Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

If I’m 90, I’m not sure I get vaccinated. I suppose it depends on my health, but generally speaking, if you’ve got a good thing going, don’t mess it up!
    How about 83? Just checking as we go along.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      The coronavirus vaccinations are now available to anyone 83 years or older in Sedgwick County.
      Those are now all booked.

Sedgwick County COVID-19 vaccine phase 2 appointments booked at this time (ksn.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

How about 83? Just checking as we go along.
        At my current age, I’m taking it. In my “youthful” ignorance, it think there might be a point in my life where I say **** it.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Fauci: 'We need to assume now' that British virus strain can 'cause more damage'

“When the British investigators looked more closely at the death rate of a certain age group, they found that it was one per thousand ... and then it went up to 1.3 per thousand in a certain group,” Fauci added. “That’s a significant increase. So the most recent data is in accord with what the Brits are saying. We want to look at the data ourselves, but we have every reason to believe them. They’re a very competent group.”

Fauci went on to say Americans “need to assume now that what has been circulating dominantly in the U.K. does have a certain increase in what we call virulence, namely the power of the virus to cause more damage, including death.”

Fauci separately addressed another strain believed to have originated in South Africa, saying that “in some cases [the strain] diminishes the efficacy of the vaccine” but that the vaccine was still generally effective.
          This is unfortunate but not totally unexpected. When you have 10's of millions of people hosting the virus in their own personal bodily laboratories, you are going to get mutations. It's only a matter of time before something comes out of the oven a bit "hotter". The timing is impeccable. It's almost as if the virus can "sense" that we have a vaccine and are rushing to distribute it. Maybe a coincidence, or not...

I've heard boosters may become available soon to deal with more vaccine-resistant strains. Make no mistake, we are at war.

Comment

• What If You Never Get Better From Covid-19?

Some patients could be living with the aftereffects for years to come. Recent research into another persistent, mysterious disease might help us understand how to treat them.

Hundreds of patients, most of them women, showed up soon after the center’s doors opened. To the doctors’ surprise, however, many of them had experienced only mild cases of Covid-19. They hadn’t been hospitalized. They were relatively young and otherwise in good health, without the underlying conditions like obesity and diabetes that are known to make Covid-19 worse. And yet, months after their bodies had seemingly fought off the coronavirus, they still felt quite ill. “We’ve heard of illnesses, viral illnesses, that have a prolonged postviral phase,” Zijian Chen, the head of Mount Sinai’s recovery center, told me. “But these usually don’t last for the months and months that we see here. And because of that, we’re a little surprised that this is happening. It tells us how much we don’t know about this illness.” The center has now seen more than 1,600 patients.

These patients have labeled themselves “Covid long-haulers.” What they’re suffering from, they say, is “long Covid.” As a group, they report a strange hodgepodge of symptoms, including fatigue, pain, shortness of breath, light sensitivity, exercise intolerance, insomnia, hearts that race inexplicably, diarrhea and cramping, memory problems and a debilitating “brain fog” that can at times make it hard to put a cogent sentence together. In many cases, these symptoms continue unabated from the acute phase of the illness — as if, on some level, the infection never really went away. And for a subset of patients, new symptoms emerge later, as if a different illness has established itself in their bodies.
            And THIS aptly encapsulates what I predicted long ago. Game theory dictates that you cannot act boldly in the face of an unknown opponent.

Death... is not the only bad outcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/m...ereffects.html

What If You Never Get Better From Covid-19?

Some patients could be living with the aftereffects for years to come. Recent research into another persistent, mysterious disease might help us understand how to treat them.

And THIS aptly encapsulates what I predicted long ago. Game theory dictates that you cannot act boldly in the face of an unknown opponent.

Death... is not the only bad outcome.
              What’s the statistical population size of patients that present with long term illness vs let’s say depression or fibromyalgia?
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Can I get a MS Paint Trend check on the latest case numbers in the US and locally? Can’t seem to find anything about it now in the news.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Can I get a MS Paint Trend check on the latest case numbers in the US and locally? Can’t seem to find anything about it now in the news.
                  They’re going down. But we will not know if it’s due to the 100 mask challenge, the virus running its coarse, the vaccine, herd immunity, or changes in testing protocol to decrease sensitivity.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

They’re going down. But we will not know if it’s due to the 100 mask challenge, the virus running its coarse, the vaccine, herd immunity, or changes in testing protocol to decrease sensitivity.
                    New US Cases Fall For 9 Straight Days; Drop Not Due To Vaccines, Fauci Says | Kaiser Health News (khn.org)

Comment

What it isn't:
                      • Virus has run its course.
                      • Herd immunity has not been achieved.
                      • Changes in testing protocol, if any, would be to spread the net wider, more than more narrowly. At least that's what I'm picking up in the new political appointments in interviews. Seems like when I see those people on TV, they are talking about more surveillance and testing, which, unless I'm a contrarian, would tend to increase the number of cases.
                      What it is:
                      • Masking up
                      • Social distancing
                      • Rate of transmission in communities concerning people so much they are shutting down.
                      What it could be:
                      • People in positions of leadership and authority modeling behaviors (such as masking and social distancing) that cut down on transmission
                      • Leadership expressing concerns regarding the pandemic, which draws media focus.
                      I'm sure I left something off this list, but I think itr's pretty accurate. Anyone disagreeing bring facts and data.

Comment

• There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

What it isn't:
                          • Changes in testing protocol, if any, would be to spread the net wider, more than more narrowly. At least that's what I'm picking up in the new political appointments in interviews. Seems like when I see those people on TV, they are talking about more surveillance and testing, which, unless I'm a contrarian, would tend to increase the number of cases.
                          What it is:
                          • Masking up
                          • Social distancing
                          • Rate of transmission in communities concerning people so much they are shutting down.
                          What it could be:
                          • People in positions of leadership and authority modeling behaviors (such as masking and social distancing) that cut down on transmission
                          • Leadership expressing concerns regarding the pandemic, which draws media focus.
                          I'm sure I left something off this list, but I think itr's pretty accurate. Anyone disagreeing bring facts and data.
                          Without data it’s just another opinion. Really nothing to discuss here until you “bring facts and data” that support your opinion. At this point your opinion holds no more weight than anyone who wants to post a dissenting opinion without “bringing facts and data”.

Comment

• I think the most important thing is early data showing vaccines are knocking this thing out. How fast to 300,000,000 doses?
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

[/LIST]What it could be:
                              LOLLLLLL!!!!! Good one...

You mean like this?

Comment

What it isn't:
                                What it is:
                                • Masking up
                                • Social distancing
                                What it could be:
                                You’re wrong about the testing. They have changed it to decrease sensitivity and increase accuracy. You’re a contrarian.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X