No announcement yet.

Shocker Women Recruiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is some corroborating evidence (assuming this is a different person than @kc_recruits: above) that Marissa Preston has pledged to WSU:

Here is some videos of Marissa. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/947600/#highlights/9692373

I have not viewed any of these videos.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 24, 2012, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
      Even the players who stay aren't always that high on HCJA and her staff, but feel like starting over somewhere else would be harder than finishing out their degrees here. Another strike is nearby programs that have had considerably more success than us, and can have thier pick of any player we are interested in for a large part (Kansas State and even Missouri State, who routinely comes into our backyard and takes players). Our 4th recruit sounds a little like Bugs Jones, with a 3 ball. Not sure i'm all that hot on 2 guards who can't handle the ball, but we will see. Somebodies gonna have to put the ball in the basket after Jess Diamond graduates. My cousin played with Kennedy Kirkpatrick at Free State, and Kennedy had no desire to play for Jody. I'm not saying Jody is the women's equivalent of Billy Gillispie, but its no secret she pushes her players, sometimes too much, and that a lot of players have limped through the end of the year. There were games some of our players were injuried or exhausted and had no business being on the court, but there they were. And in some cases it contributed to losses in close games. These type of things dont go unnoticed by recruits, or their families.
      Have you communicated this information to either Jody or her superior, Becky Endicott? If not I would encourage you to do so in a constructive fashion. I would probably suggest taking this information to Becky, although I can't say it will do any good, but I don't see how it could hurt anything either.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Have you communicated this information to either Jody or her superior, Becky Endicott? If not I would encourage you to do so in a constructive fashion. I would probably suggest taking this information to Becky, although I can't say it will do any good, but I don't see how it could hurt anything either.
        I think one of my comments caused the blood to boil. That is not my intention; nor is it to coach the team or administer the program. I've just been around awhile and I like the women's game as it is still pure, though we are putting too much emphasis on tall girls who can dunk; just like we did with George Miken (widen the key) Chamberlain (widen it more and eliminate the dunk with Lew Alcindor in NCAA; I played under those rules) WSU wanted to show off Jaz dunking which was weak and now I hear Kelsey is fully recovered and dunking in practice. Who cares, just win! Yes, WSU women's hoops is grueling, we just need to keep winning. I've also heard a great player in Haleigh was discarded upon graduation. Anyone know if she is playing? Did HCJA or former pro, coach Gordan help her get a pro shot? The girls are promised that, I'm told in the recruiting realm.

Comment

• Has there every been a women's coach at Wichita State that has pleased the players and fans. I can ever recall one/. Either the players or the fans are always bitching about something.

Comment

• I'm not the first person to notice or post on the fact that Jody has overworked players in the past, sometimes playing them through injury. It's recently been discussed that our players were worn down at the end of the year, and that the hope was that Jody would be in more of a maintenance mode to keep players fresher for the year once the season actually started. I have no desire to open up a can or worms with Jody or Becky. Just having Dana on staff raised enough flags in my opinion. It troubles me if thats true, and Haleigh was tossed aside once she graduated. She gave 4 hard years to the program and played healthy, hurt, point guard, shooting guard, was our best defender, you name it. And yes, every women's coach at wsu has upet either players or fan. I didn't care for Jane Albright but the players loved her. I was a big Daryll Smith fan but the players were split on him. I've been a season ticket holder since Linda Hargrove was here. I wanna see our program win, but I wanna see players enjoying their careers at WSU and looking back on them fondly and expressing that to recruits. That can carry as much weight as winning, and carries way more weight than any recruiting video ever will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
              I'm not the first person to notice or post on the fact that Jody has overworked players in the past, sometimes playing them through injury. It's recently been discussed that our players were worn down at the end of the year, and that the hope was that Jody would be in more of a maintenance mode to keep players fresher for the year once the season actually started. I have no desire to open up a can or worms with Jody or Becky. Just having Dana on staff raised enough flags in my opinion. It troubles me if thats true, and Haleigh was tossed aside once she graduated. She gave 4 hard years to the program and played healthy, hurt, point guard, shooting guard, was our best defender, you name it. And yes, every women's coach at wsu has upet either players or fan. I didn't care for Jane Albright but the players loved her. I was a big Daryll Smith fan but the players were split on him. I've been a season ticket holder since Linda Hargrove was here. I wanna see our program win, but I wanna see players enjoying their careers at WSU and looking back on them fondly and expressing that to recruits. That can carry as much weight as winning, and carries way more weight than any recruiting video ever will.
              WELL SAID 1979. ALL OF MY COACHING MENTORS, INCLUDING COACH WOODEN WOULD AGREE AND BE PROUD OF YOU!

Comment

• Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                I think one of my comments caused the blood to boil.
                That's Ok. Ultimately fans are the bosses. This is our athletic program. These coaches and administrators are our employees. We should be able ot express our opinions, as long as it is done in a mature and constructive fashion.

Comment

• There no doubt is a fine line between pushing players and assistant coaches to their limits and abusing them. Hopefully, Jody knows where that line is. Most players will respect a tough coach who is also fair and puts the players best interests first. Coach Bill Snyder comes to mind as an example. I think Greg Marshall is also a pretty good example of that as WSU, as is Stever Rainbolt and Lambo.

I also was not real happy with the Dana Eikenberg hiring and I continue to be the knife's edge about that. Maybe it will work out. Let's hope so. Dana my be a very good assistant, but a lousy head coach.

The bottom line is that, while very hard work, the kids should look back on their time at WSU as some of the best times of their lives. Let's hope that becomes the trend and not the exception.

Comment

• Recruiting

I've gone back & reviewed what has been said about recruiting here & all I can say is that the posters here are really behind the 8-ball in knowing what is going on. It's nothing like it is for WSU Men's BB. There are a group of sleuths there who keep track of anyone that WSU is looking at & even with all that effort, they are usually not 100 % sure of who is going to come to WSU. But, they are usually pretty close.

For women's basketball at WSU, it is a totally different situation. I talked to Jody about it at the SASO Ice Cream social & what she told me is sufficient to be able to say here that you are all going to be very pleasantly surprised when the LOI signing period comes along in Nov 2012!

Comment

• Ok I look forward to it

Comment

That's Ok. Ultimately fans are the bosses. This is our athletic program. These coaches and administrators are our employees. We should be able ot express our opinions, as long as it is done in a mature and constructive fashion.
                        I understand your point. However, the fans are not the bosses and the coaches and administrators are not employees of the fans, although I think we might do a better job. We need to express our opinions and we need to try to force those in power to do their job and to hold people accountable.

Here is how it needs to work in terms of accountability. The Athletic Director hires the "Associate" Becky Endicott. If Becky Endicott allows the programs
                        under her direction to decline through bad hires and other reasons, then she needs to be held accountable, i.e., fired. If the Athletic Director does not hold
                        someone under him accountable, who is not meeting expectations, then he needs to be held accountable, i.e., fired. The worst thing to allow to happen is that athletic programs are allow to decline for too long, and then they are at a point where it takes years to recover. As some have mentioned above, especially in women's sports, it is a challenge to recruit to WSU, it is even harder to recruit to a struggling program.

Just my thoughts

Comment

• It is harder to recruit I agree,that id way success is a must from this season forward. Beating ksu will really boost our teams confidence

Comment

• To recap based on what we've been able to piece together our 2013 verbal commitments appear to be as follows:

5-9 SG Kayla White, East Central HS, San Antonio, TX

5-11 W Briana Jones, Madison HS, San Antonio, TX

5-11 W Mariah Dapprich, Branson HS, Branson, MO

5-7 G Marissa Preston, Staley HS, Kansas City, MO

Perhaps another suprise waiting for us based on @xazshox: conversation with Jody at the SASO Ice Cream social.

Basektball Early Signing Period: November 14 - 21, 2012

Comment

• Exciting time for the lady shox,wonder what the surprise will be in november......

Comment

To recap based on what we've been able to piece together our 2013 verbal commitments appear to be as follows:

5-9 SG Kayla White, East Central HS, San Antonio, TX

5-11 W Briana Jones, Madison HS, San Antonio, TX

5-11 W Mariah Dapprich, Branson HS, Branson, MO

5-7 G Marissa Preston, Staley HS, Kansas City, MO

Perhaps another suprise waiting for us based on @xazshox: conversation with Jody at the SASO Ice Cream social.

Basektball Early Signing Period: November 14 - 21, 2012
                                I have seen some awfully good players come into the program and leave or graduate disgruntled (Haleigh, perfect example of disgruntled, Crystal, Bree, guards who left after their freshman years). We need to make this a terrific experience for the kids, not just we are the most grueling program and you will be the most fit of anyone. Something is missing and I hope the assistant coaches can fill the gaps. I was pushed very hard in my college playing days, but I only remember the good times with fondness. We were allowed to enjoy our college experience while still knowing we were driven to win championships. It can be done and must for the Women's program to move forward. I think this year it will happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X