Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

It’s definitely strange that the best healthcare system in the world and a first world superpower like the US seems to have a disproportionate amount of cases and even deaths than other areas around the globe. And that’s even after the country was locked down for 2 months and continues to be cautious in a lot of areas. I need an explanation of this. Is it because the rest of the world is undercounting all of this?

Or is this country fudging up some numbers?
    The rest of the world is likely (a) under reporting or (b) not finding positive cases out of nowhere to make it seem worse like the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

(This is not targeted at you ShockerFever, I know you already know this as you have been following along from early on. This is for the new people being scared to death by CNN)

For at least the 3rd time -- maybe more like the 5th time -- if you are OVERSAMPLING by testing TOO MANY non-sick people, your case load increases substantially causing those raw case load numbers to become very much Apples when compared to the rest of the world's Oranges (even your OWN data becomes worthless in terms of showing growth rates). It also causes new cases to skew high as a percent of the total tests.

Europe Union is counting SICK PEOPLE. United States is counting sick people PLUS lots and lots of MILD CASES.

Apples > Oranges, people -- it's very easy math.

But by all means, let's keep posting main stream media scare-a-ganda that does not show the context or the full picture.

Do I have to compile a graph that obliterates the CNN graph? Or can I just pick a random day and demonstrate it with obvious raw data? Is it even worth my time anymore, or are people so vested in their political belief system that they can't believe raw science and math anymore?

Screw it ... here's a recent day pulled randomly .. choose another day and I will happily show the raw numbers for that day ...

June 25th

European Union tests conducted: 151,340
      Total new cases: 6,025

United States tests conducted: 637,587
      Total new cases: 39,061

We tested 4x what the EU did on that day! Of COURSE our case results are going to blow EU's out of the water when you doing that type of sampling compared with the EU. And the more we sample, the more we know where areas are hotter than others -- so we randomly sample EVEN MORE PEOPLE in those areas ... causing the percent of positives to come back even higher.

This is frustratingly obvious, yet half of the country watching CNN see only Apples being compared with Oranges and take the bait hook line and sinker.
      I'll be interested to see if there is any legitimate rebuttal to this. It seems very telling. It's even crazier when you consider that the EU has 100M more people in it than the U.S. (440M vs 330M) You would think they would easily eclipse how many tests we are doing but its not even in the same ballpark. I wish our media would be honest and use data like this to explain to our people how great of a country this is for being so on top of it's game rather than using apples to oranges to say we are having a mega problem compared to the rest of the world. The real story here seems to be how, once again, America is doing a great job at something comparatively to the rest of the world. Our news is so ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Europe Union is counting SICK PEOPLE. United States is counting sick people PLUS lots and lots of MILD CASES.

Deaths in USA last 6 days:

Worldwide last 6 days:

Last edited by JVShocker; June 29, 2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• Wow! Deaths in the US down by 50% in one day! Where is this being reported? Oh that's right, it's positive news, won't be reported anywhere...

Comment

• Where’s Cold at, at a time like this?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              I have a couple of questions.

Why has India had so many fewer cases and deaths than the USA, especially considering India has about 4 times the population of the US (est 1.3 billion vs 330 million) and more than 10 times the population density (400/km2 vs 33/km2) and a healthcare system woefully inferior to that of the USA?

Clearly the more heavily populated areas of the USA have been the worst hit by CV-19. Why not the same for other areas around the world. Is the virus racist towards the American citizen?
              India is refusing to test until they have a treatment that is different than the symptoms. They already know it’s community spread and resources are limited so they focus on treatment.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Where’s Cold at, at a time like this?
                In his basement wearing a beak doctor mask.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Where’s Cold at, at a time like this?

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

In his basement wearing a beak doctor mask.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

If they included Russia, Brazil, Mexico or India there wouldn't be the stark difference. They want to make the US look as bad as possible.

Comment

• https://www.scripps.edu/news-and-eve...-mutation.html

Not sure anyone posted this yet but it /could/ be one part of the puzzle if true. Most of us oldsters are still staying home a lot and the youngsters aren't which is another part of it. Some of our south and west neighbors are growing low on hospital space but I imagine they'll clear out space and set up more icus. Wichita has been incredibly lucky so far and I certainly hope that continues.

Comment

• This stuff interests me a lot. While the mutation appears to certainly be "selected for" (meaning the gene sequence is certainly more fit than other mutations and tends to survive), it shows up in 25% of samples -- so why would it be extra lethal in some locations but not other locations if that was a smoking gun?

In fact you have to get to the bottom of the article to see:

It is still unknown whether this small mutation affects the severity of symptoms of infected people, or increases mortality, the scientists say.
                          So while it is a predominant feature, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a more harmful one. As far as I last knew, no mutation was more lethal than any other. It's been several weeks since I have looked into that though.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Pune, India has never really got out of lockdown. I believe Bangalore was locked back down, but I can't say that definitively. I think thei country's numbers are pretty accurate, though. About 400 dying per day, would not seem too excessive. They only have about 8K critical, which might seem low, but have only been monitoring relative to whether people are still work from home. And even if they get opened back up, office capacity will drop, which means that many will be work from home unless corporations decide to bring work back in or slow it down.

Comment

• The geniuses up in Smel(L)A have decided that you cannot go to the beach or watch fireworks this holiday weekend, but it is ok to gather in large protest groups and that that is essential. Not smart...

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                                I have a couple of questions.

Why has India had so many fewer cases and deaths than the USA, especially considering India has about 4 times the population of the US (est 1.3 billion vs 330 million) and more than 10 times the population density (400/km2 vs 33/km2) and a healthcare system woefully inferior to that of the USA?
                                India is in very bad shape, but people are dying in the villages and never making it to the city - therefore they don't get reported.

Clearly the more heavily populated areas of the USA have been the worst hit by CV-19. Why not the same for other areas around the world. Is the virus racist towards the American citizen?
                                The world has different reporting procedures and requirements. Some countries just don't have the infrastructure. Some countries don't report or report accurately because it is propaganda.

Also you have to look at numbers that are normalized to population to be apples to apples.

Deaths Per 1 million population for selected countries.

1. Belgium 840
                                2. UK 642
                                3. Spain 606
                                4. Italy 575
                                5. Sweden 526
                                6. France 457
                                7. U.S. 389
                                8. Netherlands 356
                                9. Ireland 351
                                10. Chile 292
                                11. Peru 288
                                12. Brazil 275