No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeast Wichita is getting another new addition in the 96 and Greenwich area, though it's less exciting than a TopGolf.

WBJ - Goodwill growing: Nonprofit plans new retail location in northeast Wichita

The locally-based nonprofit announced Friday it has purchased 2.2 acres near the southwest corner of 29th and Greenwich Road in northeast Wichita, in close proximity to the under-construction Topgolf and other planned development in the area.

Goodwill aims to break ground this fall — with the opening date to be determined — on a 25,000 square-foot facility with a 12,000 square-foot sales floor.

"This area of the city is experiencing a tremendous amount of growth, so it makes perfect sense for us to place a retail store and donation center in this rapidly-expanding area," said Laura Ritterbush, president and CEO of Goodwill Industries of Kansas, in a news release.
    They serve a purpose and I hope this works out for them.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• A lot of dirt work being done around 13th/Greenwich - south of the Hatchett Buick/GMC dealership. Anybody know what's going on?

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Northeast Wichita is getting another new addition in the 96 and Greenwich area, though it's less exciting than a TopGolf.

WBJ - Goodwill growing: Nonprofit plans new retail location in northeast Wichita

They serve a purpose and I hope this works out for them.
        I love Goodwill and make it a weekly stop. “One man’s junk is another man’s junk.”
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
          A lot of dirt work being done around 13th/Greenwich - south of the Hatchett Buick/GMC dealership. Anybody know what's going on?
          I believe that's the Genesis Dealership that Hatchett is putting in.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
            A lot of dirt work being done around 13th/Greenwich - south of the Hatchett Buick/GMC dealership. Anybody know what's going on?
            Based on permits, it likely has to do with the Genesis dealership. There's a useful web site that gives you information regarding permits and you can search by address:

1 - https://mabcdportal.sedgwickcounty.o...ookUpMain.aspx

2 - click on Address under 'Lookup Plan Review or Permit'

3 - in this case you can put in Greenwich for street and Wichita for city and click on Search

4 - once you get the results you can click on the Location column heading to sort by locations (the sort order is by number so the listing can be a mix of north and sourth vs all north and then south) and then click on the Summary link to see the details for that permit
            Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• New and improved facility for AOA is coming.

]WBJ - Advanced Orthopaedic Associates starts on $16M Wichita office

Located at 2778 N. Webb Road within the medical office park at Webb and K-96, the new building is going up on vacant land to the east of its current office.

"We love this Web Medical Plaza. We love our relationships we have with the places around here and with Ascension who owns the land and the property there," said dxecutive director Amanda Ermey, "so we decided to buy from them and just go a little bit further east."

Advanced Orthopaedic Associates, which leases from Ascension Via Christi, purchased the 5-acre parcel from Ascension in early 2022 and started the project in April.
              This is where I went in 2021 for my wrist and to have a Ganglion Cyst removed. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with them as a whole, especially during a chaotic time of Covid and restrictions. My mother also had some hand surgery done through them.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

New and improved facility for AOA is coming.

]WBJ - Advanced Orthopaedic Associates starts on $16M Wichita office

This is where I went in 2021 for my wrist and to have a Ganglion Cyst removed. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with them as a whole, especially during a chaotic time of Covid and restrictions. My mother also had some hand surgery done through them.
                Ganglion Cysts can be nasty… a buddy of mine has one and refuses to get it removed.

Reminds me of this..

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Ganglion Cysts can be nasty… a buddy of mine has one and refuses to get it removed.

Reminds me of this..

Mine would come and go for years and was generally only an issue for a few days every few months, until the last year or so I had it. It wouldn't drain on its own much anymore and range of motion was bad most of the time. And at the worst moments, I could barely grip a pen. Using the mouse or ten key was painful and I didn't have much of a decision to make. I'd looked into it before, but went to The Hand Center, but Dr. Melhorn wouldn't even consider surgery and just wanted to continue having me come in every couple of months for some steroid shot that didn't do jack ****. I stopped going and just dealt with it until it become too much. Dr. Gwyn at AOA didn't seem to think too highly of The Hand Center when I was going over my previous treatments. Mostly because I didn't want to do that again and if he was going to do the same thing I was going to cut the damned thing out myself.

I will say that recovery went fairly quick. I was back to working, with a soft cast, within a few days and doing my own PT based on material they provided and within a few weeks I was pretty much good to go. Probably a bit weaker as things were still healing, but few restrictions.

I know they grow in other joints as well, but I wish I'd had it taken care of much sooner. I think I had it for years before I really knew what was going on. I always blamed the soreness in my wrist on maybe overplaying video games at times and it wasn't until years later when I actually noticed the bump inside the joint when it would flare up. When I thought back on it, there were even times in HS that I noticed a little pain on the follow through of my jump shot, but it didn't impact anything so I ignored it.

Basically, I highly recommend getting them taken care of if they cause any physical pain or limitations at all.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Intrust Bank Arena to host Wichita's first NHL game

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Hockey fans in Wichita will have the opportunity to witness a preseason NHL game at Intrust Bank Arena on Sept. 24.

The St. Louis Blues, who won the Stanley Cup in 2019, will be playing the Arizona Coyotes in the NHL Frozen Face Off. The game was announced in April 2022. It is the first NHL game to be held in Wichita.

The Thunder has been trying to get the NHL to come to Wichita for several years. So it hopes that a good turnout for the Frozen Face Off will mean more NHL games in Wichita.
                    I really hope this draws a good attendance, as something like this really is a big deal, or could be.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Development plans in motion for vacant land in NE Wichita

On Thursday, the Metropolitan Area Planning Commission approved a request to change the zoning from limited industrial to general office for nearly 17 acres off of the northeast corner of 37th and Rock Road.
                      "If the requested zone change is approved, the applicant intends to develop the site with an apartment complex and office space," the MAPC meeting agenda report said.

Hudson said more details on the development plans should come later this year, assuming the re-zoning is finalized and the deal closes.

The zoning change now goes to the Wichita City Council for its consideration, likely in the fall.

Ascension Via Christi's office headquarters, Willowbend Golf Club and Central Plains Steel are among the site's neighbors. Further to the east-northeast is the expanding Webb Industrial Park.
                      Seems a bit of an odd spot for apartments. I haven't driven by that area in a while, but used to work over there. It will be interesting to see if this change is approved and then how it goes if it is. CPS has a fair amount of truck activity in and out of there. Maybe I'm just having a hard time truly visualizing where everything is located and the size of the area. Perhaps the apartments would be built far enough away that it wouldn't be an issue.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• It is mainly open space. There is a small AT&T building, The Inn at Tallgrass is back off of 37th. NetApp is across the street to the south. QT is on the NE corner. It does seem a little strange for apartments there. Seems like a more commercial area to me, not that I care one way or the other.
                        Go Shocks!

Comment

• WBJ - Kansas Food Bank gets more than $100K, a refrigerated truck from a pair of donations

The Kansas Food Bank got a boost last week from a pair of big-name companies, who have a presence in Wichita, in its work to address local food insecurity.

Bank of America announced Friday it had awarded $75,000 in grants to the Wichita-based nonprofit. Darden Restaurants — the company behind brands like Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse and Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen — listed the Kansas Food Bank as one of 10 U.S. food banks that will receive a gift that includes a refrigerated truck and $52,000.
                          Some much needed assistance to a great organization.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

WBJ - Development plans in motion for vacant land in NE Wichita

Seems a bit of an odd spot for apartments. I haven't driven by that area in a while, but used to work over there. It will be interesting to see if this change is approved and then how it goes if it is. CPS has a fair amount of truck activity in and out of there. Maybe I'm just having a hard time truly visualizing where everything is located and the size of the area. Perhaps the apartments would be built far enough away that it wouldn't be an issue.
                            Mixed use is all the rage and hip thing in the larger metro areas. Live, work, eat, shop all within walking distance of one another. This will be kind of a weak version of that, but still in the same zip code.

I was just down visiting my sister in Coppell, TX over labor day weekend (part of DFW). We went to eat and check out one of these areas. Was a greenfield, clean sheet development on a few hundred acres. Had offices, apartments, dining, an amphitheater, and other day-to-day services self-contained within its own little community setup in a grid. Like its own little downtown of three to say ten story buildings. All walk-able. Was interesting, if not a little gimmicky.

Comment

• I'm still not a fan of this, but it becomes more and more necessary as the Council continues to drag its feet on addressing the real needs of both convention space and the performing arts. The longer they wait to deal with that, the more need there is to throw money at Century II. And there's still a question as to what Century II will be once we finally do address conventions and performing arts. Both are continuing to be held back by Century II.

WBJ - City looks at 97 repairs for Century II, including $5M for blue roof

During its meeting Tuesday, the Council will vote whether to approve $9.9 million for projects taking place in 2023, including $6.5 million in ARPA funds and $3.4 million from the transient guest tax fund, which is supported by a 6% tax imposed on guests of hotels or other lodging facilities in Wichita.

Projects planned in 2023 total more than $9.9 million:
                              • Blue dome roof rehabilitation: $5 million
                              • Elevators and lifts code upgrades: $480,000
                              • Fire alarm system upgrades: $1,176,560
                              • Electrical upgrades: $330,515
                              • HVAC upgrades: $12,656
                              I suppose at least one member of the council understands the need for new and improved facilities at that Century II isn't the future

When the CIP was approved by the Council in August, including the $18 million for Century II, Council member Bryan Frye said he was supportive of the renovation efforts, but said he had reservations.

"I'm happy to see that this CIP addresses the deferred maintenance for the Century II round building," he said during the Aug. 23 meeting. "We have to keep that functional and operating while this community figures out a long-term plan for performing arts and conventions. I am not happy that we do nothing for our convention facilities in the CIP, and that is some low-hanging fruit.

"... I think as we go forward we're going to have to have serious discussions about our convention facilities and what is a plan for that going forward.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Mixed use is all the rage and hip thing in the larger metro areas. Live, work, eat, shop all within walking distance of one another. This will be kind of a weak version of that, but still in the same zip code.

I was just down visiting my sister in Coppell, TX over labor day weekend (part of DFW). We went to eat and check out one of these areas. Was a greenfield, clean sheet development on a few hundred acres. Had offices, apartments, dining, an amphitheater, and other day-to-day services self-contained within its own little community setup in a grid. Like its own little downtown of three to say ten story buildings. All walk-able. Was interesting, if not a little gimmicky.
                                I can fully get behind mixed use facilities when they make sense. This just isn't an area where that seems to make a lot of sense. Downtown? Makes a ton of sense. Delano? Makes a lot of sense. That area of 37th? Not really.

If they can prove me wrong, great. I admit that I'm not the greatest when it comes to seeing finished products before they at least get started.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X