Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest is starting to light up now.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Seward county (liberal) has a problem. They almost have more cars than Sedgwick county.

Comment

• It's a very small town. Where do they park them all?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
          It's a very small town. Where do they park them all?
          You beat me to it; figured he meant trucks.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• As of March 31, WH prediction was 100.000 to 240,000 total deaths. Later WH projections said that estimate was too high.

As of March 31, there were 3,900 deaths. That leaves nearly 50,000 deaths in April, and we're not done with April yet.

I'm aware that some people who died in April would have died in April even if they didn't test positive for Covid-19, I'm skeptical that explains a significant number of deaths attributed to Covid.

The White House projects 100,000 to 240,000 people could die in the U.S., even with social distancing measures.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

You beat me to it; figured he meant trucks.
              lol

I meant combines...

Comment

• It may be worth a laugh now, but this should be a matter of concern, unless you have a freezer full of whatever your favorite kind of meat is......
                https://www.kxan.com/news/coronaviru...xas-panhandle/

This meatpacking plant is in Moore County, Texas. They have the largest incidence of Covid-19 in Texas, way larger than Dallas or Harris counties. I'm thinking it is a factor of 5 or 6.

#2 is this one.....Shelby County, Texas. Their rates are much lower than the JBS facility, but still higher than anyone else's.
                https://www.texasobserver.org/east-t...virus-chicken/

Impacts to the public won't come from contaminated meat, but from the disruptions in the supply chain, as these meat processing facilities, usually in rural areas, have to close to be disinfected (or in some cases close down because so many employees got sick) or both.

Seems like we could have a problem - the largest pork processing plant (Smithfield) in the world, in Baden County North Carolina now has cases and the one in Sioux Falls (which produced 5% of the pork consumed here in the U.S.) is already shut down.

Google JBS and Coronavirus and you will also obtain a bunch of results.

This might be a trend to monitor. If this starts disrupting the supply chain, shortages may well be observed. Main questions would be how much flex is in the supply chain and how much capacity can be removed before downstream impacts are observed. Shutdown of facilities would be a leading indicator of later impacts to the supermarket (which is a lagging indicator).

Comment

• Wow, so 15 states hit new record peak cases in the country in the last 3 days. The coasts seem to be fizzling for the most part, but the midwest is very much still brewing. Here are the current hot spots in the country ...

Midwest-ish:

IN, IA, TN, CO, NE, IL, KS, WI, MN

Other:

NC, PA, MA, RI, AZ, VA

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
                    It may be worth a laugh now, but this should be a matter of concern, unless you have a freezer full of whatever your favorite kind of meat is......
                    https://www.kxan.com/news/coronaviru...xas-panhandle/

This meatpacking plant is in Moore County, Texas. They have the largest incidence of Covid-19 in Texas, way larger than Dallas or Harris counties. I'm thinking it is a factor of 5 or 6.

#2 is this one.....Shelby County, Texas. Their rates are much lower than the JBS facility, but still higher than anyone else's.
                    https://www.texasobserver.org/east-t...virus-chicken/

Impacts to the public won't come from contaminated meat, but from the disruptions in the supply chain, as these meat processing facilities, usually in rural areas, have to close to be disinfected (or in some cases close down because so many employees got sick) or both.

Seems like we could have a problem - the largest pork processing plant (Smithfield) in the world, in Baden County North Carolina now has cases and the one in Sioux Falls (which produced 5% of the pork consumed here in the U.S.) is already shut down.

Google JBS and Coronavirus and you will also obtain a bunch of results.

This might be a trend to monitor. If this starts disrupting the supply chain, shortages may well be observed. Main questions would be how much flex is in the supply chain and how much capacity can be removed before downstream impacts are observed. Shutdown of facilities would be a leading indicator of later impacts to the supermarket (which is a lagging indicator).
                    Fortunately for most of us, we live in the Midwest. Call your local processor and buy a quarter cow or hog. There’s dozens in the area.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• We'd been stuck at around 150,000 tests a day for the last two weeks but now we are inching up north of 200,000 tests per day and have had over 300,000 tests twice in the last three days. With more testing will undoubtedly come more confirmed cases.
                      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Fortunately for most of us, we live in the Midwest. Call your local processor and buy a quarter cow or hog. There’s dozens in the area.
                        I found a great local meat market plus an even better (if that's possible) wholesale seafood provider. I have been buying most of my meat there, I think they buy local on their high-end stuff (prime, Wagu, Akausi). I usually buy prime, I just can't bring myself to pay the extra for Wagu or Akaushi.

And as soon as I can get me a small freezer (probably need to look today) I will ask about a split side/quarter (IIRC, that's the one with all the steaks).

But in my opinion, the small meat processors in Kansas have the best beef I've ever eaten.

The seafood provider has just about anything you would want as well, including fresh east-coast fish. Halibut, sole, flounder, redfish, red snapper. If it gets really bad, I probably won't get the east-coast items, but I would be able to get the local items.

Best of all, I'm supporting small businesses, I have been going out of my way to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                          We'd been stuck at around 150,000 tests a day for the last two weeks but now we are inching up north of 200,000 tests per day and have had over 300,000 tests twice in the last three days. With more testing will undoubtedly come more confirmed cases.
                          Good point. In Kansas, the increased testing has resulted in decent uptick in more cases per day, but not a significant increase in hospitalizations (which for me is the real signal as to what is going on). I think I will redesign the Kungculator to look at hospital peaks.

Comment

• US records its fewest amount of deaths since March 31.

Probably won’t get a mention in the news outlets though.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              US records its fewest amount of deaths since March 31.

While I agree with the sentiment of your post, it also makes me wonder. There are hundreds of news outlets in existence.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I get the impression you may not be a fan of mainstream media sources like Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc.

Are not some of the smaller more conservative news outlets reporting the fact that deaths are decreasing?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                US records its fewest amount of deaths since March 31.

I've heard it mentioned many times already this morning on CNBC.
                                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                                X