Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corey Washington 6'6 F Saint Peter's Transfer a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    So this young man is an UNINVITED walk on at St. Peters.

Goes up there and busts his ass and makes the coaches say "we're not letting this kid leave".

His freshman year he starts 24-28 games, defers to the others (witness 70% shooting...only good shots, never forcing) and makes the all Conference Rookie team.

Then from year 1 to year 2 gets twice as good. All Conference first team. Yes, struggled vs Seton Hall and Tennessee (the latter being a top 5 team in the country and perhaps the most athletic).

Once he got settled in last season, averaged 18+ his last 17 games. 77% free throw shooter last year.

Has nearly as many steals (49) and blocks (46) as turnovers (55). Clearly has a high motor and BBIQ.

Plays hard, engaged, determined, chip on his shoulder, scorer, stat sheet stuffer and HCPM isn't bringing him in if he's not a high quality young man.

Yeah.....I'll take an entire roster of guys like this.
    Seems to me like Corey is perhaps a more polished and experienced version of Dalen Ridgnal.

But where Washington made his living was at the foul line, as his high motor and tenacious effort was a foul magnet and then he had the ability to shoot 78.8% on 5.8 attempts per game. Washington’s 150 foul shots attempted last season is 50 more than any Shocker shot last season.

That playing style is a testament to the Sherwood, Ark. native’s journey, as he had zero Division I scholarship offers coming out of high school and flew to Saint Peter’s with his own money to try out for the team. After making an impression during pick-up runs, Washington earned a spot and quickly became the team’s best player within two years.​

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      Rather have a 6'6 PF that plays hard and tough vs a 6"10-11 PF that plays small and soft.
      Facts
      The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        So this young man is an UNINVITED walk on at St. Peters.

Goes up there and busts his ass and makes the coaches say "we're not letting this kid leave".

His freshman year he starts 24-28 games, defers to the others (witness 70% shooting...only good shots, never forcing) and makes the all Conference Rookie team.

Then from year 1 to year 2 gets twice as good. All Conference first team. Yes, struggled vs Seton Hall and Tennessee (the latter being a top 5 team in the country and perhaps the most athletic).

Once he got settled in last season, averaged 18+ his last 17 games. 77% free throw shooter last year.

Has nearly as many steals (49) and blocks (46) as turnovers (55). Clearly has a high motor and BBIQ.

Plays hard, engaged, determined, chip on his shoulder, scorer, stat sheet stuffer and HCPM isn't bringing him in if he's not a high quality young man.

Yeah.....I'll take an entire roster of guys like this.
        TRIGGER WARNING: Sounds like he would have been a perfect player for HOF(f)HCGM as well.

Never a bad thing when a player fits that mold.
        The Assman

Comment

Hpw tall was Evan Wessel? As I recall he was a PF and wasn't a stats stuffer, but it seems like he did OK on a F4 team.

Some posters just like to complain. Especially if it contributes to their "Mills sucks" campaign. If Mills can land this guy I'll take my hat off to him. There's' going to be lots of schools interested in getting him.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            Hpw tall was Evan Wessel? As I recall he was a PF and wasn't a stats stuffer, but it seems like he did OK on a F4 team.

Some posters just like to complain. Especially if it contributes to their "Mills sucks" campaign. If Mills can land this guy I'll take my hat off to him. There's' going to be lots of schools interested in getting him.
            6’5 iirc, but could stroke it from 3
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
            Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

6’5 iirc, but could stroke it from 3
              Evan Wessel's Sr year shooting stats: 32.1%, 26.7%, 46.7%. Career: 36.8%, 30.0%, 46.2%

Judging a PF based on his height, or even off a combination of his height and his historic shooting ability is not a good measure of the value of the player to the team.

Wessel, even with his lack of height and his questionable shooting stats, was an invaluable contributor on a F4 team.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                Some of you may remember Ron Washington back around 1968-69. He was 6'5" 160 lbs. and they called him "the Thin Man From Chicago". A good player!!!
                Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Evan Wessel's Sr year shooting stats: 32.1%, 26.7%, 46.7%. Career: 36.8%, 30.0%, 46.2%

Judging a PF based on his height, or even off a combination of his height and his historic shooting ability is not a good measure of the value of the player to the team.

Wessel, even with his lack of height and his questionable shooting stats, was an invaluable contributor on a F4 team.
                  The proverbial "stick's his nose in the pile" guy (otherwise known as a 'disruptor')...

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

The proverbial "stick's his nose in the pile" guy (otherwise known as a 'disruptor')...
                    Evan's intangibles were about as good as they come. Maybe he was just lucky but most of the teams he played on were winners (regardless of sport) and he was often the guy making a key play at a key moment.

A really good below the rim rebounder.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 30, 2024, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Evan's intangibles were about as good as they come. Maybe he was just lucky but most of the teams he played on were winners and he was often the guy making a key play at a key moment.

A really good below the rim rebounder.
                      Really good basketball sense

Comment

Hopefully he commits during the visit. Sounds like a great fit and gives us 2 years. Geographically good fit as from Little Rock area. Close enough family could watch him play more often

Comment

Matt Renn was another 6'5 PF who did okay

Comment

Any word on how his visit went?

Comment

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
                              Any word on how his visit went?
                              if its a normal visit, i think he's here through today.

Comment

Seems like a fine young man and a nice player.

Comment

Working...
                                X