Official Foodie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Bella Vita is somewhat of a hidden gem. I believe they are located in what used to be a Grinderman Sandwich Shop and they don't do much if any advertising. Pretty much word-of-mouth. Been quite a while since I have dined there but it was excellent in the few times I have been there. Might be worth a drive across town again.

LaMonde Cafe out on West Street is another decent little restaurant in a former fast food (taco) joint.
    La Monde has been out of that location for a long time. When we were more centrally located, we'd go to eating places out west and we did enjoy dining there. However, since moving to near Andover, going to west Wichita has been pretty non-existent.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

La Monde has been out of that location for a long time. When we were more centrally located, we'd go to eating places out west and we did enjoy dining there. However, since moving to near Andover, going to west Wichita has been pretty non-existent.
      I'm the same way. I don't get to the West side much for dining out anymore. If I go west to eat it is usually way west at the Pretty Prairie Steakhouse before one of my grandsons high school football or basketball games. Far from fancy but they actually have pretty good food.

He has games occasionally in Burton and we might stop at The Barn for a meal but the last couple of times it wasn't that good. In fact, the last time I was there recently, I tried the chicken fried chicken (supposedly a bar favorite) it was not good at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I'm the same way. I don't get to the West side much for dining out anymore. If I go west to eat it is usually way west at the Pretty Prairie Steakhouse before one of my grandsons high school football or basketball games. Far from fancy but they actually have pretty good food.

He has games occasionally in Burton and we might stop at The Barn for a meal but the last couple of times it wasn't that good. In fact, the last time I was there recently, I tried the chicken fried chicken (supposedly a bar favorite) it was not good at all.

I've noticed the same 'Chicken' thing at several places recently. We're eating so many darn chickens; they can't grow them fast enough. You've got KFC, Chic-fil-A, Raising Canes, BWW, Chick N Max, Slim Chickens and of course McDonalds, DQ and every other fast-food chain sells a 'boat load' of chicken. They jab 'em full of steroids for 'rapid growth' and we wonder why the chicken isn't what it used to be.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I've noticed the same 'Chicken' thing at several places recently. We're eating so many darn chickens; they can't grow them fast enough. You've got KFC, Chic-fil-A, Raising Canes, BWW, Chick N Max, Slim Chickens and of course McDonalds, DQ and every other fast-food chain sells a 'boat load' of chicken. They jab 'em full of steroids for 'rapid growth' and we wonder why the chicken isn't what it used to be.

Not just the steroid thing, but we and a group of other couples went out to Stearman's (on are recommendation) and my wife's chicken fried chicken meat was about half the thickness of what we'd had in the past there. Of course, we were also paying more for less meat and more breading. I will say, that was a first for us there, so we may have to give an another try.

Comment

• I went to Vora this evening (east Douglas) and it is entirely possible from start to finish that it was the best meal I've ever had in Wichita, all dishes taken in account.

In a word, spectacular.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
              My wife and I tried Bella Vita Bistro last night for the first time. Wow! The dinner special was a fork tender filet mignon served over mushroom asparagus grits and veal Demi glacé. Best meal in Wichita for me and it’s not even close.
              I will try this soon as there is new high bar for dinner at Vora. When I do, I will report back.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                I went to Vora this evening (east Douglas) and it is entirely possible from start to finish that it was the best meal I've ever had in Wichita, all dishes taken in account.

In a word, spectacular.
                Vora was excellent when I went there as well. Friendly staff and the food is great. Their cocktails were amazing.

Comment

I will try this soon as there is new high bar for dinner at Vora. When I do, I will report back.
                  We have been wanting to try Vora.

Comment

• They utilize the OpenTable app and maybe I was just lucky, but I made the reservation 2 days in advance, walked in 5 minutes early and got seated immediately on a Friday evening at 7pm

Service was impeccable. I know it sounds gushing, but it was an experience. Parking could be a bit of an issue, but I got lucky.

Comment

• 40A9412D-8CAB-49B2-83F4-3D41EC4A005F.jpeg A homemade foodie post. Slow smoked some ribs on my new grill yesterday.

Comment

40A9412D-8CAB-49B2-83F4-3D41EC4A005F.jpeg A homemade foodie post. Slow smoked some ribs on my new grill yesterday.

I recently went to a BBQ workshop where a BBQ competitor with the Smokin Elvises gave a class on ribs. Holy crap, he raised my game to another level.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Being Catholic, and this being Lent, we will be making some pecan crusted trout one of these Friday evenings.

Comment

They utilize the OpenTable app and maybe I was just lucky, but I made the reservation 2 days in advance, walked in 5 minutes early and got seated immediately on a Friday evening at 7pm

Service was impeccable. I know it sounds gushing, but it was an experience. Parking could be a bit of an issue, but I got lucky.
                            We are going to be in town Easter weekend. I have a cardiology appointment on Good Friday so we are staying the weekend. Planning on trying Vora Saturday night.

Comment

We are going to be in town Easter weekend. I have a cardiology appointment on Good Friday so we are staying the weekend. Planning on trying Vora Saturday night.
                              I will be looking forward to your educated and sophisticated palate's response.

Comment

I will be looking forward to your educated and sophisticated palate's response.
                                Ha. Don’t get your hopes up. My wife will be monitoring closely what I order trying to make sure things are within reasonable proximity of doctors’ orders.

Comment

Working...
                                X