No announcement yet.

Mizuno Invitational @ Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, Congrats to Lambo on his 200th win as a head coach (all as a Shocker). Now in his 10th season that moves him into the 20 win/season level.

Hard to believe Lambo has been here a decade although he worked pretty much anonymously for several years.

What a great job he and Shannon, their staff and players have done.

:good: :goshocks: :clap:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      Regarding your 1st point I agree.

And just so I am clear, it has nothing to do with keeping the score down, not throttling the competition or being nice.....I would be just as happy if the scrubs won 25-0.

Game experience is NOTHING like practice. It is important to win, but if you don't prepare the bench, they won't be able to assist when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
        I agree but Feekin would burn a year with little actual setting if she played this year.

Well, you're right, she would burn a year, but frankly that's what athletes do.

Redshirts are for when you have plenty of depth, injuries, or the person isn't ready to compete at the level you want them to....Sara Lungren redshirted because she needed to play against D1 competition as she was not ready.

Chelsey played with some of the best players in the nation. She's ready.

I'm not complaining...more discussing than anything because that's what we do here.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
          Regarding your 1st point I agree.

And just so I am clear, it has nothing to do with keeping the score down, not throttling the competition or being nice.....I would be just as happy if the scrubs won 25-0.

Game experience is NOTHING like practice. It is important to win, but if you don't prepare the bench, they won't be able to assist when the time comes.
          I hear ya, Doc, and I'm still with ya.

Comment

I agree but Feekin would burn a year with little actual setting if she played this year.

Redshirts are for when you have plenty of depth, injuries, or the person isn't ready to compete at the level you want them to....Sara Lungren redshirted because she needed to play against D1 competition as she was not ready.

I'm not complaining...more discussing than anything because that's what we do here.
            But that is exactly it. If Hooper goes down, we can take the redshirt off of Feekin and, given her skill set and the quality of our practices, she should be able to come in and play. If Hooper stays healthy, you put another year between Hooper and Feekin allowing Feekin to start for 2 years after MEH leaves rather than just 1.

I see no reason to waste a year of eligibility for Feekin on the chance that something may go wrong. If it doesn't go wrong, the year is wasted. If it does go wrong, I'm not convinced that having seen some mop up minutes is going to make her much more prepared to be the starter than redshirting and practicing with the team does.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

At Halftime:
              USC 20 25
              Rice 25 21
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

At Halftime:
                USC 20 25
                Rice 25 21
                Rice fell hehind 2-6 in Set 1 then came roaring back to lead 14-9 then coasted to the 1st set win. Key to that comeback run was about 5 blocks.

Rice jumped ahead 4-1 and still led 21-19 before USC scored the last 6 points to take Set 2.

Comment

One of the things with setters also is the timing with the middles...if you're constantly changing them, you'll be changing how it looks for the middles.

Comment

My opinion of ShockerNet is that it doesn't matter. It is fun but it isn't important or serious.

What is important? The efforts of the athletes, the decisions of the coaches and the administration by the WSU Athletic department are the serious, important issues.

This is not intended to diminish the passion or analytical ability of any poster here but just to establish the baseline I use when posting on sports message boards.

Anyway, I think you're wrong, WuDrWu. :D Feekin can be as well prepared by redshirting as by playing minimal minutes. I agree that practice is not the same as actually playing but I think WSU practices are close enough that it doesn't matter. Of course, I could be wrong. ;-)
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Doc, I have to side with Spangler and TMH on the CF redshirt issue (at least for the time being).

The redshirt probably only comes off for one of two reasons. MEH gets injured or MEH is playing lousy. Neither reason is very appealing so I hope it just remains a theoretical discussion.

If Chelsey is as good as advertised it will be interesting to see what Lambo decides to do next year. Perhaps a switch back to the 6-2 used with the Andee and Abby duo. Then we have a whole new set of issues to discuss.

Comment

My opinion of ShockerNet is that it doesn't matter. It is fun but it isn't important or serious.

What is important? The efforts of the athletes, the decisions of the coaches and the administration by the WSU Athletic department are the serious, important issues.
                        I do think the comic relief we provide to any of the Coaches and players that my check the board is important! :D

Comment

I don't think MEH likes the idea of playing the 6-2 but not playing the 6-2 next year potentially wastes the talent and ability of CF, perhaps for two years. My guess is that we play the 6-2 in 2010 (unless there are injuries.)

Comment

I do think the comic relief we provide to any of the Coaches and players that my check the board is important! :D
                            When you're right, you're right.

Comment

Rice pretty much blitzed USC winning Set 3 by a 25-12 to go up 2-1

Comment

Let me ask a dumb question about Chelsey. I have never seen her play, but she is very highly touted and I hear is a very versatile player. Is her future with the Shockers definitely as a Setter or does she have the potential to be our next 6 rotation player to replace Emily Stockman? After all she is 6'1" (an inch taller than Emily). OK, ready, fire, aim!

Comment

Working...
                                X