Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support the return of football at WSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you support the return of football at WSU?

Due to the complexity of the options I am putting this here instead of on the front page. Please vote according to the following options:

Option 1 - Yes. I don't care how it's funded, just get it done.

Option 2 - Yes. Half of the football scholarships should be endowed. I support raising student fees to subsidize operating costs.

Option 3 - Yes. All football scholarships should be endowed. I support raising student fees to subsidize operating costs.

Option 4 - Yes. All football and additional women's scholarships should be endowed. I support raising student fees to subsidize operating costs.

Option 5 - Yes. All football and additional women's scholarships should be endowed. I do NOT support raising student fees to subsidize operating costs.

Option 6 - No. I do not support the return of football.

i voted for option 3 but...

i just don't want the other successful programs to fall into a state of decline just to have a football team

Comment

I went with option 5.

I agree with InWu, I think that football should have to prove that it can stand on its own, and it should have no direct impact on the existing programs which are almost all enjoying a lot of success. Meaning that football and the adjoining womens sports should be like a seperate account in the athletic budget, that way they serve themselves without impacting the other programs. And conversely if for some reason say Mens BBall started to bleed, it could not rely on a successful football program to bail it out. Probably not doable, but that is how I think it should happen.

Comment

I think Options 5 & "6" (No) are effectively No votes (unless money appears by "magic"). 49% voted "No."
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I went with 1. It's an absolute joke WSU has no football and it should be brought back using any means necessary. Unfortunantly, I have a feeling a fairly large number of people want nothing to do with football and it's showing in this poll somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
            I think Options 5 & "6" (No) are effectively No votes (unless money appears by "magic"). 49% voted "No."
            Perhaps. But if option 5 wasn't there, I bet a majority would vote for #4.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
              Not me. Probably not many students. Some students but not many. I was with a group of 15-20 students last month and asked them about increasing student fees for football; one was in favor and the rest were opposed.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

What is the cost of a scholarship? Using $20,000 and assuming Div-1 limit of 85 ships and a 7% return, the scholarship endowment fund would require nearly $25,000,000.

Adding additional women's ships to that would double the requirement to $50,000,000.

That looks like a certain "NO" vote to me.

I voted #1
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I voted an emphatic 'NO'. Takes too much money, tuitions are high enough, and hard for students to make now, Div II would not fly at all around here, would take away from other sports too much, mainly Basketball and Baseball.

We are winning the All Around trophy now, for how many years now?

NO - NO - NO, Football wasn't that good when we had it anyway.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: if you must but you diehards need to going ahead an die on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                    Might be interesting to re-run the poll with only options 1, 3, and 5.
                    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I went with 4, but was stuck between 3/4

If Football is brought to WSU, I think a way needs to be found to make it self sustaining...I don't neccessarily think that the scholly's need to be endowed, but the program shouldn't be allowed to run in the red.

i would be ok with a small to moderate increase in student fees...in exchange for cheap/free student tickets.

Football is something that i think can be of value to a student population as a whole, so having them chip in is okay, they just shouldn't be funding it.

Comment

If there is this much division over whether to get football , how to get football, what kind of football, I'm sure JS will table football for along time. Or until a large majority of fans come beating down his door with cash in hand.

Comment

1 all the way baby!

This is a much different era than when WSU last had football. Back when the Shockers were throwing around the pigskin basketball in Kansas was king. Now it's not even close... I'm not a huge football fan but am fully aware of the void it leaves at my school.

T

...8)

Comment

IF football ever returns to WSU and we're still part of the Valley, it would definitely be DII ball. I don't think this is bad either. We have a much higher chance of sucess at the DII level and virually no chance of success at DI. Besides, the other Valley teams are DII in the Gateway. Questions to ask SIU: How has the change from DI to DII been accepted by your fans; what are the differences in cost; how has football affected your other sports? I believe more people will come out to see and support successful DII ball than an unsuccessful DI program. Hey, the fans want to have fun, tailgate, and enjoy a football game. Does it really matter at what level? We have NO football now.

Comment

All Gateway teams play what used to be known as D1AA. Emporia State and Pittsburg State play DII football.

Comment

Working...
                              X