Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support the return of football at WSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
      Lastly, why invest in a sport that, I believe, will be dead in 40 years?
      Not sure if football will be dead in 40 years. Maybe, maybe not. However, the pool of talent could very well be diminished to the point that fielding a competitive team becomes progressively more difficult for many programs. Even today attracting enough talent to play at WSU may be one of the biggest obstacles to putting together a winning program. WSU had great difficulty with that when it did have a football program. We had some good players over the years, just not enough of them.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 3, 2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
        Methinks Bardo favors football's return; AND, Sexton wasn't on board, therefore... (I love being all "X-files" about this!)
        I doubt what Eric Sexton thought was a huge consideration one way or the other. Now Linwood Sexton maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
          I am not intelligent, but I do happen to know intelligent people. These intelligent people tell me it is a bad idea; therefore, I made an assumption.
          Donald, Donald Trump. Is that you?
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Suellentrop's inevitable clarification piece.

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
              https://twitter.com/ShockerFootball/...36261962760192

Photo was tweeted out by Dr. Bardo.
              Bardo is...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by TxShox View Post
                posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here too.

Again, Bardo is...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                  What we know is a consultant has been hired to study the future of WSU athletics. If the helmet came from the consultants, seems like they see their job as steering the way for football. You don't hire consultants to send you in a direction you don't want.
                  I suppose it is possible Bardo hired a consultant with instructions to give him a report that supports what Bardo would like to hear. However, that would be contrary to what Bardo said he was hiring the consultant to do. To provide guidance on where they should go with the overall athletic program regardless of which direction that takes. Perhaps that statement was simply for public consumption but I will take Bardo at his word at this point.

Does posting a picture of a football helmet and band uniform indicate they are moving toward adding football? Maybe, but I will just take it to mean they haven't totally nixed the possibility of football at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                    I think that's the best argument against bringing back football.

The counter to that is: So for the next 40 years the football conferences will pump football money into their basketball programs. Meanwhile, we'll languish in the MVC while the football schools separate themselves in the sport likely to be football's successor.
                    I'd counter that with this: football's death will not be "sudden"; it will gradually dwindle to a less vaulted status (think soccer, or hockey). It will take a while (5 years? More?) for football to reach a meaningful financial state. I see this as climbing a mountain that is crumbling; we may never make the top before it's gone.

Comment

• Considering today was the first meeting with the consultants we are still aways from any decisions being made. Obviously, Bardo would like to bring football back if it makes sense.

That's the big question -- does it make sense?

Bardo, who surprised his staff with the Tweet, wanted to start a conversation on social media.

While Bardo loves football and is intrigued by the possibilities, he said not to interpret Wednesday as a signal that he intends to revive the sport.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...#storylink=cpy

Comment

I'd counter that with this: football's death will not be "sudden"; it will gradually dwindle to a less vaulted status (think soccer, or hockey). It will take a while (5 years? More?) for football to reach a meaningful financial state. I see this as climbing a mountain that is crumbling; we may never make the top before it's gone.
                        Careful, huckleberry...

;-)

Comment

It will take a while (5 years? More?) for football to reach a meaningful financial state.
                          I would argue that during the 1st 5 years the competitive state of the program will be more important than the financial state. We will have to be on firm financial ground for the long-term before even embarking on reviving football. But if we don't build a program that can be competitive it won't matter much. We certainly don't want to end up like Missouri State.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                            A reliable source tells me that "Pride of the Prairie" was trademarked months ago by the university.
                            Is there a way for us to find out?

Comment

• Originally posted by DPruett2333 View Post
                              Is there a way for us to find out?
                              I looked it up at the .gov site I googled, and it didn't show as registered to WSU, so maybe my reliable source isn't so reliable. The only one active I see for it is owned by a grain mill in Atchison.
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                                I looked it up at the .gov site I googled, and it didn't show as registered to WSU, so maybe my reliable source isn't so reliable. The only one active I see for it is owned by a grain mill in Atchison.
                                So now you're telling me there are shadow corporations involved? It sounds more real by the minute!

Comment

Working...
                                X