No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh yeah I almost forgot... a few weeks ago I came up with the solution to the crisis in our country. It's so simple. Every single person needs to wear a mask when they are around other people until this virus is snuffed out. No vaccines, no therapies, no overflowing morgues. People underestimate the airborne qualities of viruses in general. The mask protects the infector as well as the infectee. Case closed. Everybody's back to work and fairly safe (wash your hands please - that's half the battle).

Of course restaurants are fkd for the foreseable future but there's no reason that with adequate space they cannot set up tents in common areas and serve outdoors. Old Chicago downtown setting up a tent in the grassy area comes immediately to mind. But people cannot be inside restaurants with other people without their masks on (without a vaccine) or this is likely to blow up bigger than before.

A few millions bucks to the guy that invents a mask with some type of rubber self-sealing port for straw usage. Go get it.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
      Does anyone believe that China doesn’t belong on this list?
      In China the proletariat are considered 1/10th of a human being so ...

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Fast forwarding a tad and hitting a quick pause on the current discussion, does anybody worry about the flooding of hand sanitizer and other disinfectants throughout this event to where we basically are living in a much sterile environment than before? Are there going to be any potential side effects to the constant barrage of hand sanitizer and washing of hands after every pivot of the right foot? Even the wearing of masks to a certain extent..? Wasn't our immune system designed to be tested? What happens after a prolonged period of not being tested? What's the point of having an immune system then? I'm not saying we should just go back to complete normal right now but has anybody else thought this out? Is there any middle ground? My hands feel like they're about to shrivel up and die with all of the alcohol sitting on them. Are there any potential negatives to just the physical process on the hands? And then what about the overall use in regards to the immune system and body?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I'm seeing reports out of Washington that are saying 3,000 deaths per day in June. I'm seeing reports out of the CDC that say 500,000 deaths before this is over. I'm aware that everything now is just speculation.

I have to go grocery shopping about once a week. I'll say this for sure. I'm wearing a mask. Not to protect me - to protect you.

If you're not wearing a mask, your breath can kill me and my mask won't protect me from that.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            Fast forwarding a tad and hitting a quick pause on the current discussion, does anybody worry about the flooding of hand sanitizer and other disinfectants throughout this event to where we basically are living in a much sterile environment than before? Are there going to be any potential side effects to the constant barrage of hand sanitizer and washing of hands after every pivot of the right foot? Even the wearing of masks to a certain extent..? Wasn't our immune system designed to be tested? What happens after a prolonged period of not being tested? What's the point of having an immune system then? I'm not saying we should just go back to complete normal right now but has anybody else thought this out? Is there any middle ground? My hands feel like they're about to shrivel up and die with all of the alcohol sitting on them. Are there any potential negatives to just the physical process on the hands? And then what about the overall use in regards to the immune system and body?
            I don’t think there’s any legit concern here. Look at scrub nurses. 40 hours a week of being aseptic and hand washing. Some skin irritation, dry cracked hands, acne ware your mask sits. On the herd immunity aspect, of a mask and social distancing protects you, then you don’t need herd immunity. You will rarely get sick. If it doesn’t, well then you will get to test your immunity.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              I'm seeing reports out of Washington that are saying 3,000 deaths per day in June. I'm seeing reports out of the CDC that say 500,000 deaths before this is over. I'm aware that everything now is just speculation.

I have to go grocery shopping about once a week. I'll say this for sure. I'm wearing a mask. Not to protect me - to protect you.

If you're not wearing a mask, your breath can kill me and my mask won't protect me from that.
              No reason to virtue signal. Masks work both ways. The gov and media intentionally lied about this due to mask shortages and fear of mask shortages. The truth is that appropriately wearing a mask has a high degree of protecting you from infection. The type of mask and appropriate fit/wear determine the degree of success.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

No reason to virtue signal. Masks work both ways. The gov and media intentionally lied about this due to mask shortages and fear of mask shortages. The truth is that appropriately wearing a mask has a high degree of protecting you from infection. The type of mask and appropriate fit/wear determine the degree of success.
                The typical cloth mask (non-N95) has openings, even with multiple layers of cloth, that arre large enough that the virus can cross. However, the droplets on which the virus is typically carried would not be able to cross those same layers of cloth. That's been my uneducated thought.

If my thought is correct, wearing a mask provides a significant, but not certain, amount of protection from infection. In areas of relatively non-infected people (the non-hospitalized public) or a low viral load (asymptomatic infected), wearing a mask is likely, but not certain, to protect the wearer from infection.

That only applies to airborne spread. Hands is an entirely different subject.

Comment

• the CDC now says deaths are at 37,000, not 60,000. Creepy Joe Biden says deaths are at 600,000

Comment

• https://www.sciencealert.com/this-is...t-so-confusing

Good article about masks. It is to protect the public from you not you from the virus.

the reason for not wearing masks before was, as I remember.

1. Supply issues.
                    2. Proper wearing. How many times do you see people with their nose not inside the mask.
                    3. False sense of security. They still wanted the stay at home/ 6 feet distancing. The mask doesn't reduce the need for these.
                    4. The asymptomatic transmission of the disease was less known at the time. They always wanted symptomatic people to wear them.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      the CDC now says deaths are at 37,000, not 60,000. Creepy Joe Biden says deaths are at 600,000
                      Neither of these things are true.

Comment

The typical cloth mask (non-N95) has openings, even with multiple layers of cloth, that arre large enough that the virus can cross. However, the droplets on which the virus is typically carried would not be able to cross those same layers of cloth. That's been my uneducated thought.

If my thought is correct, wearing a mask provides a significant, but not certain, amount of protection from infection. In areas of relatively non-infected people (the non-hospitalized public) or a low viral load (asymptomatic infected), wearing a mask is likely, but not certain, to protect the wearer from infection.

That only applies to airborne spread. Hands is an entirely different subject.
                        Not sure on your hypothesis exactly, but it’s reasonable. I think everything else there is quite accurate.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• I saw a picture of a woman in Kentucky who cut a hole in her mask that uncovered her mouth and nose because that made it easier to breathe.

Johns Hopkins says 69,079 deaths.

Comment

I'm seeing reports out of Washington that are saying 3,000 deaths per day in June. I'm seeing reports out of the CDC that say 500,000 deaths before this is over. I'm aware that everything now is just speculation.

When is "over"? By the end of the summer? By the end of the year? In 5 years? In 10 years?

And I assume you're talking about US deaths, not global deaths?
                            Last edited by ShockerFever; May 5, 2020, 10:43 AM.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I just can't trust the death numbers by the reports of how a lot are being counted. We still don't know how many people that would've died from something else and were close to death anyways and the virus just hurried it along (i. e. over 1/4th of all deaths are in nursing homes). How come our country continues to see increase and negative projections? Is it because it's so big? Is Italy and Spain gonna blow up again soon now that they're easing back? When is Australia gonna get blasted with this? They're in the middle of fall and on winter's doorstep? Does Canada just have access to superior treatments or does the border magically blockade the virus? Or are they greater at social distancing than us? 3800 deaths with 60000 cases with a similar to better testing going than us sure doesn't seem to make sense either. Yes, it's less populated and spread even further out but it has some dense populated centers in the southeast.

Just too many unknowns to draw definite conclusions about anything. A month ago they projected 60,000 deaths. A month later they're projecting 140,000 deaths. A month from now they could be down to 90,000. And again, with the death statistics likely getting inflated, I really don't know what to trust. Hospitalizations may be the only true statistic out there that can actually tell us something.
                              Last edited by ShockerFever; May 5, 2020, 10:54 AM.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                I just can't trust the death numbers by the reports of how a lot are being counted.
                                I just wanna say that New York is fishy.

On April 25th they reported 16,599 deaths. However if you go to CDC death predictions that WuDrWu posted earlier, and drill into New York and start adding up excess deaths from the time they have excess deaths through April 25th, you get 9,944. Right about 60% of what New York is saying happened. It's possible an additional 6,600 people died of coronavirus instead of something else -- but if so, that many were going to die in the same time frame.

Something isn't adding up.
                                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X