Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Set a record for the number of new cases nationally today. Positive test rates in FL have passed 25%. Texas is right at 10% positive in their testing.

Increased testing is quite often showing higher infection rates than before testing rates were increased. The logical conclusion is that previous testing was under estimating the overall infection rate, rather than the increase in the number of infections is solely based on testing more people.

Houston is at 97% of their ICU capacity and their infection numbers and rates are rising.

I'm aware that 90 - 95% of the people who read this thread are solid supporters of Republican party goals. If you want to keep Trump in office and maintain a majority in the Senate, please send a message to Trump that you will support him financially and support Republican senators financially if he will change his stance on mitigation efforts including wearing masks.

As long as this virus is spreading through the country, Trump's re-election chances are slim. Republican operatives and Trump should be doing everythimg in their power and bringing the full force of the Federal government to slow the spread of the virus. As long as the virus is active, the economy will not recover.
    You were doing great until you made it about Trump.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Increasing cases do not mean jack! Get back to me when deaths start increasing. Deaths have been declining here in CA since April. Cases have "spiked" because of the protests and because of increased testing (particularly of patients going to see doctors or hospitals because of other elective reasons).
      WHAT!!!! Maybe it is time to think before you comment - increasing cases means - MORE CARRIERS

Comment

• Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post

WHAT!!!! Maybe it is time to think before you comment - increasing cases means - MORE CARRIERS
        Deaths are a lagging indicator. Not trying to insult anyone, but if you are in IT, you should really study KRI's and KPI's (like you would have in an IT department) and identify the leading/lagging indicators. If I can do it, it is n't that hard.

Comment

• I moved the political posts to the political thread. With the potential for coronavirus to go back into a growth phase in Kansas and Sedgwick County, I want to go back to removing most of the politics from this thread.

Comment

So far increased cases have been a result of more MILD cases being counted that wouldn't have been counted before. Randomly testing populations has ruined the ability to monitor coronavirus growth patterns by positive test case numbers. You now have to look at hospitalizations and normalized reproduction numbers. Even percent positive tests aren't great, because they can also be substantially skewed due to mild cases being counted that wouldn't have been before -- but they are definitely better indicators than raw case numbers.

Comment

• Livin the dream

Comment

• "Masks without social distancing are worthless" - Some statements made on here are just crazy, and made with no thought. Masks do stop the majority of the spread from the infected person. The infected person is the most important one that really should wear the mask but masks also help the non infected. If we all would wear the mask the spread would drastically decrease. Why the big hang-up on wearing a mask.
                Last edited by B1ShockFan; June 27, 2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• It's interesting how the Scientists that I see in the public from the CDC and other Health agencies (including Dr. Fauci) say that social distancing trumps wearing a mask, but this picture doesn't show these scientists doing that (they are shoulder to shoulder with no space between them). Also Keith Werner doesn't mention that in his statement below the picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Mask wearing is a policy program, not a science program. The politicians are begging you to wear masks, not the scientists. Masks without social distancing are worthless. Social distancing without masks is not. You’re starting with an assumption that X is true and attributing the failure of X to an unrelated cause.

6000+ attended the indoor George Floyd memorial in Houston. Is that all about Trump? Why did the “scientists” say that protests were more important than the virus? Maybe it’s because they are political partisans?

Trump has offered assistance to quell the violence, but hasn’t marched the troops in. He signed an executive order banning choke holds. He’s in favor of police reform. What way did you want him involved? Should he have marched with the protestors, avoiding social distancing guidelines like the democrats?

Democrats are like the NCAA. They’re so mad at Trump that they tear down statues of Washington, Jefferson, and Grant.
                    You missed a zero, it was 60,000.

Comment

"Masks without social distancing are worthless" - Some statements made on here are just crazy, and made with no thought. Masks do stop the majority of the spread from the infected person. The infected person is the most important one that really should wear the mask but masks also help the non infected. If we all would wear the mask the spread would drastically decrease. Why the big hang-up on wearing a mask.
                      Because it’s not based on science. I have thought about this. I have read dozens of scientific papers and policy statements. If new evidence comes out, I will change my tune. Science is never decided, so it’s possible I’m wrong. There is some science that backs up wearing masks and some that does not. Evidence is mounting that asymptomatic spread of the disease is rare. If you are sick at all, stay the eff home and you don’t have to worry about the mask.

If we wouldn’t allow 10s of thousands to protest, the spread would drastically decrease. Why the big hang up on not wearing a mask?
                      Last edited by wufan; June 27, 2020, 09:26 AM.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

You missed a zero, it was 60,000.
                        6300 was the number of indoor mourners in Houston according to ABC. 6900 was the number of indoor supporters of Trump in Tulsa according to ABC.

Om okay with equal blame. I’m not okay with one resulting in killing the citizens of this country and one saving lives. They are equally causal to whatever degree.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Nm
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Those mild cases that are now being found that weren't previously found, and those cases being found without symptoms are important. Those are the people who are spreading the virus. Sick people stay home. People with mild or no symptoms go out and spread the virus. Finding those people is critical.

If the case counts now are higher because mild cases are being found, then earlier case counts were lower than the actual number of people spreading the virus.

If you want to stop the spread, knowing who is spreading the virus is more important than knowing who's sick. Sick people tend to self-quarantine because they feel like **** and aren't inclined to go bar hopping.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

6300 was the number of indoor mourners in Houston according to ABC. 6900 was the number of indoor supporters of Trump in Tulsa according to ABC.

Om okay with equal blame. I’m not okay with one resulting in killing the citizens of this country and one saving lives. They are equally causal to whatever degree.
                              I agree. I'm on lockdown. I have a bunch of friends on lockdown. I am a PITA about both masks and social distancing and thus agree with your proposition, except I would say, given my personal contexting and view, that this falls into the stupid category. On both counts.

And the number I was quoting was from the largest outdoor demonstration. A couple who are friends and both have asthma (and live in Houston) were pointing this out and all I could do was shake my head in amazement.

For historical reference, so see what happened in Philly after the parade in 1918 during the flu pandemic. That little stunt killed 10,000 people.

But yes, agree that anyone organizing large outdoor gatherings these days is a little short of a full load (as are the participants). I wish EVERYONE would knock it off, because someone(s) go to those events, and spread it during the time they are asymptomatic.

At least they closed the bars, though, I suspect between the protests and the bar traffic, this is what has caused our resurgence down here. And I believe that there will be (at least a few) needless death(s). I may be sympathetic to the Floyd protesters, but not to the point where I'm risking my life.
                              Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; June 27, 2020, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                Those mild cases that are now being found that weren't previously found, and those cases being found without symptoms are important. Those are the people who are spreading the virus. Sick people stay home. People with mild or no symptoms go out and spread the virus. Finding those people is critical.

If the case counts now are higher because mild cases are being found, then earlier case counts were lower than the actual number of people spreading the virus.

If you want to stop the spread, knowing who is spreading the virus is more important than knowing who's sick. Sick people tend to self-quarantine because they feel like **** and aren't inclined to go bar hopping.
                                Saying that the problem is totally related to asymptomatic spread is a little wishful, as (at least where I am) all you have to do is look at the large increases in hospital admissions and you immediately know it's not just 'more testing is catching those cases'.

Comment

Working...
                                X