Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'D' word rears head as coronavirus-hit markets brace for recession

Comment

• Here is an excellent article with really cool simulations on "if we do nothing", "forced quarantine", "moderate social distancing", and "extensive social distancing". Very cool:

The early trickle of new coronavirus infections has turned into a steady current. By creating simple simulations, we can see how to slow it down.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
        100% just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt....

I live in NC, and it's being reported by the local newspaper that there are only 1700 tests available (as of yesterday). I'm about 90% sure I had the virus-- fever, coughing, lungs hurt, aches, fatigue. I'm relatively young, so I got over it in a matter of a few days, but I suspect there are many people like me out there. There are reports of people calling their doctors, only to be told, "Yea, you probably have the virus, but you don't qualify for the test because 1- You haven't been in contact with anyone known to have the virus, 2- You're not old enough, 3- Your fever isn't high enough."

I think a lot of people have this virus, it's going to last into the summer months, and the market is going to go substantially lower.
        This is correct. My son-in-law's brother lives in NYC. He had symptoms and called his MD. He was told he probably had it, self-quarenteen, but that he had to be over 55 to be tested at this time.
        Go Shocks!

Comment

• Everybody that calls in "probably has it". That's the best way for the medical community to convince you to stay your ass in your home while you are sick, regardless what you have -- which is where you should be unless you are really, really ill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Everybody that calls in "probably has it". That's the best way for the medical community to convince you to stay your ass in your home while you are sick, regardless what you have -- which is where you should be unless you are really, really ill.
            I get that, but it makes the numbers being thrown out there erroneous.

Comment

I get that, but it makes the numbers being thrown out there erroneous.
              What number are you mostly concerned about?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

What number are you mostly concerned about?
                The overall number of people infected. I think this, “Currently, 200,000 confirmed cases,” trope is doing a disservice to the severity of the issue. I think millions of people are infected. If people heard that number rather than 200,000, I think they would be much more willing to self-quarantine.

Comment

• Yesterday in Reno, KS, a 30 something healthy male called his doctor. He was tested for the Influenza B, which came back positive. Had he tested negative for the flu, he was told they would test him for Coronavirus.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

The overall number of people infected. I think this, “Currently, 200,000 confirmed cases,” trope is doing a disservice to the severity of the issue. I think millions of people are infected. If people heard that number rather than 200,000, I think they would be much more willing to self-quarantine.
                    If the case is that so many more are infected, then the mortality rate shrinks to below flu levels, and we should stop with the quarantine and get back to business as usual.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

If the case is that so many more are infected, then the mortality rate shrinks to below flu levels, and we should stop with the quarantine and get back to business as usual.
                      Not necessarily! You’re operating under the assumption that all those dying are being tested—again, I think there is an overall lack of testing going on. I’m healthy as an ox, and I know I had this thing.

Comment

I’m healthy as an ox, and I know I had this thing.
                        LOL.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

LOL.
                          Sounded my age there, I suppose.

Comment

Exactly. And honestly there probably is some truth to it. Essentially, this could be another strand of flu going around making it a "more severe flu" season but nothing like the apocalypse.

Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Not necessarily! You’re operating under the assumption that all those dying are being tested—again, I think there is an overall lack of testing going on. I’m healthy as an ox, and I know I had this thing.
                              How do you know you didn't have the flu?
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

How do you know you didn't have the flu?
                                I suppose it coulda have been, but I think that's kinda the point? I- like many people- are being dismissed without a test.

Comment

Working...
                                X