No announcement yet.

Official Foodie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad news but a quick replacement will be taking over.

Wichita by EB - Sumo has officially closed but another Japanese steakhouse is coming in

I’ve been hearing the rumors for a while that Sumo by Nambara was looking to sell for the past year. Between that and multiple closures for various reasons, it was a matter of time before they would close permanently. And that happened quietly over the past month.

It’s yet another longtime Wichita restaurant that has closed. The Japanese restaurant, which used to be on Rock Road before moving to their current location at 11233 E 13th St N, has been around for decades. It used to be the premiere place to go for sushi and hibachi food.

With their closing, I’m hearing something new is already in the works.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• brisket2.jpg

Don't know if this is the place for this, but I made some brisket for the first week of March Madness. Was my first attempt ever...turned out pretty well. Good fat rendering, good smoke rings, good bark. A few things I want to improve on but it was fantastic overall.
      Attached Files
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Food looks good. And its lunch time.

We don't eat out, so we're always making dinners. Just curious, the last 2 or 3 meals anyone made at home. ??

1. Homemade chili on egg noodles
        2. Breakfast: Poached eggs, sausage, garlic potatoes, waffles, and fruit.
        3. Lightly fried chicken on wild rice with a little jalapeno, baked potato and green beans

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
          Food looks good. And its lunch time.

We don't eat out, so we're always making dinners. Just curious, the last 2 or 3 meals anyone made at home. ??

1. Homemade chili on egg noodles
          2. Breakfast: Poached eggs, sausage, garlic potatoes, waffles, and fruit.
          3. Lightly fried chicken on wild rice with a little jalapeno, baked potato and green beans
          I microwaved some jalapeno cheddar hot dogs
          I threw a frozen pizza into the oven
          I made cheese dip with chorizo
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Baked Scottish Salmon in a teriyaki, honey and garlic marinade.

Rigatoni Bolognese

Chicken breast stuffed with a fresh spinach, cream cheese, parmesan mixture.

Beef Bourguignon (this is brutal to make, but really good).

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I microwaved some jalapeno cheddar hot dogs
              I threw a frozen pizza into the oven
              I made cheese dip with chorizo
              Love frozen pizzas. We'll usually hold back chicken, hamburger and sausage from other meals in the freezer and add it to the pizza before baking. <------ What do you think I had for lunch? Take the frozen pizza and pre cut it into serving slices. Bake each slice up fresh for lunch with extra toppings.

Comment

• What's sad is I'm actually a pretty good cook. I just hate cooking for just me so I generally eat simple pre-made types of things or will throw together a quesadilla or something similar.

I'm torn between my urge to cook and create and experiment and my lack of desire to spend that kind of time and energy on just myself.

I do enjoy buying some 4 cheese pizzas and then adding my own toppings though.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• AOL - National chain quietly, and abruptly, closed two Wichita stores

There’s been talk for a while that Baskin-Robbins would close its two stores in Wichita — one version had it that the Massachusetts-based company was waiting for supplies to dwindle — but now, it’s happened.

It appears employees may have been just as surprised as customers.

“Dear Employees and Customers,” a sign at both stores reads, “It is with great sadness that we announce the permanent closure of our store, effective immediately. We have appreciated your business and loyalty over the years and are sorry to have to take this step.”
                  I admit, I'd only been there a couple of times and none of those were in this past decade. Always wondered how busy they were as it never seemed it when I'd drive by. But I do love me some ice cream so on some level it's a bit of a bummer, even though I didn't partake.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• For you Catholics on this Friday in Lent, the wife just made pecan crusted steelhead. Oh damn!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      What's sad is I'm actually a pretty good cook. I just hate cooking for just me so I generally eat simple pre-made types of things or will throw together a quesadilla or something similar.

I'm torn between my urge to cook and create and experiment and my lack of desire to spend that kind of time and energy on just myself.

I do enjoy buying some 4 cheese pizzas and then adding my own toppings though.
                      Yeah that’s fair. I like to cook as well, and during the week, my wife and I typically use a few principles in what we cook during the week, not necessarily recipes.

The things that I have learned over the last few years that have helped the most:

- Salting - salt your meat ahead of time with a dry brine and salt your water before you boil anything. Most people don’t use enough salt when they cook.
                      - How to use fats like oil and butter to create a sear and enhance flavor.
                      - Along those lines, what most people see as moisture in meats or other foods is often fat. Fat means flavor.
                      - Know what type of heat (indirect, convection, direct) creates the best texture for what you are making.

Ethan Chlebowski is a great resource on YouTube for stuff like this.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• All great stuff Kel. Lots of folks wait until the end to season, and it's understandable, but seasoning throughout the process is what builds depth and complexity.

And yes, salt that water, especially for pasta.

Substitute low sodium chicken broth (or veggie broth if you prefer) for a fraction of water in recipes. Makes a huge difference. I get a saffron rice that's delicious, but I substitute about 1/5 of the water with chicken stock and it's so rich it's almost a main course by itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
                          For you Catholics on this Friday in Lent, the wife just made pecan crusted steelhead. Oh damn!
                          No doubt that was absolutely spectacular. Steelhead is a real treat.

Comment

• I learned a lot about flavor when I moved to Louisiana.

Most often used is the difference between spicy and hot. My trips back to KS leave me feeling the food is bland. No depth of flavor as Doc mentioned.

Yes, Cajuns use a lot of cayenne. But mostly it is in relation to a variety of pepper (white, red, black), paprika, garlic, onion powder, and a key secret - Lemon juice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                              I learned a lot about flavor when I moved to Louisiana.

Most often used is the difference between spicy and hot. My trips back to KS leave me feeling the food is bland. No depth of flavor as Doc mentioned.

Yes, Cajuns use a lot of cayenne. But mostly it is in relation to a variety of pepper (white, red, black), paprika, garlic, onion powder, and a key secret - Lemon juice.
                              th.jpg

Comment

• I love using cayenne
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X