunity exists for Mulvane and Rose Hill to maybe start benefiting from it. Rose Hill could have a good opportunity to tie in to the growth of both Derby and Andover.

Hutch and Newton are a little further and I would think have a fair amount of potential to do more, and maybe they are, but I just don't see/hear as much about them. They still have a pretty good location along the highways and still being nearish to Wichita but also far enough away that they could potentially create a little more of their own identity.

The above wasn't a random thought and was brought on be the following article.

WBJ - Future of Derby business development grows north and east

The one weird thing for us here in Derby is we don't have a traditional small town "Main Street" thanks to the way the town grew. The explosion of growth from 1950 to 1960 (population from 600 to 6000) expanded eastward from K-15, but no real Main Street in the usual sense ever developed. For a long time most businesses were on K-15, and that meant it never had a real main street feel. Today our parade route is primarily east to west on Madison, then turns south one block before K-15, down to Market, and then back east to the staging area at Panther Stadium.

And yes, our primary growth direction is to the north. I foresee lots of housing development to the north of Derby North MS and the hospital in the coming decade.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

The one weird thing for us here in Derby is we don't have a traditional small town "Main Street" thanks to the way the town grew. The explosion of growth from 1950 to 1960 (population from 600 to 6000) expanded eastward from K-15, but no real Main Street in the usual sense ever developed. For a long time most businesses were on K-15, and that meant it never had a real main street feel. Today our parade route is primarily east to west on Madison, then turns south one block before K-15, down to Market, and then back east to the staging area at Panther Stadium.

And yes, our primary growth direction is to the north. I foresee lots of housing development to the north of Derby North MS and the hospital in the coming decade.
                          I could see that. With having K15 and then Rock being major avenues to and from Wichita that's where the big business boom went.

I live in a much smaller town desperately trying to grow. One of the complaints amongst residence is that we also have no "downtown" area to congregate or be proud of. The businesses in that stretch of our Main St. aren't really open to the public and mostly used for storage for other things. It's depressing as we could have a nice little downtown vibe with the right vision for those properties. With that said, most any business from outside of those that live here will absolutely go up along K254, with a couple of lots at Main and 20th (Old K254) that could be utilized.

Right now, we'd take any business that would take a chance on us and build something even if it is along the 254 corridor. I think the hope is that if you can bring some more business in there and we get more rooftops, that it will eventually trickle into our actual Main St. area. That area right now has City Hall, the police department, the post office, a community building, a really crappy computer repair guy with a shady past, a couple of buildings owned by two different guys who I believe both buy/restore/sell classic cars, and crappy little car dealership, a couple of buildings that I believe are only used to store things and then a bank and Infinity Art Glass which is the jewel of it all. There's also a lot that is owned by one of the car guys that is vacant between the post office and his building that he'll just pile things in from time to time. There are probably at least 8 properties that could eventually be used to give the town a little more character and a lot of room for residential growth. I believe there are some loose plans for an Industrial area at the corner of Butler Rd. and K254, which if it ever comes to fruition could be a bit of a help in drawing people and business into town.

Anyway, while Derby may lack a Main St. vibe, at least they have a lot of opportunities in pretty much every area.

Regardless, there really is a lot of potential in the metro with some vision. Landing a couple of major businesses wouldn't hurt and we'll see what the Integra plant will do for the area. Kechi might even see some benefit from that one.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I could see that. With having K15 and then Rock being major avenues to and from Wichita that's where the big business boom went.

I live in a much smaller town desperately trying to grow. One of the complaints amongst residence is that we also have no "downtown" area to congregate or be proud of. The businesses in that stretch of our Main St. aren't really open to the public and mostly used for storage for other things. It's depressing as we could have a nice little downtown vibe with the right vision for those properties. With that said, most any business from outside of those that live here will absolutely go up along K254, with a couple of lots at Main and 20th (Old K254) that could be utilized.

Right now, we'd take any business that would take a chance on us and build something even if it is along the 254 corridor. I think the hope is that if you can bring some more business in there and we get more rooftops, that it will eventually trickle into our actual Main St. area. That area right now has City Hall, the police department, the post office, a community building, a really crappy computer repair guy with a shady past, a couple of buildings owned by two different guys who I believe both buy/restore/sell classic cars, and crappy little car dealership, a couple of buildings that I believe are only used to store things and then a bank and Infinity Art Glass which is the jewel of it all. There's also a lot that is owned by one of the car guys that is vacant between the post office and his building that he'll just pile things in from time to time. There are probably at least 8 properties that could eventually be used to give the town a little more character and a lot of room for residential growth. I believe there are some loose plans for an Industrial area at the corner of Butler Rd. and K254, which if it ever comes to fruition could be a bit of a help in drawing people and business into town.

Anyway, while Derby may lack a Main St. vibe, at least they have a lot of opportunities in pretty much every area.

Regardless, there really is a lot of potential in the metro with some vision. Landing a couple of major businesses wouldn't hurt and we'll see what the Integra plant will do for the area. Kechi might even see some benefit from that one.
                            Yeah, lacking a traditional main street, Derby smartly snapped up the Catholic church property in the middle of town several years ago when the church moved out to a new building on the east edge of town. They kept a portion of the church for a community building, razed the rest, and turned the entire lot of about 2-3 city blocks size into Madison Ave. Central Park. They built another rentable venue building, playground stuff for kids, and a decent amount of parking. It is now a main hub for a lot of city events. Farmers Market, Third Thursday, Art Fairs, the city Christmas tree, etc.

It will be interesting to see how the Integra plant does drive development along the 254 corridor. I hope many good things come your way!
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• KAKE - Wichita Wind Surge Pack the Park event works and Riverfront Stadium sets attendance record

“I heard that they're trying to break a record this evening. So I wanted to come support and see if I can help out with that,” said Ashlie Weber, an attendee of Saturday night’s Wichita Wind Surge Pack the Park event.

Ashlie Weber is just one attendee of thousands at the now historic Wichita Wind Surge game.

“So our goal tonight is to get to the first official sell out in search history of 10,000 plus,” said Bob Moullette, the general manager of the Wichita Wind Surge.

The big news? Pack the Park worked and Riverfront Stadium saw record attendance with 10,442 attendees Saturday.

The Wichita Wind Surge has seen huge growth this year, in fact, they had the biggest attendance jump of any minor league baseball team this season.

The average game attendance this year for Riverfront Stadium is 4,661 people, a big jump from last years 3,341 person a game average.

“It just goes to show that Wichita is a baseball town. It's a supportive town and they really want to see this entire endeavor work and it makes us happy to see this many people in the building,” said Moullette.
                              There's a news clip as well in the link.

Having the Wind Surge be successful is good for the metro, even if they are affiliated with a team that is a rival to the team I would assume most MLB fans in the area cheer for.

I may still yet buy me a Turbo Tubs hat though.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Hometown girl getting some country music buzz thanks to Bobby Bones. This was an inspiring read and you just can't help but root for the girl. If she pursues this or not, she seems to have a pretty good head on her shoulders.

Eagle - Bobby Bones helps Wichita native launch singing career - and her new song about Wichita

On Thursday of this week, Abby Leigh Anderson’s new single called “Hey There Hometown” was uploaded to all the major music streaming services, including Spotify, iTunes and Amazon Music. The song is an autobiographical ode to Wichita, where Anderson, 33, lived until she left for college at the University of Kansas in 2009.

The refrain of the country music track:

Ohhh Wichita

You’ll always be home to me

I hope you know no matter where I go

These Kansas roots’ll run deep

Hope you’re proud of who I turned into

Nowhere else can hold a candle to

Ohhh Wichita... I owe it all to you…

The song is the result of lots of prodding from Anderson’s boss, Bones. For the past four years, she’s worked as the phone screener for Bones’ nationally syndicated radio show, “The Bobby Bones Show,” which records in Nashville and airs on 200 radio stations across the United States and Canada. The show also is streamed online and is said to reach nearly 10 million people a month.
                                If you go searching for anything else from her, don't get her confused with another singer that is also named Abby Anderson. That girl is good though.

Here's a link that should take you to Spotify to listen to Hey There Hometown by Abby Leigh Anderson. It's not too shabby.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X