Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Any chance you can update this regularly? Some of us would be curious as to how long it takes for symptoms to appear, if she develops them, which symptoms she has?

Have to be honest, we're really taking all the precautions in our household. Actually still at work (not stay at home) because we service and are a supplier for a number of essential businesses. Very reduced staff. One of the businesses is hoping to be reinstated this week and begin operating again. Not sure what their capacities will be.

Weird thing is, everyone in my immediate family had the most unusual virus back in late January-February. I've been trying to research it, but the symptoms of Covid19 ALL match what we experienced.

For the longest time I assumed it was allergies. I haven't had a cold for probably 5-10 years prior to this. When I have allergy flare ups, usually a package of saltine crackers over the course of a day or two fixes any drainage issues from sinuses. Went through MORE THAN 1 BOX. Sucked on lifesavers hourly to try to keep from coughing. Respiratory issues and super high fever. Missed a couple of days of work for the first time in about 25 years because of it. Could NOT sleep on my left side under any circumstances. Breathing was very raspy and just didn't feel comfortable. No food was appealing at the time (tasting). In fact, we would make dinner and then just kind of make a small plate and stare at the rest of the food like it was klingon gagh. By early March we were cleaning out the fridge and just tossing out all the leftovers we never got around to eating. Fatigue was an issue. We actually went to the movie theater on a Saturday back at the time, and I was just in a daze. Just felt exhausted. Just wanted to sleep/rest. Wife would actually wake up every 1-2 hours like clockwork with cough. Nothing helped. This went on for about 3 weeks. Whatever it was it spread quickly among the group of us. I didn't think too much about it at first, but the first person who got whatever this was got it in mid-late January. He thought he was going to die. He is since fine (early 20s). We are all fine. We hope that what we experienced is the same thing going around and we don't get it again. We still take all the precautions.

Again, any updates would be appreciated.
    I go back and forth on this literally every hour:

On the one hand: with the percentage of infected people that require critical care and supplemental oxygen it is unlikely that it was widespread in the US before the mid-february time frame.

On the other hand: the amount of nursing homes that early on (and still are) centers of the outbreak make me think the virus was bubbling for 4-6 weeks before those surfaced. The odds of the first presentations of the virus, sans pre-existing conditions, in nursing homes have to be low. That is not to say that nursing homes aren't ripe for rapid spread -- but would they be the first place the virus would show if it wasn't circulating for quite a while?

The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• The symptoms of the virus are quite similar to flu. Folks thinking they had this before mid-February almost definitely had the flu.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• 1,623,807 people have been tested. 305,755 have tested positive (18.8% of people likely to have it), with 15,573 pending results.

There was a MASSIVE drop in pending tests from two days ago. They must have finally kicked that lab that was holding up so many tests right in the grapes.
        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
          The symptoms of the virus are quite similar to flu. Folks thinking they had this before mid-February almost definitely had the flu.
          I did not just have the flu. 4 out of the same group of 6 people ALL HAD THE FLU late November/December. This was not the flu. What I had was a nightmare of unbelievable proportions.

Don't get me wrong. We take all the precautions. But we're still not convinced we didn't have it. It was unlike anything I have ever experienced in my lifetime. I literally went to sleep with crackers in my mouth. If I woke up, I had to put cracker or lifesaver in my mouth to keep from coughing. This went on for 2-3 weeks. Nothing helped. Nyquil? Nothing. Mucinex? Uh, nope. Robitussin? No again. My wife would go through a coughing fit at 1:30 am, 3 am, 5 am, then have one before she got up for work. This was M-T-W-Th-F-Sat-Sun. Alternating hot drink and cold drink. Nothing helpled. I was in a constant state (2-3 weeks) of trying to get phlegm out of my lungs. Kept a plastic container/trash next to the bed so I wouldn't have to run to the bathroom everytime it acted up so I could spit crap out into it. I spent one 36 hour period drinking nothing but orange juice. Almost 2 gallons of the stuff. No food. No crackers. Just juice.I finally got better. When my daughter got it she basically made a "campsite" in the living room where she lived for the better park of 2 weeks. Got pictures of it. One night, daughter was on an air bed in living room, and wife and I were sitting on the sofa next to her. We just sat there on the couch waiting for the coughing to begin.

Its kind of weird, because the 6 of us who went through this all talk about it like it was nothing we had ever experienced. We all continue to think, possibly, that we had it, but the paranoia is still there so we continue to go above and beyond with precautions. I wouldn't wish any of it on anyone. If I had had asthma or some other condition I can see how getting rid of the **** in your lungs would be damn near impossible. We actually get together with wife's mother every weekend for dinner together, and THANKFULLY we took an entire monthly sabbatical from the dinner/gatthering. Mother in law was an RN and isn't totally convinced we didn't have it either.

Just everyone TRY AND KEEP SAFE!!!

Comment

• Weird thing is, there are times during the day that I completely forget about everything that is goign on in the world. Everything is fine. Normal. Then I go to sleep. And I wake up...and every day is the same. Nothing ever changes and nothing matters. Anyone else have this happen?

Comment

I did not just have the flu. 4 out of the same group of 6 people ALL HAD THE FLU late November/December. This was not the flu. What I had was a nightmare of unbelievable proportions.

Don't get me wrong. We take all the precautions. But we're still not convinced we didn't have it. It was unlike anything I have ever experienced in my lifetime. I literally went to sleep with crackers in my mouth. If I woke up, I had to put cracker or lifesaver in my mouth to keep from coughing. This went on for 2-3 weeks. Nothing helped. Nyquil? Nothing. Mucinex? Uh, nope. Robitussin? No again. My wife would go through a coughing fit at 1:30 am, 3 am, 5 am, then have one before she got up for work. This was M-T-W-Th-F-Sat-Sun. Alternating hot drink and cold drink. Nothing helpled. I was in a constant state (2-3 weeks) of trying to get phlegm out of my lungs. Kept a plastic container/trash next to the bed so I wouldn't have to run to the bathroom everytime it acted up so I could spit crap out into it. I spent one 36 hour period drinking nothing but orange juice. Almost 2 gallons of the stuff. No food. No crackers. Just juice.I finally got better. When my daughter got it she basically made a "campsite" in the living room where she lived for the better park of 2 weeks. Got pictures of it. One night, daughter was on an air bed in living room, and wife and I were sitting on the sofa next to her. We just sat there on the couch waiting for the coughing to begin.

Its kind of weird, because the 6 of us who went through this all talk about it like it was nothing we had ever experienced. We all continue to think, possibly, that we had it, but the paranoia is still there so we continue to go above and beyond with precautions. I wouldn't wish any of it on anyone. If I had had asthma or some other condition I can see how getting rid of the **** in your lungs would be damn near impossible. We actually get together with wife's mother every weekend for dinner together, and THANKFULLY we took an entire monthly sabbatical from the dinner/gatthering. Mother in law was an RN and isn't totally convinced we didn't have it either.

Just everyone TRY AND KEEP SAFE!!!
              Those are flu symptoms.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Yeah, I know. But the coronavirus is just that, a coronal flu virus. For some people it turns deadly (and turns into Covid19). They don't ALL do that. Its not to say that 300,000+ have covid19, I'm saying they have the virus that can cause covid19 in some cases. All I'm saying is "I hope I had it, I'm still taking precautions, and I hope I never get whatever it was that I had again."

I can sum this up perfectly. Your experience with flu and flu symptoms and my experience with flu and flu symptoms may be similar or dissimilar. My usual experience with flu is intestinal, abdominal, etc....this was almost completely respiratory and was a nasty bugger that seriously hampered lung function and capacity. What the 6 of us experienced was something unique for each in other words, for us, it was completely new and different. This was a flu virus on super steroids. Never had a flu virus like that that took a MONTH to get rid of. Hope nobody ever gets it. Again, KEEP WELL EVERYONE.

Comment

• JVShocker are you in Sedgwick County?
                  Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Yeah, I know. But the coronavirus is just that, a coronal flu virus. For some people it turns deadly (and turns into Covid19). They don't ALL do that. Its not to say that 300,000+ have covid19, I'm saying they have the virus that can cause covid19 in some cases. All I'm saying is "I hope I had it, I'm still taking precautions, and I hope I never get whatever it was that I had again."

I can sum this up perfectly. Your experience with flu and flu symptoms and my experience with flu and flu symptoms may be similar or dissimilar. My usual experience with flu is intestinal, abdominal, etc....this was almost completely respiratory and was a nasty bugger that seriously hampered lung function and capacity. What the 6 of us experienced was something unique for each in other words, for us, it was completely new and different. This was a flu virus on super steroids. Never had a flu virus like that that took a MONTH to get rid of. Hope nobody ever gets it. Again, KEEP WELL EVERYONE.
                    So there is no such thing as the “coronal flu virus”. Influenza A and influenza B are different than Coronavirus. Coronavirus does not, “turn into Covid-19”. Coronavirus is a family of viruses (specifically different than the flu). The one we are all being quarantined for is one specific type of Coronavirus, Covid-19. 300,000+ have had Covid-19. That’s what they are testing for.

Stomach illnesses, commonly referred to as “the stomach flu” are not actually the flu. They are a set of symptoms that can be brought on by viruses, bacteria, or parasites.

The flu (A or B), is a respiratory illness similar to what you described. Also similar to what you described are symptoms from some forms of Coronavirus, including Covid-19.

So, why do I say it is unlikely that that you had Coronavirus? Because patient zero was in the USA in January 15. Patient 10 was here about end of January. Unless you traveled to China during the first half of January, the chances that you had symptomatic Covid-19 in late January are astronomically small. On the other hand, about 20 million Americans had already contracted the flu by end of January, and went through the same horrible weeks of crap you and your family went through.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Yeah, I know. But the coronavirus is just that, a coronal flu virus. For some people it turns deadly (and turns into Covid19). They don't ALL do that. Its not to say that 300,000+ have covid19, I'm saying they have the virus that can cause covid19 in some cases. All I'm saying is "I hope I had it, I'm still taking precautions, and I hope I never get whatever it was that I had again."

Did you have a flu shot?

Comment

• JVShocker I went through a similarly 5 week stretch. Since I deal with the public daily, including in New Orleans, I went to the Dr multiple times, and was tested for the flu twice, both times came back negative. I did not get a flu shot, and as mentioned, had a spit bottle, struggled at time with coughing so much it was hard to breathe, and the Dr on my last visit gave me five days or she was going to recommend going to hospital for further testing.

We talk about patient zero, but there is no way to for sure know that someone else who was asymptomatic didn’t catch this first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                          JVShocker I went through a similarly 5 week stretch. Since I deal with the public daily, including in New Orleans, I went to the Dr multiple times, and was tested for the flu twice, both times came back negative. I did not get a flu shot, and as mentioned, had a spit bottle, struggled at time with coughing so much it was hard to breathe, and the Dr on my last visit gave me five days or she was going to recommend going to hospital for further testing.

We talk about patient zero, but there is no way to for sure know that someone else who was asymptomatic didn’t catch this first.
                          How many people on US soil do you think were infected prior to Jan 15? 1 million? 10 million?
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Those are flu symptoms.
                            It's interesting to me that whenever someone says they think they had this objectively contagious virus, there are always people there to deny it--100% of the time. Happened to me. Happened to my wife. Happened to our friend. I even called the doctor who said I more than likely had the virus, but didn't qualify for the test because I was too young, and had no contact with anyone known to be infected.

Maybe just take people at their word? They know themselves better than you.

Comment

Forget these people... they will go to the grave denying people have it-- ESPECIALLY anyone they can deny over an internet forum.

Comment

How many people on US soil do you think were infected prior to Jan 15? 1 million? 10 million?
                                A lot more than you think / were reported.

Comment

Working...
                                X