Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

I'd agree. But I'd also point to Louisiana as a state where it is spreading widely in rural communities.

You might be able to do this on a 'case by case' basis but it's not going to happen without a better testing infrastructure.
    I work with someone from Louisiana who said a ton of people in the state went to Mardis Gras then went back home...

Comment

• Man dies after ingesting chloroquine in an attempt to prevent coronavirus

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Can't we estimate that as of today that on the high side there are about 214,000 people in the United States with coronavirus?

Why?

As of 03-23-2020 ...

- There are 42,752 presumptive confirmed cases

- WHO and China have reported that about 80% of cases are mild (unreported).

- WORST CASE all 42,752 are considered severe cases (we know that's not true, there are mild cases mixed into this number).

- That would mean (worst case), 42,752 people represent the 20% of the population of people with coronavirus that are "reported".

- From there it's easy to calculate (42,752 x 100) / 20 = 213,760 total people with coronavirus.

"BUT!", you say, "we haven't tested enough people -- there may be millions of people with it and we haven't tested them!"

- Well ... we have tested about 294,000 people at this point. That's a LOT of samples (0.1% of the population).

- 42,000 positives / 294,000 tests = 15% positives, and 85% negatives.

- The tests are only being given to people _highly probable_ to have coronavirus, and yet only 14.2% do.

Why it could be wrong?

As the test number increases, so does the ratio of positives to total tests. However, I have a gut feeling this is almost purely because New York is blowing up and a disproportionate bulk of testing is being done in hot spots. That's purely a hypothesis, and I haven't looked into it at all.
        But the numbers don't back up your 42000 severe cases. There are 13000 cases in NYC alone. This is the hotbed for the US. Only 2300 of those require hospitalization or 18%. Only 525 are in ICU or 4%.

They also per Cuomo have the highest per capita testing in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazztrane View Post

I work with someone from Louisiana who said a ton of people in the state went to Mardis Gras then went back home...
          This is undoubtedly what happened, and shows why cancelling big gatherings needs to remain the status quo for a while longer.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post

But the numbers don't back up your 42000 severe cases. There are 13000 cases in NYC alone. This is the hotbed for the US. Only 2300 of those require hospitalization or 18%. Only 525 are in ICU or 4%.

They also per Cuomo have the highest per capita testing in the world.
            That's my point. WORST CASE only 214,000 people in the entire US have coronavirus. People claiming there are "millions and millions" are uninformed. The reality is probably only half that many people actually have it.

(Not important to the discussion, but New York has way more reported cases than 17,000 -- they are over half the US reported cases and in a world of hurt right now with about 25,000 cases)
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

That's my point. WORST CASE only 214,000 people in the entire US have coronavirus. People claiming there are "millions and millions" are uninformed. The reality is probably only half that many people actually have it.

(Not important to the discussion, but New York has way more reported cases than 17,000 -- they are over half the US reported cases and in a world of hurt right now with about 25,000 cases)
              Not to nitpick buy the state of NY has about 23,000 cases but my post was about New York City with about 13,000

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                2 new cases in Segwick county - unrelated, both are under 60, community transfer

State is saying Sedgwick county now has 7 cases, even though Sedgwick county is reporting 4

Comment

• Don't know if this link for data has been shared.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                    Don't know if this link for data has been shared.

https://cheyennemountainsoftware.com/covid-19
                    Second page 'very' interesting - 4.49% tested positive/2184 tests.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I think we can now debunk two common myths floating around:

1) I/my community had this weeks/months ago - no you didn't

2) Millions of people already have this all over the country - no they don't
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• *sigh*

The varying strains of influenza have been circulating amongst civilizations for thousands of years with our immune system evolving/adapting over that time. Nearly 50% of adults and over 60% of children get the flu shot every year in America. Since October we've had 45 million infections and 46,000 deaths from the flu....

Corona has been found to be multiple times more infectious than influenza. It's also been said that typical infection/attack rates for the flu are 1 person infecting 7. With Corona it's 1 infects 28.

It's now known that Corona will last for 17 days on some surfaces and up to several hours in the air.

This virus is new (novel) to our immune system, we have no natural or man-made (vaccine) immunity.

Over 50% of the infected show little to no signs of illness (maybe only loss of taste and smell).

Therefore:

We likely have 10's of thousands of infections of Corona in our immediate vicinity and 10's of millions in America at this moment. To think otherwise would require a tremendous leap of faith and to preach such faith would be irresponsible.

Eventually, when it's all said and done, we will have truckloads of data indicating the ultimate infection penetration.

Where are we now? We are at the point where people should keep their asses at home. There is literally no limit to the death and destruction this virus could cause on society.

We take our medicine now and we can get back to a normal way of life in a few weeks to a month and folks can laugh at all those who preached doom and gloom.

Or, we can brush this off as a mild cold, pointing to the vast disparity in current deaths vs. typical flu deaths, and we will cement ourselves in the history books as having endured one of the worst pandemics in the history of mankind. This virus absolutely has that potential.

Good day and good luck to you all!

T

Comment

• He went on to say, “I would just like to say on this show tonight that this has become very personal for me too, because I have COVID as of yesterday.”

“If it can hit me, it can hit anybody,” he cautioned, saying he’s not 100 percent certain where he got it but adding that “this virus is all over the United States.”
                          If we can just achieve the goal of "ripping the band-aid off slowly", we will have won.

T

Comment

• People really, really need to watch the following video until they understand the core concepts fully (particularly exponential growth).

You CANNOT look at the current published data and extrapolate what the current infection rate is. Everything you do will be weeks behind. As I type this very sentence, thousands more were likely exposed to the virus. This is LOGIC, it is not the musings of an untrained mind.

The alternative "reality" is that the current infection penetration is vastly under what I, as well as many experts, presume. If that reality is true and we only have 5 infections in Sedgwick County (lol) and a few ten's of thousands in other parts of the country - AT THIS MOMENT - that reality can change in an instant. I, (and the CDC) could be wrong on 3/24 then absolutely right on 3/25. Our reality can only be modeled, and the models are absolutely dire.

The alternate-alternate reality would be that only a few thousand people are infected and it has stopped spreading. To maintain that position would be to deny the existence of gravity as well as everything we know about the behavior of this bug. Maybe American's are safe because we're God's chosen people........

All we have to do is separate ourselves until science can catch up . However, I have a lot more faith in science than I do the personal responsibility/accountability of the average American so.... PLEASE HURRY UP NERDS and stop El Corona!

T

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                              All we have to do is separate ourselves until science can catch up . However, I have a lot more faith in science than I do the personal responsibility/accountability of the average American so...
                              I just wanted to quote this for emphasis.

Comment

• Posted in the other thread but, a smart thermometer company - Kinsa - is tracking abnormal fevers throughout the country ( www.healthweather.us). This graph out of New York is somewhat encouraging.

The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                                X