No announcement yet.

Deontae Hawkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking forward to that time in my life.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      I am looking forward to that time in my life.
      I'm looking forward to that time in your life too :D
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Paul Suellentrop‏@PaulSuellentrop Teddy Hawkins will attend Quakerdale Promise Academy in New Providence, Iowa. #shockers #mvc

New Providence looks to be about half-way between Des Moines and Cedar Falls (about 60 miles from each).

I would think there will not be a whole lot to deter Teddy from focusing on his grades and his basketball in New Providence, population around 230.

Quakerdale appears to be a relatively new prep basketball program.

http://hometeamsonline.com/teams/?u=QUAKERDALESPORTS&s=basketball&t=c

Looks like they play mostly Jucos and small colleges. They did play a couple of games in Hutch last December. This year's schedule not yet available.

Looks like they have a new coach this year:
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 23, 2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• I would think there will be a whole lot to deter Teddy from focusing on his grades and his basketball in New Providence, population around 230.
          Dayton is about the same size as Topeka. Moving from Dayton to a place that small and isolated is going to be quite a shock for a city kid. New Providence is smack dab in the middle of corn country. The nearest town of any size is Ames, which is 40 miles away.

Distractions from basketball and academics is not a question. Being able to tolerate that lack of distractions is the question.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            Dayton is about the same size as Topeka. Moving from Dayton to a place that small and isolated is going to be quite a shock for a city kid. New Providence is smack dab in the middle of corn country. The nearest town of any size is Ames, which is 40 miles away.

Distractions from basketball and academics is not a question. Being able to tolerate that lack of distractions is the question.
            It sounds like an opportunity to grow up and if successful it will say something about his commitment to his goals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Good point and it may be even a bigger shock than you have portrayed. The Dayton MSA is 841,500 people and the Topeka MSA is 224,500. The Dayton area is more comparable to Omaha (MSA of 865,000) than it is to Topeka.

Comment

• Dayton is not only larger than Wichita by itself it is then solid all the way to Cincinnati.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  He verballed to Creighton but they pulled the offer due to academics. I was thinking he also verballed to Dayton, but that may have been more as you described it.
                  I think that all of the talk that he wanted to go elsewhere were rumors that were mentioned on various sites (especially Creighton) at various times during the time that Ford was recruiting him. All we know for certain is that Ford made some inroads on him and WSU jockeyed for position to be the last visit for him and he committed. Everything else was just rumors.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    I think that all of the talk that he wanted to go elsewhere were rumors that were mentioned on various sites (especially Creighton) at various times during the time that Ford was recruiting him. All we know for certain is that Ford made some inroads on him and WSU jockeyed for position to be the last visit for him and he committed. Everything else was just rumors.
                    We do know that Teddy had Creighton stuff plastered all over his FB page before he committed to us. Creighton seemed to be the favorite until they backed off due to academics. They did land his buddy though.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Creighton seemed to be the favorite until they backed off due to academics.
                      Well, give them credit. They've progressed since the days of Kevin Ross.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        We do know that Teddy had Creighton stuff plastered all over his FB page before he committed to us. Creighton seemed to be the favorite until they backed off due to academics. They did land his buddy though.
                        I don't do facebook, but I agree that Creighton fans took that to mean that he was coming to CU. However, he never waivered from visiting WSU (always listed us as one), never verbally committed to CU, he had a strong relationship with Ford, and I think that our coaches were jockeying to be the final visit. He isn't the first recruit to be enamored with each visit. Creighton signed their final jr. college recruit (again the Bluejay fans took that to mean that their coaching staff liked him better and that Teddy's grades weren't good enough for them). It's ironic that Calhoun (the JC recruit) never made it to Omaha. Just another possibility to the views of people who try to read minds instead of waiting for hard news.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                          I don't do facebook, but I agree that Creighton fans took that to mean that he was coming to CU. However, he never waivered from visiting WSU (always listed us as one), never verbally committed to CU, he had a strong relationship with Ford, and I think that our coaches were jockeying to be the final visit. He isn't the first recruit to be enamored with each visit. Creighton signed their final jr. college recruit (again the Bluejay fans took that to mean that their coaching staff liked him better and that Teddy's grades weren't good enough for them). It's ironic that Calhoun (the JC recruit) never made it to Omaha. Just another possibility to the views of people who try to read minds instead of waiting for hard news.
                          I'm sorry, but this wrong in so many ways.

First of all, Creighton fans didn't mistake his facebook page as evidence of a verbal commitment; Teddy gave his verbal commitment when he attended Bluejay madness with his high school teammate and best friend, Andre Yates who had already verballed. Essentially Yates was the main recruiter of Teddy for CU. When it was discovered shortly thereafter that Teddy was not going to make it through admissions, he became available again. I don't beleive he even had a visit scheduled at WSU until after the whole situation with Creighton fell apart. Basically these two HS kids and best friends had made a decision to go to college together. If not for admissions issues at CU, they would be. That is why some CU fans hold out hope that after Teddy gets himself eligible, he may choose to join his best friend at CU.

Secondly, Creighton has yet to sign a single "jr. college recruit" under McDermott, so I have no idea where you got that from. To say that Creighton fans took the signing of this jr. college recruit (which does not exist) to conclude anything is just plain wrong.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm not completely sure where @shockmonster is getting his news. Everything @DoubleJayAlum said is pretty much how I remember everything going and I wasn't getting my info from any BJ sites.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I don't hardly ever go to those BJ sites.............

Comment

• And my thoughts are that although CU may have been his first choice, the fact that WSU has stuck with him and done everything they could to see him through the grades part may keep him loyal to us. Kind of like Ehimen stuck with us despite "bigger" schools trying to move in on him.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X