No announcement yet.

WBB coach announcement today at 1:30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the kind of talent located in KS, recruiting locally is a HUGE deal.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by trshock
      OK, there is still one assistant coach position to be filled. Hope she shows everyone what a really good recruiter she is and recruits Jackie Stiles to fill it!
      Coach Adams said this morning that she has her additional assistant, who will be the recruiting coordinator, lined up but was not quite ready to announce it.

She said the only remaining position to fill on her staff is the DOBO.

She said her and her staff will be hard at work for the Shocks this weekend.

Comment

Regarding Jackie Stiles I'm not sure how interested she is in pursuing a Coaching career. I sensed that she might be leaning more to a career in sports broadcasting.

Stacy Dales certainly has done well with that.

Comment

Not to change the sport, but you know, Gene has done fairly well with local talent against the other two schools "California boys"

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            Regarding Jackie Stiles I'm not sure how interested she is in pursuing a Coaching career. I sensed that she might be leaning more to a career in sports broadcasting.

I remember her saying something about broadcasting. I thought it was odd as I believe she has some sort of speech impediment, which is obvious when hearing her speak. Am I mistaken about that?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

I remember her saying something about broadcasting. I thought it was odd as I believe she has some sort of speech impediment, which is obvious when hearing her speak. Am I mistaken about that?
              No, I have noticed the same thing... maybe she would make a good DOBO? That reminds me, where's our good buddy Dofo?
              :D
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

She may have a little speech impediment, but i don't think it is anything real significant. I thought she did pretty well in the two games she did color commentary on with Bruce Heartl calling the games this year.

Comment

How many open schollies does Jody have for next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                    How many open schollies does Jody have for next year?
                    We had 14 scholarship players on this years roster (including Val Siemens). 4 Seniors have departed and we have two income freshman (at this point) who have signed LOI's. Kayla Rice out of Huntsville, MO and Haleigh Lankster out of Tulsa.

That would give us 12 scholarship players, assuming no defections. I believe WBB is allowed to have 15 scholarships, so if that is correct, Jody has 3 to work with, although at this late date there are probably not any program changers out there.

Not sure how she will handle the kids she may have been recruiting for Murray State.

Comment

We could probably use a little help along he front line as we have only three players taller than 6 feet, Samantha Smith (6'3" Soph), Marcy Sudbeck (6'1" Senior) and Jenn DeGarmo (6"1" Soph) and Jenn DeGarmo is more of a perimeter player.

Here is my very early guess for next year:

At the 5: Sam Smith (6'3" Soph) backed up by Marcy Sudbeck (6'1" Senior)

At the 4: Daria Frazier (5'10" Senior) backed up by Jadhon Kerr (6'0" Soph) - Marcy could also play some 4 ifneeded.

At the 3: Jenn DeGarmo (6'1" Soph) backed up by Haleigh Lankster (5'10" Freshman)

At the 2: Val Siemens (5'10" Soph) backed up in no particular order by Kayla Rice (5'8" Freshman), Frannie Vathauer (5'10" Senior) and Shantel Pointer (5'10" Soph).

At the 1: I think this spot is wide open and an area where Coach Adams will be able to have the greatest immediate positive impact. Jacie Hoyt (5'6" Junior), Whitney Rice (5'7" Senior) and Kayla Rice (5'8" Freshman) all have a shot at the starting spot.

Of course, additional recruits could alter my lineup speculation.

Of course, I guess I will have to defer final say to Coach Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU
                        Originally posted by WSUfan1975
                        I can care less about Stiles being the 3rd assistant. Sure, she played in the conference but she has no real local pull for recruiting despite what some people think.

If local talent is here, then let's get it, but people need to think bigger than Wichita and even bigger than Kansas if we want to get to the NCAA tournament.

The top programs in the country don't worry about recruiting locally, so why should we?

Maybe we should realize that they are getting to the tournament because they are looking at the BEST talent, not just local talent.
                        I'm not sure who was saying that Jackie Stiles has local pull? IMO, she has more of a national name… she’s still a legend in women’s basketball circles. Personally, I don't care who the new coach hires as a 3rd assistant, but she could do a lot worse than Jackie Stiles. Regardless, there are few players in women’s basketball history that were more dedicated and determined than Jackie Stiles… if I were the coach, I would at least give her a courtesy call.

:good:
                        Michael Jordan - Legend
                        Babe Ruth - Legend

Ask anyone who the two above players are and they know even if they don't follow sports. That is a legend my friends! Just for giggles, I asked 15 people today who actually are following the women's tourney if they know who Jackie Stiles is, and all but one said they had never heard of her. That one person attended SMS when she played there.

A national name? That deserves a

Comment

The great thing about bringing a young, successful coach on board is the hope and enthusiam it generates in what has been a rather dormant program.

We can only wish her great success along with our hope that she turns our WBB program completely around in the very near future.

Comment

We could probably use a little help along he front line as we have only three players taller than 6 feet, Samantha Smith (6'3" Soph), Marcy Sudbeck (6'1" Senior) and Jenn DeGarmo (6"1" Soph) and Jenn DeGarmo is more of a perimeter player.

Here is my very early guess for next year:

At the 5: Sam Smith (6'3" Soph) backed up by Marcy Sudbeck (6'1" Senior)

At the 4: Daria Frazier (5'10" Senior) backed up by Jadhon Kerr (6'0" Soph) - Marcy could also play some 4 ifneeded.

At the 3: Jenn DeGarmo (6'1" Soph) backed up by Haleigh Lankster (5'10" Freshman)

At the 2: Val Siemens (5'10" Soph) backed up in no particular order by Kayla Rice (5'8" Freshman), Frannie Vathauer (5'10" Senior) and Shantel Pointer (5'10" Soph).

At the 1: I think this spot is wide open and an area where Coach Adams will be able to have the greatest immediate positive impact. Jacie Hoyt (5'6" Junior), Whitney Rice (5'7" Senior) and Kayla Rice (5'8" Freshman) all have a shot at the starting spot.

Of course, additional recruits could alter my lineup speculation.

Of course, I guess I will have to defer final say to Coach Adams.
                            Good lineup thus far....I'm curious to see how Coach Adams handles the recruits she was already looking at prior to coming here.

What's your guess for next years record 1972?

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
                              The great thing about bringing a young, successful coach on board is the hope and enthusiam it generates in what has been a rather dormant program.

We can only wish her great success along with our hope that she turns our WBB program completely around in the very near future.
                              I beleive she will do a great job here and will turn it around over the next couple of years. Recruiting will be key though! Let's hope she can get soem great players in here and get the team back into a respectable position!

:wsu_posters:

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU
                                I can care less about Stiles being the 3rd assistant. Sure, she played in the conference but she has no real local pull for recruiting despite what some people think.

If local talent is here, then let's get it, but people need to think bigger than Wichita and even bigger than Kansas if we want to get to the NCAA tournament.

The top programs in the country don't worry about recruiting locally, so why should we?

Maybe we should realize that they are getting to the tournament because they are looking at the BEST talent, not just local talent.
                                I'm not sure who was saying that Jackie Stiles has local pull? IMO, she has more of a national name… she’s still a legend in women’s basketball circles. Personally, I don't care who the new coach hires as a 3rd assistant, but she could do a lot worse than Jackie Stiles. Regardless, there are few players in women’s basketball history that were more dedicated and determined than Jackie Stiles… if I were the coach, I would at least give her a courtesy call.

:good:
                                Michael Jordan - Legend
                                Babe Ruth - Legend

Ask anyone who the two above players are and they know even if they don't follow sports. That is a legend my friends! Just for giggles, I asked 15 people today who actually are following the women's tourney if they know who Jackie Stiles is, and all but one said they had never heard of her. That one person attended SMS when she played there.

A national name? That deserves a
                                You obviously asked the wrong 15 people! Oh, and you remind me a lot of my better half… you’d also argue with a stump. I respect your opinion, please respect mine... even though you 100% disagree with it. Jeez!
                                :yahoo: :good: :D
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X