Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

We have reasons to be extra diligent -- and it's none of your business.
    Ahhhh. Other risk factors. Well if you would have at least stated that, I wouldn't have become ensnared in your net. :P

My apologies.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Where have you been the last 7 months as I have been dutifully educating the local membership on risks, procedures, and outcomes? I have a friend who is still without the majority of her taste and smell. She was infected like 4 months ago? Seems like a small thing, but it could be a life changer for some. I'm much more concerned about other long-lasting issues.
      Why, I've been goin to work and livin my life........

Comment

Talk about your low-probability risks. Do you guys wear helmets in case of meteorite strikes when you go outdoors too? :P

There's plenty of critical care available in Wichita at the moment. They are constantly adapting, converting wings, bringing in outside personnel as needed.
        Ah yes....the magic hospital bed trick. I've noticed that down here. We were at capacity with over 400 in the ICU, now we are down to about 100, but the ICU utilization rate is roughly the same. Not as bad, but roughly the same with ventilators. We are being told there is currently capacity for about 200, but if we had a sudden spike, the number of ventilators rises magically. I think they have 2 capacities.....a BAU capacity and an 'all hands on deck' surge capacity, but they do not advertise is as such.

And one other note.....our municipality here made traveling nurses 'essentially illegal' after we had one who went to about 3 different hospitals and critical care facilities and 'shared her gift' with everyone.

One thing about it, I'm sure glad I am not an administrator of one of these facilities, it would get stressful trying to triage this stuff after having to deal with it for a few months.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

And one other note.....our municipality here made traveling nurses 'essentially illegal' after we had one who went to about 3 different hospitals and critical care facilities and 'shared her gift' with everyone.
          Talk about short sighted decisions. Why in the world would they do that? Assuming that your information is correct (and frankly I don't, for many, many reasons) and that one nurse infected 3 separate hospital patient/staff (which again, I work with a lot of traveling nurses and I've only seen 1 work at 2 hospitals at one time so I question the validity of your statement here) why not just change the criteria? Clearly they need extra help. Just make it so that the nurse only works at the one hospital. The best answer cannot be that "we need help" but we aren't going to get it and our patients and staff will just have to suffer. It makes no sense.

Comment

Where have you been the last 7 months as I have been dutifully educating the local membership on risks, procedures, and outcomes? I have a friend who is still without the majority of her taste and smell. She was infected like 4 months ago? Seems like a small thing, but it could be a life changer for some. I'm much more concerned about other long-lasting issues.
            Well if she's friends with you it's clear her crap detector isn't working.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Talk about short sighted decisions. Why in the world would they do that? Assuming that your information is correct (and frankly I don't, for many, many reasons) and that one nurse infected 3 separate hospital patient/staff (which again, I work with a lot of traveling nurses and I've only seen 1 work at 2 hospitals at one time so I question the validity of your statement here) why not just change the criteria? Clearly they need extra help. Just make it so that the nurse only works at the one hospital. The best answer cannot be that "we need help" but we aren't going to get it and our patients and staff will just have to suffer. It makes no sense.
              After thinking about (and reading) the context of your statement, I agree with you. It wouldn't make sense to not use traveling nurses, but there should be some restrictions to protect the public. In this case, the nurses were working at multiple locations - in this case there was one nurse (in this group) who worked at 3 different locations when they were contagious and made people sick in all three. This happened occurred early in April. The person in question almost had to be working one day at rehab hospital x, the next day at y, and the third day at a surgical center (I've been told, but I don't know that the magic corridor is three days for spreading the virus when symptoms set in). There have been weekly (sometimes multiple times per week) changes in the orders, I believe probably rescinded or modified the order that followed this article and our local news media did not publicize it. Here is a quote from an article from one of our local TV stations:

“Of the eight staff members who are COVID positive, we know that two of them worked in other facilities," Hood said. “And the staff members who have not been tested, we know they worked in at least 7 facilities in the city. That number is going to grow as we interview staff members.”

This occurred at a rehab hospital where roughly 80 people got sick and there were multiple deaths. The second outbreak was at a sister rehab hospital owned by the same company (one death, IIRC) and the third was a surgical center with less than 5 cases.

When our city/county leaders found this out, they clamped down hard.

Comment

Talk about your low-probability risks. Do you guys wear helmets in case of meteorite strikes when you go outdoors too? :P

There's plenty of critical care available in Wichita at the moment. They are constantly adapting, converting wings, bringing in outside personnel as needed.
                In May or June, there was a contingency in Wichita to double the capacity for Covid only cases. I think it was around 160 or 260 beds at the ready. The ventilators are available if needed. The staffing is always questionable, but usually they have a plan for that.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• So the news says 25 million doses in the first wave for the U.S. for the Phizer vaccine. It has to be stored at an extremely cold temperature.

Most of us won't be able to get vaccinated until early summer. I smell supply chain issues related to a) ramping production up and b) keeping the product stable. I'm hope I'm wrong, but I'm skeptical.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
                    So the news says 25 million doses in the first wave for the U.S. for the Phizer vaccine. It has to be stored at an extremely cold temperature.

Most of us won't be able to get vaccinated until early summer. I smell supply chain issues related to a) ramping production up and b) keeping the product stable. I'm hope I'm wrong, but I'm skeptical.
                    In 2020, there will be 50 million doses, 2 doses per patient, 25 million patients treated. This is down from projections in the spring to have 100 million doses by years end.

1.3 billion doses in 2021. Expect the vaccine to become widely available beginning in March/April.

The cryogenic freezing is a logistical problem that has to be solved. Pfizer has been in negotiations with transportation companies, warehouses, and pharmacies for several months now. I expect the supply chain issues to be resolved about one month after large scale launch.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

In 2020, there will be 50 million doses, 2 doses per patient, 25 million patients treated. This is down from projections in the spring to have 100 million doses by years end.

1.3 billion doses in 2021. Expect the vaccine to become widely available beginning in March/April.

The cryogenic freezing is a logistical problem that has to be solved. Pfizer has been in negotiations with transportation companies, warehouses, and pharmacies for several months now. I expect the supply chain issues to be resolved about one month after large scale launch.
                      wufan are these numbers only domestic production, or are some, or any, of these 1.3 billion doses slated for 2021 earmarked for other countries? At 1.3 billion, that's 650 million patients treated or roughly twice our population (I guess I answered my own question lol) so many of the 1.3 billion doses do you expect will be domestic ?

And we have at least 3 other companies in 3rd stage testing also, correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

wufan are these numbers only domestic production, or are some, or any, of these 1.3 billion doses slated for 2021 earmarked for other countries? At 1.3 billion, that's 650 million patients treated or roughly twice our population (I guess I answered my own question lol) so many of the 1.3 billion doses do you expect will be domestic ?

And we have at least 3 other companies in 3rd stage testing also, correct?
                        That’s worldwide. I don’t know what the US distribution will be, but the US gets first dibs on whatever quantity was preordered (I was thinking it was 50 million treatments).

We’ve already had 10 million confirmed cases, and maybe 50% of people will get the vaccine, so gotta figure it will be about 150 million patients or 300 mill total units if Pfizer is the sole supplier (and they won’t be).

There are two dozen or more companies working in a vaccine. Several are in stage 3 testing, but I’m not sure which ones are in the US.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• My folks did decide to get tested and they came up positive. Now 9 of the 10 that thought they had it have been confirmed, with one having not been tested.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

That’s worldwide. I don’t know what the US distribution will be, but the US gets first dibs on whatever quantity was preordered (I was thinking it was 50 million treatments).

We’ve already had 10 million confirmed cases, and maybe 50% of people will get the vaccine, so gotta figure it will be about 150 million patients or 300 mill total units if Pfizer is the sole supplier (and they won’t be).

There are two dozen or more companies working in a vaccine. Several are in stage 3 testing, but I’m not sure which ones are in the US.
                            I just don't see 150 million people in the US taking it.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I just don't see 150 million people in the US taking it.
                              That was just kind of an estimate for getting half the US population vaccinated. No idea what’s projected or what will be.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

thanks for the update, I hope you are right and I hope the vaccine is widely available early next year.

Some people grew beards to protest the pandemic, I grew my hair. It's pretty darn shaggy right now, and I'm already looking forward to cutting it. Not only that, I want to get back to the office, though I have a whole bunch of fires and other interruptions today (which means I am more productive at home).

The only thing that has drawn me here today is the news about Coach Marshall. I feel bad about that. And although it is not related to this thread, I hope to hell we don't hire Manning (CBS sports is reporting we have reached out to him). He did not do a great job at Tulsa and he obviously didn't do so hot at Wake. I think we can do better.....

Comment

Working...
                                X