No announcement yet.

Official Foodie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New restaurant focusing on steak and cocktails is coming to downtown Wichita.

WBJ - Former District Taqueria space quickly lands new tenant

David Jewett said he plans to open "Forge," a "casual steak joint" with an emphasis on craft cocktails, in February at 917 E. Douglas, the former home of District Taqueria.

Jewett said he wants to bring great food and drink to the market in an approachable setting that won't drain someone's wallet.

"I want anybody to feel comfortable coming in," he said. "We're going to be priced affordable."

The 2,821-square-foot space lasted on the market for only a few weeks after District Taqueria left.
    Jewett said he's ready to serve Wichitans again and is glad to be doing it in the heart of the city, where he highlighted the presence of Intrust Bank Arena, businesses like Cargill and the increasing amount of high-quality apartments.

"I've always loved downtown," he said. "There's a lot of potential down here."
    If they can make a decent steak and are reasonably priced, I think they'll find success. That seems to be the goal. Sounds like he's hoping to open in January/February.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Interesting take that goes against the long held narrative.

Wichita by EB - Why I believe The Cheesecake Factory will come to Wichita in the near future

Over the past few years, the national chain has been testing locations with a smaller footprint. A typical location is over 7,000 square feet while these smaller ones are over 5,000. They wan tto see if staff can execute the menu in a smaller kitchen footprint and maintain the guest experience in less space. During that same time, I’ve heard from multiple sources that The Cheesecake Factory has been in talks with multiple shopping centers and developers about opening one of those smaller scale restaurants here in Wichita.

Similar situations have taken place with a smaller Dave & Busters and a smaller Topgolf in Wichita.

After I heard from the first source a few years ago, I was hesitant to post something. But since then, more trusted people have come forward with information that isn’t connected, leading me to believe that The Cheesecake Factory is serious about coming to Wichita; even as recent as this summer. It all comes down to numbers and who’s willing to play ball with the major restaurant chain and whatever their asking price is in terms of negotiations.
      I know this would make a lot of people happy, but I'm not entirely sure why. I've never personally been to or even seen a Cheesecake Factory, but those I do know that have been have never been overly impressed. And if people want good cheesecake, which I hear is their one redeeming quality, we have the Wichita Cheesecake Company here in town that I hear is absolutely tremendous.

I'm also generally suspicious of any restaurant that has a huge menu, which is one of the negatives you hear about CF. It's hard to perfect a huge menu and generally everything suffers because of it. Maybe they pull it off better than one might expect, but I have my doubts.

I'm not one of those people who is against chains by any stretch of the imagination. National chains are usually a positive sign for an area and I don't think that they generally take away from the local options.

I'm guessing if Wichita does get one, we'll see it located near 96 and Greenwich, though I wouldn't mind something like this being located downtownish. It does seem like something that could help attract people to the area and benefit plenty of other businesses and eateries.

I'm still hoping that Wichita can one day have a good Brazilian Steakhouse like Fogo de Chao. Still not sure if we have the market for it, but I'd love to eat someplace like that a couple of times a year.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Eagle - Well-known restaurateur closes one east-side restaurant but plans two new businesses

The lease is up for Jax Restaurant and Bar, and owner John Arnold said after trying two and a half concepts at that Cambridge Market space, he has decided to close.

“COVID had a lot to do with it,” he said.

The biggest factor was the lack of pharmaceutical parties in Jax’s private rooms since the pandemic began. “After COVID, they weren’t using the rooms. That’s basically how we made our living.”

Arnold started the business as Greystone Steak & Seafood in 2015.
        I never did visit Jax, but I did enjoy Greystone.

Deano's I haven't been to in a while, but I always liked it.

It's also good to hear that he found the impacted employees jobs at his three other restaurants.

It will be interesting to see what he has planned. He mentions the west side and Derby as targets of his two new endeavors.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Popeyes headed to NW Wichita

WBJ - Wichita developer moving forward with plans for Maize Road Popeyes

The developer told the WBJ on Tuesday that he recently closed on land in front of the Sam's Club at 29th Street and Maize Road and aims to start the permitting process soon for a new Popeyes at the location.

In June, Patel shared that — with his son, Sumit Patel, and their Mid-Chkn LLC — he had signed a franchise agreement for 16 new Popeyes restaurants in Kansas over the next five years, with about half of those in the Wichita area.

"We are looking at a few other locations right now in Wichita to purchase, but that has not been finalized yet," said Patel, who said he will open a new Popeyes in Hays early this year.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            ”Love that chicken from Popeyes”

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• West side is getting a Deano's.

Eagle - A new lakeside restaurant is coming to west Wichita this year

Part of the appeal of the lakefront property is that the restaurant will have two patios overlooking Pier 37.

There will be a room that can accommodate about 75 people upstairs and will have a patio off of it, and another one below. The entire restaurant will be almost 7,000 square feet.

Arnold describes the Deano’s concept as a sports bar that will have 23 TVs and 23 beers on tap.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Andover finally getting something that's not fast food. I know they have a few options, but I'm honestly surprised that there haven't been more sit down options pop up there.

Wichita by EB - First Look at ADV Forest Grill - A new hibachi grill in Andover

There’s a new hibachi grill in Andover, KS. ADV Forest Grill quietly opened last week and we dropped by to check out one of the latest restaurants to pop up in the city that’s relatively short on local dining options.

=================
                420 S. Andover Rd., Andover, KS 67002

Tuesday – Thursday: 10am – 8pm
                Friday – Saturday: 11am – 7pm
                Sunday: 11am – 3pm
                Closed on Monday

Cash/Card Accepted
                =================

The Japanese restaurant in Andover has just one Teppanyaki table towards the back of the restaurant, where diners can watch a chef prepare the food right in front of them. It’s similar to the other options in town, and the chef used to work at one of those restaurants in Wichita.
                I try not to get too judgemental at places that have just opened. There's often a lot of tweaking of things as they find their balance and footing. It's also why I generally wait a bit before going to new places, that and the crowds that sometimes flock to new options.

Sounds like Eddy gave them a solid grade overall but thinks there's a few things they can improve upon. He did say the service was top notch. I may have to get a few of my Andover friends together down the road and check it out.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Best dish at Firebird's?
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Best dish at Firebird's?
                    Appetizers Bacon Deviled Eggs and Lobster Queso.

They really know salmon there and the wood grilled is spectacular. The lobster fondue salmon is a bit over the top, but still excellent.

The cilantro chicken is also excellent, but I'm on a serious cilantro bender of late so I admit a bias.

The port mushrooms are delicious. So are the parmesan potatoes.

The raspberry No-jito mocktail is delicious, and Alex's Lemonade by itself is also great if you don't want a cocktail.

The big daddy chocolate cake is an invitation to a chocolate coma. Bless them.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Appetizers Bacon Deviled Eggs and Lobster Queso.

They really know salmon there and the wood grilled is spectacular. The lobster fondue salmon is a bit over the top, but still excellent.

The cilantro chicken is also excellent, but I'm on a serious cilantro bender of late so I admit a bias.

The port mushrooms are delicious. So are the parmesan potatoes.

The raspberry No-jito mocktail is delicious, and Alex's Lemonade by itself is also great if you don't want a cocktail.

The big daddy chocolate cake is an invitation to a chocolate coma. Bless them.
                      Okay, yeah, the salmon was excellent! Had my eyes on those Bacon Deviled Eggs. Didn't pull the trigger. I wish I had.

You da man!

Comment

• It appears a popular (at least online) BBQ joint has shut its doors. I found the online fans of Angry Elephant rather annoying and pretty much refused to go there because of them, but this was surprisingly abrupt.

WBJ - Popular local barbecue restaurant shows indications of closure

Several calls made by the WBJ to the listed phone number for the southside location went unanswered over the last 24 hours, and the phone number for the North Tyler restaurant was no longer in service when a reporter attempted to call multiple times.

At the west location, no activity was seen early Wednesday evening, and several notice stickers were posted on the front door — and over where the doors would normally open — by vendors stating they had property on site. There was no sign posted, though, from Angry Elephant telling customers that the location had closed.

As of late Thursday morning at 111 E. 47th South, there were no vendor notice stickers, and there was also not a posted sign indicating closure, but no activity was seen on site. The south Wichita location's Facebook page was active as of early Wednesday evening — with a recent post from early January speaking to its catering services and giving no sign of future closure — but the page appeared to be deleted and was no longer publicly accessible by Thursday morning.
                        Now, since I'm playing catch up and if this has been debunked I'll address it when I get to that information lol. I'm too lazy today to check a weeks worth of news before posting.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• My wife and I tried Bella Vita Bistro last night for the first time. Wow! The dinner special was a fork tender filet mignon served over mushroom asparagus grits and veal Demi glacé. Best meal in Wichita for me and it’s not even close.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Derby is finally getting the one thing residents have been clamoring for for years.

AOL - Wichita restaurateur is opening a new steakhouse in Derby

Restaurateur John Arnold wasn’t quite ready for news of his latest venture to go public — he hasn’t even closed on the land — but that’s what has happened since it’s part of a STAR bond district in Derby.

Arnold plans to open Morgan’s Steakhouse — named for his middle name — near a prominent water tower at Freedom and South Rock Road, which is in front of Rock Regional Hospital.

Morgan’s will be a mid-range steakhouse, similar to a Texas Roadhouse, with 11 cuts of steak and a few seafood offerings. Arnold said it won’t be anything like the high-end Greystone Steak & Seafood he once had at Wichita’s Cambridge Market at 21st and Webb Road.

Arnold said Derby officials have “asked me to come there quite a few times.”

“They have wanted a steakhouse for a decade,” he said. “It looked like it was a win-win for us and the city, so we thought we’d give it a try.”
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
                              My wife and I tried Bella Vita Bistro last night for the first time. Wow! The dinner special was a fork tender filet mignon served over mushroom asparagus grits and veal Demi glacé. Best meal in Wichita for me and it’s not even close.
                              Holy salivation, Batman. That looks freaking GOOD!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
                                My wife and I tried Bella Vita Bistro last night for the first time. Wow! The dinner special was a fork tender filet mignon served over mushroom asparagus grits and veal Demi glacé. Best meal in Wichita for me and it’s not even close.
                                Bella Vita is somewhat of a hidden gem. I believe they are located in what used to be a Grinderman Sandwich Shop and they don't do much if any advertising. Pretty much word-of-mouth. Been quite a while since I have dined there but it was excellent in the few times I have been there. Might be worth a drive across town again.

LaMonde Cafe out on West Street is another decent little restaurant in a former fast food (taco) joint.

Comment

Working...
                                X