Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Yes, over the weekend. To mitigate any potential gap risk on Monday. There was a mixture of technical and fundamental reasons behind my call. And as evidenced by the need for the market to retest that exact area TWICE over the ensuing 100 days (with two rather jarring 10% corrections) before continuing its climb, establishes the importance of that 3225'ish level.

Again, my call was for the weekend only, this is why I made mention of tax-deferred or qualified retirement accounts as they incur no tax penalty for selling and rebuying portfolios. Had someone asked me what to do in a taxable account, I would have given them hedging ideas on Friday that could be taken off on Monday. Perhaps shorting a couple E-mini futures contracts (each contract has a notational value of 50x the current SPX price - 3250*50=$162,500), or buying a couple SPX puts, net selling/buying some broken wing butterflies (for individual stocks with sufficient open interest), etc. etc. etc.

That's correct. You're conflating my two statements. The first indicated pulling out for TWO DAYS and seeing what Monday offered. It was a very important day at the time. The second comment was a general one and pertained to the OVERALL outlook for the next few months. It was a supporting statement of the first, but not a recommendation to leave the market for the foreseeable future. Regardless, "my" forecast was spot on as the market merely traded in a 350 pt. range over those next 100 days. It was the summer, we were at all-time highs, the pandemic had confirmed it was going to continue for much longer, and we had just nearly completely retraced a 35% market correction, which ended up being the shortest bear market in history (33 days). The risk reward for future gains in the near-term was not good.

What seemed like a mild recommendation at the time (to me), was perhaps far more complicated to the average investor and required much unpacking. I would say it is thoroughly unpacked now. Feel free to reach out for clarification sooner in the future!

P.S. As you know, I do enjoy the oft spirited debate. And if you thought it was difficult scoring points during Covid, fasten your seatbelt for finance my friend. You are unknowingly moving deep into my wheelhouse. We're going from Freshmen semester Gen. Ed., to post-grad dissertation territory very quickly.

Oooooh, I see.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I love watching a good triggered session. On a weekend too!
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Is Clod seriously still talking about Covid? I think we've moved on from this sham Clod.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          Is Clod seriously still talking about Covid? I think we've moved on from this sham Clod.
          Not much, but he is giving free investment advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Not much, but he is giving free investment advice.
            Which is less effective than masks.

Comment

• Double masked Kamala just tested positive, after receiving 4 covid shots

Comment

• The virus is important, because it's a virus. And we all need to mask, whether we've virused or not, because it's real, and it's important. To all Americans.

Comment

• Fauci says pandemic in US is over. But we shouldn’t change a thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    Double masked Kamala just tested positive, after receiving 4 covid shots

"Well you see, Covid is a big virus. And it lives next to a smaller virus. And Covid is bad and decides to invade the small virus..."

Comment

• J & J poke is dangerous....... the hell you say

Comment

• I keep hearing about how there is going to be another huge surge during the fall...

Comment

• Just in time for mid-terms. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make it a thing.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            Just in time for mid-terms. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make it a thing.
                            There's a surge right now in 48 states according to the news. Hospitalizations are up, and deaths down. It's about time for masks, 6' distancing, and work quarantines again. It worked so well last time.

Comment

• I didn't mind working from home. I do have a new puppy I can play with while I work.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                I didn't mind working from home. I do have a new puppy I can play with while I work.
                                So quarantine's work.

Comment

Working...
                                X