Mizuno Invitational @ Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mizuno Invitational @ Rice

Next up for Shocks 3 matches Friday and Saturday in Houston as Rice hosts the Mizuno Invitational.

The re-match of Rice and the Shocks is the lead promotion at the Rice website: http://riceowls.cstv.com/

First up for the Shocks is Harvard at 4:30pm Friday. Harvard is 2-2 with wins over Colgate and Stony Brook and losses to Toleda and UConn. Harvard has some decent size and a heavy California flavor (9 players) on their roster. This match is on the internet only.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

The Shocks face a 6-0 South Carolina team at 11:00am on Saturday. The Gamecocks won the Clemson Tournament with wins over host Clemson
    (3-2), College of Charleston (3-1) and Winthrop (3-1). This past weekend they swept Eastern Kentucky, Coastal Carolina and UNC Greensboro at their own Gamecock Invitational. South Carolina also has some good size up and down their roster.

Host Rice is 7-1 with wins over Nicholls State, Central Arkansas, Houston Baptist, San Diego State, Cal State Northridge and San Francisco. They were swept by recent Shocker viction Oklahoma in their only loss of the season to date.

Rice has decent size and I was pretty impressed with them in the 1st round NCAA match with the Shocks last year.

Looks like another decent tournament field to challenge the Shocks. Hopefully, the Shocks can keep it going as the go back on the road.

:goshocks:

I don't know if this is a good omen or a bad omen, but the name of Harvard's Libero is Christine Wu. :blink:

Comment

South Carolina should be highly motivated to play the Shocks for the first time ever:

Gamecocks Narrowly Miss 2008 NCAAs; Is 2009 The Year For The Return?
      The 2008 South Carolina volleyball team made massive progress in returning the program to national prominence, compiling the first 20+ win campaign in six seasons. Five starters return from last year's squad, but none have tasted postseason play of any sort. The squad hopes to end that streak in 2009.

South Carolina has already taken care of one of the knocks against from the NCAA Championship Selection Committee last year. The Gamecocks did not win a "big" road match a year ago, but the season-opener at Clemson proved South Carolina was ready to climb. The 3-2 victory in the hostile Jervey Gymnasium could be just the first of many résumé bullet points for the group to consider.

Comment

Rice will be plenty motivated to take on the Shocks also:

The Owls (7-1) have strung together six consecutive wins since the setback to the Sooners, and not only are they seeking to validate that streak against a nationally-ranked foe, the Owls wouldn't mind gaining a measure of revenge against the program that ended their 2008 season.

"I definitely know that the team is really fired up about playing Wichita State, and I think they also understand that we've got to focus on the execution," Volpe said. "We've got to come up with and have a really strong game plan against Wichita State and stick to it in order to win because Wichita State is one of the better teams in the country.

Comment

Go Shocks! Testing 1,2,3. Testing 1,2,3,4.

My guess is that Mike doesn't realize his comments off the air comments an and conversations are coming through. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, nothing controversial to report.

Shocks up in about 8 minutes.

Comment

is the internet feed working / is it just not working for me?

Comment

nevermind, figured it out

Comment

Go Kim!!
                Go Melissa!!
                Go Stephanie!!
                Go Emily S.!! Go Emily A.!!
                Go Mary Elizabeth!!
                Go Sarah M.!! Go Sarah W.!!

17-5 WSU
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

what's the score?

Comment

nevermind. thanks!

Comment

Wonder wether it's Adney or Wadsworth is taking the swings on the right side...

Comment

25-10
                        7 WSU service errors!!!
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Shocks take Set 1 25-10. 7 of Harvard's points came on Shocker service errors.

I guess that answers the question about whether Harard's Libero being named Christine Wu was a good omen or a bad omen.

Need to clean up those service errors. Shocks did score on 5 Aces.

:goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
                            Both.

As a team, Shocks hit .556 in set 1.

This is going to be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                              Originally posted by dregn
                              Both.

As a team, Shocks hit .556 in set 1.

This is going to be quick and painless.
                              I like "quick and painless."

Comment

Working...
                              X