Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

As hospitals around Wisconsin, including the north-central region, see an increase in the number of patients hospitalized with COVID-19, doctors are beginning to see some commonalities in patients reactions to the disease. Though it is a wide spectrum of reactions, and doctors still have questions.

Critical care doctors seeing more blood clotting after COVID-19 acute illness

SINGAPORE: Doctors at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) have successfully treated a COVID-19 patient who developed a blood clot in the aorta and was at risk of losing his toes or leg. The medical team later became the first in the world to publish research on the topic. The patient, a 39-ye

Doctors from TTSH successfully treat 'unusual case' of blood clot in artery of COVID-19 patient

"Peculiar And Unexpected" Lung Damage Found In The Autopsies Of Covid-19 Patients

https://news.emory.edu/stories/2020/...and%20clotting.

Emory doctors study link between thickness of blood, clotting and inflammation in COVID-19 patients

There is a mechanism for this, which is why it is neither unusual, nor common, both of which are nonspecific terms.

Now, a blood clot in the Aorta? That is rare and unusual.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Why get tested?
      6 of the 8 people in my family were tested. They were all told to take Tylenol as needed and to quarantine for a period of 7-14 days (time varied based on geographical location).

The other two in my family that are ill are self-diagnosed as they both spiked a fever within 48 hours of the confirmed tests. They decided not to get tested since they knew the treatment.

Two of the six people that work for me were tested and confirmed. Another is symptomatic and awaiting results. The other three are symptom free, but car pool two hours per day with the sick individual.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Yeah the no taste/smell thing is pretty much a smoking gun. 75% experience that.
        You mean you couldn’t even smell a cow pattie in the hot Texas sun?

Comment

• Just think if you impose a mask mandate from the beginning and have bars and restaurants shut down for the last 2/3 weeks like they have in Illinois, you too could be the #1 state in cases and deaths.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

You mean you couldn’t even smell a cow pattie in the hot Texas sun?
            No. I am gonna head out later and test that theory tho.

Comment

• Contact tracing can make sense to flatten the curve, but if you know anything about graph theory then you realize when the exponential nature of the virus sufficiently hits a population, you may as just well enter the phone book into your database. Sedgwick County has hit that tipping point. Contact tracing is worthless at this point in time.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Contact tracing can make sense to flatten the curve, but if you know anything about graph theory then you realize when the exponential nature of the virus sufficiently hits a population, you may as just well enter the phone book into your database. Sedgwick County has hit that tipping point. Contact tracing is worthless at this point in time.
                Two of my presumed positive chemists that were asymptomatic came back with negative test results. The company is forcing them to quarantine for two weeks anyways.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  Why get tested?
                  Yeah I went through the low grade fever, some tiredness and then loss of smell last week. People are asking me why I don't get tested - what is the use? Am I going to act any different? Be (NOT) treated medically any different?

Comment

Contact tracing can make sense to flatten the curve, but if you know anything about graph theory then you realize when the exponential nature of the virus sufficiently hits a population, you may as just well enter the phone book into your database. Sedgwick County has hit that tipping point. Contact tracing is worthless at this point in time.
                    This isn't about contact tracing as much as it is about ensuring accuracy with the metrics that need to be monitored from afar - in order to avoid facing the very same scenario we were all worried about back in March. We are NOT out of the woods. Not by a long shot.

We are also not at the point of no return. We are a long ways from maximum acceleration on the curve. And this city will be totally locked down long before that happens or we will face massive deaths in our community.

So yeah, it helps to take your test and help keep the positivity rate accurate. This is our leading indicator. Hospitalizations are lagging and way too late to react. If we were to hit a "lilly pad" scenario (a video you should watch again), the date of our healthcare system's collapse would be set in stone and there would be nothing anybody could do about it (besides start shipping the sick to another part of the country if possible).

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Yeah I went through the low grade fever, some tiredness and then loss of smell last week. People are asking me why I don't get tested - what is the use? Am I going to act any different? Be (NOT) treated medically any different?
                      "What's the use of getting tested, am I going to act any different?" Those are the words of a child SB, you're supposed to be a scientist. Our response is data driven. Your infection is important data.

Make no mistake about it, lives are at stake.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

There is a mechanism for this, which is why it is neither unusual, nor common, both of which are nonspecific terms.

Now, a blood clot in the Aorta? That is rare and unusual.
                        Here's another interesting article on that same vein:

COVID-19 can cause symptoms that go well beyond the lungs, from strokes to organ failure. To explain these widespread injuries, researchers are studying how the virus affects the vascular system.

Clots, Strokes And Rashes. Is COVID-19 A Disease Of The Blood Vessels?

Whether it's strange rashes on the toes or blood clots in the brain, the widespread ravages of COVID-19 have increasingly led researchers to focus on how the novel coronavirus sabotages the body's blood vessels.

As scientists have come to know the disease better, they have homed in on the vascular system — the body's network of arteries, veins and capillaries, stretching more than 60,000 miles — to understand this wide-ranging disease and to find treatments that can stymie its most pernicious effects.

Some of the earliest insights into how COVID-19 can act like a vascular disease came from studying the aftermath of the most serious infections. Those reveal that the virus warps a critical piece of our vascular infrastructure: the single layer of cells lining the inside of every blood vessel, known as the endothelial cells or simply the endothelium.

Dr. William Li, a vascular biologist, compares this lining to a freshly resurfaced ice skating rink before a hockey game on which the players and pucks glide smoothly along.

"When the virus damages the inside of the blood vessel and shreds the lining, that's like the ice after a hockey game," says Li, a researcher and founder of the Angiogenesis Foundation. "You wind up with a situation that is really untenable for blood flow."
                        In a study published this summer, Li and an international team of researchers compared the lung tissues of people who died from COVID-19 with those who died from influenza.

They found stark differences: The lung tissues of COVID-19 patients had nine times as many tiny blood clots ("microthrombi'') compared with those of the influenza patients, and the coronavirus-infected lungs also exhibited "severe endothelial injury."
                        It's already known that the coronavirus breaks into cells by way of a specific receptor, called ACE2, which is found all over the body. But scientists are still trying to understand how the virus sets off a cascade of events that cause so much destruction to blood vessels. Li says one theory is that the virus directly attacks endothelial cells. Lab experiments have shown that the coronavirus can infect engineered human endothelial cells.

It's also possible the problems begin elsewhere, and the endothelial cells sustain collateral damage along the way as the immune system reacts — and sometimes overreacts — to the invading virus.
                        The flu... this ain't.

Comment

We are also not at the point of no return. We are a long ways from maximum acceleration on the curve. And this city will be totally locked down long before that happens or we will face massive deaths in our community.
                          One out of every five people tested in Sedgwick County are resulting in a positive.

I would strongly advise at-risk folks to stay home at this time and minimize contact for the next few weeks. Many won't (or can't) because of months and months of cry-wolf fatigue and exhausted resources.

The danger is no longer Covid. If your non-at-risk family gets in a car wreck, and God forbid one of you puncture a lung -- there are ZERO ICU beds available for you. The risk in Sedgwick County now extends well beyond Covid.

Comment

"What's the use of getting tested, am I going to act any different?" Those are the words of a child SB, you're supposed to be a scientist. Our response is data driven. Your infection is important data.

Make no mistake about it, lives are at stake.
                            There is no additional data needed at this time, other than ICU hospital beds available, which is ZERO.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Two of my presumed positive chemists that were asymptomatic came back with negative test results. The company is forcing them to quarantine for two weeks anyways.
                              Quarantining after close contact with a positive is still sound strategy. Plus, many of these tests still produce false positives/negatives.

This is not a time to throw our hands up and say, oh well... We've all seen the serology studies. Hardly anybody has been infected yet. The power keg is still mostly full. The vaccine is just around the corner.

Speaking of vaccines:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covi...infection.html

HEALTH AND SCIENCE
                              Pfizer, BioNTech say Covid vaccine is more than 90% effective—‘great day for science and humanity’
                              It's a great day!

Comment

One out of every five people tested in Sedgwick County are resulting in a positive.

I would strongly advise at-risk folks to stay home at this time and minimize contact for the next few weeks. Many won't (or can't) because of months and months of cry-wolf fatigue and exhausted resources.

The danger is no longer Covid. If your non-at-risk family gets in a car wreck, and God forbid one of you puncture a lung -- there are ZERO ICU beds available for you. The risk in Sedgwick County now extends well beyond Covid.
                                I think NYC hit 40%. We have a ways to go, but yeah... close down the ****ing bars and restaurants for a few weeks seems like a rational thought.

The thing going for our town is lack of population density. We are hicksville + urban sprawl. All we need to do is close bars, restaurants, churches, and go back to enforcing reduced capacity in the stores for a few weeks and we'll see the positivity rate stabilize.

I personally still feel quite safe with my KN95's.

Comment

Working...
                                X